Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

~*~ maybe both sides are wrong ~*~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

McTimmy posted:

It was simply retconned to have always been Stormwind despite, well...

It was officially changed in the Tides of War novel but in WoW proper prior it was actually murky since everyone always refereed to the nations by their Capital City. So it slowly "grew" into Stormwind because everyone always said, in example, "Stormwind must know!" in the same vein as "Ironforge must know!" and "Thunder Bluff must know!".

Part of it was also the fact that "Azeroth" was originally the name of the country, but Blizzard ended up using it as the name of the planet, instead. And they didn't want to have the country and the planet share the name.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Cythereal posted:

Meanwhile, over in WoW land we learned today that Blizzard has decided gently caress trying to tell a coherent narrative, here's the Alliance and Horde straight up seeing wildly different versions of the same general events precisely calibrated to make whichever side you're playing as look like the good guys and the other faction look like the bad guys with nary a care given to reconcile things like the Horde dropping carpet-bombing with chemical weapons and rounding up civilians and executing them en masse in the Alliance version and the Horde taking great pains to not harm civilians and only attack those who attacked them first in the Horde version, and these are supposed to depict the same battle.

Christ, I give up trying to care about Warcraft's story.

Isn't that just returning to wc2 style narrative?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

BlazetheInferno posted:

Part of it was also the fact that "Azeroth" was originally the name of the country, but Blizzard ended up using it as the name of the planet, instead. And they didn't want to have the country and the planet share the name.

You mean the Kingdom of Azeroth on the continent of Azeroth on the planet of Azeroth hosting the soul of Azeroth wasn't straight forward and clear?

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Cythereal posted:

Blizzard, you did this to Cythereal. Cythereal! Do you know how much this person has invested into Warcraft lore and story?!

drat, BFA must be loving up hard. I have a friend out here who's telling me stuff from the beta and it all sounds pretty stupid. Blizz, all you need to do is hop on the forums, PM me a message reading "Oh, god, please help," and I'll sort this whole problem out. Here's my pitch: All the same stuff you're doing except that someone who gives a drat will be at the helm and willing to put in more effort than they're showing.

Also, I demand that everything I wrote is now canon including the part about everyone watching the movie.

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

lobster22221 posted:

Isn't that just returning to wc2 style narrative?

then they're gonna have to tell half their playerbase "actually everything you saw this expansion didn't happen. play an alt if you want to know how it really went"

which seems, uh, unwise.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cythereal posted:

Meanwhile, over in WoW land we learned today that Blizzard has decided gently caress trying to tell a coherent narrative, here's the Alliance and Horde straight up seeing wildly different versions of the same general events precisely calibrated to make whichever side you're playing as look like the good guys and the other faction look like the bad guys with nary a care given to reconcile things like the Horde dropping carpet-bombing with chemical weapons and rounding up civilians and executing them en masse in the Alliance version and the Horde taking great pains to not harm civilians and only attack those who attacked them first in the Horde version, and these are supposed to depict the same battle.

the old gods have successfully driven us insane

i hope this is the explanation, that would amuse me

Donkringel
Apr 22, 2008

McTimmy posted:

You mean the Kingdom of Azeroth on the continent of Azeroth on the planet of Azeroth hosting the soul of Azeroth wasn't straight forward and clear?

It's Azeroths all the way down!

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
The latest batch of BFA isn't even remotely egregious as the Yrel nonsense which was so outrageously bad I seriously did think of cancelling my preorder over it.

And I didn't even play the expansion she was in it was that bad.

lobster22221
Jul 11, 2017

Prav posted:

then they're gonna have to tell half their playerbase "actually everything you saw this expansion didn't happen. play an alt if you want to know how it really went"

which seems, uh, unwise.

If they are going to do that, might as well piss off the entire fanbase by going "Actually everything you saw this expansion didn't happen. play an alt if you want to know how it really went" to both horde AND alliance.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

To explain: the PTR currently has one of the two signature events that kicks off the expansion available for testing.

The problem is that as far as we are currently aware, the portrayal of the event on each faction is totally incompatible with the other. Namely, in the Horde version of it, they take great pains to conduct themselves honorably as they carve a path through Alliance territory... While in the Alliance version, the Horde is portrayed committing actual war crimes, like gathering up the civilians of a town and slaughtering them.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
If it were me writing this crud, I’d at some point expose a third faction using illusions and gaslighting to stir up and embolden the Alliance and Horde against one another. But I doubt Blizzard has that in mind.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Unless the third faction is... corrupted... and serves the old gods. A whole new old god that hasn't been mentioned before but several npcs will know exactly who it is and players must repeatably run through the same dungeons over and over until they have gear with enough +stats to do yet another dungeon raid killing the terrible old god on a weekly basis.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
I was very pro Old Gods back when you semi-discover them in WC3 (future spoilers!) and even more when Vanilla AQ was announced. Hell, I'm a huge Lovecraft fan (y'know with the exception of all his horribly, horribly racist beliefs). But at this point, I want to tear my hair out whenever I hear "Old Gods" because it's...

