Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
"This is most verily unproductive" also sounds like a parody of how Thor talks, which is...troublesome...coming from the guy who's written so much Thor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Aaron on avengers sounds totally different than Aaron on Thor, right? For Thor, Loki, Steve, really every character?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I'm afraid that instead of going "Alright. Time to make an impact" he figured this could be his most mainstream comic and decided to shift into lowest common denominator mode.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

So I don't read much Carol stuff, but everything I see her in, she's not very likeable.

Which is weird because they want her to be like an A-lister, right?

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I think it's just hard to write an ensemble and he's going for a light, comic tone.

I think it's decent so far but the pacing is slow, and the third issue is very guilty of this.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

That could be it. Aaron has struggled for team event books too, like the middle and ending of original sin.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Waffleman_ posted:

So I don't read much Carol stuff, but everything I see her in, she's not very likeable.

Which is weird because they want her to be like an A-lister, right?

Them wanting Carol to be an A-Lister does not equal them knowing how to write Carol like an A-Lister. They write Carol like Roman Reigns

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

Here's hoping her movie is good and the comics can start ripping off her movie portrayal to improve her in the books. If the movie sucks, it's time to give up and move on to Sue or someone else for their wonder woman.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Onmi posted:

Them wanting Carol to be an A-Lister does not equal them knowing how to write Carol like an A-Lister. They write Carol like Roman Reigns

I feel like I've given Carol a pretty good shot over the years. The DeConnick stuff was talked up endlessly but I never cared for it. Her book with Alpha Flight is... okay, but it doesn't feel like an A-list book either. It all very much feels like they want me to like her just because I'm supposed to, and that sucks because I do want to like her.

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Do Thor and Avengers fall into different editorial offices? The difference in quality could be Aaron having a very comfortable creative/working dynamic with his Thor editors, and not, or at least not yet, clicking with the Avengers editorial team.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

The only contemporary Carol stuff I've liked is her hanging out with Kamala frankly, which is rare and almost more a commentary on the strength of the latter character really.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Even on poo poo like Champions where Carol showed up (and was right for a change) she went about it terribly and caused a fight between Alpha Flight and Champions.

Carol is terrible and my dark hope is the movie fixes her so “movie synergy” fixes her in the comics.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I liked when she went on a date with Spider-Man.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I mean they assassinated the living hell out of Tony Stark's character before he became the biggest thing in the Marvel world since a tasty bowl of Kirby Krackles; maybe they thought that formula would work for Carol.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't figure out why they can't make Carol work as an A-lister because I feel like she should be a sure thing. Maybe it's the same as Cyborg at DC - I like the characters and I like stories they've been in, but they've never really been main characters when I liked them before; they were always best as part of the team to me.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Teenage Fansub posted:

Like always, "yeeess?"

This is a bad page:

This conversation is funnier if you also read yesterdays champions where she has the same exact argument with kamala about going all minority report on people

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Endless Mike posted:

I liked when she went on a date with Spider-Man.

I forgot about that. That would have been a fun couple.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
so i just finished slotts iron man, and besides it being fairly generic and not really that interesting (i know i know shocking) it feels incredibly weird that slott decided to jettison the entire supporting cast besides rhodey

friday got replaced with jocasta, mary jane got replaced by rando red head girl, riri is now rando old guy, mom is gone, and theres no explanation theyre just gone it's like what the hell

site fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Jun 21, 2018

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

so i just finished slotts iron man, and besides it being fairly generic and not really that interesting (i know i know shocking) it feels incredibly weird that slott decided to jettison the entire supporting cast besides rhodey

friday got replaced with jocasta, mary jane got replaced by rando red head girl, riri is now rando old guy, mom is gone, and theres no explanation theyre just gone it's like what the hell

It was absolutely terrible BUT Bethany Cabe makes more sense than Mary Jane.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
is cabe a returning character from the beforetimes then? i didnt recognize her

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
I really love Mary Jane and wish she’d get her due with a great team and book.

Like, and Adam Hughes on art

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Gatts posted:

I'm sure I'm in the minority, but i wish she'd get back with Peter and wear the Iron Spider suit. Or I guess something similar since Miles' uncle has it now.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
renew your vows

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

site posted:

renew your vows

Yeah I know. I just wanted it in current-616.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

site posted:

is cabe a returning character from the beforetimes then? i didnt recognize her

Yeah Cabe's been around on and off since the 70's

I don't think it's weird to jettison a supporting cast given how often it happens. Bendis ditched everything Taylor did, Taylor ditched everything Gillen did, so on and so forth. It's how a lot of runs kick off with only the absolute most long term characters like Lois Lane mostly immune to this.

Hell Sharon Carter is practically synonymous with Captain America but she disappears for stretches of years at a time.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Gatts posted:

lmao

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah Cabe's been around on and off since the 70's

I don't think it's weird to jettison a supporting cast given how often it happens. Bendis ditched everything Taylor did, Taylor ditched everything Gillen did, so on and so forth. It's how a lot of runs kick off with only the absolute most long term characters like Lois Lane mostly immune to this.

