Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Zaffy posted:

Burk, I think I have a lead on who put the drat tree through your bathroom.

Looking more and more true

Update on that, we will be moving before the end of the July! Finally got everything sorted on that whole goddamn mess.

Point of advice, don't have trees fall through your home.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

King Vidiot posted:

Gun Media should just release content updates with legally-distinct renames, like Mason Ex and his map The Brundel.

"Why no, this new character we're adding is our own creation. Mason Moorhouse."

I wonder if they could get guest killers ala Dead By Daylight. Cropsy, Hatchet(Alex Crowley?), Leslie Vernon.

The one downside I can think of is so much of the gameplay is made to be extremely Jason-centric. Like the sweater, Pam's head and all that. People would probably have a fit though, screaming about how the lore is different for Cropsy or whatever.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm confused about exactly who you think is suing who here.

Victor Miller (the scriptwriter for the first film) is suing Cunningham (the co-creator of the series, who hired Miller to write the script) for rights that he wouldn't have if he was indeed hired as an employee. Gun Media only has the rights to Friday the 13th as far as the video game is concerned. Because of the lawsuit, all work on the Friday the 13th series is temporarily put on hold. Gun Media isn't actually involved in the suit beyond not being able to continue releasing content until the rights issue is resolved.

My only point is that it's asinine to have a hold put on the game development, because the game will only serve to help whoever winds up with the rights in the end.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Anyone good with Discord bots? Looking for someone to help me out with an idea I conjured up for the channel and/or perhaps 4th of July Weekend(s)

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

My only point is that it's asinine to have a hold put on the game development, because the game will only serve to help whoever winds up with the rights in the end.

Yes, but you see, if we don’t end up with the rights then it’s helping them, and we can’t have that.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Lawyer: "Alright folks, I understand there's a dispute over this house during your divorce. One of you will wind up with it. Meanwhile a landscaper is sprucing up the yard for free, which will help curb appeal so I think we should...."

Divorcees: "NO!"

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Right now the licensing agreement that lets Gun Media produce the game is with the current rights holders. If the judge were to rule in favor of Miller, there's a possibility that the agreement may suddenly become null and void. The legal order to cease work on the series until the suit is settled keeps them from wasting a bunch of time and money on work that may no longer have a contract in place to allow for its publication.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

chitoryu12 posted:

Right now the licensing agreement that lets Gun Media produce the game is with the current rights holders. If the judge were to rule in favor of Miller, there's a possibility that the agreement may suddenly become null and void. The legal order to cease work on the series until the suit is settled keeps them from wasting a bunch of time and money on work that may no longer have a contract in place to allow for its publication.

I understand what's happening - I just don't understand why things have to be so stupid.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I understand what's happening - I just don't understand why things have to be so stupid.

Licensing agreements tend to be very strict about how things can be used in which formats. If the judge unexpectedly rules in Miller's favor and this gives him any form of creative control (in the worst case, granting him rights to Jason Voorhees and Pamela Voorhees), it's likely that the licensing agreement that Gun made with Horror Inc. will cease to exist. Unless a new agreement could be hashed out, there's a possibility that even the sale of the game would have to be stopped.

That being said, I don't think it's going to happen. I haven't gotten to read the contract Miller signed with the Manny Company back in the 70s, but assuming Cunningham's argument is telling the truth they've probably got a tight case to maintain the rights. But it's perfectly understandable that the judge wouldn't want Gun and other companies to waste their time and money on a bunch of work that may suddenly be under an illegal contract.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
In the game of American litigation, there are no winners.

Except the lawyers, who always win.

Back to more pressing matters: Who has the elite Discord bot skills?

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

In the game of American litigation, there are no winners.

Except the lawyers, who always win.

Back to more pressing matters: Who has the elite Discord bot skills?

A woman hit my car while playing on her phone. She sued me because my car was past the stop sign so I was "at fault" (the sign is literally 14' behind the actual intersection, so of course my bumper was past it in order for me to see oncoming traffic).

My insurance company lawyer pushed our court date back so long that the lady had to settle and would owe her lawyer out of pocket because after the settlement date her attorney fees would just keep going up while there was a cap on how much she could sue for.

So I really want to thank my insurance company for sticking it to that motherfucker, BUT, end of the day, the insurance company payout was a write-off, she lost money on a bogus lawsuit, and I got dragged through hell over a bogus lawsuit.

Both attorneys, though, made a small fortune and didn't even have to set foot in a courtroom. Our legal system is hilariously efficient at achieving its actual purpose.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I just don't understand why things have to be so stupid.

As 1985's pop band Opus once sang, "Life is Life".

