Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Snowman_McK posted:

maybe. Some sort of very unforgiving bounty hunter game, maybe

Can you imagine a Dark Souls-style game set on a weird broken future space hell-world? :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Davros1 posted:

Oh god yeah. And people were pissed when he was killed off because they thought "He was supposed to be the new Vader!".

Len posted:

I was in fourth grade and he looked cool as poo poo and had a double bladed lightsaber how cool was that?!

I meant in Solo, specifically.

I got enough bruises from toy lightsabers to remember his appeal, originally.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Schwarzwald posted:

I meant in Solo, specifically.

I got enough bruises from toy lightsabers to remember his appeal, originally.

I was just completely confused by his appearance, to be honest.

I pulled up Google to figure out what the hell was going on as soon as I got back to the car. That was a decision I began to regret as soon as the words space witches flashed onto my screen. :psyduck:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Cythereal posted:

It's also great because I've seen that chain of events play out more than once in real life. Manager A learns there's a potentially serious problem with Project X that's a huge deal for the company and potentially a complete game-changer. But because Project X has been through such a troubled history already and Manager A's position is so fragile, he decides to hide the problem and fires or reassigns everyone who could have found the problem. Manager A does not tell his more highly-placed bureaucratic rival Manager B because if Manager B knew, Manager A would be shitcanned for mismanaging the project so badly. Manager B subsequently shitcans Manager A anyway, thereby ensuring Project X has a serious problem that now no one knows about until it blows up in their faces.

This is so true, but you skipped over the attempt to by Manager A to regain control of the Project X by going to Manager B's Boss, only to get rebuffed by the Boss with a threat of getting shitcanned by him personally if they don't work this out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Sir Kodiak posted:

Alden Ehrenreich (Han Solo) was accused of not knowing how to act, which doesn't exactly line up with his performances in his previous movies.

a mirthless chuckle

you do understand what mirthless means?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles is getting movie rebooted again!

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/new-ninja-turtles-movie-works-1121467

quote:

Paramount is developing a new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie and has hired Andrew Dodge, the writer behind the Jason Bateman comedy Bad Words, to pen the script.

Michael Bay, Andrew Form and Brad Fuller will produce the feature via their Platinum Dunes banner. The company was behind the studio’s horror hit A Quiet Place.

However, both were made before the arrival of chairman Jim Gianopulos, who has made it a priority to clean up the studio’s slate and refocus its franchises. Insiders are hoping to bring a patina of quality as they relaunch the brand.

I don't know how this BRANDS BRANDS BRANDS thing is going to work out for Paramount as that often means more bland muck but maybe we'll get lucky.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows was shockingly good fun, watch it if you liked the original cartoon!

Pirate Jet posted:

Rogue One was really awesome, though.

Truth, I rewatch it more than any non-OG Wars flick

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Hedenius posted:

Top 100 lists are inherently silly and arbitrary but putting The Wicker Man at 96 and Four Weddings and a Funeral at 23 of a list of the best 100 British films should get everyone involved some serious jail time.

im confused at all you guys mad at this. Do you want it to be higher or lower

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Taintrunner posted:

Just saw this trailer today and what in the living gently caress

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Li2dHr5Q-JY

I think world war II was my favorite war
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s2AEcsx5n5c

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Reviews are starting to come out for Jurassic World. From the sounds of it the director decided to make a campy horror/action movie and Treverrow decided to write a ponderous self serious movie about the military industrial complex and only one of those halves actually pay off. Hint: There is apparently a scene where a dinosaur jumps out a window just in time to avoid an explosion.

are you trying to make me watch this movie, cuz that's how you make me watch this movie

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Vandar posted:

I was just completely confused by his appearance, to be honest.

I pulled up Google to figure out what the hell was going on as soon as I got back to the car. That was a decision I began to regret as soon as the words space witches flashed onto my screen. :psyduck:

Here's a simple version:

Mother Talzim is a Force Witch from Dathomir. She had 3 sons. One died, one stayed with him, and one was 'adopted' by Palpatine. He became Darth Maul.

After Episode 1, Maul's anger kept him alive and he ended up on a junkyard planet where went insane. He also built himself robot spider legs. Talzim sensed Maul being alive and sent her other surviving son, Savage, to find him. Talzim healed Maul's mind and gave him new better robot goat legs. Maul then takes Savage as his apprentice.

