Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

bEatmstrJ posted:

There isn't a lot of motivation to post pictures of something pretty much everyone universally agreed was a poo poo design. I'd only be asking for more ridicule and I'm pretty sure I've had enough of that. I'm happy with how it turned out. That's all that matters I think.

Besides the pictures of the bathroom, there are those of us who want to see the joist repair.

Also take your loving lumps man you said and did some dingus things. I'm not saying you should roll with the punches necessarily, but you'll do a lot better if you let poo poo slough off your shoulder and admit you were a dingus rather than dig your heels in and double down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

Tile is the devil in a kitchen. If you cook on the regular, you will never get the grout clean. And for the love of god, just buy a cutting board. Several in fact. Don't cut veggies on the same cutting board you use for raw poultry.

Also, bEatmstrJ, post the bathroom.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

drgitlin posted:

Steel, or surplus laboratory bench top.

I dream of a Trespa countertop kitchen.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

New interior decoration tumblr. Pros- more rooms I like, Cons- not being run by the brightest crayon in the box

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan
The person running out could easily have been born after 9/11

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I thought there was a toilet at the bottom of those stairs for a second and was very confused.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

Hutzpah posted:

Peanut, as someone that constantly lurks in this thread and the housing thread, I want to thank you for your constant japan-posting. It's not often that I look outside american-centric design trends and it's interesting to hear what's going on halfway across the world.

:peanut: Thanks, friend! I moved around a lot in the US, and have moved around plenty here, too. I definitely have Opinions on style vs function :spergin:

I wish I could brag about restoring a 300 yo Japanese farm house but I'm pretty content with my suburban life, lol.

peanut fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Jun 21, 2018

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!
Re: countertops, we installed soapstone in our kitchen 2 years ago and it’s the loving best. Doesn’t get stained by pomegranate juice or whatever, doesn’t need to be sealed, hot pans can go right on it, looks fuckin great. People say it chips easily compared to other stone but I dunno wtf they’re doing if that’s the case. I’ve dropped quite a few things of various weights on it (I cook a lot and have limited mobility/grip in my right hand) and the stone is pristine. I did put a couple decent scratches in it with my bigass rough-bottomed mortar and pestle (I later added felt to the bottom), but they buffed out with some fine sandpaper. The soapstone cost more than the rest of my kitchen reno combined, but it was totally worth it.

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

peanut posted:

I wish I could brag about restoring a 300 yo Japanese farm house but I'm pretty content with my suburban life, lol.

Please do!! Especially if there are pictures, oh my god.

edit: I missed the "I wish". Oh well.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

It's a 2-year-old regular house, but you're welcome to read all about it in the Home Spergin' thread. https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3770037&pagenumber=1

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

drgitlin posted:

surplus laboratory bench top.

I’m in a bio lab and never thought of that. Bloody brilliant idea, to be honest. People would come in and be all like “is that dark concrete?” And then I would just pour some ethanol on it and set it on fire and grin.

If that’s yours, I dig the paint job on the table. I have an old IKEA table I’ve been thinking of doing something similar to. I spray painted the end pieces of an IVAR shelving unit a soft green a few years ago and it’s held up quite well and adds a nice touch of color to an otherwise white kitchen.

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Antivehicular posted:

I thought there was a toilet at the bottom of those stairs for a second and was very confused.

What, you don't have a Pittsburgh Potty?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

What material is used in labs?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Jaded Burnout posted:

Fur and stuff.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Electric Bugaloo posted:

I have an old IKEA table I’ve been thinking of doing something similar to. I spray painted the end pieces of an IVAR shelving unit a soft green a few years ago and it’s held up quite well and adds a nice touch of color to an otherwise white kitchen.
Don't skip sanding first (to give it a rough surface for more durable adhesion) and it should come out well!

Moist von Lipwig
Oct 28, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Tortured By Flan

Jaded Burnout posted:

Depends on the type of lab but you'll see either stainless steel or phenolic resin (a composite made of craft paper and resin bonded under ultra high pressure).