1) Ridiculously overdone at this point.
2) Upsetting to constantly have enemies that just manipulate all the evil in the world, leaving very few antagonists to have any other motivation beyond "BUT MY BRAIN WAS ALL OLD GOD'ED UP!"
3) ACTUALLY DOES LOVECRAFT ALL FREAKIN' WRONG.

I mean, I get it, the Old Gods at this point are their own thing, but jeez... These massive entities that live between stars which possess alien minds and unfathomable power with no goals that could be understood by the mortal psyche, that's cool. Being that, but also having a physical goopy form and just constantly losing to a bunch of upstart mortals? Ugh.

I've got not idea what any of the BFA stuff is, but I know this: They want Alliance and Horde unified fighting again. I've heard tell that this includes essentially making Eastern Kingdoms the "Alliance continent" and Kalimdor the "Horde continent." That means that Teladrassil has to get all sorts of hosed up and so does the Undercity. Here's my proposal to Blizzard (who, god, if they are reading this thread, seriously something has gone wrong because you could spend your time in much better ways). These are the uniformed thoughts of someone who stopped playing after BC, but it's weird that I'm hearing all of this stuff second-hand about a game I don't play any longer.
  • We have an attack on the Undercity that appears to be a natural disaster (or what passes for that in a land of wizards and magic and god knows what else)
  • This leads to displaced Forsaken/Horde, who are left looking for a home, and the issue is brought before the Alliance since their capitals are so close.
  • Kul Tiras choses now of all goddamn times to start their poo poo, being isolationists. They've got problems of their own and demand that Alliance lend them aid as well. Seeing the Eastern Kingdoms so torn, the Horde accepts the Forsaken over to Kalimdor (Orgrimmar, Thunder Bluff, what have you)
  • The relocation does not go well as the Forsaken start spreading over in tent cities as their numbers are just too large to be contained in the capital cities.
  • This brings many of the Forsaken/Horde butt up against Night Elven communities which causes small friction.
  • The friction slowly grows as bands of night elf "freedom fighters" start little attacks to get their land back.
  • With the backdrop of this rebellion, the Horde and Alliance leaders work to make strides to mend this rift. But charismatic rebel faction leaders start to gain momentum among the people and attacks from both sides become more daring.
  • Daring enough that major names are taken out. Maybe even some of the more rational minded leaders. Look, man, you gotta George R. R. Martin some times.
  • The whole situation spirals out of control as an attack on Teladrassil is launched and the Horde leaders say nothing, seeing this as a natural progression after the numerous attacks coming from the Alliance (and further spurred on by Kul Tiras).
  • It goes entirely wrong for every side involved and the city ends up burning. (Hey, maybe even some weird reoccurrence of that "natural disaster"? We could foreshadow a new villain for Azeroth!)
  • Now we've got us where we want to be for BFA, we've got Kul Tiras being antagonistic dicks, we've got the set-up for a future villain (you can make it a god drat Old God if you want, but I mean, I've got words to say about that.)

Okay, I also have no idea what the start of the world is now. There's... like, a sword in it? poo poo, man. Blizz get your poo poo together. I'm drunk and just tappin' at a keyboard. You can do this with a small group of writers who aren't phoning it in.

Azzur fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Jun 21, 2018

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

Azzur posted:

Okay, I also have no idea what the start of the world is now. There's... like, a sword in it? poo poo, man. Blizz get your poo poo together. I'm drunk and just tappin' at a keyboard. You can do this with a small group of writers who aren't phoning it in.

Remember how The Titans are giant planet-sized deities unless they choose to take on a smaller form to interact with people or whatever?

Yeah, Sargeras is one of those planet-sized deities. The rest of the Pantheon was finally able to pull themselves together and reign his rear end in and contain him, but he just had to get the last word in before getting contained, and pulled out his fuckhuge sword and stabbed the planet with it just as he was being pulled away. The result is the bigass sword stuck in the planet, and in the pre-expansion events, we're going to be using the Artifact weapons we've been powering up all expansion to contain the corruption in the sword, and stabilize the wound so Azeroth doesn't die.

