Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:

Starshark posted:

I see the editorial standards at the ABC are as good as ever.

ABC had a "give Trump a chance" opinion piece written by some MRA-ish type this week
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-20/why-we-should-all-give-donald-trump-a-chance/9887104

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Gonna go against sentiment here and say that I just renewed my greens membership for the year. But I’m in electorates that could go green at the state and federal level.

Either way, they’re the least poo poo option in a field filled with terrible options.

asio
Nov 29, 2008

"Also Sprach Arnold Jacobs: A Developmental Guide for Brass Wind Musicians" refers to the mullet as an important tool for professional cornet playing and box smashing black and blood

AgentF posted:

Would like to hear more opinions on this. Although local charitable works is undoubtedly important, I've always thought there is value in working on the high-level, long-term fight as well. A single government decision to slash social security or imprison refugees or abolish HECS/HELP could offset the charitable work of hundreds of volunteers, right? It seems that politics is a harder, longer-term struggle, with few short-term results but still one that cannot afford to be ignored.

History is not a long march towards inevitable progress. In the long run we'll all be dead. Political parties favour sycophants (Even the greens). The data-driven campaign model has been exposed as unreliable. We live in a representative democracy and the quality of local representative is directly related to the nature of the community they are from. Thread punching-bag United Nations Association of Australia (as an example of non-political party activism) has a greater effect on government policy than political opposition.

Pros: politicians get on tv

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Dude McAwesome posted:

Gonna go against sentiment here and say that I just renewed my greens membership for the year. But I’m in electorates that could go green at the state and federal level.

Either way, they’re the least poo poo option in a field filled with terrible options.

I don't think that's been disputed, but I'm interested (and Agent F kicked this off) in seeing if there are more effective options for our cash money; a better return on investment.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Beetphyxious posted:

I don't think that's been disputed, but I'm interested (and Agent F kicked this off) in seeing if there are more effective options for our cash money; a better return on investment.

investing is kulak behaviour, gulag 4 u

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Birdstrike posted:

investing is kulak behaviour, gulag 4 u

an yet u live in capitalism

:smugmrgw:

Dude McAwesome
Sep 30, 2004

Still better than a Ponytar

Beetphyxious posted:

I’m sure there would be at the micro level, but what does $90/$180 get you on a macro level?

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

:thunk:

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

"If I say it enough, people will think it's true!"

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

I’m sure that the very wise voting public will consider the current fiscal environment and conclude that the LNP taxcut is a costly exercise that ultimately will not stimulate the economy and will be to the detriment of services, therefore deciding to vote ALP in the next election.

Certainly they won’t listen to the usual suspects saying TAXCUT GOOD and vote LNP because they’re very stupid.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Dude McAwesome posted:

I’m sure there would be at the micro level, but what does $90/$180 get you on a macro level?

I'm going to be the only person donating to X cause / group / institution / paper?

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

these loss edits are getting very abstract

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

Wouldn't they need to print a retraction on this fairly quickly, given it's entirely un-factual?

Also the Left Wing versions of the IPA include the Australia Institute, the Grattan Institute I think, is another one, there's the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, and Getup! Itself. You got heaps of options there, but it depends what type of change you're seeking to affect. If you want to change government policy, you can't really beat involvement in politics - but that comes with great sacrifices. Not many people are willing to step up, especially if you don't live in or adjacent to Canberra. The commute would be pretty punishing, and then you have the Murdoch sycophants constantly trying to make you look like poo poo in front of the whole country. (And goons ITT eat it right up so I can imagine the rest of the country has a sizable helping themselves).

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Once upon a time, I would have thrown you halfway to the moon for a crack like that.

Don Dongington posted:

Wouldn't they need to print a retraction on this fairly quickly, given it's entirely un-factual?

Nah, that'd only be needed if it didn't fit the LNP narrative.

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Anidav posted:

Issue is LNP has no one leadership material in the ranks after Turnbull. Shorten can easily play the status quo.
From his appearance on AM this morning I think Scott Morrison is positioning himself as the next leader while grooming Mathius Corman for treasury. How and when this plays out is less certain but given LNP politician's short attention spans I'd say immediately Malcolm Turdball implodes.

Beetphyxious posted:

I'm interested in this too, because I let my Greens membership lapse late last year for a number of reasons and would rather put that money elsewhere.
Beets were never a green vegetable.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Cartoon posted:

From his appearance on AM this morning I think Scott Morrison is positioning himself as the next leader while grooming Mathius Corman for treasury. How and when this plays out is less certain but given LNP politician's short attention spans I'd say immediately Malcolm Turdball implodes.
Beets were never a green vegetable.

red all the way through baby

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Lets all join the SALTies IRL

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Guys I've made a terrible mistake,

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

Don Dongington posted:

Ha Ha Ha! Very funny joke!!

Also in my experience the Grattan Institute has been very much a centrist third way think tank. The Australia Institute is better (the neoliberalism thinkpiece in the guardian was by their chief economist) but not as left as many in this thread would like.

hambeet
Sep 13, 2002

Don Dongington posted:

Also the Left Wing versions of the IPA include the Australia Institute, the Grattan Institute I think, is another one, there's the Asylum Seeker Resource Centre, and Getup! Itself. You got heaps of options there, but it depends what type of change you're seeking to affect.

That's them. I've had my coffee so things are coming back to me now.

