Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Mimimum Bid system? Why is this shocking?

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Uh oh

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

IDR joke

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Agreement, sensible chuckle.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I’m pretty sure he’s an idiot. None of those checks require storing anything in plaintext or even in a reversibly encrypted form. Storing hashes of 5 prev passwords is trivial to check against, and it’s possible to know that a password is too close to a previous password if you know the entire hash/salting process.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Mr. Nice! posted:

I’m pretty sure he’s an idiot. None of those checks require storing anything in plaintext or even in a reversibly encrypted form. Storing hashes of 5 prev passwords is trivial to check against, and it’s possible to know that a password is too close to a previous password if you know the entire hash/salting process.

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

not sure there is some very good general trick for it, one can of course store a bunch of additional hashes for something like a rolling window of the password; for every 16-character section of the password (pad if necessary) store the hashes resulting from each way of replacing 3 (likely consecutive to make it manageable, the description may be for a sufficient but not necessary requirement) symbols with 'XXX'

surely, even properly salted, it becomes a dangerous game from a brute-forcing perspective though

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

what's more likely: that they did an elaborate and highly technical thing which would require storing over a thousand variations of a single password

or that they just are loving morons

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Heh, MyPay is terrible.

-SOF Marine

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

LingcodKilla posted:

-an SOF Marine

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

LingcodKilla posted:

-a SOF Marine

A SOF Marine
May 29, 2013

Time Crisis Actor
Apr 28, 2002

by Hand Knit

MODS!?!!

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2018/06/15/fired-co-unit-lost-grenades-machine-gun-head-afsoc-security.html

I’m sure this guy has learned a lot and will never make a mistake again.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006

Promoted to be somebody else's problem.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

I literally brought this up in the yospos thread a year ago

They explained how it’s entirely possible if they are keeping some
Few hundred different permutations of your password hash

I still think they’re storing passwords in reversible ciphers rather than salted hashes

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

You can buy 762 NATO links online, right? Holy gently caress an M240 would be absolutely amazing if you were planning a massacre or something.

Other than turning it in, best case scenario is some militia nut pays $5k for it and packs it in Cosmoline and buries it forever. But for anyone looking to cause trouble it would be significantly more awesome than a semi-auto FAL or whatever. Extra chaos points if you can find a trained machine gunner who knows how to set up fields of fire and plunging fire and poo poo.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

You can buy 762 NATO links online, right? Holy gently caress an M240 would be absolutely amazing if you were planning a massacre or something.

Other than turning it in, best case scenario is some militia nut pays $5k for it and packs it in Cosmoline and buries it forever. But for anyone looking to cause trouble it would be significantly more awesome than a semi-auto FAL or whatever. Extra chaos points if you can find a trained machine gunner who knows how to set up fields of fire and plunging fire and poo poo.

Far Cry 5 is a documentary.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

You can just buy belted 7.62. I bought some at a gun show years ago for cheap, because the guy said no one wanted to buy linked. I bought 200 rounds for 100$ OTD. I still have some linked, because why the gently caress not.

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

holy poo poo

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Overeducated old E3 stuck in the barracks here.

My 18 year old roommate bought a mustang, it got repoed and now he’s talking about buying a Jeep because of course.

His girlfriend practically lives with us too but I don’t mind that because at least she cleans stuff.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

My 18 year old roommate bought a mustang, it got repoed and now he’s talking about buying a Jeep because of course.

His girlfriend practically lives with us too but I don’t mind that because at least she cleans stuff.

When I was going through Tech School, I bought a Craigslist Jeep Cherokee for $500, was a great daily.

Our Dorm's back parking lot was filled with brand new Mustangs, Camaros, Hondas, etc. Many of which were abandoned by previous students who had moved on to their first unit, and just stopped paying for the vehicle.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
I’ve got some great solutions for your chain of command

Don’t allow vehicles at the barracks. Can’t have a car without somewhere to leave it! And don’t allow people in barracks off base. Can’t find a stripper wife if you never leave the barracks!

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

SpaceSDoorGunner posted:

how old are you?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

M_Gargantua posted:

I’ve got some great solutions for your chain of command

Don’t allow vehicles at the barracks. Can’t have a car without somewhere to leave it! And don’t allow people in barracks off base. Can’t find a stripper wife if you never leave the barracks!

Somewhere, a bunch of NCOs just shuddered as they had "Seargent, can I borrow your car to do appointments" was whispered into their collective ears...

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Lol with trumps announcement he may actually get his chance to be a space door gunner.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Nice and hot piss posted:

how old are you?

Mid 20’s

Automatic Retard
Oct 21, 2010

PUT THIS WANKSTAIN ON IGNORE

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

it's not wrong

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

AF will just try to convert them to christianity or purge them otherwise.

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this

Does he mean give them enlistment papers?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

It makes it sound like it would be consensual.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Are there stripper poles at Alpha Centauri?

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Yeah but if you want a real show you go on Thursdays when they dance with, and serve beer from, Klein bottles.

Diarrhea Elemental
Apr 2, 2012

Am I correct in my assumption, you fish-faced enemy of the people?

Steezo posted:

Yeah but if you want a real show you go on Thursdays when they dance with, and serve beer from, Klein bottles.

Nerd.

Smiling Jack
Dec 2, 2001

I sucked a dick for bus fare and then I walked home.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

https://i.imgur.com/ApVG11p.jpg

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Steezo posted:

You can get that here.

Edit: get one you can drink out of.. I got one 20 years ago from this guy.

Midjack fucked around with this message at 02:57 on Jun 21, 2018

Epsilon Moonshade
Nov 22, 2016

Not an excellent host.

Midjack posted:

You can get that here.

I'm surprised he's been selling them for 20 years. I only got mine last year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MullardEL34
Sep 30, 2008

Basking in the cathode glow

Midjack posted:

You can get that here.

Have you seen his Klein Bottle Warehouse?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-k3mVnRlQLU

He's more well known for this though:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcKxaq1FTac

MullardEL34 fucked around with this message at 06:59 on Jun 21, 2018