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

wow lore is driven by entropy. It will never stop getting worse

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
People are blowing things grossly out of proportion based on what a semi-famous lore guy has said while ignoring that nothing in beta is really final (earlier in the beta a Kul Tiras settlement was utterly brutalized by the Horde but in more recent builds it hasn't) and I highly doubt everyone has even played the scenarios themselves to get actual first-hand experience.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

McTimmy posted:

People are blowing things grossly out of proportion based on what a semi-famous lore guy has said while ignoring that nothing in beta is really final (earlier in the beta a Kul Tiras settlement was utterly brutalized by the Horde but in more recent builds it hasn't) and I highly doubt everyone has even played the scenarios themselves to get actual first-hand experience.

McTimmy, don't you take this drama out of my relatively stress-free life!

...I mean, alright. I'll go back to lounging about and having my peons good friends fan me and feed me grapes.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Azzur posted:

McTimmy, don't you take this drama out of my relatively stress-free life!

...I mean, alright. I'll go back to lounging about and having my peons good friends fan me and feed me grapes.

The greatest thing about Star Wars: The Old Republic is having a sail barge mount complete with a hovering grape tray.

BlazetheInferno
Jun 6, 2015

McTimmy posted:

The greatest thing about Star Wars: The Old Republic is having a sail barge mount complete with a hovering grape tray.

It gave me a sci-fi MMO and let me play as a catman dualwielding pistols. I enjoyed it. Though to be honest, I did kinda treat it more as a singleplayer game than an MMO.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

BlazetheInferno posted:

It gave me a sci-fi MMO and let me play as a catman dualwielding pistols. I enjoyed it. Though to be honest, I did kinda treat it more as a singleplayer game than an MMO.

Which is pretty much how you should play it anyway because it really is just KOTOR3 but with a weird multiplayer module tacked onto it.

SirSystemError
Jan 3, 2018

Hey, that old footnote from the WC1 LP is back! Not what I saw coming to say the least. But now I'm somewhat confused.

Why's that? Well for that we need to go back to the Warcraft II LP for a bit of lookback and analysis. Vilefeast had two experiments performed on him. The first in Mission 2 when Gul'dan did...something to him. The effects of this were demonstrated in Missions 4-6 - he would experience a phenomenon depicted to as as a red flash followed by going more berserk than usual - possibly related to a form of bloodlust (the spell). This led to him getting killed in the sixth mission, and eventually revived as a Death Knight, after which this didn't seem to happen anymore.

Now for something interesting: at no point after Vilefeast's "revival" in the WC2 LP did he show signs of being possessed. The obvious conclusion is that this took a while to take effect. On the other hand and adding to the confusion, he was also called a failure by Gul'dan. What about this one? Aside from possibly one outburst in Mission 1 which could easily be passed off as Vilefeast being Vilefeast, his possession really started after the second mission. You know, when the group obtained the Skull of Gul'dan. In the event that the outburst in mission 1 was a possession, there were none through the second interestingly enough. That's why I thought it was going to be Gul'dan himself, and being near proximity to the skull strengthed the possession - especially given that Gul'dan had previously possessed Vilefeast in WC2 Mission 6. Of course in any event, we reach the conclusion that Vilefeast's spirit was so strong that until what just happened he was able to overpower the necrolyte within him.

In any event going back to things, I'd previously ruled Darkweaver out due to the lack of a lisp. In fact, as far back as his previous appearance he did not have one. And yet right away at the start of this mission he started speaking with one. So what's the deal?

Probably overananalyzing/reading too much into things aside, it'll be interesting to see him back. Especially if he interacts with Nigel and co, if they even remember who he is that is.

SirSystemError fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Jun 23, 2018

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Episode 14: Once More Unto the Breach or Kobold Gold Thieves

Mission Briefing

: I think it's a little presumptuous to say "they're back."

: But it is a good place to begin our investigation. There are a lot of orcs here from unfamiliar clans.

: And Gaz, there was the sign-

: Forget about the drat sign already, Varin!

: Ahem.

: My apologies, Sir Turalyon.

: ...I trust we won't have a repeat of last time, Captain?

: Of course not. My men are under control.

: Has anyone seen Ruku?

: 'Oi! Th' Nethergarde armory is fully stocked! Come an' grab a murderin' stick!

: Sir Turalyon, I have some issues with the keep.

: Ah, and what would those be, fair elf?

: First off... I must express my displeasure with the way that everyone speaks to me as though I were not one hundred years older than them.

: Secondly, these towers are unmanned. I have already seen fit to have them supplied with weaponry and ammunition.

: Excellent, thank you very mu-

: We're currently manufacturing nothing.

