Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mentalcontempt
Sep 4, 2002

Marketing New Brain posted:

You can cheat on cooldown a lot by using Leorics Crown. Giving you double a 12.5 percent cooldown is huge, especially since cooldown from many different sources is worse than a single source due to the formula ie two 5 percent cooldown is worse than 1 item granting 10 percent cooldown because each additional cooldown item divides the bonus from all of them to prevent stacking abuse.

Yeah, I have a Crown in the cube, and I think I have CDR on everything that can have it as an attribute. I’m around 53% now and may be at the point where I need perfect CDR rolls to get the last few percent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

There were a ton of big design flaws and even some of the corrections were flawed initially. I went 50+ hours without getting a goblin portal and was gold poor while everyone else was showered in the stuff. Before that I had bad rng getting a rorg as well. But these later-day flaws were nothing compared to:

- all content was done in story mode, without auto-skip

- the horrifically-tuned Inferno difficulty that forced most casuals into A1 butcher runs. This was by design. They wanted you to farm gear in A1 to get to A2 and so on, like the acts were raiding tiers in an MMO but this didn't work because

- the abysmal base drop rate for sets/legendaries meant you would get one to drop about once every few hours, AND

- item statting had almost no rules so you had an even chance of rolling str/Dex/int no matter what class you were playing, and usually it was just four garbage stats, AND

- there was no way to reroll, the stat you got is the stat you have. This all combined meant that as soon as legendary/set highlighting came in (meaning the light a drop gives off to make it visible - yeah that wasn't in launch d3) quickly earned the nickname "shitbeams"

- elite groups had berserk timers and would heal to full if left unengaged

- sets were mostly hot garbage, a couple were useful when you were starting out but were a pain in the rear end to farm for

Probably more but I have to go cover someone's break now

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Feldegast42 posted:

I would think the RMAH is still the root problem though because it was pretty evident the game was filtering you into using it in order to progress, basically in the same way that bad gacha phone games throw up brick walls that can only be circumvented if you spend hours upon hours grinding through it or by paying them :10bux:. There's a pretty good argument that it was the intent from the start.

http://www.sullla.com/D3/unsatisfying.html

In retrospect the system was set up perfectly so that normal / nightmare were fairly easy for casual people (so they would get their money's worth) while hell / inferno were set up pretty well for the whales.
It wasn't like Blizzard was selling Premium Loot Boxes, or doing the phone-game thing of timed lockouts that you could bypass with real money. You were buying stuff off the RMAH because other people put it there, and it was a few weeks after release before they actually got the RMAH working at all (and the gold and gem-selling part took even longer).

The design of Inferno is a straight-up time gate: you were expected to grind A1 until you got enough good pieces to grind A2, and then you could move on to A3+A4. I actually don't think it occurred to Blizzard that people would use the AH as a shortcut through the time gate: I think they were just trying to make a built-in equivalent of d2jsp/similar so that people didn't have to know about an obscure possibly-scammy third-party site in order to trade their items effectively, and didn't realize that making the AH that low-friction would totally gently caress up their economy.

Slum Loser
May 6, 2011
D3 launch was a fun experiment in bad game design, and horrible storytelling gone awry, and probably the worst game I've ever bought that I still semi-regularly play. Words can't describe it... I can't actually think of any other game sequel that was that disappointing.

At launch, it took me until the end of act 4 to get a magic ring that had more than a socket in it, and then I beat Diablo in the worst boss fight ever, and then stopped playing for 3 years. The team who improved it are legends and it's crazy to think it's actually somewhat enjoyable now. But those little fly enemies that shoot out even littler flies as their attack, and the nightmare/knockback champion effects, and how teleport is super nerfed, basically all of the boss fights.... there's still plenty of dumb things to frown about.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Khorne posted:

Those high level mechanics are. Character movement, ability cooldowns, resource mechanics, monster positioning, monster ability positioning, and everything related to how combat works on a mechanical level is actually bad as hell. To the point the majority of it doesn't even really function and things that have made the game fun actively ignore them.

high level GRs become about fishing, you can't just skillfully avoid things because if you don't have the necessary gear level you're going to just drop dead. D3's design is rotten at its core, and the guys who made it fun contained that rot in a beautifully crafted sarcophagus.