Hell Sharon Carter is practically synonymous with Captain America but she disappears for stretches of years at a time.

thats true. i guess my thinking on this is that invincible spent the last like 7 months having permutations of that group together building them into coworker, friends, and teammates for the finale where they all come together and embrace as a more or less familial unit and then the next issue opens and we're not even paying lip service to the idea that any of that mattered or that it even happened at all. it just makes the entire thing retroactively feel meaningless imo

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

site posted:

thats true. i guess my thinking on this is that invincible spent the last like 7 months having permutations of that group together building them into coworker, friends, and teammates for the finale where they all come together and embrace as a more or less familial unit and then the next issue opens and we're not even paying lip service to the idea that any of that mattered or that it even happened at all. it just makes the entire thing retroactively feel meaningless imo

Bendis is a better writer than Slott.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

site posted:

That's Comics!

Look on the bright side: No one's revealed the entire Bendis run was an elaborate dream sequences like how Bruce Jones' entire 41 issue run on the Hulk was immediately retconned out by Peter David as Nightmare messing with him. gently caress you, everyone who bought those comics!

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost

My favorite artist.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Rhyno posted:

Bendis is a better writer than Slott.

hosed up but true.

Speaking of Renew Your Vows though, the latest issue was really good.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Blockhouse posted:

I was going to say she spent more time gone than there, but it's pretty even at this point. She was dead for sixteen years before Mark Waid (somewhat controversially) brought her back his first Captain America run, and was used a fair bit in Dan Jurgens's follow-up run. She more or less disappeared for the volume of Cap that came between the end of Jurgens (2001) and Brubaker taking over (2005), but has appeared pretty consistently for the past decade or so. Mainly I'm just old, because I considered her coming back 22 years ago as "pretty recently".

Gatts posted:

My favorite artist.
I don't want to speak for Mike but I assume the laughter is at the idea that any book with Adam Hughes interiors would come out at a pace greater than once every two years.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Hey, Adam Hughes just did 3 issues of Betty and Veronica in a year!

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Edge & Christian posted:

I was going to say she spent more time gone than there, but it's pretty even at this point. She was dead for sixteen years before Mark Waid (somewhat controversially) brought her back his first Captain America run, and was used a fair bit in Dan Jurgens's follow-up run. She more or less disappeared for the volume of Cap that came between the end of Jurgens (2001) and Brubaker taking over (2005), but has appeared pretty consistently for the past decade or so. Mainly I'm just old, because I considered her coming back 22 years ago as "pretty recently".

Sharon is definitely the leading Marvel supporting character who gets the worst of it, followed closely by Jane Foster and Betty Ross.

The only comparable important-classic-character-constantly-ghosting thing I think of for DC is...Steve Trevor?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Blockhouse posted:

That's Comics!

yeah i know, i guess it just irks me when it gets thrown in my face like that

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

Codependent Poster posted:

Hey, Adam Hughes just did 3 issues of Betty and Veronica in a year!
I had kind of forgotten about that, and had completely forgot about Before Watchmen.

Just for fun a compendium of 21st Century Adam Hughes interior art (years where he completed at least an issue's worth of art bolded)

2000: 2 pages of an issue of The Dreaming
2001: None
2002: None
2003: 5 pages of a Tom Strong issue
2004: None
2005: None
2006: Wonder Woman Origin for 52, two pages
2007: Power Girl Origin for 52, two pages
2008: None
2009: None
2010: 2 pages for Superman/Batman #75
2011: None
2012: One page of Fables #100, 3 pages for Fables #113
2013: 3 pages of Fairest OGN, four entire issues of Dr. Manhattan
2014: One page of Harley Quinn #0, 8 pages for Batman Black & White
2015: None
2016: 23 pages of Betty & Veronica
2017: 43 pages of Betty & Veronica

2018: 4 pages of Captain America #701

Cartridgeblowers
Jan 3, 2006

Super Mario Bros 3

Iron Man was just kinda... okay? I like his voice for Tony quite a bit but it was a bit too much too fast. Bethany Cabe is a weird cut, as is Jocasta. Honestly, pre-2008 Iron Man characters need a whole new introduction.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Wheat Loaf posted:

I can't figure out why they can't make Carol work as an A-lister because I feel like she should be a sure thing. Maybe it's the same as Cyborg at DC - I like the characters and I like stories they've been in, but they've never really been main characters when I liked them before; they were always best as part of the team to me.

reader: Marvel maybe try not writing her as a combative rear end in a top hat that puts people in comas?
Marvel: ?!?!?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Reader: Generally, people do not like superheroes that are fascists.
Marvel: But she's the most popular hero in the world.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Waffleman_ posted:

Reader: Generally, people do not like superheroes that are fascists.
Marvel: But she's the most popular hero in the world.

Reader: I think you mean your world, Marvel.
Marvel: !?!?!?

• Locked thread