The really fancy places use full epoxy resin tops because it's continiously heat resistant to almost 200c but it costs a fortune and not many labs require that kind of spec unless you're throwing azides around like some kind of madman.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Older lab tops can contain asbestos (fibers if composite, mastics if soapstone). Something to consider if cutting is needed.

Ebola Dog
Apr 3, 2011

Dinosaurs are directly related to turtles!
You can also get even older lab tops made out of nice old wood like teak if you are lucky.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

Don't skip sanding first (to give it a rough surface for more durable adhesion) and it should come out well!

Yeah, I’ve made the mistake of spraying on top of an existing finish before. The IVAR didn’t really need any sanding since the unfinished pine soaked the paint up like a sponge.

Ebola Dog posted:

You can also get even older lab tops made out of nice old wood like teak if you are lucky.

I don’t know if I could do that. I feel like I’d worry about decades’ worth of PFA and ethidium and animal blood soaked into the wood “seasoning” my food.

trilobite terror fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Jun 21, 2018

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

My school labs were solid wood and we spilled a lot of mercury on those, so, yeah.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

Melicious posted:

Re: countertops, we installed soapstone in our kitchen 2 years ago and it’s the loving best. Doesn’t get stained by pomegranate juice or whatever, doesn’t need to be sealed, hot pans can go right on it, looks fuckin great. People say it chips easily compared to other stone but I dunno wtf they’re doing if that’s the case. I’ve dropped quite a few things of various weights on it (I cook a lot and have limited mobility/grip in my right hand) and the stone is pristine. I did put a couple decent scratches in it with my bigass rough-bottomed mortar and pestle (I later added felt to the bottom), but they buffed out with some fine sandpaper. The soapstone cost more than the rest of my kitchen reno combined, but it was totally worth it.

I know a guy who installed soapstone TWENTY years ago and he says it gets to be quite annoying and needs a big, messy reseal every 4 years or so.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I don't like dark or veiny stone so, not the stone for me

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

I don't like dark or veiny stone so, not the stone for me

.....dark and veiny....:allears:

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Electric Bugaloo posted:

.....dark and veiny....:allears:

I prefer thick wood.

Melicious
Nov 18, 2005
Ugh, stop licking my hand, you horse's ass!

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

I know a guy who installed soapstone TWENTY years ago and he says it gets to be quite annoying and needs a big, messy reseal every 4 years or so.

I mean, he’s doing something stupid or it’s got high talc content or something because soapstone doesn’t need sealing, it’s totally non-porous. Ours have literally nothing on them, though some folks like to oil theirs to make ‘em shiny and dark. It’s just cosmetic, though. Anyone selling soapstone sealant might as well label it snake oil.

Regarding lab tables, every one I’ve ever seen was made of soapstone. My next door neighbor is a chemistry prof and she also confirms it’s what’s in her lab. That’s one of the reasons I chose it for my kitchen- if that poo poo can withstand teenagers dicking around with chemicals, it’s good enough for my food prep.

Ours doesn’t have veins, but it’s definitely dark, which isn’t everyone’s taste. I get it.

Melicious fucked around with this message at 00:03 on Jun 22, 2018

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Jaded Burnout posted:

How do we feel about kitchen counters? Wood? Stone? Steel? Mix?

Proper butcher block or stainless are the best, although not always the best looking.

Stone's fine as long as it's non-porous low maintenance stuff.

Anyone who installs tile on a kitchen counter should be defenestrated.

Jaded Burnout posted:

Presumably stone (and stonelike crystals) and steel both have the downside that you can't chop directly on it without effing up your blade?

Nah, you don't want to chop directly on a wood counter either. It'll eventually scar up and mean you have to sand/refinish that part. Cutting boards are cheap, disposable, and mean you can change out your cutting surface to avoid cross contamination. Use 'em.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Jun 22, 2018

vonnegutt
Aug 7, 2006
Hobocamp.