: That's because-

: WASTE. I shall requisition a ballista immediately.

: And there's this massive vulnerable point in our defenses! Any orc could walk right through here!

: I think that's for carriages to bring supplies to the fort.

: Foolishness. It's no wonder you humans lost the First War.

: Hey! Who put a drat donkey house in me drinkin' cubby?

: And now we are safe from all threats.

: Men! To arms!

: Nonsense. We're safe behind these walls.

: Y'know... she's actually right.

: Aye, but it takes all th' fun out o' things. I just got this new beastie outta th' armory and I wanted ta give 'er a try.

: Aren't you going to scold him or something?

: What would that even accomplish? He's not going to change.

: I'll get a small boost of temporary smug satisfaction.

: Alright, enough talk. Let's get moving.

: But I just got the fortress in working order!

: You can stay here, Kala, we'll handle this.

So this mission starts you out with a nearly fully formed base. Most important is the blacksmith that you begin with. Upgrading your units early will allow you to start pressuring the orc forces early while minimizing losses. Speaking of which, there are a few ways to approach this mission, and while it may not be obvious from the outset, only one path seems truly viable. Of course, it happens to be through an entire enemy base.

: And why couldn't I stay behind?

: Gaz, Kala has a mind for defense and this is a dangerous mission out here.

: Ye sure it ain't got somethin' ta do with th' elf bein' a woman?

: That's nonsense. And if it did, it's merely for her protection.

: True enough. Chivalry.

: Ye humans can dress up sexism all ye want, but it still smells no matter what it's wearin'.

: We've made contact. Bleeding Hollow, by the looks of it.

: Those aren't their colors, but their markings. I wonder why.

: Who can really explain why orcs do anything?

: Ah, so good ta finally split a troll in two with a weapon bigger than 'is body.

: Engineer, move the siege weaponry up.

: I'm gonna assume tha's me.

: This is a scouting mission, Sir Turalyon. Is it necessary to-

: Woohohooo!

: ...launch an attack like this?

: My job is to report what Sir Danath saw and what Khadgar believes. However, these are orcs we are dealing with. We can give them no quarter.

: Of course. Men, move out.

: Man, I love seeing you so stripped of authority. Have I mentioned that yet?

Having a few upgrades over your opponent is making it so that even my little force here can take the enemy base. Of course, ballistae help.

: Phew... I dun recall ever fightin' this hard durin' the last war.

: Yeah, our last commanding officer was a real pushover.

: Guys, really? We traveled around the war putting orcs to the sword.

: Yeah, but now I'm all... outta breath an' stuff.

: Look alive. We've arrived at the Bleeding Hollow base.

: Ah, drat, stitch! I've got a drat stitch, Cap'n!

: Are you serious right now?

: Sounds like someone's a bit out of shape.

: 'Oi, tha's rich comin' from a stringbean like yerself. Can ye even do a pull up?

: Can you?

: This is the behavior that I was talking about, Captain.

: Let me assure you that they work best this way.

: I'll rip yer throat out, ye lily livered waste rag!

: ...it's a new approach.

: Your squad came well recommended by Lord Khadgar so I trust you know what you're doing on the battlefield.

: Thank you, sir.

: I'm going to turn your mattress into a nest of spiders, you overgrown toad!

: Kala is quite lucky to be missing this.

Back at Nethergarde Keep...

: These defenses are woefully inadequate. What if... what if we're attacked by dragons again? Or mole creatures? Anar'alah! Tunneling suicidal kobolds! Alright, troops, I want you to start burying swords ten feet under ground!

: And let's get that barracks outside the walls. The orcs will only want to attack what's behind the walls leaving anything outside of it entirely safe.

: I see no foreseeable problems.

In the chaos of the Bleeding Hollow encampment...

: What do you mean you broke the ballistae?!

: In fairness, Varin... he started it.

: Oh, ye would say tha' wouldn't ye?

: What's going on here?

: Just, uh, preparing for a charge, sir. We like to finish these things personally, make sure there are no stragglers.

So I went and lost my ballistae to a odd little bug/glitch/fun feature. When set to attack a tower that disappeared into the fog of war, they went and just rolled right up to it. And exploded. That's a pretty huge setback when you're trying to neuter the enemy quickly.

: That seems needlessly dangerous.

: But efficient!

: I cannae help but notice that there are burnin' arrows rainin' down around me head, Cap'n!

: Keep your head low. We have to handle things differently since you and Gaz decided to act like idiots in front of high command.

: We didnae really decide anythin'. It jus' sorta happened.

: Why's th' mage boy get ta sit in the back with Danny?