How much better of a game would it have been if mechanical skill was far more relevant to gameplay than just outright outgearing everything due to poor underlying mechanics?
I disagree strongly here. I'm not even sure where to begin on how fundamentally killing monsters, objectives, and what pve actually entails changed since release. Even since pre-expansion, or s1/s2/s3, the game has changed significantly.

I played around this time last year without botting and was in the top 10 on at least one of the ladders, top 100 on a few. It's a fun game now despite how bad the underlying game is. I also played CMWW and the spin to win/bleed barb in classic right before expansion hit. It was pretty alright then, too, but no matter which period you're playing in you're still limited by the dreadful gameplay mechanics that the game launched with and are forever resigned to just outgearing content.

Which is fine now, because they made the journey pretty fun and engaging and the way classes play now vs back then is fun as hell. Zdps existing is also really great!! I'm glad they stopped trying to kill them off, because it provides an accessible role for people with limited amounts of time.

So the gist that I'm getting is, you're saying Diablo would be a better game if it were designed from the ground up to be an actual action game rather than a single-unit rts.

And I agree, a lot of the times it feels more like you're fighting against the controls than the mobs, and it's really weird how you can't move and attack at the same time without using specific abilities designed to do just that.

Unfortunately, with the Diablo name comes certain expectations, but I'm surprised that it wound up turning into a weird bullet hell kind of game that's actually pretty fun.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Regarding item stats rerolling, what's the best practice with that? Say I have a super awesome two hand sword that only has a +x vitality stat, and I want it to also have a +y strength stat. Do I pick any of the stats I don't care so much for and try to re-roll those in the hopes of it being swapped for +strength? Or will that stat never show up once the item has already gotten generated, and at best you'll get some crappy Crit % stat instead? Basically, how do I make the most out of that crafter?

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

DreadCthulhu posted:

Regarding item stats rerolling, what's the best practice with that? Say I have a super awesome two hand sword that only has a +x vitality stat, and I want it to also have a +y strength stat. Do I pick any of the stats I don't care so much for and try to re-roll those in the hopes of it being swapped for +strength? Or will that stat never show up once the item has already gotten generated, and at best you'll get some crappy Crit % stat instead? Basically, how do I make the most out of that crafter?

It depends on the stats available and on your class setup, since some stats are worth more than others for some specs (e.g. CDR is huge for some builds, not that useful for others). You generally do roll off Vit for more damage, but you may have another stat that's worse.

If you want to know what you can roll in place of a stat, click the little button next to each stat at the artisan (after you put the weapon in the slot) and you should be able to see all possible options that you can get.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

DreadCthulhu posted:

You can see what stats you can get from a reroll by clicking the question mark button next to the stat in the enchant interface.

Also Crit % actually owns when you reach 70 and the real game starts.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
How do you ensure the CR rewards go to the right character? It automatically chooses the Seasonal one(s)?

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Rinkles posted:

How do you ensure the CR rewards go to the right character? It automatically chooses the Seasonal one(s)?

It's in the mail for your account on that region. You can log into any character and grab it, now that the season is active.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

Rinkles posted:

It goes to a "mailbox" which can be opened on any one character, so make sure you're opening it on a Seasonal character.

(The same is true of the Haedrig's Gift rewards: the game will let you split the set across two characters, even though this is almost certainly not what you want to be doing with it.)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
ty

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Important to note that you can't earn the gift set in SC and claim it in HC or vice versa.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

DreadCthulhu posted:

While still leveling to 70, you'll be jumping levels so frequently that I wouldn't invest toooo many resources into rerolling any one thing as you'll be replacing it pretty quickly.

DreadCthulhu
Sep 17, 2008

What the fuck is up, Denny's?!
Thanks for the tips y'all. Sounds like I should just hurry up and get to 70 asap. I'm at 46 already so should be there soon. Taking my time to enjoy the last act, since it's actually new to me, vs the first 4 that flashed by.

Btw I never quite realized how lovely the writing and the plot was for this game until I replayed it this year. The telenovela of Adria and that other once dead wizard in the desert dude flipping sides was super cringy and you could see it coming from the other side of the globe. I'm a HUGE Witcher 3 fanboy, I feel like that game ruined all other RPG dialog for me. It wasn't necessarily "super mature, deep and dark", but it was believable, and felt more for "grownups". Maybe it's just Blizzard being the Disney of the videogame world and having to cater to both 6 year olds and the 60 year olds. I know some people strongly disagree with that, but oh well.

