Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Now I've also contributed to Teachout. Let's hope she uses it well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Saw Ocasio this morning. Unfortunately I was running extremely late to work so I couldn't stop lol.

pangstrom
Jan 25, 2003

Wedge Regret
I see her Ocasionally, too.

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth
Noice

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
https://twitter.com/studentactivism/status/1009427972540035072

ate shit on live tv
Feb 15, 2004

by Azathoth

um....

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

If I was working at a foster agency and a group of children in my care started being followed by a loving news crew I'd want to protect their privacy too.

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 18:49 on Jun 20, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mechafunkzilla posted:

If I was working at a foster agency and a group of children in my care started being followed by a loving news crew I'd want to protect their privacy too.

strange thought but maybe the news crew is documenting the abuses of a fascist regime that needs to be revealed to the world

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

lol normal country

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

That agency's program for fostering unaccompanied immigrant children is neither a secret nor a consequence of the new Trump policy: http://cayugacenters.org/programs/immigrant-foster-care/

I could maybe see someone making an argument that providing short-term support for kids in a really awful situation is helping to sustain a larger oppressive system, but this Pizzagate-for-the-left poo poo isn't helpful.

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 21:37 on Jun 20, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That agency's program for fostering unaccompanied immigrant children is neither a secret nor a consequence of the new Trump policy: http://cayugacenters.org/programs/immigrant-foster-care/

I could maybe someone making an argument that providing short-term support for kids in a really awful situation is helping to sustain a larger oppressive system, but this Pizzagate-for-the-left poo poo isn't helpful.

What the gently caress? I wasn't implying anything pizzagatey about it at all by posting it?

It's my own fault for just posting the tweet without comment. I meant to point out that the kids are beginning to arrive here. Good lord.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I could maybe someone making an argument that providing short-term support for kids in a really awful situation is helping to sustain a larger oppressive system, but this Pizzagate-for-the-left poo poo isn't helpful.

lol there’s actual reported child abuses from the foster system these kids wind up in but go ahead call it leftist pizzagate

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Matt Zerella posted:

What the gently caress? I wasn't implying anything pizzagatey about it at all by posting it?

It's my own fault for just posting the tweet without comment. I meant to point out that the kids are beginning to arrive here. Good lord.

Every other post in that twitter thread is speculation that those kids are being smuggled as part of an ICE sex trafficking ring.

"The kids are beginning to arrive here" isn't even accurate, the agency has had that program since 2014 and we don't know what the circumstances of those particular children on the video are. Maybe they're unaccompanied as a result of the Trump policy, maybe they were sent here unaccompanied, maybe it's some other situation. We don't know.

Taintrunner posted:

lol there’s actual reported child abuses from the foster system these kids wind up in but go ahead call it leftist pizzagate

Yes, abuses can and do happen in foster care, and it would be great if the system was given the resources it needs to ensure a quality of staffing and caretaking that would eliminate those abuses. A news program following foster kids around with a camera and speculating wildly about something it has absolutely no context or evidence for is something else. Like, they're asking social workers -- who are legally and ethically prohibited from disclosing any information about clients without their consent -- who the kids are and where they come from, and then painting their refusal to discuss it as nefarious secrecy.

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 19:09 on Jun 20, 2018

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Every other post in that twitter thread is speculation that those kids are being smuggled as part of an ICE sex trafficking ring.

"The kids are beginning to arrive here" isn't even accurate, the agency has had that program since 2014 and we don't know what the circumstances of those particular children on the video are. Maybe they're unaccompanied as a result of the Trump policy, maybe they were sent here unaccompanied, maybe it's some other situation. We don't know.

A) I dont really care about the replies. Otherwise I would have posted them.

B) Thank you for the second graph

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

https://twitter.com/SeanMcElwee/status/1009482328333340673

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Cynthia Nixon is better than we deserve

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

galaxybrain: bring kids you say you dont want in the country 2000 miles deeper into the country from the border they arrived at away from their parents with no records to put them back together so they might be deported as you profess to want.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Real hurthling! posted:

galaxybrain: bring kids you say you dont want in the country 2000 miles deeper into the country from the border they arrived at away from their parents with no records to put them back together so they might be deported as you profess to want.

Our immigration policy is horrific -- especially now -- but it's actually a good thing that those kids are winding up at an agency where they will receive supportive care, medical and mental health treatment, and most importantly have case workers who can advocate for them and facilitate reuniting them with their families. It's hosed up that they have to travel so far to receive those services, but that's more a reflection of how deficient social services are in the vast majority of the country.

I really doubt that DHS or ICE has anything to do with the decision to send these kids to New York -- again, even assuming those kids are a) undocumented and b) were detained at the border. I would assume it's HHS that's finding them placement at an appropriate agency, and it's not surprising to me at all that when your requirements involve large agencies with bilingual staff and experience working with undocumented populations, you'll be much more likely to find them in diverse urban areas like NYC.

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 23:11 on Jun 20, 2018

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

You know that means alot of those kids will never be reunited with their parents again right

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Shageletic posted:

You know that means alot of those kids will never be reunited with their parents again right

The damage is being done at the point of separation. Since the record-keeping is so deficient, this is why it's actually preferable that the kids wind up somewhere with capable and available case workers who can advocate for them and help locate their families, even if they have to travel to get there.

