Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

ShaneB posted:

I'm actually also curious about intro hand management games.

Arguably Concordia. For a given definition of both "intro" and "hand management".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

ShaneB posted:

mage knight :v:

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

ShaneB posted:

Jaipur, Battle Line, Commands & Colors

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Would Mombasa and GWT fall into hand management?

Also, The Road to el Dorado is a great little light deck-builder race game. Really easy to play and I would recommend it to anyone that remotely enjoys the genre.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Race for the Galaxy and Eminent Domain are some god tier hand management games. For intro versions to hand management, I think small box card games are probably good options: Linko, Arboretum, Frank’s Zoo, and Jaipur would be some of my favorites.

There is also Jump Drive, which I think is a lite version of Race, but I have never played it.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Anyone played Lords of Hellas? How does it compare to other notable eurotrash?

I basically spend all my time in this thread looking for talk of asymmetric role games, and reviewing / comparing stuff to lords of hellas.

I don't think it's the same game as Inis, to me inis feels much more deterministic and like a puzzle where you go "aha, I win?" And your opponents either go "ohhh very clever" or "no, because I have outsmarted you". I haven't played Kemet, but it looks like the combat is better.

What lords is great at is being a game you play at, like a big toy. That's not to say it's not a tight boardgame, it definitely is, but there are other tighter dudes on map eurotrash games for sure. Loh is all bombastic showy ott stuff, which is all really fun, but also actually works.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

FulsomFrank posted:

Would Mombasa and GWT fall into hand management?

Also, The Road to el Dorado is a great little light deck-builder race game. Really easy to play and I would recommend it to anyone that remotely enjoys the genre.

Mombasa yes in the exact same way as concordia.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
I sure hope Lords of Hellas is good as I spent a fortune on it:). It'll be here on Monday just AFTER a gameday meeup unfortunately.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

The So Very Wrong About Games guys seem to like it and think it’s different enough from other eurotrash/francotrash/sigh/etc.

Speaking of, I noticed that Mark really likes Antike II. I am vaguely aware of the existence of this game but have heard nothing about it.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

fozzy fosbourne posted:

Speaking of, I noticed that Mark really likes Antike II. I am vaguely aware of the existence of this game but have heard nothing about it.

It’s at the center point between Imperial 2030 and Concordia (by the same designer, too). It’s one of the starkest “dudes on a map” type games I’ve played, the only thing that inches it towards being a Civilization-type game is the ten technologies you can research. It’s admirable for how spartan (lol) it is, but I’d rather play Clash of Cultures for a Civ game.

Triskelli fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jun 21, 2018

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

Acceptableloss posted:

Everything I’ve read online about Mice and Mystics has been positive. Is there something lovely about this game I’m unaware of?

TLDR: What game will be a good gateway drug to get my young kids into Gloomhaven?

Mice & Mystics doesn't actually work very well as a game - even for young kids (my kids were like, 9, 7, 7, and 7 at the time). It's incredibly tedious, and you can lose an hour-long game due to some bad rolls. Resetting and forced character swaps meant my kids never really felt connected to their characters, and there was way too little change over the course of the campaign. The only reason my kids stuck through it is that I was DM'ing pretty hard by the end (cutting out repeat content, adding new enemies and new mechanical things to do). The theme is fun (though it vacillates between "written for kids" and "not written for kids"), game seems like it'll be OK for the first hour... but it's really pretty bad.

We only played Stuffed Fables for a few hours (at a cafe). Kids were OK with it, but nobody was super stoked - and looking over the content in the box, there - again - just wasn't going to be enough variety (there's very few enemy types, and not a lot of "progression" available). Even early on we hit pages that were really awkwardly written and I had to triple read to figure out what we were doing, and difficulty seemed all over the map. One part of the game, the "dudes-on-a-page game book" is really solid (and I've wanted to do a game like that for a while), but the rest seems like a mess. Seems like maybe narrative is the main draw, but I saw nothing to suggest it was going to be well written.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Had to miss Games Day two weeks ago because I wasn't feeling well after a tough week and couldn't carry my bag. Went into the shop today and the owner says "oh, it's a shame you missed Games Day two weeks ago, we had a surprise guest".

So yeah, that's how I missed a chance to play Cthulhu Wars with Sandy Petersen.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

We lent out Sushi Go, Seven Wonders, and Forbidden Desert and forgot to get them back before we moved. This is a good excuse for me to spend money on new games.

