Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How would you rate The Promised Neverland?
Excellent
Good
Fine
Meh
Bad
Awful
View Results

Cran
Mar 23, 2011
gently caress yesssssss

I think Neverland might be the manga highlight of my week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

No chapter yet but here's the cover page because drat it rules

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The new chapter is up, though in less than stellar quality.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

A Quiet Place was a pretty good movie.

Mary Annette
Jun 24, 2005

Mask on

gently caress it, mask off

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
All this time they're worrying about destroying the mask and I have to wonder why they don't shoot the demons in the back of the head. Does the mask extend all the way around?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Mraagvpeine posted:

All this time they're worrying about destroying the mask and I have to wonder why they don't shoot the demons in the back of the head. Does the mask extend all the way around?

demon eye placement is essentially random, they have to uncover the mask to see where the eye is.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mraagvpeine posted:

No, but their weak point is the middle eye -- that's what the mask is there to protect.

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light

Mraagvpeine posted:

They have to hit the eye.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

Demons are fast enough that it would move just enough to save its core if you shot it in the back.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I personally would have gone for "complete destruction" myself. A massive bomb, or something impossibly hot that'd reduce them to goo like dumping white phosphorous or activated thermite onto them or something. Or just mix up a bunch of ammonia and bleach or something and gas them. I mean, they can't be entirely biologically invincible outside of their magic eye.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I personally would have gone for "complete destruction" myself. A massive bomb, or something impossibly hot that'd reduce them to goo like dumping white phosphorous or activated thermite onto them or something. Or just mix up a bunch of ammonia and bleach or something and gas them. I mean, they can't be entirely biologically invincible outside of their magic eye.

I bet we'll see some explosives at some point, but right now it doesn't seem practical. Their supply of weapons has been limited to what's in the bunker, the IQ tests were focused pretty heavily on abstract math, and the library (IIRC) was entirely anodyne fiction and not anarchist cookbooks, so I don't know where they'd learn how to make anything like that, and if they did, where they'd find ammonia or bleach on an alien world. Gotta work with what you have!

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Fire likely works on them, just like most other living creatures. Regenerating only gives the flame more fuel to burn once you are ignited. Issue is getting one to a point where you can flambé.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

The battle continues.

Kind of a filler chapter but what can you do?

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Chapter 91!

https://mangadex.org/chapter/371359/1

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Hoooly crap. I didn't expect the super-buff-possibly-altered-boy to come into play this early, and especially not against Lewis.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

How many times do we have to teach you this lesson old man?

Hopefully just once

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

So Demons get faster... but are less able to heal as they age?

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
I'd like this manga more if all the main guys weren't five.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I kind of find it funny that a huge monstrous demon that can catch bullets and regenerate was convinced he could meet his match in a bunch of children.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I kind of find it funny that a huge monstrous demon that can catch bullets and regenerate was convinced he could meet his match in a bunch of children.

Finally a boomer who belives in Millenials!

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Hey to be fair Emma and Ray are pretty clearly the youngest ones there, the rest are all teens aside from Lucas and T. Man.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

EmmyOk posted:

He wasn't even really sure there was an adult around until the poo poo hit the fan either.

10-foot tall, centuries-old demon that eats human flesh: :bisonyes: finally, after all these years, these middle schoolers will finally give me the true battle I've always craved

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

:pusheen:

Fabricated posted:

10-foot tall, centuries-old demon that eats human flesh: :bisonyes: finally, after all these years, these middle schoolers will finally give me the true battle I've always craved

I actually quite like that they've presented it this way. It reinforces how tough and resourceful Emma and company are, while also subtly implying that yeah, Lewis is kind of a has-been trying to relive his glory days with the tiniest possible quantum of actual danger.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Jun 20, 2018

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
It's going to be cool when the half way point of the series is the human world shipping them off back to the demon world

and i must meme
Jan 15, 2017
i want to know what normal demon society is like. we've only seen rich ones, or total outcasts so far

presumably there's like, demon cities and stuff right

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

and i must meme posted:

i want to know what normal demon society is like. we've only seen rich ones, or total outcasts so far

presumably there's like, demon cities and stuff right

Don’t think we’ve seen much about society at large? They could be very few in number and live in small groups.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Fabricated posted:

Its been a x thousand years
Cant blame him for forgetting how tough hans really are.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I feel like, in a way, the whole "let our societies exist independently without conflict" thing is actually a better deal for humans than demons. Technology basically acts as an equalizer for humans, so allowing them to develop it in a stable society effectively allows them to catch up to the demons. In a way I'd be surprised if the humans don't inevitably try to attack the demons at some point. Stronger weapons (like artillery and bombs) could render the demons' physical advantages almost useless, and given what we've seen I'd be surprised if the human world didn't have that stuff by now.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

If the demons had not much to gain and the humans had everything to win in that deal, just wtf happened to make the demons say 'ok'

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Rigged Death Trap posted:

If the demons had not much to gain and the humans had everything to win in that deal, just wtf happened to make the demons say 'ok'

I mean there's a lot we don't know, but I'm pretty sure the answer to this is "your premises are false." Both sides were fighting a war to extinction and eventually the cost got too high, despite malcontents on the demon side that still want to hunt people and consider the compromise ridiculous, and humans who see it as a betrayal of their own kind.

