Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

old.flv posted:

S2 of goliath is just :stare:

I'm enjoying it but it has no connection to S1. It's two completely different shows.

There's a little bit but just totally different villains / case. It starts out good but gets meh towards the end. Whole thing feels more poorly written, not as tight of a story as the 1st. I enjoyed it but the 1st was really good and this ended up being just average TV.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Has Netflix said anything about releasing Annihilation for U.S. viewers? Will they handle that, or is it just going to be released like any other theatre release, via HBO/Amazon/whatever?

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Dr. S.O. Feelgood posted:

I watched The Lobster on Amazon the other day. It was delightful. My favorite scene was probably the aftermath of that woman jumping out the window and just moaning in agony for way too long. The single person/couple reenactments were pretty great too. I think it probably could have been a bit shorter, the second half went on a bit long. But overall I loved it. It’s great when a movie feels like it’s specifically made for me.

How is Alps? I’ve seen Dogtooth and The Killing of a Sacred Deer, but I haven’t heard anything about this one.
Dogtooth>The Killing of a Sacred Deer>The Lobster>>Alps for me but it's been a while since I've seen it.

Also, I never really enjoyed any of the marvel movies besides the first Guardians but Thor: Ragnarok was pretty entertaining. I just watched Hunt for the Wilderpeople on Hulu and What We Do in the Shadows on Amazon is great so I probably just like Taika Waititi. Also they (re?) added In Bruges to Netflix which I definitely recommend.

punch drunk fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Jun 20, 2018

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
yeah I just rewatched In Bruges last night and it's still loving fantastic. On balance I like Three Billboards a bit more but just barely.

edit: I had forgotten how absolutely hilarious Peter Dinklage is in it

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

precision posted:

edit: I had forgotten how absolutely hilarious Peter Dinklage is in it

That's not Peter Dinklage, that's Jordan Prentice

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

oh god now I feel stupider than usual

Sock The Great
Oct 1, 2006

It's Lonely At The Top. But It's Comforting To Look Down Upon Everyone At The Bottom
Grimey Drawer

magnificent7 posted:

Has Netflix said anything about releasing Annihilation for U.S. viewers? Will they handle that, or is it just going to be released like any other theatre release, via HBO/Amazon/whatever?

Netflix only has the international rights to Annihilation. You are just as likely to see it pop up on Prime as you are on Netflix in the US.

I'm also pretty sure Jeff Vandermeer (who wrote the novel the movie is based on) said there are no plans for it to come to Netflix in the US.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

All white people look the same.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Lycus posted:

All white people look the same.

Black midget over here

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

K. Waste posted:

Black midget over here

So all the black dwarves are gonna fight all the white dwarves?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Too late we all know you are racist against dwarfs now. We have a zero tolerance policy on dwarfism.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

veni veni veni posted:

We have a zero tolerance policy on dwarfism.

So you also hate dwarfs?

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

LadyPictureShow posted:

I think it was recently, but the Nic Cage classic Bad Lieutenant Port of Call New Orleans is on Prime now.

Yes, this film is amazing and everyone needs to see it.

TastesBlue
Jan 15, 2008

Sand Monster posted:

Yes, this film is amazing and everyone needs to see it.

I had a wisdom tooth pulled today and this film really is something...

Turambar
Feb 20, 2001

A Túrin Turambar turun ambartanen
Grimey Drawer

LadyPictureShow posted:

I think it was recently, but the Nic Cage classic Bad Lieutenant Port of Call New Orleans is on Prime now.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Anyone recommend any good British detective shows? I've watched Luther, Vexed, Sherlock, and Broadchurch. Tried to get into Marcella but it didn't grab me. Also have Bosch and Longmire on my watch list, though those arent British.

10 Beers fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jun 22, 2018

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004

10 Beers posted:

Anyone recommend any good British detective shows? I've watched Luther, Vexed, Sherlock, and Broadchurch. Tried to get into Marcella but it didn't grab me. Also have Bosch and Longhorn on my watch list, though those arent British.

The Fall is fantastic.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

10 Beers posted:

Anyone recommend any good British detective shows? I've watched Luther, Vexed, Sherlock, and Broadchurch. Tried to get into Marcella but it didn't grab me. Also have Bosch and Longhorn on my watch list, though those arent British.

Seconding The Fall.

Also, watch Bosch asap

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

That Works posted:

Seconding The Fall.

Also, watch Bosch asap

After I finished Longmire and Bosch, someone here recommended Justified (Amazon Prime) and after watching it, I highly recommend it too.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Mammal Sauce posted:

After I finished Longmire and Bosch, someone here recommended Justified (Amazon Prime) and after watching it, I highly recommend it too.

Hell yeah.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Detectorists is technically a British detective show

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

10 Beers posted:

Anyone recommend any good British detective shows? I've watched Luther, Vexed, Sherlock, and Broadchurch. Tried to get into Marcella but it didn't grab me. Also have Bosch and Longmire on my watch list, though those arent British.

Inspector Morse
A touch of Frost
Happy Valley

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I had this as the background on my flip phone when I was in high school. This movie is a treasure.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

10 Beers posted:

Hard Sun is totally bugfuck and not really a great show but it’s pretty fun.

Speaking of “bugfuck and not great”, I half watched the new transformers movie on Hulu yesterday, and it is so bad but if you have it on in the background and only really pay attention when you hear Anthony Hopkins or explosions it’s fun.

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Started watching Bosch and holy poo poo, it's great!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

ElMudo posted:

So you also hate dwarfs?

I was tryin to make a dumb joke

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Fall is great if you stop after season 2. Hell maybe stop after season 1 really.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

10 Beers posted:

Started watching Bosch and holy poo poo, it's great!

It’s very much a show that doesn’t stand out as “oh, I need to watch this”, because it looks like (and, to an extent, is) a generic detective show. The thing is that the execution is basically flawless.

Mr Shiny Pants
Nov 12, 2012

Ugly In The Morning posted:

It’s very much a show that doesn’t stand out as “oh, I need to watch this”, because it looks like (and, to an extent, is) a generic detective show. The thing is that the execution is basically flawless.

Titus is a cool dude, I took awhile for me to not see J Edgar as the guy from the wire though.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

I tried watching this thinking it would be good bad... but it was just bad bad and I couldnt finish it.

married but discreet
May 7, 2005

Taco Defender
It's actually good good.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

10 Beers posted:

The original Prime Suspect with Helen Mirren.

It's on Hulu now. I might just consider subscribing just to be able to watch it again.

https://www.justwatch.com/us/tv-show/prime-suspect

Actually some of it appears to be on YouTube, you can at least check out S1E1 and see if it's for you (it is!):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnEPNmL8VGo

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 22, 2018

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXNfHb9b6Y0

Anyone who says Port of Call is a bad movie has never watched this Oscar worthy scene.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
The problem with watching movies ironically is that you end up priming yourself to dislike things that are actually good but just weird and unconventional.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

What

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy
Werner Herzog loving owns

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

married but discreet posted:

It's actually good good.

Then why did I feel actual physical pain before realizing I could just turn it off?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
Probably because you have bad taste.

FrankeeFrankFrank
Apr 21, 2005

Say word son.

K. Waste posted:

Probably because you have bad taste.

This is most likely very true.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

The show from 1961, I’ve Got A Secret is on Prime. It’s one of those ‘panel tries to guess a contestant’s secret’ shows.

It’s ridiculous, wholly for the rampant misogyny, casual racism, and 60s ads.

‘Did you win an award for something like baking, or making an outfit like something a woman would do?’
‘No.’
‘Of course, nothing frivolous like that.’

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Jun 23, 2018