7 Wonders is a favorite of my wife's because she likes how it kind of feels like Civilization and the drafting is easy enough because she doesn't feel overwhelmed by options during her turn.

Sushi Go was just a fun filler that was easy to play while we waited for the rest of our group to arrive or when we didn't have enough time to play a more involved game.

Forbidden Island was picked up because it was coop but of the three this was the least enjoyed. It felt like whoever was the most vocal just tried to play everyone's turns for them. Maybe that's more of a problem with our group dynamics but it was a problem multiple games.

Any recommendations for alternate games? We are moving to a new area and don't know anyone so a high player count is less important.

Consider Fairy Tale if you like Seven Wonders. And I personally enjoy Paperback as it stretches your brain to spell words and not just constantly trigger card synergies like other deck builders.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Lorini posted:

I sure hope Lords of Hellas is good as I spent a fortune on it:). It'll be here on Monday just AFTER a gameday meeup unfortunately.

I tried it and as a dudes on a map game, I found it quite inferior to Kemet and Chaos in the Old World and Cthulhu Wars.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

Consider Fairy Tale if you like Seven Wonders. And I personally enjoy Paperback as it stretches your brain to spell words and not just constantly trigger card synergies like other deck builders.

Except Paperback stretches your brain to spell the same words over and over again with tiny variations for a long time, until a burst of novel words ends the game for somebody.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Some Numbers posted:

I tried it and as a dudes on a map game, I found it quite inferior to Kemet and Chaos in the Old World and Cthulhu Wars.
It seems to do some really novel things in the space with all the various paths to victory but it seems like balance would be really wonky.

Jejoma
Nov 5, 2008

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Katie's Game Corner made a depressing post about getting sexually harassed by game bros. This poo poo is so pervasive. :(
https://katiesgamecorner.com/2018/06/20/the-truth-about-sexual-harrassment-and-boardgaming/

To follow up on this, some completely loving amateur board gaming "news" magazine has published a story on this including details about her account, without contacting her at all. (https://twitter.com/TabletopMag/status/1009720009432723458) Also the thread about her original post over on BGG is a loving burning cesspool, which is a surprise to no one, of course.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I got Gloomhaven while it was available on amazon after learning about it, thought it sounded cool, and saw that it was apparently solo friendly. That said, are there any games that are good or better for solo? I did hear of Mage Knight before.

silvergoose posted:

Reusable stickers, seriously, and an app, and then you dno't need to buy another copy, the only thing that actually is wrecked is the seals on the dark one's prison character boxes.

We did this for exactly your latter point, we want to play with our two kids.

I am going to assume that this is just a joke on the word seal and not an actual spoiler.

Yup! :v:

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Unlucky7 posted:

I got Gloomhaven while it was available on amazon after learning about it, thought it sounded cool, and saw that it was apparently solo friendly. That said, are there any games that are good or better for solo? I did hear of Mage Knight before.

I am going to assume that this is just a joke on the word seal and not an actual spoiler.

Yup! :v:

It is indeed because I've listened to the wheel of time audiobook set more than once so the almost automatic phrase to follow the word seals is "to the dark one's prison" because I'm a neeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeerd.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Unlucky7 posted:

You can just open them from the bottom to keep the seals intact.

Bodanarko
May 29, 2009
Looking for advice on a good medium weight civ game. We have 7WD (50% of our plays are 2p so we went with Duel) and love it but I’d like something with a little more depth.

I have TtA mobile and love it but not sure about the fiddliness and downtime, especially if we play with more than 2.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Maybe Innovation? It's still just card based but has a lot of fun combos to explore while building up. I'd put it on Race for the Galaxy's level (another good card based space civ builder).

If you want a board and map, FFG's new Civ New Dawn is good but maybe not the best balanced (only played once). It plays pretty quick and does a good job of pairing the full Civ experience down to a quick medium weight game.

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Bodanarko posted:

Looking for advice on a good medium weight civ game. We have 7WD (50% of our plays are 2p so we went with Duel) and love it but I’d like something with a little more depth.

I have TtA mobile and love it but not sure about the fiddliness and downtime, especially if we play with more than 2.

