Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

If you want dumb video game plots I have like hundreds or maybe thousands of alternatives for you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

Oxxidation posted:

that post was dumb as all hell but Lonesome Road definitely wanted us to believe Ulysses had a point and definitely wasn't well-written enough to make that pass muster

It was like they wanted you to feel guilty of your actions, except he was blaming you for something that happened before the game started and you in no way were responsible for anyway.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

CitizenKain posted:

It was like they wanted you to feel guilty of your actions, except he was blaming you for something that happened before the game started and you in no way were responsible for anyway.

Bethesda making games about white guilt now

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Oxxidation posted:

that post was dumb as all hell but Lonesome Road definitely wanted us to believe Ulysses had a point and definitely wasn't well-written enough to make that pass muster

Ulysses came off as so unhinged that I thought he was deliberately written that way, especially given that he was a Legion supporter. i'm just a goddamn mailman, you don't blame the mailman for bringing you bills. if you wanna blame someone blame whoever sent the trigger to those bombs

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Avellone more like Avellong! As in, his writing is too ponderous and wordy! As in I'm sick of reading it!

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.

ilmucche posted:

Bethesda making games about white guilt now

Obsidian made New Vegas.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Schubalts posted:

Obsidian made New Vegas.

Same joke, different people.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Slime posted:

Ulysses came off as so unhinged that I thought he was deliberately written that way, especially given that he was a Legion supporter. i'm just a goddamn mailman, you don't blame the mailman for bringing you bills. if you wanna blame someone blame whoever sent the trigger to those bombs

Yeah I honestly thought he was going for a subversion of your expectations for an Avellone character by building up this mysterious one-step-ahead dark mirror to the player and having him just turn out to be a gibbering lunatic

In general I get it, he uses the same tropes too much and posts on a forum you don't like, but it doesn't make him a bad writer lol

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Oxxidation posted:

That poster is dumb as hell.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ulysses was originally going to be a companion in the base game, but got cut for time/resources (fairly early, I think, but Avellone had already committed a lot of effort to him, much like he did Grieving Mother and Durance in Pillars of Eternity), and then Avellone retooled him for Lonesome Road. It's possible if he'd been in the game as planned from the outset, that would have changed how he comes across quite a bit.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

marshmallow creep posted:

Ulysses was originally going to be a companion in the base game, but got cut for time/resources (fairly early, I think, but Avellone had already committed a lot of effort to him, much like he did Grieving Mother and Durance in Pillars of Eternity), and then Avellone retooled him for Lonesome Road. It's possible if he'd been in the game as planned from the outset, that would have changed how he comes across quite a bit.

If he was a Legion friendly companion I'd have just executed him on principle anyway so I don't think the game lost anything by not having him as one.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Just finished playing Ori & The Blind Forest DE, and I gotta say, I'm very disappointed. It gets very high acclaim, but I felt the controls were too annoyingly floaty, which made all the escape sequences put in lieu of boss fights really exasperating to go through. It was also surprisingly unforgiving, with multiple points where falling to the wrong spot won't out-right kill you, but you may as well wait to die/exit to main menu and reload the game.

IMO if instead of escape sequences you had puzzly boss fights the game would have been much improved, but as is it just didn't live at all to my original expectations gameplay-wise. Looked very pretty though!

Twitch
Apr 15, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Into the Breach shows that Chris Avellone is capable of doing a good job with very few words, too. He just does most of his work in overly-wordy genres.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Just finished playing Ori & The Blind Forest DE, and I gotta say, I'm very disappointed. It gets very high acclaim, but I felt the controls were too annoyingly floaty, which made all the escape sequences put in lieu of boss fights really exasperating to go through. It was also surprisingly unforgiving, with multiple points where falling to the wrong spot won't out-right kill you, but you may as well wait to die/exit to main menu and reload the game.

IMO if instead of escape sequences you had puzzly boss fights the game would have been much improved, but as is it just didn't live at all to my original expectations gameplay-wise. Looked very pretty though!

Yeah, I gave up on that game partway through because I was sick of the escape sequences. Oddly enough, that's also when I quit Samus Returns.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

The escape sequences are definitely the worst part of the game but I think they're merely okay. They feel longer than they actually are because they don't checkpoint em.

Twitch posted:

Into the Breach shows that Chris Avellone is capable of doing a good job with very few words, too. He just does most of his work in overly-wordy genres.

He also did work on FTL which I don't think was that wordy of a game.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Slime posted:

he was deliberately written that way, that's why you can talk him down

avellone likes writing people broken but convinced that the trauma that broke them made them see some ultimate truth. he also likes giving players the option to eventually talk them down and realize they were wrong

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Oxxidation posted:

I thought the point was that Ulysses was a legit crazy person who put you on a pedestal as part of his delusional belief in a Just World. poo poo happens and he just couldn't let that be the end of it, so he found someone to blame and blamed the everloving gently caress out of them (you).

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich

Aleph Null posted:

I thought the point was that Ulysses was a legit crazy person who put you on a pedestal as part of his delusional belief in a Just World. poo poo happens and he just couldn't let that be the end of it, so he found someone to blame and blamed the everloving gently caress out of them (you).

This is exactly it. You can even flippantly dismiss him on that basis. Can't talk him down that way, but he isn't presented as correct.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

lol just lol if you didn't join forces with him and defend your new nukes which you then turn on the NCR and the legion

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Avellone’s writing sticks out like a sore thumb in Pillars of Eternity because it’s noticeably worse than everything around it to an absurd degree.

TheShrike
Oct 30, 2010

You mechs may have copper wiring to re-route your fear of pain, but I've got nerves of steel.

Chuck Buried Treasure posted:

Avellone’s writing sticks out like a sore thumb in Pillars of Eternity because it’s noticeably worse than everything around it to an absurd degree.

