Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Elephant Parade posted:

:psyduck: if you hate writing NPCs, maybe don't set your game in a city, one of the most populous (and therefore NPC-filled) locales imaginable

She actually explains that the whole city setting wasn't ever her creation.

I see. So what inspired Reborn as a decrepit cityscape full of... frankly not very nice people? posted:

That's a little difficult to say because I actually wasn't there for it. It was pretty early on in the league's life, like maybe the first week or so. My understanding is that after I had signed off one night, some of the users there made up a story about Reborn (as a server) falling into ruin because I was gone. In their story, Reborn was a city, and I was gone for a long period of time rather than over night. And that somehow is what caused the city to fall into ruin. Later, one of those users started drawing a webcomic based off of that premise. The comic didn't get too far, but it was what started the Team Meteor stuff, and the artist was the same one I got the Meteor characters from. So basically, that was all his bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

OgretailFood posted:

As a Kiseki/Trails fan, this hurts me

Few people are capable of Falcom's level of worldbuilding.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Onmi posted:

She actually explains that the whole city setting wasn't ever her creation.

...that doesn't mean she had to use it. It's her game. Unless someone was holding her at gunpoint and insisting she use their random fan setting.

Then again, add me to the list of people unable to understand why you'd write a Pokemon game if you hate writing and all the Pokemon mechanics.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

If I came across a master ball in the wild, you bet your rear end I'm going- OH poo poo WHY IS IT BLOWING UP.

FPzero
Oct 20, 2008

Game Over
Return of Mido

At least, at least, everyone other than Fern shown in this update is pretty horrified by what just happened instead of brushing it off. But then suddenly ghost leader shows up and takes the body

:ok:

Also, does anyone else find it kind of jarring that the interiors of buildings are super colorful and immaculately clean when the exterior city is a garbage mess and falling apart? Some visual design whiplash right there...

Like Clockwork
Feb 17, 2012

It's only the Final Battle once all the players are ready.

Black Robe posted:

...that doesn't mean she had to use it. It's her game. Unless someone was holding her at gunpoint and insisting she use their random fan setting.

Then again, add me to the list of people unable to understand why you'd write a Pokemon game if you hate writing and all the Pokemon mechanics.

Yeah, I feel like the point of making a fan anything is that you can do what you want without being bound to the expectations of the original, for better or worse? So deliberately choosing a setting and engine she hates for a fangame is extremely baffling.

(Like, a real time Pokémon game would probably be bad, but Reborn is already bad sooooooo)

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The part that's most confusing is that if you're (at best) bored with most of Pokemon's mechanics, why would you make your community project far wider in scope than any official game by several orders of magnitude?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

burn this game with fire and scatter the ashes, jfc

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

As bad as everything else is, I'll at least give them one point for having everyone that isn't a horrible poo poo named Fern not just ignore the death. Like, it's still not great to have as a thing, but at least the NPCs are reacting to it in a fitting way.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Onmi posted:

Long story short, I decided that it was kinda lovely to ascribe reasonings behind decisions to the devs without, ya know... asking them... so I did.

https://pastebin.com/2ahMj4ZW

This is an interview I conducted just today with Amethyst, the head developer on Reborn, it is full of massive, Massive spoilers. I am not joking, if you want this experience to be unsullied, do not click this link. However, It was a rather pleasant conversation and I got a lot of insight into why Reborn was done the way it was. Mind you, I still don't agree with it, but now I at least know why things were dumb.

Saving this for reference after the LP is done.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."
I'm reminded here of the Pokemon Quartz LP, which also included an interview with the developer. However, in the case of Quartz, Baro proved to be surprisingly self-aware about how bad Quartz turned out, and admitted he didn't do a great job. Amethyst seemed to be doing everything in her power to gloss over or excuse the terrible poo poo in Reborn and her role in presenting it in the worst possible light. I mean, I can almost understand the impulse to want to present this whole... thing as you best remember it, but there's a point where a developer/writer with good judgement will go "this is obnoxious/creepy/offensive/ill-conceived/mind-bogglingly tone deaf, let's change it for the sake of making something not lovely".

MightyPretenders
Feb 21, 2014

See, this is why they assume that the criticism is fake. Because it's a simpler explanation than that anyone didn't recognize a coping mechanism when they saw it.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
Ghost Janitor was not on my list of possibilities for what would happen here.

Mainly because I didn't know there was a ghost.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009
I'll say that for how incredibly hideous the background and, well, everything, surrounding this plot point is, Victoria and Shelly are actually depicted really well here. That's..... not exactly much, but it's there.

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

I, for one, am mostly satisfied by the interview because it confirms something I always suspected: Even though the game has gotten popular, it's still being made for the original group. So we're all pretty much rubbernecking a lategame session out of someone else's D&D campaign and missing all the years of out of character context.