DreadCthulhu fucked around with this message at 00:19 on Jun 22, 2018

BattleHamster
Mar 18, 2009

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

Man, D3 must have had very different loot at launch.

A funny story about this, Boj Anglers ended up being some of the best boots in the game for certain builds because they used to have an a 13-14% increased attack speed mod (eventually got nerfed and removed). Weird part was that they would either roll with "increases attack speed by X%" or "attack speed increased by X%". Same mod on the surface just worded differently for whatever reason. It was also hard to notice a 13% increase in attack speed unless you stacked a bunch of high level gear that also had the IAS mod.

It didn't take too long for people at higher levels to figure out that the "increases attack speed by X%" mod was actually completely bugged and didn't do anything. Combine this with the RMAH and I don't want to think of how many people got gifted by that gently caress-up.

BattleHamster fucked around with this message at 00:43 on Jun 22, 2018

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

DreadCthulhu posted:

Btw I never quite realized how lovely the writing and the plot was for this game until I replayed it this year.

y-you didn't?

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DreadCthulhu posted:

Thanks for the tips y'all. Sounds like I should just hurry up and get to 70 asap. I'm at 46 already so should be there soon. Taking my time to enjoy the last act, since it's actually new to me, vs the first 4 that flashed by.

Btw I never quite realized how lovely the writing and the plot was for this game until I replayed it this year. The telenovela of Adria and that other once dead wizard in the desert dude flipping sides was super cringy and you could see it coming from the other side of the globe. I'm a HUGE Witcher 3 fanboy, I feel like that game ruined all other RPG dialog for me. It wasn't necessarily "super mature, deep and dark", but it was believable, and felt more for "grownups". Maybe it's just Blizzard being the Disney of the videogame world and having to cater to both 6 year olds and the 60 year olds. I know some people strongly disagree with that, but oh well.

I don't think you'll find disagreement here on how lovely and simple and obvious the plot is. The story misfires on every front, culminating in the fan reaction to Diablo returning being "I'm so glad Leah's finally dead," which is... not what Blizzard wanted us to think about their new character.

Act 5 has a slightly less lovely plot and the "the city's under siege and losing badly" theme isn't bad, at least.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

diablo has a plot?

huh

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

U-DO Burger posted:

diablo has a plot?

huh

Truly, he doth puncheth the daemon and much forgotten soules were obtained.

The end.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Tyrael's cool.

That's it, that's my entire estimation of D3's plot.

xiansi
Jan 26, 2012

im judjing all goons cause they have bad leader, so a noral member is associated whith thoose crasy one

Personaly i would quit the goons if i was in cause of thoose crasy ppl
Clapping Larry

John Murdoch posted:

Tyrael's cool.

That's it, that's my entire estimation of D3's plot.

To start with, maybe. But then you find out how much he eats, and how hard it is being mortal. Then you find out again. And again, etc.

Zoltun Kulle on the other hand. Cocky fucker, but he has the right idea. "We could be riding them like horses". Indeed.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Zolton Kulle did nothing wrong.

Also, "that is why Angels and Demons fear the Nephalem."

SmallpoxJenkins
Jul 9, 2012

"This nephalem has been idle for about 3 hours tyrael."

"Truly a fearsome and great warrior."

Marketing New Brain
Apr 26, 2008

xiansi posted:

To start with, maybe. But then you find out how much he eats, and how hard it is being mortal. Then you find out again. And again, etc.

Zoltun Kulle on the other hand. Cocky fucker, but he has the right idea. "We could be riding them like horses". Indeed.

The best patch is the one that toned down the chatter in town by half

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Marketing New Brain posted:

The best patch is the one that toned down the chatter in town by half

wait, this is the fixed version of town chat?

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
my stomach hurts

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

I'm on ps4 and you don't even hear npcs unless you strain your ears

I don't feel i missed anything

mewse
May 2, 2006

What happened to the horadrim sent to the skovos isles?

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
Why do you keep looking at Kadala?

