Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Actually I'm from the future and was talking about a character from Calvard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

The n00b Avenger posted:

They actually separated arcus link level and relationship level in 3 but yeah. The only ones that really have a romantic option in their final max affection scenes are Alisa, Emma, and Laura though. Also you can technically see like 8 scenes in one playthrough if you want to lol. It feels less 'significant' than in 1 or 2

Also, the only scene that is unambiguously romantic from Rean's end is (kinda predictable minor spoilers) Alisa's. He just shows sorta ambiguous affection towards Laura/Emma (Laura gets a hug IIRC, Alisa is the only one who gets a kiss). In my opinion the best older-Rean love interest is Claire. I just feel like they fit together the best for some reason.

One thing I really liked (again minor CS3 spoilers unrelated to plot but just referring to character relationships) is how Rean's students are constantly giving him the side eye every time they encounter another woman from Rean's past who is obviously in love with him. Speaking of the students, I kinda hope they make Yuna x Kurt into a thing in CS4 (just to give someone not-Rean a romance), though I'm kinda doubting it since they didn't seem to be pushing that angle in CS3.

The n00b Avenger posted:

Boo at talking like Altina's the weakest link. She felt like the main heroine in a sense(more so than Juna), she was great.

But yeah it's funny how just one game made me like almost all the main characters more than 2 games worth of old Class 7. In fact I think the thing I'm looking forward to the most in 4 is based on my curiosity on what the deal is with a certain character. It's a strange feeling to be looking forward to a Cold Steel game based on a character of all things!

Despite being the closest thing to a main heroine, (CS3 spoilers) Juna is actually the only one who doesn't seem to really have some major plot thread leading into CS3. Kurt has his rivalry of sorts with one of the major antagonists (Cedric), Ash is obviously involved due to being influenced by the curse plus his connection to Hamel, Altina will be dealing with the loss of Millium and Rean, and Musee has whatever crazy stuff she's up to.

Oh, while I have access to other people who have played the game I have one question - (CS3 spoiler)Why was the "bird cage" in Crossbell opened after the events of Chapter 2? I thought the Empire put all the Crossbell heroes in Michelam Park in order to eliminate Crossbell's sense of patriotic pride so they'd more easily assimilate with the Empire, and I'm not sure how that goal would change after the events of the chapter.

edit: Other general comments (again CS3 spoiler warning): I was very happy to learn that Lloyd will apparently feature in CS4 and be playable. I was really annoyed by his relative absence in CS3 and the whole "passing things off to Rean" situation, largely because I like Lloyd a lot more than Rean and was worried that was the game's way of saying "Lloyd's story is over." It's nice to know that The Better Trails Male Protagonist still has a role to play.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Jun 21, 2018

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Ytlaya posted:

Also, the only scene that is unambiguously romantic from Rean's end is (kinda predictable minor spoilers) Alisa's. He just shows sorta ambiguous affection towards Laura/Emma (Laura gets a hug IIRC, Alisa is the only one who gets a kiss). In my opinion the best older-Rean love interest is Claire. I just feel like they fit together the best for some reason.

One thing I really liked (again minor CS3 spoilers unrelated to plot but just referring to character relationships) is how Rean's students are constantly giving him the side eye every time they encounter another woman from Rean's past who is obviously in love with him. Speaking of the students, I kinda hope they make Yuna x Kurt into a thing in CS4 (just to give someone not-Rean a romance), though I'm kinda doubting it since they didn't seem to be pushing that angle in CS3.

Despite being the closest thing to a main heroine, (CS3 spoilers) Juna is actually the only one who doesn't seem to really have some major plot thread leading into CS3. Kurt has his rivalry of sorts with one of the major antagonists (Cedric), Ash is obviously involved due to being influenced by the curse plus his connection to Hamel, Altina will be dealing with the loss of Millium and Rean, and Musee has whatever crazy stuff she's up to.

Oh, while I have access to other people who have played the game I have one question - (CS3 spoiler)Why was the "bird cage" in Crossbell opened after the events of Chapter 2? I thought the Empire put all the Crossbell heroes in Michelam Park in order to eliminate Crossbell's sense of patriotic pride so they'd more easily assimilate with the Empire, and I'm not sure how that goal would change after the events of the chapter.

edit: Other general comments (again CS3 spoiler warning): I was very happy to learn that Lloyd will apparently feature in CS4 and be playable. I was really annoyed by his relative absence in CS3 and the whole "passing things off to Rean" situation, largely because I like Lloyd a lot more than Rean and was worried that was the game's way of saying "Lloyd's story is over." It's nice to know that The Better Trails Male Protagonist still has a role to play.

Given that CS4 probably heavily involves Crossbell gaining it's independence, I think Juna's covered.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

CS3 my memory might be failing me but iirc they temporarily locked down all of Lloyd's allies in Michelam so they couldn't interfere as they closed in on and took Lloyd and KeA into custody, but Lloyd ends up escaping anyway since he's Lloyd (as seen at the end of Chapter 2) and logistically they can't keep Michelam sealed indefinitely since its an important place and people like Elie and her grandfather are too influential

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Minor CS4 spoilers

Shirley in a school uniform

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Terper posted:

Oh come now, Falcom writes lots of different stories.

Anyway, my favorite Trails character is the single dad with a dead wife who has a daughter, and is the strongest (swords)man in his homeland.

This makes me want to see Adol as a dad (Dadol?)

The n00b Avenger
Dec 21, 2014

Ytlaya posted:

I think it's just because there was a lot of high profile stuff going down at the time so it was especially important to detain the crew so they wouldn't save Crossbell or get involved at such a high profile time which is something they're obviously going to want to avoid.