Like, DHS is dumping thousands of unidentified, unaccompanied kids on HHS's doorstop. They're children and need to be cared for. You can't just put them up in the nearest hotel.

Mechafunkzilla has issued a correction as of 23:27 on Jun 20, 2018

Chill Penguin
Jan 10, 2004

you know korky buchek?
federal primary next week. anything for NYC?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Chill Penguin posted:

not to my knowledge

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The damage is being done at the point of separation. Since the record-keeping is so deficient, this is why it's actually preferable that the kids wind up somewhere with capable and available case workers who can advocate for them and help locate their families, even if they have to travel to get there.

Like, DHS is dumping thousands of unidentified, unaccompanied kids on HHS's doorstop. They're children and need to be cared for. You can't just put them up in the nearest hotel.

I do agree that there's variances in the quality of outfits and that's it's better to go a caring nonprofit than a for profit TX nightmare. It just makes intensely worry when kids are being shipped off to NYC and Michigan and their parents are left cooking their heels all the way in mexico.

This is all reminiscent of what we did with a generation of native Americans and Australians did with their indigenous people.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Chill Penguin posted:

majormonotone posted:

not to my knowledge

Ocasio vs Crowley in NY-14

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
Prob other CDs too but that’s the one I’m following since it’s my district

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Chill Penguin posted:

There’s a handful of contested congressional primaries.

Notable D primaries are challenges to Crowley as mentioned, Maloney, Clark. On the Republican side, there’s a straight up bare knuckle Trump-off going on in Staten Island.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

So, Maloney is my district -- anything nefarious about Patel I should know about, aside from the obvious carpetbagging? He seems to have a fairly palatable social democratic platform.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So, Maloney is my district -- anything nefarious about Patel I should know about, aside from the obvious carpetbagging? He seems to have a fairly palatable social democratic platform.

He sure does seem to have an awful lot of money in his campaign fund for a no-name supposedly from-the-Left primary challenge to an already fairly progressive congresswoman...

And that’s before you get into the recent reports of some potentially serious campaign finance violations.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

CaptainPsyko posted:

He sure does seem to have an awful lot of money in his campaign fund for a no-name supposedly from-the-Left primary challenge to an already fairly progressive congresswoman...

And that’s before you get into the recent reports of some potentially serious campaign finance violations.

I thought he comes from a wealthy family of hotel owners who are bankrolling him.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Mechafunkzilla posted:

I thought he comes from a wealthy family of hotel owners who are bankrolling him.

Yeah, but he’s not just writing himself a check, which means individual contribution limits apply.

So either it’s an exceptionally large family, or he’s raising funds from somebody. (Somebody could just be “Rich hotel family Rolodexes”; but it still makes me suspicious of a supposed left wing challenge under that guise.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
In other news, I would like to loving strangle my state Senator

quote:

Sex Offenders Don’t Belong In Our Schools

I’m Working To Stop ‘Pardoned’ Sex Offenders From Voting In Schools On Election Day

Dear Friend:

Letting a child rapist or sex abuser into our schools to vote on Election Day is like giving a hall pass to some of our society’s most dangerous individuals so they can shop for new victims.

That is what the Governor has done by issuing pardons to countless sex offenders across the state including, in our community, a child rapist already determined to be a “high risk” to strike again, among others.

Recently, I’ve written to state leaders demanding to know why sex offenders were included on the Governor’s pardon list, and what steps they are taking to notify police and school administrators and, most importantly, to keep sex offenders away from our schools on Election Day.

I’ve also shared with local law enforcement the names of “pardoned” sex offenders who could seek to enter our schools on Election Day.

Securing our schools and protecting our children are high priorities for me. You can learn more by visiting my website at https://www.phillips.nysenate.gov where you will also find links to the official NYS Sex Offender Registry which allows you to search by ZIP code for sex offenders currently living in your community.

Sincerely,

Elaine Phillips

Senator, 7th District

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

CaptainPsyko posted:

they know that election day theres no kids in the school right?

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Real hurthling! posted:

they know that election day theres no kids in the school right?

there have def been kids at the school where I vote

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

its a holiday down here in da city

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I live in the city

Queens anyway

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

I think this story got kind of lost in the whole child concentration camps thing, but it's infuriating: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-pol-ice-detention-unaccompanied-minors-20180620-story.html

Basically, ICE is using the administrative gap between undocumented kids aging out of foster care and being placed with family sponsors to detain them and move them out of NYC, so that they no longer have access to legal services. It was discovered because kids would suddenly stop showing up at school after their 18th birthdays. loving evil.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Real hurthling! posted:

its a holiday down here in da city

1) Election Day isn’t a holiday, but it’s a norm that schools find an excuse to close in much of NY - the day is often used for teacher meetings and such.

2) This isn’t true for primaries anyway.

3) debating this point is giving this horrifying bull poo poo scaremongering email more credit than it deserves.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
https://twitter.com/CTLizB/status/1009776306450583552

Does anyone really benefit from being endorsed by loving Eliot Spitzer?!

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

https://twitter.com/InsideCityHall/status/1008864032277909506

Bunkeddeko seems pretty good? looked over his website and his stances seem decent.

also, when you're not mad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

CaptainPsyko posted:

this is the stupidest loving thing I've ever read

how are people this way. I cannot actually imagine a person being concerned, even if factually all these pieces aligned which they do not

holy. poo poo.