What DM hasn't made some terrible technical game design decision or dark joke that would horrify the general public because s/he knew it would go well at that particular table?

Viewed that way, no wonder they're sour about outside criticism. It's genuinely their thing more than ours, and it probably feels like we're interrupting their fun to say they aren't playing the Right Way or enjoying the Right Things.

That said, Reborn is still terrible by objective measures. Those just aren't the ones I'm inclined to apply anymore because nobody objective was ever intended to notice it, let alone pay attention.

Sorites fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jun 20, 2018

Bible Ian Black
Jul 16, 2009

I'M THE GUY
WHO SUCKS

PLUS I GOT
DEPRESSION
oh good two of the gym leaders are identical

Sorites
Sep 10, 2012

iospace posted:

If I came across a master ball in the wild, you bet your rear end I'm going- OH poo poo WHY IS IT BLOWING UP.

I just now figured out what was up with those Electrodes in RSE's team hideout.

Keldulas
Mar 18, 2009

Sorites posted:

I, for one, am mostly satisfied by the interview because it confirms something I always suspected: Even though the game has gotten popular, it's still being made for the original group. So we're all pretty much rubbernecking a lategame session out of someone else's D&D campaign and missing all the years of out of character context.

What DM hasn't made some terrible technical game design decision or dark joke that would horrify the general public because s/he knew it would go well at that particular table?

Viewed that way, no wonder they're sour about outside criticism. It's genuinely their thing more than ours, and it probably feels like we're interrupting their fun to say they aren't playing the Right Way or enjoying the Right Things.

That said, Reborn is still terrible by objective measures. Those just aren't the ones I'm inclined to apply anymore because nobody objective was ever intended to notice it, let alone pay attention.

I'll say that it's still fair to apply objective measures to them on the basis that this is something publicly available to the whole wide world. So, objective measures is largely what we have to judge the content.

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Sorites posted:

Someone released it in the wild for the internet. That person was either the original developer or a giant rear end in a top hat if it wasn't said developer.

When you, an author, release something for public perusal either consciously or due to peer pressure, you need to be prepared for the death of the author.

The fact of the matter is that whether or not it was made for public consumption, it was released for public consumption and needs to be held to those standards.

e:f;b

Keldulas posted:

I'll say that it's still fair to apply objective measures to them on the basis that this is something publicly available to the whole wide world. So, objective measures is largely what we have to judge the content.

Carpator Diei
Feb 26, 2011

KataraniSword posted:

Someone released it in the wild for the internet. That person was either the original developer or a giant rear end in a top hat if it wasn't said developer.

When you, an author, release something for public perusal either consciously or due to peer pressure, you need to be prepared for the death of the author.

The fact of the matter is that whether or not it was made for public consumption, it was released for public consumption and needs to be held to those standards.

I'm saving the interview for later, but I tend to agree here; after all, in the best of cases, judging something as a work of art that can be good or bad according to specific standards provides ways to learn and improve. If the creator doesn't want to improve because the game was just meant to be a personal source of amusement for her and her friends, that's perfectly alright; but if you make something like that available to people outside the intended group, those people don't really have another way of engaging with it except on more or less non-personal grounds.

And even a game like Reborn actually has lots of potential for improvement. Having recently learned that a grimdark post-apocalyptic Scooby-Doo reboot is apparently raking in tons of positive reviews, I'm starting to believe that the fundamental problem is not even the attempt to make a cheery children's story dark and edgy; it's the complete failure to understand the most basic tenets of a good story, a good setting, a good battle system, a good anything. I actually think a premise like Reborn's could work, but it would have to relate to the more widely known themes of Pokémon in an interesting way (that is, through more than a constant barrage of moments that say nothing except "Look, this is Pokémon, but mature! Look how mature this is! This is so much more mature than Nintendo's stuff!").

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
The interview makes it clear that Reborn's fatal flaw has nothing to do with its premise or design or anything like that. It's that the creator is completely uninterested in the source material she's working with, but continues to make more and expand its scope because...???

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Except that falls apart when you remember that they've since made many changes to the game based on that other audience. Removing good Pokemon and ways to cheese the bosses or beat them in unintended ways, etc. That's downright spiteful.

Saladin Rising
Nov 12, 2016

When there is no real hope we must
mint our own. If the coin be
counterfeit it may still be passed.

One thing from the interview that puzzles me:

quote:

-I wanted the player to continue developing their team throughout the entire game. Since our league had eighteen badges, I knew it was going to be a long game if I continued it (and at the time I started making it, I assumed I'd just get bored and drop it after a month or so).