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
HEY PC CAMPERS!

We're going to be announcing an upcoming Goon event which will take place on and around the 4th of July - I need your help in brainstorming some fun "goon achievements" which may get incorporated into the event! Try to think of things which are fun / funny / skillful but also will balance each other out. Ridiculous goon-isms welcome.

Some things I've come up with so far as possibilities:

• Embrace destiny: In a car with at least two other counselors, intentionally drive into the lake.

• Screw you guys, I'm going home: After being a passenger in a car which was driven by another counselor into the lake - escape the map.

• Is this helping?: "Free" a fellow counselor from Jason's grasp by hitting them both with the car. (Counselor survival not required)

• Is this helping? Part II: "Free" a fellow counselor from Jason's grasp by shooting them both. (Counselor survival not required)

• Best served cold After being killed by a fellow counselor, kill that counselor as Tommy Jarvis. (same game)

• Burk'ed: Be the victim of a gamebreaking / hilarious bug in a game with Burk.

• The Underdog: Kill 8/8 counselors as Jason II or IV.

• Manhattan Project: Kill 8/8 counselors with Jason VIII using only head punch.

• The Duster challenge: Kill 8/8 counselors with any Jason using different environmental kills on each counselor.

• The cult of Jenny: As a member of the Jenny cult, get a pubbie to freak out or laugh.

• The waiting game: Timeout a match as Jenny.

• The life of Tinfoil: While at least one counselor is still alive, be continuously chased by Jason for 5 minutes in a match where everyone ultimately dies.

• The life of Icey: In the same match: (1) fully repair the phone, call the police, and (2) fully repair a vehicle and escape in it alone.

• Party! With at least three other counselors doing the same, dance uninterrupted for four minutes anywhere there is an active radio.

• Rager!!!: With at least three other counselors doing the same, dance uninterrupted for 30 seconds inside Jasons shack.

• Crasher: As Jason, interrupt a Party or Rager attempt.

• Grillmaster: As Jason, kill at least three counselors with the fireplace or campfire environmental kills in the same game.

• Independence Day: Stunlock Jason with two or more fireworks.

• Surprise Mothafucka: As Jason, have a counselor open a door to you within grab range while you're stalking.

Comments / other ideas welcome

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Jun 21, 2018

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

quote:

Hey Campers,

Sorry for the silence as of recent. It’s been a tough couple weeks, as I’m sure you’re aware. But I wanted to address a few questions that I’ve had sent to me personally, as well as questions we’ve received through the official F13 channels. These questions vary but all have a similar tone/request. “Is there a chance of any content being added to the game if a ruling on the dispute occurs in the near future?” The answer is no.

Development on games can’t just pause indefinitely and pick back up again; it doesn’t work that way. Especially when you have no idea when that future date will occur. We can’t keep building content that may never see the light of day. That’s bad business. I’ve also had questions about adding “non-F13” related content to the game. “Can’t you make a new level or a new counselor that has nothing to do with the films?” We can’t do that either. We can’t add any content, whatsoever. Nada. Not even a new tree or rock. We can only focus on console dedicated servers, bug fixes, and maintenance.

I know this isn’t the news you wanted to hear and I wish the situation were different. But it’s the painful truth. I appreciate your passion and look forward to seeing everyone around camp.

-W

http://forum.f13game.com/topic/20227-questions-about-future-content/

:smith:

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
loving hell.

edit: Watch people who don't know how the world works start sending death threats to the devs.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

HEY PC CAMPERS!

We're going to be announcing an upcoming Goon event which will take place on and around the 4th of July - I need your help in brainstorming some fun "goon achievements" which may get incorporated into the event! Try to think of things which are fun / funny / skillful but also will balance each other out. Ridiculous goon-isms welcome.

Some things I've come up with so far as possibilities:

Comments / other ideas welcome

So what you're saying is I've already mastered half the list

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I'm confused. How would the rights dispute being ended in their favor make it impossible to start development again? Were they required to throw out all of their assets and they can't restart once it all ends?

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm confused. How would the rights dispute being ended in their favor make it impossible to start development again? Were they required to throw out all of their assets and they can't restart once it all ends?

I think it's just they gotta get paid somehow, so they gotta move on.

RIP

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

A. Beaverhausen posted:

I think it's just they gotta get paid somehow, so they gotta move on.