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

Thorg posted:

I *hate* Skeletal Mages. I never feel like I can get enough of them up. They always go away before I can get all 10 up and it's just an incredibly repetitive and stressful way to play. It feels like the gameplay equivalent of having to manually use windshield wipers. I don't know why they couldn't have had a single rune make the skeletal mages last forever. They'd still be weaker than the singularity rune for people that want to min/max.

Pestilence looks cool, but the cooldown focused gameplay is one of the worst parts of D3. The only build I like (bonestorm) plays more like a Hurricane Druid in D2, and is too weak to push with.

The big problem here is to me the fact that Singularity Mages are just so head and shoulders above every other rune that it isn't funny. Having to dump your essence pool into every cast is no fun, and running Archers or Blood Mages or whatever just is not comparably efficient in any way.

I'd be happy with them lasting indefinitely longer as well, but failing that I'd love to see a nerf to singularity that is spread into the base damage of all mage runes.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Xarbala posted:

So the gist that I'm getting is, you're saying Diablo would be a better game if it were designed from the ground up to be an actual action game rather than a single-unit rts.

And I agree, a lot of the times it feels more like you're fighting against the controls than the mobs, and it's really weird how you can't move and attack at the same time without using specific abilities designed to do just that.

Unfortunately, with the Diablo name comes certain expectations, but I'm surprised that it wound up turning into a weird bullet hell kind of game that's actually pretty fun.
I think D2 did a lot of what I said. There were certainly some mechanical issues in the game, desyncing monster positions and melee abilities, but overall if you knew what you were doing you could out play rather than outgear the majority of the content. In D2LoD hell that became not true in parts of A5. I find classic d2 really interesting, because the power levels of characters was far more in check. D2 and LoD have some huge flaws as well, but I am not sure this is the thread for that.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 12:59 on Jun 22, 2018

5er
Jun 1, 2000

My summary of the Diablo 3 plot:

*Monk punches some pottery in a pillaged catacomb* "THEES BATTLE EES OVER!

(Zoltan Kulle should be Diablo 4's Deckard Cain, in every possible way.)

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice
On the menu screen in game there's a Lower Difficulty and a Raise Difficulty buttons. I've never once seen the Raise Difficulty button available, how does it work?

5er
Jun 1, 2000

SiliconX posted:

On the menu screen in game there's a Lower Difficulty and a Raise Difficulty buttons. I've never once seen the Raise Difficulty button available, how does it work?

It works at lower difficulties, but not somewhere in the Torment ranges.

SiliconX
Sep 18, 2004

That damn Pharah again...

College Slice

5er posted:

It works at lower difficulties, but not somewhere in the Torment ranges.

Hmmmm, I don't recall it ever being available even when I was leveling up in Hard.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Is the basic idea of the Necromancer Pestilence set that while Land of the Dead is up you're an bone-spewing killing machine but outside of it (and I seem to spend a LONG time outside of it) you're weak as poo poo? I've played other meta builds that relied on long-cooldown skills but that cooldown is looooong.

DrSeRRoD
Apr 5, 2008

Pierson posted:

Is the basic idea of the Necromancer Pestilence set that while Land of the Dead is up you're an bone-spewing killing machine but outside of it (and I seem to spend a LONG time outside of it) you're weak as poo poo? I've played other meta builds that relied on long-cooldown skills but that cooldown is looooong.

Yes. Pestilence and Trag GR builds are basically identical, with the only difference is which rune of corpse lance you use. You murder everything on the screen for 10 seconds, then you spend 40-100-ish seconds (depending on CDR) looking for the next elite(s), and hopefully not getting killed in the process.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Aaaah okay. Is there a different Necro build that isn't so feast-and-famine? I don't really care about pushing higher grifts, just completing the season journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Swilo
Jun 2, 2004
ANIME SUCKS HARD
:dukedog:
Neither the Inarius or Rathma sets rely on LOTD, so that's your best bet. Pestilence is good for speed farming without LOTD when your corpse lances one shot most enemies, you simply run around spamming Devour as your trail of fallen enemies fuel the next wave of attacks.

SiliconX posted:

It will only work if you start a game on Normal and want to go up to Hard, they should re-enable it or just remove it entirely for how worthless it is.