What happens next is series of Maul, Savage, Palpatine, Count Dooku and a new apprentice named Asaaj pretending to work with and double-crossing each other because that is how Sith politics work. Anakin and Obi Wan also gets involved from time to time.

Failing to get anywhere with just the two of them, Maul and Savage joins up with a group of Mandalorian fundamentalist militants known as the Death Watch. Their leader gives Maul newer better robot legs that looks humanoid. Together they take over multiple criminal groups which Maul unites under the Crimson Dawn syndicate. Then they take over Mandalore, because Death Watch hates that Mandalore became a neutral pacifist world in The Clone Wars. Then Maul wins a duel against the Death Watch leader, who he executes, and became leader of Mandalore.

Palpatine then decided to remind Maul who's in charge. Both Maul and Savage fights Palpatine. Palpatine kills Savage but keeps Maul alive. Palpatine then uses Maul to lure Talzim out of hiding and kills her, leaving Maul on Dathomir. Without his mother and Mandalore, Maul still has Crimson Dawn and that is where he is in Solo.

Tars Tarkas posted:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/new-ninja-turtles-movie-works-1121467

I don't know how this BRANDS BRANDS BRANDS thing is going to work out for Paramount as that often means more bland muck but maybe we'll get lucky.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Out of the Shadows was shockingly good fun, watch it if you liked the original cartoon!

There have been so many versions of TMNT that another reboot does not seem all that weird to me. They even have a new Nickelodeon cartoon coming soon, with the each of the turtles now being a different species (Raph is a snapping turtle and Donnie is a softshell) and April back to being black.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0r7lVa0Irsg

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Alan Smithee posted:

im confused at all you guys mad at this. Do you want it to be higher or lower

Obviously it should be higher because it's easily better than a lot of the movies that are ranked higher.

Like, I love A Room with a View, but it's honestly not even close.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

ayo should i watch gotti or superfly tonight. 10:30 showtime for both

i honestly wanna watch gotti for shits and giggles (and not because moviepass told me to) so if superfly y'all gotta really sell it to me

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Superfly is way good but will probably be around for another week (it will be at the theaters near my place), Gotti seems like a specific kind of pain but maybe not the kind you want to spend effort renting

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

Truth, I rewatch it more than any non-OG Wars flick

Great. Michael Bay is going to ruin the childhoods of the kids who grew up on the last TMNT movies made by *shuffles notes* Michael Bay.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Detective No. 27 posted:

Great. Michael Bay is going to ruin the childhoods of the kids who grew up on the last TMNT movies made by *shuffles notes* Michael Bay.

TMNT: this time without noses!

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Young Freud posted:

This is so true, but you skipped over the attempt to by Manager A to regain control of the Project X by going to Manager B's Boss, only to get rebuffed by the Boss with a threat of getting shitcanned by him personally if they don't work this out.

And the fun part is that this demonstrably happens all the loving time in fascist empires.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Top 100 lists are scientifically designed to piss people off and I fall for it every time.

I learned that the art of a really good 'overrated' list was to leave off something that people would expect to be there. Some might be mad that you said Jennifer Lawrence was overrated, but others will be much madder that you didn't.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Can you imagine a Dark Souls-style game set on a weird broken future space hell-world? :allears:

Exploring boobytrapped alien ruins that are deliberately unfair, where memorisation is useless.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

I really think the problems with Solo are pretty specific to Solo itself, and not indicative of something gone horribly wrong with the Star Wars brand. To me it does make sense to take a breather and make sure you've got all the issues figured out, and don't make the same mistakes for the next films.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Yeah, but that smart business sense doesn't make good clickbait headlines so it's DISNEY IN TURMOIL!! ALL STAR WARS CANCELLED IN WAKE OF SOLO BOMBS!!! HEADS WILL ROLL!!

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

It would be better for everyone if they did cancel Star Wars forever

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

It would be better for everyone if they did cancel Star Wars forever

The last film in chronological order being completely inconclusive and sequel hook filled would be pretty fitting.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

The last film in chronological order being completely inconclusive and sequel hook filled would be pretty fitting.

Episode IX ends with Rey waking up. She looks around and sees that she's in the middle of a forest. She doesn't know where she is. She can no longer feel the Force. She hears someone approaching her from behind and whirls to face him.

It's Terry O'Quinn.

"We're still on the island, Jack," he intones.

Rey looks down. She realises is now Matthew Fox. She reaches into her pocket and finds a drawing of a white tulip.

:lost:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

A part of me wants Star Wars to keep going but in the direction the fans hate the most because they deserve to suffer. Awful lot those fans.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Snowman_McK posted:

Exploring boobytrapped alien ruins that are deliberately unfair, where memorisation is useless.
someone can't speedrun :smug:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

I watched Gotti

it wasn't nearly as camp as I'd hoped. More disjointed than anything else. It constantly jumps back and forth between timelines it might as well be back to the future. Pitbull is oddly not the weirdest musical choice. There's a lot of 80s pop hits that come in on tough guy mudderfucker scenes that just an odd choice.

Not to mention Gotti Jr. being a 21 year old looking dude playing a middle aged man

also the end credits: "this movie is dedicated to Frank Gotti"

the kid who got hit by a car while riding his bike and then the guy driving disappeared dont know nothin about it

what

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Reviews are starting to come out for Jurassic World. From the sounds of it the director decided to make a campy horror/action movie and Treverrow decided to write a ponderous self serious movie about the military industrial complex and only one of those halves actually pay off. Hint: There is apparently a scene where a dinosaur jumps out a window just in time to avoid an explosion.

Not only does it jump out just in time to avoid the explosion but it does that after seeing a gas tank leaking and seeing the "warning: flammable" sign on the tanks which implies it knows how to read and comprehend chemistry.
There is also a scene where a dinosaur is pretending to be asleep to fool a villainous character and it actually smirks to itself once the character approaches it. The movie doesn't give a gently caress about anything.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Jurassic Park movies have hinted that the raptors are at least chimp-level intelligent, to the point that they have their own language. In JW, the I.rex and the raptors were even talking and arguing with each other.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

so without reading spoilers

is that a moviepass

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Next Jurassic park will have the dinosaurs bring humans back to life

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Well, in Fallen Kingdom they use the cloning technology to bring the dead kid of Hammond's ex-partner back. So, uh, the movie already out-stupided you.

Alan Smithee posted:

so without reading spoilers

is that a moviepass

that's a movie pass

I wish JP had gone the way of DTV sequels that just gave us stripped-down, simple narratives. I'd watch a survival horror movie about someone just having to get from one side of the island to the other side to catch a boat. Kind of like a decent version of JPIII but without the baggage of having no script 6 weeks out from filming.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 11:38 on Jun 21, 2018

tino
Jun 4, 2018

by Smythe
I won’t accept anything less than TRex with rocket launchers strapped on.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Dinotopia except it's not a utopia at all

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Alan Smithee posted:

I watched Gotti

it wasn't nearly as camp as I'd hoped. More disjointed than anything else. It constantly jumps back and forth between timelines it might as well be back to the future. Pitbull is oddly not the weirdest musical choice. There's a lot of 80s pop hits that come in on tough guy mudderfucker scenes that just an odd choice.

Not to mention Gotti Jr. being a 21 year old looking dude playing a middle aged man

also the end credits: "this movie is dedicated to Frank Gotti"

the kid who got hit by a car while riding his bike and then the guy driving disappeared dont know nothin about it

what

If you google “Gotti” the cast list still shows Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, and Ben Foster as being in the movie, even though they all dropped out seven years ago.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Alan Smithee posted:

Dinotopia except it's not a utopia at all

Utopia comes from the Greek “outopos” which means “no-place”.

Dinotopia is also not a place so the title checks out.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

If you google “Gotti” the cast list still shows Al Pacino, Joe Pesci, and Ben Foster as being in the movie, even though they all dropped out seven years ago.

Al Pacino: "due to creative differences I must drop out of the Gotti movie"

also Al Pacino: "A DUNKA DUNKA DUNKA DUNKA DUNKACINO"

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

feedmyleg posted:

So, uh, the movie already out-stupided you.

I'm scared.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

what i want to know is where the hell is Sam Neill

surely it wasn't the fifa movie taking up his entire busy schedule out of doing another Jurassic

he's in hell isn't he

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Alan Smithee posted:

surely it wasn't the fifa movie taking up his entire busy schedule out of doing another Jurassic

he's in hell isn't he

"It's all right. It's OK.

You're safe now.

They're with us.

You're with us."

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

Alan Smithee posted:

he's in hell isn't he

https://twitter.com/TwoPaddocks/status/1008228276332998657

He is doing extremely well

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

fatherboxx posted:

He is doing extremely well

This is the most New Zealand tweet of all time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

I think Sam Neill mostly just makes wine these days. Seems like a good life.