Clash of Cultures holy heck Clash of Cultures. It’s desperately out of print but if you want something that feels like the first 100 turns of Civilization 5 then there’s nothing better. If only the game and expansion didn’t cost $200+ on eBay :shepspends:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Unlucky7 posted:

There are a lot of games that are good for solo gaming. I won't say they are "better" than Gloomhaven (because Gloomhaven is obviously the best game in every genre) but some are quit good. First and foremost many Uwe Rosenburg games are good solo. Agricola and Feast for Odin in particular are excellent. There are thousands of Agricola cards out there, so each solo scenario is a unique optimization puzzle. Every combination of cards results in a different puzzle, so there are an almost uncountable number to play! It also includes rules for a "solo campaign" where you can keep cards between rounds (but also must score more points). Mage Knight was mentioned, and it has a similar amount of variety, making each scenario a unique puzzle. I also personally love The Colonists, which is kind of like a mega sized Rosenburg game made by someone that isn't Rosenburg.

You can also play most co-op games as solo. Just control all of the characters yourself. Pandemic is the go to example for this, and is quite fun solo. Robinson Crusoe is also pretty good. Games from the Arkham series (Arkham Horror, AH: Card Game, Eldritch Horror, Elder Sign) can all be played solo as well, though they are a bit less interesting solo than the more euro puzzle type games (in my opinion). Tales of Arabian Nights can be played solo, and its basically like a normal choose your own adventure book.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
Looking for a fourth for a PBF of 1849.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

Triskelli posted:

Clash of Cultures holy heck Clash of Cultures. It’s desperately out of print but if you want something that feels like the first 100 turns of Civilization 5 then there’s nothing better. If only the game and expansion didn’t cost $200+ on eBay :shepspends:

Yeah, Clash of Cultures is pretty great for this, especially with the expansion. That's too bad that it went out of print.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that Terra Mystica has a teeny bit of the essence of Civ for me. You choose the best locations for your settlements and the location of your neighbors factors into that, develop them, there is sort of a tech tree, asymmetric civilization powers, and different strategies for winning the game to explore on later plays.

It evokes more Civ feelings for me than many games that have Civ styled art and theming

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

https://www.amazon.com/Z-Man-Games-...ash+of+cultures

Clash of Cultures in stock Amazon Prime $69

EBag
May 18, 2006

PMush Perfect posted:

Does Caverna work solo? I wouldn't mind playing the low-key parts of Dwarf Fortress without having to relearn Dwarf Fortress.

Forget a Feast for Odin solo, you actually want Fields of Arle. Has better variability and I think is a deeper game, plus if you like it there's an expansion that adds in a ton more stuff. Not to say aFfO isn't good, they're both great but I'd pick FoA any day.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

EBag posted:

Forget a Feast for Odin solo, you actually want Fields of Arle. Has better variability and I think is a deeper game, plus if you like it there's an expansion that adds in a ton more stuff. Not to say aFfO isn't good, they're both great but I'd pick FoA any day.

My only counter to this would be all the great solo scenarios on BGG for AFFO.

EBag
May 18, 2006

I haven't actually tried any of those, I'll look into them. Any in particular that stand out?

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

homullus posted:

Except Paperback stretches your brain to spell the same words over and over again with tiny variations for a long time, until a burst of novel words ends the game for somebody.

I see your point, but I don't play games until I burn out on them. It's odd to see gamers obsess over a game and play it until they "solve it" and then never want to touch it again. I'm far too casual a player for that.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

EBag posted:

I haven't actually tried any of those, I'll look into them. Any in particular that stand out?

Old thread with a ton

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1664063/feast-odin-solo-competition-now-playing-sea-shinin

new thread with new ones

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2002199/feast-odin-monthly-solo-competition-administrative

I've done the first three of the old one so far and enjoyed them all.

Indolent Bastard posted:

I see your point, but I don't play games until I burn out on them. It's odd to see gamers obsess over a game and play it until they "solve it" and then never want to touch it again. I'm far too casual a player for that.

I may be wrong, but I think he was saying that's the feeling of a single game of Paperback, and I agree. The deckbuilder word game is a good idea but with small decks it's going to lead to the same words and iterations of letter combinations over and over.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

If only you could find the Civilizations expansion in a reasonable price as well...