RIP

I mean yeah, you can do work on something else. But unless you trashed all your assets or the court order said "Also you can never work on the game again even if no contracts change from the ruling", there shouldn't be any good reason for just canceling all development forever and never touching it even if you can.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Burkion posted:

So what you're saying is I've already mastered half the list

I think you WILL be half the list, Burk.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

At this point I'm just hoping the studio can stay alive until the rights issues are sorted out, and then resume making content for the game, maybe relaunch it or something, with some new stuff. but who knows at this point what they'll manage to do

sucks they got screwed over like this

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

I think you WILL be half the list, Burk.

You know, no joke

I think I've actually had some games where I did about 4 of these in the same match.

Sometimes things just work out so nicely.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Burkion posted:

You know, no joke

I think I've actually had some games where I did about 4 of these in the same match.

Sometimes things just work out so nicely.

I have some Burk specific ones in mind for you, as a foil to everyone trying to do anything.

Ex:

Burk is the last counselor left alive (- points for Jason)
Burk was allowed to call the police as LaChappa (- points for Jason)
You chased Burk for more than 90 seconds (- points for Jason)
Burk was allowed to drive the car (-points all counselors)

HORMELCHILI
Jan 13, 2010

It isn't cheap to run a game studio or make games so they have to move on to their next projects instead of paying people to sit around and wait for a court case that will probably be purposefully dragged out

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

HORMELCHILI posted:

It isn't cheap to run a game studio or make games so they have to move on to their next projects instead of paying people to sit around and wait for a court case that will probably be purposefully dragged out

I'm not suggesting they just sit there and do nothing. I'm just questioning the implication that even after the court case is finished, they have no ability to ever restart development.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I’m just bummed we likely won’t see the Grendel map, that’s what I was looking forward to more than Uber Jason, honestly.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Some more good ones courtesy of Icey:

The Fucker: Escape alone in a vehicle which has not been started yet and you had absolutely nothing to do with repairing.

(Australian Accent) Clever Girl: Escape in a car where Jason had stopped the car and you never got out of a passenger seat.

UBER: Escape in a vehicle where you make three separate stops to pick people up.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm not suggesting they just sit there and do nothing. I'm just questioning the implication that even after the court case is finished, they have no ability to ever restart development.

Once they start on another project, that's it. They can't afford to split their resources or just drop their new project and pick back up on F13. Game's dead, press F to pay respects.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
I just started the game and it ran fine? :confused:

I keep hearing it's dead.

Hexenritter
May 20, 2001

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

(Australian Accent) Clever Girl: Escape in a car where Jason had stopped the car and you never got out of a passenger seat.

Muldoon was English you loving colonial

edit:
"Crikey, this dinosaur island is bonzer! Just watch out for the velociraptors, they'll be on you like a bogan in a truckie stop pisser before you can say 'throw another shrimp on the barbie'"

Hexenritter fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jun 22, 2018

TheBizzness
Oct 5, 2004

Reign on me.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Some more good ones courtesy of Icey:

The Fucker: Escape alone in a vehicle which has not been started yet and you had absolutely nothing to do with repairing.

UBER: Escape in a vehicle where you make three separate stops to pick people up.

All 3 of these I do/have done regularly

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

if this game ever gets dedicated servers on console I might actually boot it up for the first time in like a year.

codenameFANGIO
May 4, 2012

What are you even booing here?

The Berzerker posted:

if this game ever gets dedicated servers on console I might actually boot it up for the first time in like a year.

:waycool:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

The hundreds of people who keep insisting the lawsuit is some kind of scam on the part of GUN and Illfonic are really stressing me out. Every time I try to check on upcoming bug fixes, there's a couple dozen of them screaming about conspiracy theories, and they're so convinced that the evidence is on their side.

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Lurdiak posted:

The hundreds of people who keep insisting the lawsuit is some kind of scam on the part of GUN and Illfonic are really stressing me out. Every time I try to check on upcoming bug fixes, there's a couple dozen of them screaming about conspiracy theories, and they're so convinced that the evidence is on their side.

People are just terrible.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001

Drunken Baker posted:

People are just terrible.

I honestly think the game would have been more popular if they had no social media at all. Their official forums and Reddit are both cesspools. "I love this game except the devs are useless and can't do anything right. At all. Not one thing they have done is good. I hate that they are ruining this game I love."

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I honestly think the game would have been more popular if they had no social media at all. Their official forums and Reddit are both cesspools. "I love this game except the devs are useless and can't do anything right. At all. Not one thing they have done is good. I hate that they are ruining this game I love."

A whole straight year of this and nothing ever being good enough. Yeah, the community was bullshit.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Stay tuned campers for a Goon community event announcement - the last good community left for this game! Announcement early this week!

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
...or whenever we get the Discord bot working. This week, most like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/weskeltner/status/1011683605595205638?s=19

:smith:

• Locked thread