: First off, that's not Sir Trollbane. Secondly, Gaz isn't a warrior. He doesn't even wear any armor.

: I dun wear any armor either!

: Yes, but that's a choice. If I recall, you said it made you "feel like a tea kettle."

: Aye. ...but you look jus' fine in it, Cap'n.

: This armor was specially made by my family smith for me on my sixteenth birthday.

: And it looks great! ...Really.

: Also... sixteen? What, do ya humans jus' stop growin' then?

: That settles that. Without any orcs, this place feels... eerie.

: Well done. Let's make this our forward base. If we're to examine the portal, we'll need to clear away any orcs in our way.

: You mean we're not done?

: ...are we at the portal yet?

: Ugh. We can almost see it from here.

: We'll get to establishing a base here. Ruku, I want you to check on Kala and have her get ready to transfer over here. We'll need her... expertise.

: Aye, aye, Cap'n. Y'know... we really should get an HR Department. Y'know... for when you and twinkle-fingers misspeak in the future.

: Ruku, just go.

Back at Nethergarde Keep...

: 'Ey, Kalasalalasari! How're ye...

: No, no, no! Lead the dragon inside the base! That's where we keep the weapons!

: Quit rioting. Of course I collapsed the gold mine. That's just one more method of ingress from below!

: ...so things are good.

: Well, hello there Ruku "Reckless" Firefist the Second. Just a moment.

: And one less dragon in Azeroth. What can I help you with today?

: Uuuuhhh... Cap'n wants ya?

: Captain Varin Wells? Or Captain Turalyon?

: Wait... is Turalyon a cap'n? An' wha's th' rest o' his name?

: ...I am ashamed to say that I do not know the answer to either of those questions.

: Aye, well 'afore we can go anywhere, we've got more orcs ta deal with. More of those singin' orcs!

: Do not fear. My defensive measures will lay them low.

: Is plantin' swords jus' a thing elves do, or izzat yer own brand o' crazy?

: That's strange. It would be foolish for orcs to assault with only a few of their grunts.

: Ah, that's much better.

: drat, ain'tcha got some magic ta... magic at them?

: Oh, my studies were primarily in conjurational teleportation with an inclination towards the martial applications.

: Aye, right. So... any o' that?

: Well, I could open a portal between the cistern and the orcs, but...

: My portals are still too small, it seems.

: ...aye.

: That notwithstanding, my defenses have held.

: I am torn 'tween bein' annoyed an' admirin' ya.

: We shall call it "adnoyance." It will save time. Now let's see to the forward base.

At the forward base...

: What is taking Ruku so long?

: I have a multitude of suggestions.

: A: He's loafing around Nethergarde trying to get a few more scraps of chicken into his belly.

: B: He's discovered a new way to blow himself up, and this time he's actually succeeded.

: Boy, you're really having fun with this, aren't you?

: OR! C: He's snuck into lady Morningstar's quarters and is trying on her dresses.

: Nah, I'm more o' a pants guy. Dresses feel jus' fine until ye gotta run around a battlefield.

: I do not own any dresses. As Ruku has stated, they are inconvenient for warfare.

: Gah! Don't you two know how to knock?

: We are currently standing outside.

: 'E's kinda dumb fer a wizard.

: Men, fall in!

: This base has not been found out by the orcs just yet, but we must press this advantage. There is an old mine not far from here. If the orcs gain control of it, they could field a more considerable force.

: You heard the commander. Fall in, Varin's Irregulars!

: ...We did not agree to this name.

: Let's just go already.

: I kinda like "Th' Fist o' Firefist!"

: Isn't that what you named your holy order?

: Did I? Haha, prob'ly. Well, I still like it.

: Speakin' o' which, one o' me boyos used his, uh, magic eyes ta see tha' th' orcs are already settin' up 'round th' gold mine.

: I'm sorry, "magic eyes?"

: Aye, d'ya need me ta explain magic to ye?

: No, that's quite al-

: Please go ahead. I'm sure I'll love this.

: Right. Well. Y'see there exists in this world a sort o' hungry worm.

: Great start so far.

: An' when tha' worm starts eatin' up th' worldstuff beneath us, it sheds a layer o' magic up through th' cracks in th' earth.

: I do not believe-

: GO ON.

: An' then, ye mages grab all tha' magic shed an' weave that into pretty pictures an' sigils tha' make it real.

: Glad to see that the siege is complete. Now we just... Gaz, what's so funny?

: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

: It appears that Master Ruku Firefist is under the impression that magic comes from... worm feces.

: AHAHAHAHAHA!