Liquid Communism posted:

Nah, you don't want to chop directly on a wood counter either. It'll eventually scar up and mean you have to sand/refinish that part. Cutting boards are cheap, disposable, and mean you can change out your cutting surface to avoid cross contamination. Use 'em.

We don't debone chickens or anything on our butcher block countertops but it's really nice not having to pull out a cutting board to cut a sandwich in half. We wipe them down every time we do the dishes and oil them every couple of weeks and they look great.

Rotten Cookies
Nov 11, 2008

gosh! i like both the islanders and the rangers!!! :^)

Tiled kitchen counter seems like the worst loving thing. Unless.....

Anyone ever seen a carpeted kitchen counter? Goes from the carpeted kitchen floor, wraps up the wall and onto the counter? Someone has to have made this egregious monstrosity.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Rotten Cookies posted:

Anyone ever seen a carpeted kitchen counter? Goes from the carpeted kitchen floor, wraps up the wall and onto the counter? Someone has to have made this egregious monstrosity.

Well, you wouldn't need to worry about dulling your knives if you don't use a cutting board.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Rotten Cookies posted:

Tiled kitchen counter seems like the worst loving thing. Unless.....

I have seen a shag carpet bar before. It had a pane of glass laid on top for drinks to actually go on.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

On the topic of kitchens, I’ve been trying to find an extractor to suit my height and my ceiling height. I then discovered in-ceiling ones which can’t go in my ceiling because it’s already full, but could hang down and take up less space.

THEN I discovered that commercial kitchen extractors are just as good a fit, quieter, more powerful, and cheaper. Sweet.

I’m wondering if the same might be true of cookers since my current plan is an expensive range master, but at first glance it appears to not be the case.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Jaded Burnout posted:

On the topic of kitchens, I’ve been trying to find an extractor to suit my height and my ceiling height. I then discovered in-ceiling ones which can’t go in my ceiling because it’s already full, but could hang down and take up less space.

THEN I discovered that commercial kitchen extractors are just as good a fit, quieter, more powerful, and cheaper. Sweet.

I’m wondering if the same might be true of cookers since my current plan is an expensive range master, but at first glance it appears to not be the case.

I need a link to your commercial extractors because mine is a noisy suggestion rather than an effective mover of air.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
I think we can all agree that an extractor built into a microwave oven just makes both key aspects of its existence worse.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

I need a link to your commercial extractors because mine is a noisy suggestion rather than an effective mover of air.

This is the one I'm looking at. I'm basing the noise and performance purely on the specs, though.

https://www.cs-catering-equipment.co.uk/lincat-sv1216ch-smartvent-extraction-ventilation-canopy

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Jaded Burnout posted:

This is the one I'm looking at. I'm basing the noise and performance purely on the specs, though.

https://www.cs-catering-equipment.co.uk/lincat-sv1216ch-smartvent-extraction-ventilation-canopy

What’s a gas interlock?

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

What’s a gas interlock?

It's a requirement for commercial kitchens in the UK whereby if the ventilation fails it cuts off the gas supply to your cooking equipment.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah, cool. Thanks!

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Jaded Burnout posted:

Okay no that's more than I'll budget to replace all the appliances I currently have. I'll settle for wedging a massive fan in the current housing.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

cakesmith handyman posted:

Okay no that's more than I'll budget to replace all the appliances I currently have. I'll settle for wedging a massive fan in the current housing.

Yeah the equivalent ceiling mount non-commercial ones are like 1900 because they're marketed to REALLY fancy fit outs.

https://ao.com/product/lf959re55b-siemens-iq700-integrated-cooker-hood-stainless-steel-41363-6.aspx

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

At that point you may as well buy the internal fan units and baffles from the commercial site and have a local fabricators stainless you up ducting to fit/look how you want.