Once the current crisis is solved, they wouldn't expect anything major to happen in Crossbell for a while so they didn't make keeping the SSS locked up a priority.

The n00b Avenger fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Jun 21, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

OddObserver posted:

This makes me want to see Adol as a dad (Dadol?)

He has a kid with Lilia in the epilogue to Ys 4: The Dawn of Ys but it's UNCANONICAL. Also probably not the best dad since he's left junior at home with mom and run off on another adventure.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Really Tae, you're only going to post that one? Also minor CS4 spoilers Duvalie's new look, with in-game screencap, plus full art out of the magazine scan:

Also major spoilers for Ao in the latest art release (not these specific pictures) so, uh, watch out for that if you want to be unspoiled for that game, even aside from Cold Steel spoilers.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/Hatsuu/status/1010229551635419136

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Hatsuu is just a treat

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Nyoom

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Lord Koth posted:

Also major spoilers for Ao in the latest art release (not these specific pictures) so, uh, watch out for that if you want to be unspoiled for that game, even aside from Cold Steel spoilers.

Yeah, CS3 itself also spoils that (at one point I think they list the current Anguises IIRC), and it's probably the only Ao spoiler I kinda regret encountering. I've held off on playing Ao in Japanese because my Japanese isn't entirely fluent (I have to use my phone a bunch to translate kanji* and some vocabulary) and it's supposed to have a fan translation released soonish (though it's been soonish for like 4 months now, so not sure what's going on there). I went ahead and did CS3 in JP just because I knew it would be at least 1-2 years until it was translated.

* The process of playing CS3 dramatically increased the number of kanji I can read. It was actually a pretty good learning experience, since it's the first time I've bothered translating a really long piece of Japanese media.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I'm really close to just uninstalling II after it decided I assume maybe the last Divine Knight battle in the game was a good time to start doing gear checks, after a fight with two bosses who are only hard because of S-Craft spam.

Like, gently caress.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

just use Sara m8

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I tried that, he just kept going twice in a row anyway.

And now the game won't let me by the first fight now I have Valimar fully loaded up. I just want to beat it and play something else.

Alard
Sep 4, 2011

Try using Gaius' wild rage to fuel a constant morning moon? It might take a while but it got me past that fight in my nightmare run when I was having some trouble.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Use Sara to debuff his speed, use Fie to buff your own speed, repeat swapping back and forth between those two.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Congratulations Trails in the Sky FC for being 14 years old.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Started playing Tokyo Xanadou ex. Why is Tiny-sensei there? Anyway if Cold Steel was Trails of Persona then Tokyo is Persona: Trails edition. Questions:
What is the fourth monitor at the cellphone shop showing? The other three are an in-universe ad and Cold Steel 2 and 3 ads.
Do hidden side quests hate the player, as usual?
Why is the control remap awful? (No game I want attack on X and jump on A WITHOUT remapping confirm/cancel)

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

Omobono posted:

What is the fourth monitor at the cellphone shop showing?

Xanadu Next, if I remember right.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

There's at least one side quest per chapter but you'll find them pretty easily if you're talking to everyone whenever you get chance like you should, dunno about the rest.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://twitter.com/supremezerker/status/1011941369248612352

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
How am I getting this hot for a sprite-based JRPG in the year of our lord 2018

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Because I and many others want to be a member of the RPG police force

Dammit

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

Sidesaddle Cavalry posted:

How am I getting this hot for a sprite-based JRPG in the year of our lord 2018

I'm working up a big-time sweat over here

:f5: :f5: :f5: :f5: :f5:

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

This plus the latest news from dengeki on Sen 4 definitely has me hankering for some Kiseki, thinking of doing a full playthrough of all the games again. Sorry, backlog!

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
https://twitter.com/XSEEDGames/status/1012787876520701954

uiruki
Aug 6, 2003
blah blah blah
Good to see another release with Japanese text. That’s a lot harder to fix than missing Japanese audio as it’s a bit more niche! I’ll be picking that up day 1, was never happy with how it handled on Vita and it really didn’t blow up to TV size well.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

i appreciate that dogi's steady transformation into a jojo's bizarre adventure character continues (if the blue haired guy in the trailer is dogi)

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

he's not

Ryuga Death
May 14, 2008

There's gotta be one more bell to crack
Fun Shoe
I can't wait to buy Ys Memories along with the soundtrack! I already like whatever that song is in the trailer.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Trails of Zero kicks rear end (I find the setting and plot to be better than Sky's, even if I might give Sky's characters the edge). Tio is cool and good, and I kept thinking "low rent Tio" about Altina in CS3.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Are you meant to win this boss in the epilogue of II or can you stall like the game implies?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Justin_Brett posted:

Are you meant to win this boss in the epilogue of II or can you stall like the game implies?

You can 100% win the fight, but it can be quite hard. Are you using the Mirrors?

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
It's the one where you're the cops against Rean and Altina. Are you supposed to have other characters there?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Justin_Brett posted:

It's the one where you're the cops against Rean and Altina. Are you supposed to have other characters there?

Oh, I thought you were talking about something else. Yes, you can win that one. It can be pretty hard, but you can get some good quartz from the monsters in the area.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
Yeah that wasn't too bad, it just emphasized that you had to keep them busy right before so I was curious.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

What's the status of the PC port for lacrimosa of dana? I heard it was godawful when it came out- has NIS made any substantial improvements to it since release, or is it still a dumpster fire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It is no longer horseshit, they've managed to fix it so now it's just poo poo.