: Oi'! I'm jus' tellin' ya as me pappy tol' me!

: I have never seen Gaz this happy.

I have to break in here and explain this map really briefly. There are five gold mines on it in total, which normally isn't a problem. However, as you may have noted, there are three factions of orc and us. This means that resources become scarce very quickly. I didn't even realize this when I was playing, but this map is actually about trying not to starve out as best you can. Swiftly taking out the Bleeding Hollow and then taking hold of this mine are the keys to this mission. Or being better at the game. Probably that one.

: Let's get a perimeter formed up here. The rainfall has collected in the basin once more and it seems likely that the Horde could be using it for swift transport.

: Ruku, may we speak in private?

: Eh? Ye wanna hear more about th' worm?

: Well, that and I assumed you would like to assist with a problem that has arisen.

Later...

: I read in your background that you had some experience with the Wildhammer dwarves.

: ...tha' has nothin' ta do with th' worm.

: Oh, that. You're completely wrong. Now, the Wildhammers-

: Whassat?! Maybe in yer elven tongue it comes out ta world snake or somethin'...

: Obviously magic comes from a spring of water in Quel'thalas. Now, can you lead these men?

: Water? Tha's ridicu... I'm sorry, lass, what was that?

: These Wildhammer currently have no tactician who can communicate our desires for their movement.

: No. No. Absolutely not. I did tha' enough in th' last fight! I'm done!

Back atop the basin...

: Hold the line! These orcs shall go no farther!

: They seem to be coming endlessly. Is this enough proof that the portal has opened once more?

: Light, grant me vision that only you could provide.

: Oh, great. "Magic eyes." That's not real magic, y'know.

: The rift within is open once more. You know what we must do now.

: Pack up, go back to the keep, and let someone else sort it out?

: We have to clear out the forces here and stop any more from escaping.

: I just knew you would say that.

: Well get some ships together to make it through the flooding.

: It's always rain that makes our lives so difficult. Rain and dwarves. Weird, right?

: We'll clear the moat of orcish resistance and establish a landing zone for Sir Turalyon.

: Oh, yeah, easy peasy. Why don't people do this all the time?

: Breaking things into small, easily manageable steps allows for simpler understanding of purpose.

: Oh, jeez, have you been hitting the military textbooks again? That stuff screws with your head. Just look at Kala! I mean... she's bald!

: Sir Trollbane has been giving me some pointers. He seems to appreciate my talents on the battlefield.

: Was that before he floated the idea of a court martial or after?

: This is going to take forever. The longer we take pushing these orcs back, the more will continue to pour out of the portal. There's got to be a less cumbersome way of getting around this flooding.

: I swear I hear the most melodious sound in the world...

: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA-

: Hello, Captain Varin Wells, Marian Razigaz. Turn your gaze skyward for I am on a gryphon!

: Wait, what's going on?

: We're going to go destroy the orcs now. An attack from the sea will only fail...

: ...I think she just talked some mad poo poo and flew away.

: Huh.

In the Warsong camp...

: There! Strike their barracks!

: I hate bein' on these drat beasties, elf!

: Last time I was up here, I got stuck in a typhoon o' damned souls!

: And what a unique experience that must have been. I see some peons over there. Swoop in on them.

: Yer scarier than Berka e'er was. An' she was a Wild'ammer!

: I'll admit that I do not see much difference between your people.

: Pfft! Look at them Wild'ammer boys. Half naked, cover'd in tribal markin's. They're practic'ly feral!

: And yet you married one?

: Marry is a strong word, lass.

: ...a civil union?

: Har! We were anythin' but civil!

: But we stayed together long enough fer th' boy. I jus' wish tha-

: There's our target! Without that stronghold there, the orcs will be left with no point of command and will be forced to flee.

: ...Tha' doesn't sound right.

: Of course it is. I read it in a book. Books are always correct.

: Uhh... the Wild'ammer boys are takin' some serious damage.

: Necessary losses for this mission.

: You realize tha' we are also on this mission?

So the objectives for this mission are a bit different from many of the other missions. You only have to destroy the enemy fortresses and strongholds while escorting Turalyon to the Dark Portal. I do wonder if this is a mission that got playtested and someone realized that it was an absolute slog to try and completely eliminate all of the forces with the limited resources at your disposal. Because, as you will soon see, no one will be able to make troops after a while.

: We'll be fine.

: Really, Kala?! REALLY?!

: Kalassori Morningpath, actually.

Elsewhere...

: I am not seeing Master Firefist or Lady Morningpath anywhere.

: Dammit. I can understand this recklessness from Ruku, but Kala?

: It's, apparently, right there in his name. But, there's something else you mentioned, Sir Turalyon.

: Oh?

: Mines. These orcs don't have any. The can't possibly be producing any more weapons for their troops or paying new recruits...

: I'm not sure it works that way.

: It's the perfect time to strike! Gaz, I have a plan.

Hours later...

: This is insane.

: You said it yourself, they won't be able to resupply. Any strike we make will cripple the orcs for good.

: Why couldn't we just... not do all of this? Like, leave all of this to Danath and Turalyon.

: And let him win?

: Him?

: You know. Him. The orcs. Kind of just... like a royal "Him."

: Seems weird to gender the whole race like that, but I haven't seen any women in their ranks.

: You should probably look closer. Alright, on to the next stage of my plan.

: Yes, let's start building inside of the orc base! Did you learn this one from Danath as well?

: Oh, come on. We have enough material to put together a few ballistae. We'll be fine.

Above the Dark Portal...

: See? I knew we'd be fine.

: Yer drat lucky tha' th' Fist o' Firefist was able to patch the boyos up!

: Those are definitely Turalyon's Silver Hand.

: Eh, tomato-tomato.

: I think you're supposed to pronounce those words differently for that to make any sense.

: I think it would be in our best interest to clear the portal of any defenses before Captain Varin Wells makes his naval approach here.

: D'ya think he's still gonna try tha'?

: He is a predictable man.

: They'll never expect this!

: This is the sort of man who has the same meal for breakfast every day.

: Aye. Dry toast with a glass o' milk and a halved tomato. Without salt. I think th' Cap'n might be a madman.

: Let's finish our work with those purple bannered orcs.

: Wasn't tha' Twilight's 'Ammer?

: These are... different. The Twilight Hammer has laid dead since the last war. I know not who these orcs are.

Back atop the basin...

: Let's move. I must see the portal, myself.

: Though I do not trust that Captain Bells cleared out the moat sufficiently. Best to play it safe.

: Oi'! Cap'n! What're ye doin' here?

: Ruku! Kala!

: Kalassori Morningpath, but no one seems to remember that.

: We thought you were dead!

: That would have been half a tragedy.

: By my calculations, with the fall of this fortress, we have neutered the orcish threat.

: Again.

: So... mission accomplished?

At the Dark Portal...

: But why now? What do the orcs want?

: Something about this... doesn't feel right.

: I'll have someone send a message to Khadgar immediately. I fear this is more than another invasion.

Azzur fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 8, 2019

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
It's delayed, but it's here! Yeah!

Before I comment on the latest update-

SirSystemError- Yeah, I noticed, the lisp only came in recently too. I'm sure it's a signature part of Darkweaver's personality that took a while to manifest as he grew in power and not just a recent plot twist. :) Also, I'm sure Vilefeast is still in there waiting to come out and prove himself Superior when the time is right. Note the lack of a lisp in that word. And yes, I am referencing a recent comic storyline I did not like. :(

Latest update-

- No, Gaz, we are not forgetting that sign!

- Kala and I are of like mind on defense. Except when it comes to the ridiculous stuff.

- Loving the drawings as always.

- Planting swords. Now I know where Sword Trees come from.

- I too always waited for the Orcs to run out of extra troops in this mission and then slaughter them. Humans have Healing, so we can last longer, generally.

Looking forward to what's next, and to the arrival of a certain Wildhammer (Kurdran) on screen. I can't wait to see how he and Ruku get along. :D

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

achtungnight posted:

It's delayed, but it's here! Yeah!

That one's my bad. I went out for lunch yesterday, met some people, ended up missing my train... good times had by all.

Dr. Snark
Oct 15, 2012

I'M SORRY, OK!? I admit I've made some mistakes, and Jones has clearly paid for them.
But ma'am! Jones' only crime was looking at the wrong files!
I beg of you, don't ship away Jones, he has a wife and kids!

-United Nations Intelligence Service

My earlier statement that Kala is basically Warcraft's version of Zapp Brannigan still stands, FYI :v:

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

I take it Ruku also believes that consuming spicemagic also changes your eye colour?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
I remember a time when we thought an elf might bring some sanity to the alliance team...

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!
You know, I'm not too up to date on all of the post-Warcraft 3 lore updates, but I feel strangely as though Ruku's theory that magic comes from worm poo poo would be a reference to some of the wackier metaplot introduced by World of Warcraft. Or it could just be a Dune reference, I suppose.

