Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Epicurius posted:

Kirk is a bookworm who plays chess, taught philosophy at the academy, reads Spinoza for fun, and figured out how to hack the Kobyashi Maru simulator so he wouldn't fail it. No idea how anybody can think he's not smart.

Actually it sounds like you don't know much about Star Trek because Captain Kirk is a rebel and a bad boy who likes fast cars and getting drunk and having sex with green women. hope this helsp

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

TV was different in those days. Screens were very small and they really wanted to make the colors pop, yet they also had to account for the fact a large portion of the audience still had black-and-white TVs. As you can see, this sometimes led to some questionable makeup decisions.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
Bones is a hussy

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Epicurius posted:

Kirk is a bookworm who plays chess, taught philosophy at the academy, reads Spinoza for fun, and figured out how to hack the Kobyashi Maru simulator so he wouldn't fail it. No idea how anybody can think he's not smart.

I’ve watched all the Start Trucks and didn’t know half of this.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I may be late to the party but can I hate on John Eaves too?

gently caress him and gently caress his book.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

gently caress John Eaves, always and forever.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Kaysette posted:

I’ve watched all the Start Trucks and didn’t know half of this.

Hell don’t feel bad, you don’t even need to know half that poo poo to MAKE a Star Trek.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

who the heck is John Eaves

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Nodosaur posted:

who the heck is John Eaves

A door to door knife salesman

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Big Mean Jerk posted:

A door to door knife salesman

:drat:

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Timby posted:

This is why I always get irrationally angry at people who insist that Kirk should have died on the blazing bridge of the Enterprise while battling Klingons or some poo poo. It displays a fundamental misunderstanding of the character.

Eh, I still think that if they had a mandate in Generations to kill both Kirk and the D, both of them going out with him in the chair riding it solo to its destruction would've been the best way.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
I'm more upset at how the E-D went down than Kirk to be honest. The Federation flagship gets absolutely wrecked by some twenty year old Klingon hooptie? Who cares if they got the shield frequencies? Just target torpedoes and hold down the fire button until it's space dust.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BrandonGK posted:

I'm more upset at how the E-D went down than Kirk to be honest. The Federation flagship gets absolutely wrecked by some twenty year old Klingon hooptie? Who cares if they got the shield frequencies? Just target torpedoes and hold down the fire button until it's space dust.

Probably a victim of those bad guns being changed to Klingons at the last second. There's been persistent rumors that they were meant to be Romulans (remember the dead Romulans on the observatory at the beginning that are never brought up again?) and the E-D would have gone out finally fighting a D'Deridex warbird. They were changed because they already had the bird of prey model and visual effects on file so that would be much cheaper than doing an epic space battle with a giant warship that's never been seen in combat before.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

They would've had to redo the Warbird model too, it was TV-grade, whereas the BoP was always movie-grade.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

skasion posted:

Actually it sounds like you don't know much about Star Trek because Captain Kirk is a rebel and a bad boy who likes fast cars and getting drunk and having sex with green women. hope this helsp

I don't see how he can't be both. He does break rules the rules, if it'll help him, he's adventurous enough to probably like the fast cars, he's not exactly sober, and he's chased plenty of dames Also I think he wanted to gently caress a mountain?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

BrandonGK posted:

Counterpoint, think of all the Federation starships that have succumbed to far less. The Yamato blew up and lost all hands due to the modern day equivalent of picking up a USB drive in the parking lot and plugging it into your computer.

It's not safe out here. It's wondrous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross. But it's not for the timid.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Much like all sci-fi Trek ships are as tough as the plot wants them to be. DS9 has the Odyssey hold out against 3 dominion ships that were explicitly penetrating their shields with every shot and even hit a nacelle on the first attack, which is almost always a death sentence for any other Trek ship. They were only destroyed because they got rammed. Then in the big battles and the war itself I guess every ship forgot to turn on their shields and packed their ships with explosives because they’re blowing up with single shots all the time.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.
I will say that Picard seems oddly chill about the whole thing. "Eh, don't worry about it, Will. Insurance should cover it and I was planning to trade it in anyway."

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SQU86x3TCgQ

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

BrandonGK posted:

I will say that Picard seems oddly chill about the whole thing. "Eh, don't worry about it, Will. Insurance should cover it and I was planning to trade it in anyway."

It's just a ship, they can always build another one. Just look at Sisko, the Defiant gets blown up by the Breen and he just gets Starfleet to rename another ship the Defiant and assign it to him.

If anything, Kirk seems to be the odd one out among the captains for being so passionately attached to his ship. Sisko gets another ship of the same class right off the assembly line without missing a beat, Picard trades in for a better model.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cythereal posted:

It's just a ship, they can always build another one. Just look at Sisko, the Defiant gets blown up by the Breen and he just gets Starfleet to rename another ship the Defiant and assign it to him.

If anything, Kirk seems to be the odd one out among the captains for being so passionately attached to his ship. Sisko gets another ship of the same class right off the assembly line without missing a beat, Picard trades in for a better model.

And in an age of replicators, the Sisko/Picard mentality makes far more sense.