Let's not forget the backer NPC's

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Kontradaz posted:

Let's not forget the backer NPC's

You've got me there, I wasn't thinking about them because I learned really quickly to pretend that they didn't exist.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

durance is the best written character in the game

ro5s
Dec 27, 2012

A happy little mouse!

You've got me there, I wasn't thinking about them because I learned really quickly to pretend that they didn't exist.

There were a few that were ok, you'd get significant but mundane memories like the first time they met their wife or whatever that could be pretty :3:

But for each of those there were 20 "nothing personal kid" *teleports behind the assassins and kills them with my katana +6*

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
The sad part was how many people were okay with giving away their ORIGINAL CHARACTERS DON'T STEAL.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
Games that don't have a projection arc for grenades and stuff. "No, dumbass, throw it THROUGH the window at the guards. Not at the wall 3 feet in front of me"

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

BiggerBoat posted:

Games that don't have a projection arc for grenades and stuff. "No, dumbass, throw it THROUGH the window at the guards. Not at the wall 3 feet in front of me"

State of Decay 2 has this problem. Grenades are just another consumable, which are used by tapping RB, and so there's no mechanism for lining up your shot, and sometimes the geometry just...isn't quite what you think it is, and suddenly you've firebombed your own ankles.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
The Rainbow Six Las Vegas games were awful about that. No arc, and the only way to throw grenades was a weak underhand toss.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

BiggerBoat posted:

I don't like it when the grenades do arc, but you don't get an aiming line for them. Just show me if I can lob it all the way over to that group of assholes or not.

Thin Privilege
Jul 8, 2009
IM A STUPID MORON WITH AN UGLY FACE AND A BIG BUTT AND MY BUTT SMELLS AND I LIKE TO KISS MY OWN BUTT
Gravy Boat 2k
Fallout NV and FO4

In NV I was able to dump all my hoarded items and move them around my awesome crib at the top of the hotel. So I had my Nuka Cola toy trucks and other silly toys on my dresser, a pile of skulls, and my bed was covered in like 500 teddy bears. There was literally the ability to pick up an item to move it and place it the way you wanted. It was wonky and annoying sure, but my apartment was sweet as poo poo.

Why did they take this ability away in FO4?

Erotic Wakes
May 19, 2018

by Lowtax

Leavemywife posted:

I don't like it when the grenades do arc, but you don't get an aiming line for them. Just show me if I can lob it all the way over to that group of assholes or not.

Everybody copied the grenade button from Halo, why couldn't they also copy the clear trajectory arc indicator from Gears of War too?

Wanted By Weed
Aug 14, 2005

Toilet Rascal

FactsAreUseless posted:

Play Monster Hunter World

Taking almost two years to port MHXX to the Switch is another great one.

(mhw is great but I was waiting for a western port before mhw was even announced, better late than never)

Fifty Farts
Dec 23, 2013

- Meticulously Researched
- Peer-reviewed

Thin Privilege posted:

Fallout NV and FO4

In NV I was able to dump all my hoarded items and move them around my awesome crib at the top of the hotel. So I had my Nuka Cola toy trucks and other silly toys on my dresser, a pile of skulls, and my bed was covered in like 500 teddy bears. There was literally the ability to pick up an item to move it and place it the way you wanted. It was wonky and annoying sure, but my apartment was sweet as poo poo.

FO4 has issues, but this isn't one. Go into settlement mode and you can move stuff around like that. Or just hold the "take" button for a few seconds. Nuka World even has some arcade games where you need to throw balls using that mechanic (hold the reload button to toss things for some reason).

It's still a little wonky, but you're playing Bethesda's Fallout 4, so that shouldn't be surprising.

Kruller
Feb 20, 2004

It's time to restore dignity to the Farnsworth name!

Thin Privilege posted:

Fallout NV and FO4

It still works, but about as well as it does in Skyrim. You can drag anything around by holding the pick up button instead of just tapping it, but good fuckin luck getting it positioned correctly. God help you if you overlap a little and leave the room.

Safeword
Jun 1, 2018

by R. Dieovich
Why does Black Ops 3 give you a customisable protagonist, customisable guns, and the perfect avenue for magical not-magic abilities, then have the coop be basic zombies and normal guns.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

theres a fallout 4 mod called OCDecorator that allows you to position items into the environment then toggle a switch to set them as static so flies and wind and looking at stuff the wrong way doesnt cause it to go flying from the table or bed or wherever you put it. also precise movement commands can be entered from the console for positioning purposes

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Mario Tennis doesn't have local coop tournaments against the AI. C'mon son.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Wanted By Weed posted:

Taking almost two years to port MHXX to the Switch is another great one.

(mhw is great but I was waiting for a western port before mhw was even announced, better late than never)

I definitely would have played Monster Hunter Dirty Double Cross a year or two ago but now that I've been spoiled by world I just don't know. It would feel like going back to 2nd gen after playing MH4.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

The Moon Monster posted:

I definitely would have played Monster Hunter Dirty Double Cross a year or two ago but now that I've been spoiled by world I just don't know. It would feel like going back to 2nd gen after playing MH4.

Have fun having to cancel your hunts to get more resources, eat again, change gear, go for more paintballs

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Calaveron posted:

Have fun having to cancel your hunts to get more resources, eat again, change gear, go for more paintballs

Yeah I had a blast with 4 and generations but I don't think I'll ever go back now. I was talking to my friend's husband and he was like "Monster Hunter World isn't coming to Switch so it's poo poo I'll just get XX" and I just couldn't get him to understand how wrong he was.

loving little troll with horrible opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Have fun stopping dead on your tracks to play a three second foraging animation to get only one of a resource