I was talking about more long term attitude changes. I guess I could just wait around for all the boomers to kick it. That'd produce a swing in the right (heh) direction and is technically a long term strategy.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

BBJoey posted:

not as left as many in this thread would like.
Timeless posts.

The Before Times
Mar 8, 2014

Gargasoulas (Bourke St Driver) jury has been discharged after being unable to determine whether he's fit for trial.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
GIVE HIM THE CHAIR

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

GIVE HIM THE CHAIR

An odd request, but in fairness, he'd probably be more rational than our last few Speakers,

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

JBP posted:

GIVE HIM THE CHAIR

Mad Katter
Aug 23, 2010

STOP THE BATS
I miss chair memes

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Former Auburn deputy mayor Salim Mehajer will spend at least 11 months in jail for electoral fraud.

A magistrate imposed a 21-month sentence for 77 cases of electoral fraud in 2012.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

https://twitter.com/Kon__K/status/1009935384883556352

answered by:

https://twitter.com/hereistash/status/1009939897195433984

edit: @jarrodmckenna's origina tweet:

https://twitter.com/jarrodmckenna/status/1009776019778068480

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
I really need to sit down one day and write down my farming rants because I learnt a lot at my last job and have a lot to say about farming and why it's utterly hosed. But today in farming news:

Farm workers entitled to overtime, farmers lose their loving minds.

To put it bluntly - if the only way for you to turn a profit is to exploit your workers, you shouldn't be in business.

bandaid.friend
Apr 25, 2017

:obama:My first car was a stick:obama:
http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-22/food-fight-over-vegetarian-product-in-meat-fridge/9899404
More MPs upset about that one faux meat being sold next to the meat

quote:

A Government politician representing beef industry heartland has taken issue with the labelling and placement of a vegetarian product, describing it as a "traitorous protein" that should not be stocked on supermarket meat aisle shelves.
Michelle Landry, who paints herself as a "committed carnivore", holds the marginal Queensland seat of Capricornia.
The electorate includes Rockhampton — which celebrates its links with the cattle industry through six giant bull statues, and hosts the national beef expo.
The Nationals chief whip questioned Woolworths's decision to stock a 100 per cent "plant-based" product in the meat section of the supermarket, labelled as "minced".
"When red-blooded Australians peruse the aisle for red meat to feed their hunger, they are looking for good, wholesome, natural, Australian beef — not a pile of manipulated mung beans with a fancy name and a lab coat," Ms Landry said.
"If people are genuine vegans, they will hardly be looking for products in the red meat section anyway.
"This is clearly an attempt to trick consumers into taking home a Trojan horse of processed protein posturing."
Her comments come after her Nationals colleague Barry O'Sullivan called for Woolworths to pull the product from shelves.
The National Farmers Federation has also weighed in, calling for more clarity about labelling for products related to milk or meat.
Nationals leader and Deputy Prime Minister Michael McCormack also took issue with the labelling, arguing "mince is meat" and the term should be reserved for meat products.
Labor's agriculture spokesman Joel Fitzgibbon said the case highlighted the importance of "genuine truth-in-labelling".
"Consumers are entitled to known what's in their food and where it comes from. Despite all its talk, the Turnbull Government has failed on both fronts," he said.
treacherous mung beans. Looking forward to the Government legislating carob drops be located outside the chocolate aisle, ginger beers be relabeled and almond milk not to be sold within fifty metres of a boob

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
The kind of personality vacuums who get so up in arms about "I'm a fucken carnivore mate nyeah" and waste their time alliterating on it have more in common with the vegans they mock than anyone actually doing the shopping.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
Lol lab meat and meat substitutes are probably the only viable and sustainable source of protein you idiot fucks.

Didn't care about killing the car industry mistah speakah

Sparticle
Oct 7, 2012

Soybeans undermining masculinity. Trojan horse mung beans lying in wait. I'm sure chickpeas are up to some sinister poo poo too.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
So I made it back to Australia. I now have things normal people have, like a bank account and a therapist. Also I may not need to go on the dole after all.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

froglet posted:

But today in farming news:

Farm workers entitled to overtime, farmers lose their loving minds.

To put it bluntly - if the only way for you to turn a profit is to exploit your workers, you shouldn't be in business.

Lol the threats of "illegal behaviour" if the overtime is paid, uh bro that's undermining your argument. You have to go back to 2011 for ABS figures, but the demographics of farming is not a very cheerful outlook compared to its potential as an industry.

simmyb
Sep 29, 2005

I'm no expert but I'd bet farmers get hosed 10x worse by major supermarkets and brokers than by employees pay/conditions.

Maybe they should join some sort of... Farmers Union

e: gently caress now I want iced coffee

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Don Dongington posted:

Lol lab meat and meat substitutes are probably the only viable and sustainable source of protein you idiot fucks.

My dude, I have some huge news.

Beans exist.

quote:

When red-blooded Australians peruse the aisle for red meat to feed their hunger, they are looking for good, wholesome, natural, Australian beef

a) get hosed that commercial animal agriculture is somehow natural

b) Red meat, such as beef, lamb and pork, has been classified as a Group 2A carcinogen which means it probably causes cancer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

plumpy hole lever
Aug 8, 2003

♥ Anime is real ♥
[quote="Zenithe" post="485346238"]
My dude, I have some huge news.

Beans exist.

get a load of this guy i bet he farts a lot