Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
I wonder what it's like to feel that your hobby - which involves a private activity at home that nobody can impinge upon, where you can dial the clock back to any period of that hobby you and your friends like - can somehow be legitimately threatened by outsiders.

That must be a scary world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I wonder what it's like to feel that your hobby - which involves a private activity at home that nobody can impinge upon, where you can dial the clock back to any period of that hobby you and your friends like - can somehow be legitimately threatened by outsiders.

You bring the books in from the outside into that bubble, though. If the "wrong" people write "wrong" things into these books, that's threatening.

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
I sure hate that they keep deleting my old books from the bookshelves, it's the worst.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I remember when the WotC Death Squads showed up to my door and demanded that I burn all my 3e books and then forced me to play 4e.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade
Yeah, we all know that's not what's happening, but it's what these people believe and are very vocal about. We've all seen this in action before and that's why you can reference it now.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

frankenfreak posted:

You bring the books in from the outside into that bubble, though. If the "wrong" people write "wrong" things into these books, that's threatening.
Gaming is religion for people like this.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

It's not just about playing the game you want, but also about getting validation from a larger crowd for it. If the crowd predominantly plays a different game, that makes these people wrong, but it's the crowd's fault for playing the incorrect game.

The whole reason D&D 5 is what it is is that people wanted to shift the official definition of D&D back to their own, because after all, Everyone Plays D&D.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Halloween Jack posted:

Gaming is religion for people like this.

That's what happens when religion gets taken away from people ha ha. But seriously, consider catholicism or shia islam, everyone.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Yawgmoth posted:

I remember when the WotC Death Squads showed up to my door and demanded that I burn all my 3e books and then forced me to play 4e.

Lawful Good and Order: Siberys Victims Unit

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Alien Rope Burn posted:

To add I think a big aspect of it is them feeling they are the authority and gatekeeper on the hobby. Every one of these guys is that guy at the game store who starts telling you about their character or campaign and wonders where you're going after the first 5 minutes. There's also always been that sense of gamers dictating that you're having fun in the wrong way. That intersects with their regressive beliefs regarding everything or their own sense of being the authority on everything.

Social media also plays into this because there's now a whole cottage industry on just being the authority on how to consume something. Every hobby and thing has been touched by this trend and gaming has become a very lucrative one due to barriers of entry and the customer base having a large amount of disposable income. If more people are playing RPG's, you're cutting into their profit margin and making their mediocre to bad offering even worse.

gently caress all these guys.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

#bastionboogerbrigade

gradenko_2000 posted:

Lawful Good and Order: Siberys Victims Unit
Okay, now you've made me sad that I no longer have the ancient IRC quote about CSI: Greyhawk about the murdered halfling shaman which culminated in something along the lines of "Halfling? To me, she looks more like *puts on sunglasses* a medium".

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Foglet posted:

Hm, I wonder what of the "books are overpriced" and "writers are underpaid" is more true.

I can guess.

I said nothing about how writers should be paid

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

I said nothing about how writers should be paid

You said that most games sold in digital format should cost less than they already do. Exactly how do you square that with the idea that the creators who made those games therefore shouldn't be paid less for their work than they already are? Do you really think that by slashing their already low costs that they'll somehow magically make more money?

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Where does the new thread title come from?

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Josef bugman posted:

Where does the new thread title come from?

I assume it's a reference to Pundit's most recent peddling of his "you wouldn't believe what the lefties are doing to our soil" conspiracist insanity. That people have been taught D&D wrong to infest the hobby with SJWs or whatever.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Kai Tave posted:

You said that most games sold in digital format should cost less than they already do. Exactly how do you square that with the idea that the creators who made those games therefore shouldn't be paid less for their work than they already are? Do you really think that by slashing their already low costs that they'll somehow magically make more money?

That's a problem I leave for someone else to figure out

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
gently caress you got mine is less syllables, friend.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

drrockso20 posted:

This is easily one of the most broke-brained responses I've seen today, and this includes Corey Lewandowski going 'womp womp' in response to hearing a news story about a child with Down's syndrome being separated from their mother at the border.

I'm guessing you think paying artists in terms of 'exposure' rather than compensating them in cash is OK, too?

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LuiCypher posted:

Corey Lewandowski going 'womp womp' in response to hearing a news story about a child with Down's syndrome being separated from their mother at the border.
I don't... what?

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Splicer posted:

I don't... what?

US politics are off the rails.

Sion
Oct 16, 2004

"I'm the boss of space. That's plenty."

Splicer posted:

I don't... what?

Just back away. Anger is super bad for you.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Sion posted:

Unless you're a red lantern.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

drrockso20 posted:

Okay, so you aren't saying that creators should be paid less, you're just strongly implying it, gotcha.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Yawgmoth posted:

Unless you're a red lantern.

Considering projectile vomiting a blood like substance is a common symptom of Red Lanternhood, I'd say anger is bad for them too.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

LuiCypher posted:

This is easily one of the most broke-brained responses I've seen today, and this includes Corey Lewandowski going 'womp womp' in response to hearing a news story about a child with Down's syndrome being separated from their mother at the border.

I'm guessing you think paying artists in terms of 'exposure' rather than compensating them in cash is OK, too?

