Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Cool to see the jobs and growth government presiding over yet another set of massive layoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.
I think you'll find this is an agile™ business decision.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

Cool to see the jobs and growth government presiding over yet another set of massive layoffs.

To be fair, what's the headcount at NBNco?

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Someone tell us the insider hot goss on wtf is going on with telstra.

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

incompetence

trunkh
Jan 31, 2011

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

If I was to guess the NBN has hosed up their incumbent market share that they previously depended upon.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

MysticalMachineGun posted:

There was a time that countries ignoring the UN or the UNHRC would receive condemnation from the West, and now it's us who are doing it :smith:

actually there was never a time that this was true

torture has always had a positive correlation with US aid in latin america for instance

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
https://twitter.com/MattDoran91/status/1009244846513479680

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

australia was also, if not outright supportive, at the very least silently complicit in the various US-backed mass slaughters of millions in indonesia and timor

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
President used his vote to break the Senate deadlock on splitting the tax plan. There will be no split.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

That's a shame. For both accounts.

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

You Am I posted:

That's a shame. For both accounts.

I live in Batman and I don't mind them changing it to honour an indigenous advocate.
John Batman was kind of a scumbag

*edit* also William Cooper has an amazing moustache

EoinCannon fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Jun 20, 2018

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

All batmen are terrible

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

While it was a funny name, it's a good thing we don't have an electorate named after an insane colonial figure.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Tokamak posted:

While it was a funny name, it's a good thing we don't have an electorate named after an insane colonial figure.

*posted from the state of Victoria*

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

boo batman boo
boo

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Synthbuttrange posted:

:thunk:

EoinCannon
Aug 29, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Synthbuttrange posted:

Obviously we change this name when we become a republic

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I think Victoria is a nice name.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

JBP posted:

I think Victoria is a nice name.

for a clown state to have

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

i reckon we should rename our state charles

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jonah Galtberg posted:

actually there was never a time that this was true

torture has always had a positive correlation with US aid in latin america for instance

US politicians suffer no consequences for ignoring or supporting genocide. The US doesn't recognise the ICC, why are they even bothering with a human rights organisation they ignore when it's convenient? They're not even embarrassed.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Seriously why even have the council at all. The US is actually right while being wrong. It's a dumb joke.

Mr Chips
Jun 27, 2007
Whose arse do I have to blow smoke up to get rid of this baby?

trunkh posted:

If I was to guess the NBN has hosed up their incumbent market share that they previously depended upon.
the fixed line residential services were getting very expensive to operate (turns out that if all you ever do is patch things up for 20 years it all falls to poo poo). Telstra must have been pissing themselves laughing for getting paid to give that burden to NBNco, and then getting paid to do all the remediation they had avoided doing.

Now that NBN TC-2 services are available, it has shaken up the business ethernet services market a bit.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
At least your state has a name.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Telstra and Optus are moving into a bunch of non-PSTN-related markets now that tech is dead, and their infrastructure burdens were removed by an idiot in a top hat. They subcontract a bunch of firms out to do all manner of professional services networking stuff, from building cabling through to large Wi-Fi networks.

Optus are also an agent for CISCO over here and do a lot of supply for large enterprises, so yeah they've both been diversifying for a while. Add their still highly relevant cellular networks, and they're by no means in trouble at all, and even without the massive fixed-line asset selloffs, they would have been absolutely fine.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

The overwhelming majority of Telstra's revenue from their retail branch is from residential mobile services, the business division is probably the one downsizing the most though because a 10/10mbit BDSL connection was going for something like 35-40k a month on contract previously.

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Pauline Hanson doesn’t know how the tax system works lol

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

BBJoey posted:

Pauline Hanson doesn’t know how anything works

racing identity
Apr 5, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

JBP posted:

The composition on this photo my mate took is absolutely :discourse:

duuuuuuh, no peg
*toilet flush*

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

JBP posted:

Seriously why even have the council at all. The US is actually right while being wrong. It's a dumb joke.

The UNAA got the current federal gov to agree to the SDG's. Doesn't mean they'll actually follow them, but it's another stick to beat them with.

There's several steps between action by the UN and actual outcomes by governments but it does tie together a lot of anti-corruption, pro-sustainability etc types that would otherwise be too busy sneering at eachother from behind political party flags.