That means I had to space out available Pokemon so the player would want to keep catching new things as the game went on, and it meant holding TM and tutor moves largely for the part of the game after which Pokemon stop learning new levels. I always get bored of playing Pokemon games once my team is fully evolved and has all the stuff I want it to have, so this was pretty important to me.
--
Aside from that, one of the other things I like about this game is how often people say things like, "I never looked at X mon before but after using it in Reborn I've come to really appreciate it!" Like I'm all for people expanding their horizons and giving the less popular pokemon a place to shine in the early game. But that can't happen if everyone's just gonna use the same set of favorite/OU mons.
I get what she's going for here (it's why I like Colosseum, which is what Reborn wishes it could be), but if you want the player to have a diverse team then TM, tutor, and bred moves are the thing that encourages that: see the Close Combat Growlithe we were just given. Close Combat gives you a reason to consider adding Growlithe to your team rather than just saying "meh, I've already got a fire type".

I played through X with an Elemental Punch Buneary (bred by someone on the forums) and it was both hilarious and something I couldn't have done normally. Many Pokemon have absolutely abysmal level-up movesets but become powerhouses when they have access to TM/tutor/breeding moves.

E:

quote:

However, I liked the effect [the level cap] had on the game overall to discourage "get more levels" as the primary strategy to beat a tough battle. I don't like grinding; neither do most players, and that made sure that grinding wasn't always the best way. So I leaned into it heavily.
Confirmed: Amethyst does not know that there are forms of grinding other than level grinding, and that this game is full of them.

Saladin Rising fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jun 21, 2018

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Carpator Diei posted:

Having recently learned that a grimdark post-apocalyptic Scooby-Doo reboot is apparently raking in tons of positive reviews[...]

Wait, what?

Seaogre
Oct 10, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

TALLY OF ATROCITY:
. . .
Abols: 2

I think there's a typo here.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Onmi posted:

Long story short, I decided that it was kinda lovely to ascribe reasonings behind decisions to the devs without, ya know... asking them... so I did.

https://pastebin.com/2ahMj4ZW

This is an interview I conducted just today with Amethyst, the head developer on Reborn, it is full of massive, Massive spoilers. I am not joking, if you want this experience to be unsullied, do not click this link. However, It was a rather pleasant conversation and I got a lot of insight into why Reborn was done the way it was. Mind you, I still don't agree with it, but now I at least know why things were dumb.
Also saving for my reference once the LP is closer to the end, thanks.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010

EponymousMrYar posted:

Ghost Janitor was not on my list of possibilities for what would happen here.

Mainly because I didn't know there was a ghost.

:same:

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received

Seaogre posted:

I think there's a typo here.

It's Absols

Epicmissingno
Jul 1, 2017

Thank gooness we all get along so well!

No, you see, the plural of Absol is also Absol. I know this because I have intimate knowledge of Pokemon's Deepest Lore and also the fact that the plurals of all the Pokemon names we know of are the same as the singulars.

Not that anyone ever uses that terminology, least of all me.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
I refuse to the accept that the plural of Snorlax is anything but Snorlaxen.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

The plural of Gengar is Gengii

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

:yeah:

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

azren posted:

Wait, what?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scooby_Apocalypse

I've read some of it. It's better than it sounds. :shrug:

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

Onmi posted:

I was just talking with a friend of mine and he brought up a really good point. Do Level limits, sure, if you really wanna prevent grinding, but like... prevent pokemon from leveling if you want to do that. And then say... make it like Shadow Pokemon, capped pokemon bank EXP So when you get the next badge, any EXP they would have gained, they gain after.

That seems like it would require more programming expertise than the dev team seems to have. This version probably only needs you to change a flag in the code so that all Pokemon are traded but don't get bonus exp.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Arkanian posted:

That seems like it would require more programming expertise than the dev team seems to have. This version probably only needs you to change a flag in the code so that all Pokemon are traded but don't get bonus exp.

Not an excuse, if you can make all those field effects, you can do this, you can't tell me that there's no Pokemon Essentials Shadow Pokemon code.

http://pokemonessentials.wikia.com/wiki/Shadow_Pok%C3%A9mon

Yes, there is.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Scooby-Doo in the apocalypse is probably not even top ten weirdest Scooby-Doo things.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
So.

Odd question: what is this bridge to? What is this bridge over? It seems like a big stone bridge connecting one part of the city to another part of the city by crossing over a third part of the city.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

PoptartsNinja posted:

Odd question: what is this bridge to? What is this bridge over? It seems like a big stone bridge connecting one part of the city to another part of the city by crossing over a third part of the city.

Perhaps the city planners were inspired by the famously pedestrian-friendly city of Yharnam?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

:perfect: