Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

New event pops up, Glitch kicks the poo poo out of Dekker who is then hospitalized for eight days despite Max level medical :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neophyte
Apr 23, 2006

perennially
Taco Defender
Quickscell: We Never Stop Enervating

Ghost of Babyhead
Jun 28, 2008
Grimey Drawer
Just had a base defence mission with optional turret activation objective (the engineer APCs drove back into the fight afterwards and managed to incap a Shadow Hawk). Was this in the game pre-patch? I've only ever played one base defence mission prior to this, and that didn't feature any turrets.

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Just had a base defence mission with optional turret activation objective (the engineer APCs drove back into the fight afterwards and managed to incap a Shadow Hawk). Was this in the game pre-patch? I've only ever played one base defence mission prior to this, and that didn't feature any turrets.
I had I think only one of those pre-patch of what base defense missions I did take. But it was a thing that could potentially happen at launch.

What's your frequency of leopards unceremoniously airdropping tanks by your base? I managed to beat those occasions in my launch campaign but it still felt like a prank of some kind.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 08:44 on Jun 21, 2018

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Ghost of Babyhead posted:

Yes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Chronojam posted:

New event pops up, Glitch kicks the poo poo out of Dekker who is then hospitalized for eight days despite Max level medical :allears:

Jesus, even your own pilots want to kill Dekker.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Oh Dekker, the only pilot I didn't savescum out of dying

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Chronojam posted:

Was that the pulling rank event? I disciplined them both (Glitch and some KS backer I picked up) and they were both unavailable for 8 days. :rolleyes:

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Did you always start with Medusa? I thought I hired him in my first game but I guess I don't remember.

Ironman mode making things a little more intense but so far I'm not seeing the harder enemy configurations. I guess I'm still early on but it's just spiders and locusts right now. Some 2 initiative tanks though.

The only things I'm really worried about in Ironman is the apc mission where you guard Kamea for eight turns, the mission where you haul rear end to blow up the control tower, and I guess they patched the AI in the dropship defense mission so that might suck. A campaign restart to an unlucky headshot to your pilots (or Kamea just getting hosed) on any of those missions will suck tremendous rear end but I guess that's the risk!

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

If I am reading this correctly, the case against PGI/CGL/InMediaRes has been dismissed with prejudice and it is...good, I think?

https://old.reddit.com/r/battletech/comments/8srg45/hg_vs_pgi_cgl_and_hbs_proposed_dismissial_with/

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RBA Starblade posted:

Did you always start with Medusa? I thought I hired him in my first game but I guess I don't remember.

Yep. You always start with Dekker, Glitch, Behemoth and Medusa.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Zore posted:

Yep. You always start with Dekker, Glitch, Behemoth and Medusa.

He'll always be Replacement Dekker to me. :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

RBA Starblade posted:

He'll always be Replacement Dekker to me. :v:

Medusa died mission 2 while Dekker was kicking all campaign so it was literally the opposite for me. :v:

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
In even better news than the patch...

Harmony Gold's lawsuit has been dismissed with prejudice. CGL and PGI have won. The Reseen, at least, are free!

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
Yay Kiva ran with my stability damage affected by weight class idea!

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
It's still a proposed settlement, so it's not quite over with, but yeah, this looks pretty good.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe
Holy poo poo who cares about Linux and localization? Bring more content.

Who's the five people in the world who would buy this game but don't understand a lick of english?

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Sky Shadowing posted:

Harmony Gold's lawsuit has been dismissed with prejudice. CGL and PGI have won. The Reseen, at least, are free!

Source?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Sky Shadowing posted:

Should probably wait for more details of an official announcement before assuming HG's meddling has been banished from Battletech forever.

At a glance I'm seeing a lot of conflicting things about what little we're working off of.

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Zore posted:

Medusa died mission 2 while Dekker was kicking all campaign so it was literally the opposite for me. :v:

same

ditty bout my clitty posted:

Holy poo poo who cares about Linux and localization? Bring more content.

Who's the five people in the world who would buy this game but don't understand a lick of english?

gently caress off

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Guess you haven't been paying much attention to the Chinese gaming community.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

http://www.sarna.net/news/harmony-gold-and-piranha-games-have-settled-probably/

It wasn't dismissed. Harmony Gold vs Harebrained was dismissed with prejudice a couple months ago. The "vs PGI" lawsuit has a settlement offer in place which pretty much means Harmony is getting something out of it

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

Azhais posted:

http://www.sarna.net/news/harmony-gold-and-piranha-games-have-settled-probably/

It wasn't dismissed. Harmony Gold vs Harebrained was dismissed with prejudice a couple months ago. The "vs PGI" lawsuit has a settlement offer in place which pretty much means Harmony is getting something out of it

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hIAGuxzEy3ZE4_mjyj-jiw4TMuwoIn3g/view

There's a (proposed) newer one that just dropped yesterday that says it's done and over with for everyone, including CGL, with the only costs being everyone paying their own legal fees and that's that.

I'm not sure how often these things fall through at this stage, but I would assume by this point it's just a matter of paperwork.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Xotl posted:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1hIAGuxzEy3ZE4_mjyj-jiw4TMuwoIn3g/view

There's a (proposed) newer one that just dropped yesterday that says it's done and over with for everyone, including CGL, with the only costs being everyone paying their own legal fees and that's that.

I'm not sure how often these things fall through at this stage, but I would assume by this point it's just a matter of paperwork.

That document has the watermark for the PGI attorneys, so it's a proposal they wrote and sent to Harmony Gold. Whether the case is at a point where Harmony Gold sees this as the preferable action isn't clear from this document; presumably, Harmony Gold would have to expect that they'd get a judgment against them that forces them to pay the defendants' expenses before they'd sign on to this agreement.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
It doesn’t indicate the terms of any settlement. I think the note about all parties paying their own fees is to stop anyone from arguing that the settlement means they win and so they would be entitled to fees, so it’s just a CYA boilerplate inclusion. It also doesn’t indicate whether or not anyone agrees to allow certain warrior robots to be depicted or whatever. So it’s not clear what will happen as far as the game goes.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Guess you haven't been paying much attention to the Chinese gaming community.

You mean the group that there's constantly petitions going to block from all online games?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

RBA Starblade posted:

Ironman mode making things a little more intense but so far I'm not seeing the harder enemy configurations. I guess I'm still early on but it's just spiders and locusts right now. Some 2 initiative tanks though.

The only things I'm really worried about in Ironman is the apc mission where you guard Kamea for eight turns, the mission where you haul rear end to blow up the control tower, and I guess they patched the AI in the dropship defense mission so that might suck. A campaign restart to an unlucky headshot to your pilots (or Kamea just getting hosed) on any of those missions will suck tremendous rear end but I guess that's the risk!

Yes, Medusa is a starting pilot.

I almost lost Raiju on the first mission in Ironman mode due to his torsos getting popped off from melee attacks on the first two fights. That crappy Panther in the beginning sure can punch hard. Would have been a pretty short campaign unless they let you restart failed missions in Ironman mode (I don't think they do).

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

Rhymenoserous posted:

Yay Kiva ran with my stability damage affected by weight class idea!

The weapon stats are also very similar to what I ended up with in some respects, so I had very little post-patch tweaking to do. Except for the large laser, but if HBS thinks it needs to run even cooler, I'm okay with that - 18 heat it is.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO posted:

It doesn’t indicate the terms of any settlement. I think the note about all parties paying their own fees is to stop anyone from arguing that the settlement means they win and so they would be entitled to fees, so it’s just a CYA boilerplate inclusion. It also doesn’t indicate whether or not anyone agrees to allow certain warrior robots to be depicted or whatever. So it’s not clear what will happen as far as the game goes.

If the basis for the agreement is dismissal with prejudice, doesn't that by default mean that the images that were the source of the dispute would be permitted?

I'm assuming that wouldn't okay the use of the original Macross images, but the derivatives that PGI and CGL made would be okay, would it not?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

rocketrobot posted:

Yes, Medusa is a starting pilot.

I almost lost Raiju on the first mission in Ironman mode due to his torsos getting popped off from melee attacks on the first two fights. That crappy Panther in the beginning sure can punch hard. Would have been a pretty short campaign unless they let you restart failed missions in Ironman mode (I don't think they do).

The tool tip says you lose the campaign if you lose a campaign mission so no reloading after failure.

e: Speaking of which just beat Grim Sybil again and I love when the game turns into cripplefights. Both my units and theirs missed almost every 70%+, hosed up every called shot, spread damage everywhere, and basically it was their broken garbage flailing against my broken garbage and no one could actually kill the other until my out-of-ammo Ancestral Broken Garbage DFA'd and blew up the Quick Draw.

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jun 22, 2018

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone here play tabletop Battletech? I just picked out my mechs for our monthly game and goddamn am I excited to be bring 285 tons in a Kodiak, Atlas, and Marauder. I hope my gamemates have a great session, 'cause big ballah is!

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Are there are um, any other sources for colour solaris commentary apart from the Duncan Fischer fiction?

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Phrosphor posted:

Are there are um, any other sources for colour solaris commentary apart from the Duncan Fischer fiction?

The newest novella has good info on solaris events and media. I don't think it has actual battle commentary though.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Holy poo poo who cares about Linux

:argh:

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/wario64/status/1009956535626170368?s=21

If you’re at all on the fence about this game it’s currently $10 on Amazon. You’ve no longer got an excuse

BeAuMaN
Feb 18, 2014

I'M A LEAD FARMER, MOTHERFUCKER!

Oh good someone else posted that deal. I grabbed it; thank god for Amazon's price mistakes.

Edit: As far as I can tell, Amazon accidentally price matched the DLC by itself on steam, but applied the price match to the full game + DLC.

Edit: And dead :smith:

BeAuMaN fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Jun 22, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

The balance stuff looks good but does this patch make lights better or worse, in the context of the firestarter being the best light

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Control Volume posted:

The balance stuff looks good but does this patch make lights better or worse, in the context of the firestarter being the best light
Maybe somewhere up the chain the logic was "The Grasshopper is too good! Therefore, Nerf EVERY small weapon! Not just clustered MG headhunting" with no regard for lights mechs.

I would not be surprised if at the very least for flamers specifically, some dev members salty over the bump from 4 to 6 and waiting for a chance to undo that. Regardless of the fact 99% of Mech weaponry now runs cooler.

Lights at least do have +1 extra perma dodge. But once things escalate, an extra +1 dodge will not change the fact a 5-6 Evasive Pip Light getting hit by a single AC20 will essentially end it's usefulness, while a 4-5 Evasive pip heavy can actually survive getting hit through it's evasion.

I expect the biggest difference for that extra +1 dodge on lights, will be making the early game when you have poo poo pilots superficially harder. The sort of thing where a hurried glance at early game combats, see that 3-5 gunnery pilots in your start mechs and a salvaged wolverine aren't killing enemy commandos as fast,. Nod to yourself saying "LIGHTS VIABLE!" and leave just in time to miss the player's first 8 Gunnery pilot in a quality Medium or early heavy start eviscerating high evasion lights as per usual.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Jun 22, 2018

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Section Z posted:

Maybe somewhere up the chain the logic was "The Grasshopper is too good! Therefore, Nerf EVERY small weapon! Not just clustered MG headhunting" with no regard for smalls despite all the lip service about "Make smalls viable!"

I would not be surprised if at the very least for flamers specifically, some dev members salty over the bump from 4 to 6 and waiting for a chance to undo that. Regardless of the fact 99% of Mech weaponry now runs cooler.

Lights at least do have +1 extra perma dodge. But once things escalate, an extra +1 dodge will not change the fact a 5-6 Evasive Pip Light getting hit by a single AC20 will essentially end it's usefulness, while a 4-5 Evasive pip heavy can actually survive getting hit through it's evasion.

I expect the biggest difference for that extra +1 dodge on lights, will be making the early game when you have poo poo pilots superficially harder. The sort of thing where a hurried glance at early game combats, see that 3-5 gunnery pilots in your start mechs and a salvaged wolverine aren't killing enemy commandos as fast,. Nod to yourself saying "LIGHTS VIABLE!" and leave just in time to miss the player's first 8 Gunnery pilot in a quality Medium or early heavy start eviscerating high evasion lights as per usual.

I guess the one mitigating factor here is that large lasers are slightly better, and an arm mounted large laser is a +2 to hit. So early game your poo poo pilots can actually hit things with them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

BeAuMaN posted:

Oh good someone else posted that deal. I grabbed it; thank god for Amazon's price mistakes.

Edit: As far as I can tell, Amazon accidentally price matched the DLC by itself on steam, but applied the price match to the full game + DLC.

Edit: And dead :smith:

I jumped right on it. Didn't realize it was a price mistake!