Not really I just meant that's a problem I have no solution for

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

Saguaro PI posted:

Hey folks, I'm looking to get some art done for the characters in my D&D group as a surprise. I was wondering if folks here had any good recommendations for folks taking (paid) commissions?

An artist friend of mine is taking commissions lately!
https://tyrantisterrorart.tumblr.com/search/commissions

Here's a character of mine he drew recently, from that Capers! game that TDN ran some time ago:

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Kwyndig posted:

Considering projectile vomiting a blood like substance is a common symptom of Red Lanternhood, I'd say anger is bad for them too.
Nah, it's bad for everyone else. They handle it just fine! :v:

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Sion posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GTz80Ur2XeQ&t=80

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

paradoxGentleman posted:

Here's a character of mine he drew recently, from that Capers! game that TDN ran some time ago:

This rules. Zapper rules.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

paradoxGentleman posted:

An artist friend of mine is taking commissions lately!
https://tyrantisterrorart.tumblr.com/search/commissions

Yeah he's good

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

I want to run a game involving exploration of unknown islands/lands that focuses mostly on finding new, wondrous things and surviving in hostile environments. Also probably meeting new creatures and cultures. Is there a game system that supports this?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Zurui posted:

I want to run a game involving exploration of unknown islands/lands that focuses mostly on finding new, wondrous things and surviving in hostile environments. Also probably meeting new creatures and cultures. Is there a game system that supports this?
I've never played it and honestly only read the elevator pitch but this sounds like Ryuutama to me.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Zurui posted:

I mean what you just said could be interpreted as "I want to run a hexcrawl with detailed support for naval combat and tracking of rations and exposure" or it could be interpreted as above as "I want a storygame about traveling, meeting people, and being nice to them." You gotta tell us something about what you want from it as a system.

e: Fragged Seas might work if you want something medium-crunchy.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 21, 2018

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Zurui posted:

Dawn Treader was my favorite Narnia as a kid so a sort of Odyssey style campaign has always been one of my dream games.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Zurui posted:

Rules Compendium would work well for this

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Zurui posted:

dumgeom worl

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Yeah, what I'm going for is basically Voyage of the Dawn Treader meets Five Weeks in a Balloon. I don't want a grim hexcrawl, I want my players to undertake dangerous journeys to discover places and peoples previously unknown to them.

Fuego Fish
Dec 5, 2004

By tooth and claw!
Inverse World.

oriongates
Mar 14, 2013

Validate Me!

So, I've got a mad notion to jam Exalted and Dark Sun together. Whipping their respective backstories all together in a big bucket.

Psionics combined conceptually with the idea of essence manipulation and martial arts. Sorcery combining conceptually with arcane magic: a powerful force fueled by life energy and invented by the Solars of the Green Age.

Solars as chosen of the Sun, created to rule over humans in the name of the Unconquered Sun, as normal humans are not worthy to worship him. Eventually the Solars rebel and go to war against the Sun, killing it (leading to the modern condition of the world). The Great Curse is still around, the dying curse of the Unconquered Sun rather than the Primordials.

The Dragon Kings are the creation of Solars back in the Green Age, used as weapons and servants in their war against the Sun. After the Sun's defeat the Dragon Kings turned on their Solar creators while they were still weakened by the battle and eventually killed them. The fallout from these great battles and the extreme use of Sorcerery on all sides as well as the death of the Sun, lead to the current state of desert wasteland. The dragon kings bind the immortal souls of their Solar masters in order to prevent them from being reborn. Obviously this eventually goes wrong. The 'Dragon-Blooded' are actually the Templar servants of the Dragon Kings, who help keep order while the dragon kings spend centuries refining their essence. Essentially the dragon-kings would be 'super DBs', with each on par with the Scarlet Empress while the Templars serve as rank-and-file superhuman opponents.

Lunars and Siderals get crammed together into a single concept, created by the Twin Moons as advisors, oracles and companions to the original Solars, as well as the high priests of the Lunar Cults, as they were the religion 'permitted' to normal humans. With the rise of the Dragon Kings they surpressed the Lunar Cults, forcing them underground into the modern-day Veiled Alliance. Most alliance members are just normal humans, but they're led by the Lunars/Pyreen, powerful shapechangers and essence-users who pass along their power and ancestral memories in the form of magical tattoos to their chosen successors. Some want to help the Solars return to power and overthrow the tyrannical dragon-kings, others think the solars are just as bad. The Twin Moons have remained silent to all prayers since the end of the Green Age, leaving the Lunars to choose their own fate.

Abyssals...hmm tempted there to either link them to Dregoth or come up with a link to the Obsidian Plain where perhaps the last surviving Solar of the Green Age has mastered necromancy to such a degree that they have reached a status similar to a deathlord, and in turn created their own deathknights. Not sure. Probably not going to worry about Infernals, but may dabble in Akuma.

So, does this sound like a Peanut Butter +Chocolate sort of combo, or more of a Avacado + Chocolate kind of combo?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

oriongates posted:

So, does this sound like a Peanut Butter +Chocolate sort of combo, or more of a Avacado + Chocolate kind of combo?
In all honesty it could be a worthwhile idea but the notion of combining them makes me recoil in horror at the kind of mechanics you'd need to sustain it.