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Indolent Bastard posted:

Yeah, but no. If anything, perhaps I didn't play it enough: I played it perhaps five times, with the last three plays presenting Paperback's flaws as I see them. I got Hardback, which I think may be better, but have not yet played.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Bodanarko posted:

I describe Flow of History as the best parts of Through the Ages and Innovation in a game that plays 5 in 45 minutes.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Cthulhu Wars seems to play better with more people than three. I rarely have four, actually I usually have two or three, so I think for the time being I'll stay with Lords of Hellas. Thanks folks for the input. Kemet we tired of the logistics of all the stuff you had to look up to play decently. Also we much prefer the Greek theme to the horror theme, although if the two games were really equivalent, the horror theme wouldn't stop us.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

Acceptableloss posted:

Thanks. I’ll check this out.

It did not occur to me that the thread in general would react to my question with that much horror. I tend to generally agree with most of the opinions expressed in this thread so I’m curious what I’m missing. I can easily believe that Super Dungeon Explore is just garbage dice rolling Kickstarter crap but was thinking that since there’s a DM I could skew the difficulty as needed for my kids and they’d like the minis.

I’m looking for the next step of boardgame indoctrination for my kids. They really like Tsuro, which I don’t mind playing, but they also like Kids of Carcassone which I hate because it’s mindless. My son likes playing Bios Genesis with me, but he basically just rolls dice because there’s no way he could possibly understand the game mechanics.

TLDR: What game will be a good gateway drug to get my young kids into Gloomhaven?

I think it was less horror and more really ironic timing after the page or three prior were a (Rutibexy) debate wherein someone mentioned semi-jokingly recommending Gloomhaven to anyone vaguely-interested in card or dungeon games.

Maybe pick up Azul? It can fit 4, it's a slight sidestep/upgrade from Kidcassone with a bit more emphasis on future planning (and getting into the eurogame passive-aggression of cutting off your opponent by getting there first), and keeps going with some math and pattern management.

I hate that I'm saying this merely Semi-Ironically but..... Betrayal At House on the Hill/Balder's Gate? Semi dungeon-crawly, and the adults can loosely finegle the traitor reveals to keep things from getting too insane for the kidlings.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

homullus posted:

Yeah, but no. If anything, perhaps I didn't play it enough: I played it perhaps five times, with the last three plays presenting Paperback's flaws as I see them. I got Hardback, which I think may be better, but have not yet played.

I think that Hardback is much better than Paperback. Below are some words I wrote about it in the past.
tl;dr I liked turning any card into a wild to smooth draws, keeping points on board rather than deck to give players a goal to strive toward instead of just spelling words and filling decks with bad letters, and the ability to dump the market row under certain conditions. The negatives were that it was still a market row, and trashing (the most powerful deck building mechanic) was limited to a single genre, which threatens to upset the balance.

Fixes nearly every issue that I had with Paperback by relegating the scoring to a track outside of your deck. There are two general things that your cards do: score points and accrue money to buy more cards. It speeds the game up and makes it clear to new players that there is a goal besides just spelling words. It still operates on a market row, but you can flush it if the majority of the row is either all the same type (there are four 'genres' in the game) or if they all cost 6 or more. You can also use any card in your hand as a wild card at any time, so you never get stuck with a completely useless turn. The last difference is a push your luck mechanic; the only way to draw additional cards in a turn is to use an expendable resource to flip over the top card of your deck that you must include in your word. You can use a different external resource to negate the effect if you must, but it is inventive. My only major question with the game is whether one genre is better than the others, as one genre is trashing cards. I don't think that I have to expound on the power of trashing in deckbuilders. You are incentivized to specialize in one or two genres to trigger additional effects that only occur when another card of that genre is played. My fear is that whoever jumps on the red genre first will win more often than not, assuming equal skill. The attempt to balance it is that it resources that it provides outside of trashing are not as impressive as the other genres, but the ability to sift your deck is probably still better. Still, this is the cleanest deckbuilder in terms of set up/tear down and accessibility that I have played. I just hope that I am wrong about the genre above.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Got Gloomhaven today. Holy gently caress that's a big box with a lot of stuff in it. I'm legit overwhelmed by all the stuff in there! I sure hope I can actually get a group together to play this nonsense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The End
Apr 16, 2007

You're welcome.
Civ A New Dawn shouldn't be overlooked if you're looking for a lighter Civ game. Does some very clever things and makes some smart abstractions.