Anyway, great update.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Yeah... I had the same creeping feeling of impending stupidity.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
I have made my stance well known on the mental stability of elves in Warcraft lore.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Hey, trolls used to be elves in WC lore. Orcs too, in Tolkien lore. That tells you a lot about their potential sanity levels right there. And the elves in numerous high fantasy stories aren't too stable either. The drow of the Forgotten Realms and the fae of pretty much anything come to mind.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

achtungnight posted:

Hey, trolls used to be elves in WC lore. Orcs too, in Tolkien lore. That tells you a lot about their potential sanity levels right there. And the elves in numerous high fantasy stories aren't too stable either. The drow of the Forgotten Realms and the fae of pretty much anything come to mind.

Oh, please. We haven't run into Warcraft's version of the drow yet. The high elves circa the Second War are downright stable and pleasant.

But this is Warcraft. Everyone is a melodramatic ham.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.

Cythereal posted:

Oh, please. We haven't run into Warcraft's version of the drow yet. The high elves circa the Second War are downright stable and pleasant.

But this is Warcraft. Everyone is a melodramatic ham.

Man, I would love Old God meddling "dark elves" in Warcraft mythos. Sort of like the drow from Pathfinder's Golarion setting where they just abduct surface dwellers, turn them into horrific flesh monsters, and then just shrug before checking off "gently caress up some dude's life" on a clipboard.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Azzur posted:

Man, I would love Old God meddling "dark elves" in Warcraft mythos. Sort of like the drow from Pathfinder's Golarion setting where they just abduct surface dwellers, turn them into horrific flesh monsters, and then just shrug before checking off "gently caress up some dude's life" on a clipboard.

Funnily enough, BFA has introduced just that...

They're an Alliance race, incidentally.

Azzur
Nov 11, 2009

Victory.
I remember growing up through the varying changing media that I was in love with, I would swear up and down that I'd never become a grognard saying, "Things were best back when I played it!" but man it's getting harder with Warcraft...

Actually, I should learn more about these Void Elves, but I'm mostly backburnering Lore study since my plate is already full of retcons and trying to insert the square peg of WC2 into the round hole of modern Warcraft.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Azzur posted:

Actually, I should learn more about these Void Elves, but I'm mostly backburnering Lore study since my plate is already full of retcons and trying to insert the square peg of WC2 into the round hole of modern Warcraft.

Fortunately, they're not a retcon. They were invented out of thin air for BFA as a brand-new thing, with the only foreshadowing of any sort being Alleria's at the time implied to be unique void powers that culminated in her eating a fallen Naaru and turning into the screenshot.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

achtungnight posted:

Other way around my friend. Elves used to be Trolls. All these elves are mutations of the Troll race.

Cythereal posted:

Fortunately, they're not a retcon. They were invented out of thin air for BFA as a brand-new thing, with the only foreshadowing of any sort being Alleria's at the time implied to be unique void powers that culminated in her eating a fallen Naaru and turning into the screenshot.

I can't tell if the Void Elves are Blizzard trying to give the Alliance a dark side and thus more of a personality, or if they literally just didn't consider the implications of the Void Elves based on how nobody in the Alliance seems to have any complaints/concerns/issues whatsoever with adopting these lunatics hellbent on using the Void, the single most pointlessly dangerous branch of magic possible, over any other possible alternative.

GhostStalker
Mar 26, 2010

Guys, find a woman who looks at you the way GhostStalker looks at every bald, obese, single 58 year old accountant from Tulsa who managed to win $4,000 by not wagering on a Final Jeopardy triple stumper.

Captain Oblivious posted:

I can't tell if the Void Elves are Blizzard trying to give the Alliance a dark side and thus more of a personality, or if they literally just didn't consider the implications of the Void Elves based on how nobody in the Alliance seems to have any complaints/concerns/issues whatsoever with adopting these lunatics hellbent on using the Void, the single most pointlessly dangerous branch of magic possible, over any other possible alternative.

Seeing as how they're apparently led by Alleria, who is pretty much the only High Elf hero still loyal to the Alliance (save maybe her sister who is, last I checked, one of the Archmages leading the Kirin Tor in Dalaran), High Command probably just took a look at who was leading them and shrugged.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

GhostStalker posted:

Seeing as how they're apparently led by Alleria, who is pretty much the only High Elf hero still loyal to the Alliance (save maybe her sister who is, last I checked, one of the Archmages leading the Kirin Tor in Dalaran), High Command probably just took a look at who was leading them and shrugged.

There's an entire rep faction of high elves who are still active and a thing as of Legion.

I think the void elves are just Blizzard thinking they were giving the folks who wanted playable high elves what they want but now they're BADASS and EMPOWERED BY THE VOID and AWESOME!... Wait, what do you mean "We want high elves" still?!