Plus they control the drugs that go into the water supply so it's best not to think-crime too much about the UN.

gucci bane
Oct 27, 2008

The UN has done a lot for the women peace and security agenda

bell jar
Feb 25, 2009

gucci bane posted:

The UN has done a lot for the women peace and security agenda

:roflolmao:

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
https://twitter.com/SBS/status/1009323333756674049

Good intervention, Mal.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-20/this-is-the-first-indigenous-run-police-station-in-australia/9861778

quote:

The first entirely Indigenous-run police station in Western Australia is using cultural ties to gain the trust of a remote Aboriginal community.
Not far from the Northern Territory border, Warakurna in Western Australia is policed by two sworn Aboriginal officers who also cover two other nearby communities.
Since they began working there in late 2017, the officers have been making inroads in gaining the respect of residents.
Aboriginal elder, Daisy Ward, said the community had not been accustomed to police officers from a similar cultural background and had previously feared their presence.
"When the first Indigenous police came, the kids didn't know until I told them: 'Listen, you know those two [police officers]? They're like us,"
said Ms Ward, who has lived in Warakurna all her life.
"For the community, they are really happy because they know how the two Indigenous police work with the [community]. And how they've come to make a good relationship.
"Because they were friendly, the [community] knew they were Indigenous. They knew they were not scared to talk."
Warakurna officer-in-charge, Revis Ryder, said he hoped to become a role model for younger Indigenous people in the community.
Youth crime had "dropped off dramatically" since last year, according to Senior Sergeant Ryder, who is also the local footy coach.
"You hear stories when you go into schools when you speak to kids — 'what do you want to be when you grow up?'
"I'm hoping the kids in Warakurna say they want to be police officers, and I'm hoping that has come about because of myself and [Sergeant Wendy Kelly]."
He said that since the station was staffed with only Indigenous officers, youth crime had fallen as a result of their engagement and outreach with the community.
"That's something that since I've been here, it's dropped off dramatically," he said.

Deaths in police custody, racial profiling and a national incarceration rate more than a dozen times higher than non-Indigenous people have all contributed to a mistrust of law enforcement among Aboriginal people.
But in Warakurna, residents wave at the police as they drive past, and children greet the two officers with smiles and cheers when they stop by a local school.
Ms Ward said with two Aboriginal officers now working in their community, the people in Warakurna had started to see the police differently.
"Before [the community here] used to be scared of the police. Now they see the police are here to help. [The community] are looking at this and thinking 'yes, we are not scared'," Ms Ward said.
"It makes the community feel proud to have an Indigenous person who is the same like us, and it makes a good feeling."

Senior Sergeant Ryder, who previously played football for East Fremantle and whose son Paddy plays for Port Adelaide in the AFL, is also the local footy coach.
On Saturday afternoons, he marshals a group of roughly a dozen young men at the red dirt footy oval in the community, going over strategy for the match.
"It's good when Revis is there. We listen to him because he's Indigenous," said local footy player, 17-year-old Isiah Cooke.
"He can understand us too when we talk to him.
He's a good coach too."

Warakurna, after which the famous Midnight Oil song takes its name, is nestled at the foot of the towering Rawlinson ranges.
Senior Sergeant Ryder and Sergeant Kelly work in a multi-purpose office they share with the Northern Territory police as well as other WA Government agencies.
At one end is a little-used courthouse that the officers have turned into a makeshift gym — across from where the magistrate sits, there are weight machines, a treadmill and an elliptical trainer.
Sergeant Kelly said she wanted to see more police stations follow the successful all-Indigenous police model used at Warakurna.
"I actually worked with a young fellow who was from his own community when he joined and it worked brilliantly," she said.
"We need more, absolutely.
"There is a lot of negativity about police and stuff like that, so for me [it's about] getting out there and promoting a positive role as a police officer."

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Now that's a perfect candidate for funding cuts

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Better get out my typewriter and bang out a piping hot oped about these racist aborigines.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
Natalie Joyce has done an unpaid interview with Women's Weekly, one of the topics is Barnaby and Campion

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

bandaid.friend posted:

Natalie Joyce has done an unpaid interview with Women's Weekly, one of the topics is Barnaby and Campion

This loving country I swear.

I would blow Dane Cook fucked around with this message at 09:40 on Jun 20, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

JBP posted:

Better get out my typewriter and bang out a piping hot oped about these racist aborigines.

I think that you'll find that as someone born in Australia I too am indigenous.

*shits pants*

Also, what is nuance.