Matt Lindland
Feb 10, 2018

SHUT THE FUCK UP KEVEN

ALSO GJ BUYING A NEW ACCOUNT LIKE A GODDAMN COWARD
YOU USELESS WHITE NOISE POSTER

YOU WILL NOT ESCAPE THE BOLF RAMSHIELD YOU SO RICHLY DESERVE

now with professional animation
The demons are being brutally destroyed by tiny children so they were probably all getting blasted by adult men with swords and had to run away. The setup of this manga doesn't make a lot of sense if you think about it because the demons are way too strong and the characters are way too weak/young so its best to just not think about it & I'm sorry for mentioning it.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

A half-dozen demons running the flesh-eating monster equivalent of a secret, illegal country club are being beaten by children born and bred to be super-geniuses, with help from a guy who's spent most of his life fighting to survive in a wasteland full of alien predators. Also the kids are fighting for their lives whereas the aforementioned demons are doing this for kicks (until the very last moment.)

The premise of "super-genius children quickly adapting to survive" is the fantastic element but that's just the conceit you accept when you read the manga in the first place. Everything else follows.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

These kids killing the poo poo out of demons is cool and good and these demons going "gently caress yeah, it's been centuries since i've had half as good an enemy as these middle schoolers" is also cool and good.

Also like, any shonen is going to have younger protagonists be more effective than adults and whatever. It comes with the genre.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Matt Lindland posted:

The demons are being brutally destroyed by tiny children so they were probably all getting blasted by adult men with swords and had to run away. The setup of this manga doesn't make a lot of sense if you think about it because the demons are way too strong and the characters are way too weak/young so its best to just not think about it & I'm sorry for mentioning it.

would making the kids 16 or 18 really make much difference

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Rigged Death Trap posted:

I mean, I doubt these kids are the first humans to ever kill a demon. The system where humans are kept in farms instead of being allowed to run around free, pool their resources, and strike back against the people hunting them for sport is probably more ideal for 99.9% of all demons. They don't want a side of mortal danger with their meal, they just want to eat. The hunting club we've been seeing lately are outliers, not typical demons.

Would you rather have cows on farms who you could just eat whenever, or have to go fight a bull every time you wanted steak?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

would making the kids 16 or 18 really make much difference

No.

In some ways, 16-18 yo's are dumber and more self-destructive than whatever age the Neverland cast is, so the rebellion would've already failed at Emma's breakup with Norman, who had been going out with her but also cheating on her at the same time with Gilda, and she found out that long ago he had a stupid immature fling with his and her best friend Ray, and now she can't be sure that he loves her and isn't still together with Ray, despite that one's apparently relationship with Anna, who's way too young and impressionable for him and

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Being from an almost entirely military family I've watched a 13 year-old try to fire an AK and it's hilarious

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

HenryEx posted:

No.

In some ways, 16-18 yo's are dumber and more self-destructive than whatever age the Neverland cast is, so the rebellion would've already failed at Emma's breakup with Norman, who had been going out with her but also cheating on her at the same time with Gilda, and she found out that long ago he had a stupid immature fling with his and her best friend Ray, and now she can't be sure that he loves her and isn't still together with Ray, despite that one's apparently relationship with Anna, who's way too young and impressionable for him and

they're on some kind of fantasy planet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

It was already stated I think that the demons were losing back a thousand odd years ago. that's why they accepted the deal. I would primarily expect because of several things.

1. Low Birthrate of demons compared to humans

2. No super-hard masks protecting their core (I am fairly certain that and other high tech they have came from tech transfers from the human world.)

3. Demons cannot endlessly regenerate as it turns out from recent reveals and each regeneration basically reduces their life, stab them enough and they do eventually die.

4. More importantly also is that demons get faster and nastier with age, as the young demon in the crew was easily brought down, while the old ones were far quicker and stronger.

So back in the day, yes old demons kicking rear end, but they would get chopped apart by swords and axes and not be able to heal fast enough before being brought down. While young demons lack the experience and abilities to handle large mobs on their own. And no masks meant that a single arrow could end them at any time.