The whole point of being a post-scarcity society is that you don't have to get weirdly attached to material things anymore. I mean, not to be a total goon here, I get having sentimental value for something like Sisko's baseball, but attachment to a ship seems irrational, be attached to her crew and the memories you had, the ship itself is just bulkheads.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Cythereal posted:

Yeah but the carpet was all wrong

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)

Tsaedje posted:

Yeah but the carpet was all wrong

176 episodes, still my favorite Bashir moment.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Alright time for video spam, someone made clips of her favorite Kirk fight moves and they are also my favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NyFC2DKWJM The Kirk Chop

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPuOMDpiNtM The Kirk Drop Kick

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LSHCNTELFI8 The Wall of Destruction

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyxCLlARP_w The Human Projectile

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2pighpPCNPU Bowling for Bad Guys, ft. redshirt yeoman kicking rear end

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Holy poo poo lmao

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Timely, Engadget has a write-up today about Babylon 5 picture quality.

https://www.engadget.com/2018/06/22/babylon-5-digital-video-quality/

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

BrandonGK posted:

Well, he did just rip himself away from eternal bliss and immortality to save billions of lives and watched a larger-than-life legend die unceremoniously doing the same. I'd say he's probably coming to terms with impermanence at that point.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Kibayasu posted:

Much like all sci-fi Trek ships are as tough as the plot wants them to be. DS9 has the Odyssey hold out against 3 dominion ships that were explicitly penetrating their shields with every shot and even hit a nacelle on the first attack, which is almost always a death sentence for any other Trek ship. They were only destroyed because they got rammed. Then in the big battles and the war itself I guess every ship forgot to turn on their shields and packed their ships with explosives because they’re blowing up with single shots all the time.

My favorite joke was that someone forgot to mention to the special effects guys that the shields were working again.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

My favorite joke was that someone forgot to mention to the special effects guys that the shields were working again.

Speaking of shields, it's wild that Generations was the first time we actually saw them in a movie.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You see them in ST:VI. It's just that prior to TNG, shields were depicted as skin tight rather than a bubble.

When the Enterprise-A is taking torpedo hit after torpedo hit, the way the energy is dispersed is showing the shields. They can't fully mitigate the energy, so the hull takes scarring.

It's only after the shields fail that a torpedo punches straight through the hull.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
That all said, my bigger complaint wasn't so much with ships getting instantly popped left and right (even as far as the battle composition goes, that's not my biggest gripe) as it was with the interior shots showing the ship constantly shaking and lighting off a whole fireworks stand every time the ship took a hit, no matter how glancing it was. Save the rattling for when the ship actually takes a hit, and save the pyrotechnics for when the ship's actually getting the stuffing beat out of it.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

That all said, my bigger complaint wasn't so much with ships getting instantly popped left and right (even as far as the battle composition goes, that's not my biggest gripe) as it was with the interior shots showing the ship constantly shaking and lighting off a whole fireworks stand every time the ship took a hit, no matter how glancing it was. Save the rattling for when the ship actually takes a hit, and save the pyrotechnics for when the ship's actually getting the stuffing beat out of it.

Next you'll say they don't need to have rocks inside the consoles.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep

Sash! posted:

I don't see how he can't be both. He does break rules the rules, if it'll help him, he's adventurous enough to probably like the fast cars, he's not exactly sober, and he's chased plenty of dames Also I think he wanted to gently caress a mountain?

Listen if you're going to insist on a multifaceted and dynamic character instead of a 2d cardboard cutout that creates only shallow connections then you can just get outta the tv industry

Trickjaw
Jun 23, 2005
Nadie puede dar lo que no tiene

HIJK posted:

Listen if you're going to insist on a multifaceted and dynamic character instead of a 2d cardboard cutout that creates only shallow connections then you can just get outta the tv industry

Have you ever met good friend of this thread, Elim Garak?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Cythereal posted:

Probably a victim of those bad guns being changed to Klingons at the last second. There's been persistent rumors that they were meant to be Romulans (remember the dead Romulans on the observatory at the beginning that are never brought up again?) and the E-D would have gone out finally fighting a D'Deridex warbird. They were changed because they already had the bird of prey model and visual effects on file so that would be much cheaper than doing an epic space battle with a giant warship that's never been seen in combat before.

Yeah that money was better spent on uniforms they never used and a sailboat rental

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Cythereal posted:

The gently caress. mods????

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

bull3964 posted:

You see them in ST:VI.

Don't forget the shields taking V'ger's shot in TMP.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Jun 23, 2018

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
TMP had loving seat belts and head rests that would activate on Red Alert. Not to mention that amazing paint job of the refit.

A lot of people don't give TMP credit due to the slow pacing and the redic costumes. Like when Kirk addresses the crew they are legit multicultural and multiracial-- I think there is like a turban, sari, and Native American head dress in the single shot of the crew.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Jun 23, 2018

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

DrNutt posted:

The gently caress. mods????

lol it's even consistent with the actor's love life

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah that money was better spent on uniforms they never used and a sailboat rental

You mean the uniforms that they didn't even bother to make-- ie: Riker wearing Sisko's one?

At least the set lighting of Generations was cool. That's about it.