Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by
any tips for the HQ helm component Ixal quest for someone with lvl 30 CUL and 15 everything else? This quest is kicking my rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
Been finishing up my crafters, and I think it might have been said in the thread before but I appreciate that in the LTW 68 quest, the questgiver acknowledges I have a particular set of skills (when saying I should not use them). Because murdering that idiot who calls himself a hearer probably wouldn't go over well, no matter how much booze I bribe Kan-E with.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

pupuru posted:

any tips for the HQ helm component Ixal quest for someone with lvl 30 CUL and 15 everything else? This quest is kicking my rear end.

i have no idea what your gear looks like, but assuming its basically the highest NQ crafter gear you can have + ixal gloves try something like this

/ac "Inner Quiet" <wait.2>
/ac "Steady Hand" <wait.2>
/ac "Waste Not" <wait.2>
/ac "Standard Touch" <wait.3>
/ac "Basic Touch" <wait.3>
/ac "Basic Touch" <wait.3>
/ac "Hasty Touch" <wait.3>
/ac "Steady Hand" <wait.2>
/ac "Hasty Touch" <wait.3>
/ac "Great Strides" <wait.2>
/ac "Standard Touch" <wait.3>
/ac "Careful Synthesis" <wait.3>
/echo Macro #1 complete <se.14>

if youre not in updated NQ gear, notably on the right side, you might have to chug a Stone Soup for some extra CP
Either way, this is only gonna be a 22% HQ chance on average, and without knowing your exact stats it's hard to perfectly optimize as I tried to leave in some leeway for it

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pupuru posted:

Pre-Byregot's, hard crafts like that are purely based on luck. First, get to CUL 37 for SHII and slightly better gear. Buy some Stone Soup from the Gold Saucer vendor for extra CP.

What I'd personally recommend: start off every attempt by trying to hit enough Rapid Synths (with SHII and Waste Not) so that you're just within range of a single Basic Synthesis or two to complete it. If any of your Rapid Synths fail, just exit out of the craft, get new components, and try again. Then, use Hasty Touch along with SHII/Waste Not to build up Inner Quiet stacks. Try to use Tricks at least once during a SHII/Waste Not rotation so that you end the rotation on an uneven number of Durability (e.g. 35), since this'll give you some more wiggle room to finish off the craft. When your CP gets low enough that you can't do another SHII/Waste Not combo, use Rumination and use any additional CP to try and raise Quality as high as you can before you finish off with a Basic Synth. If you ever get Excellent quality, hit Standard Touch, because there's a good chance it'll propel you straight to 100% HQ if your Inner Quiet stacks are high enough.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jun 22, 2018

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mordiceius posted:

Mordiceius & Masami's 1st Annual Housing Decorator Battle Royale: A Fight to the Death... OF STYLE

The Warrior of Light has spent years on the the battlefield, fighting foes both seen and unseen. However, are you a bad enough dude to step up and take on the biggest challenge yet - interior design!

In conjunction with the Manderville Gold Saucer's Make It Rain campaign, Mordiceius Ketsumei wants to make it rain on your wallet with fabulous prizes!

Over the three weeks of this competition, the goal is to decorate the best house and/or apartment possible.

Rules & Requirements
This is for players on the Excalibur server, sorry other servers.
This is a competition for privately owned Houses and Apartments. FC houses are not eligible for the prizes.
You may compete in both the housing tier and the apartment tier, should you have both.
Only the current main homeowner may apply for competition. If you are a shared tenant of an estate, you cannot sign up with an estate unless you are the main owner.
To sign up, you must go to Mordiceius Ketsumei's house at Mist, Ward 9, Plot 4 and leave a message in the message book with your house/apartment address any time before the final deadline.
All entries must be open to the public so anyone can view.
All entries must contain a message book either inside or outside the property.

Final Deadline
June 23rd, 12pm (Noon) PDT

Once entries are closed, a list of all participating homeowners will be listed in this thread so anyone may view.

Winners will be announced by June 24th, 12pm (Noon) PDT

Prizes!
Best in Show: Estate
5 million gil
Player's choice of rare minion: Byakko Cub, Private Moai, Stuffed Tsukuyomi, Wind-up Magnai, Wind-up Shinryu

Best in Show: Apartment
1 million gil
Player's choice of rare minion: Byakko Cub, Private Moai, Stuffed Tsukuyomi, Wind-up Magnai, Wind-up Shinryu

Mordiceius posted:

:siren: MAJOR UPDATE ANNOUNCEMENT :siren:

I am honored to announce a special guest judge and an extra cash prize!

Silver Bells is stepping up as an special guest housing judge as well as supplying a bonus prize!

And thus, in addition to the "Best in Show" category for estates, there will be Silver Bell's 1st, 2nd, and 3rd prize selections.

Prizes are as follows:
1st Prize: 3 million gil
2nd Prize: 2 million gil
3rd Prize: 1 million gil

Silver Bell's judging will happen separately from myself and Masami's and we will not know who the other chooses as the first. And thus, houses have the potential to win a whopping :siren: 8 MILLION GIL! :siren:

Entries close :siren: tomorrow at noon! :siren: If you want to still enter, you have 27 hours from the time of this post!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

What's the fastest way to grind out a ton of poetics? I have a sudden, terrible need for the BLM anima weapon to go with a glamour.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Cabbit posted:

What's the fastest way to grind out a ton of poetics? I have a sudden, terrible need for the BLM anima weapon to go with a glamour.

If you find PFs of people advertising first time unsynched clears of pre-SB trials or raids, join them. 100 poetics for a minute if work.

An active hunt group will also get you tomestones quickly if a bunch of A ranks are up and you make it in time to get a few hits in before they explode.

After that your looking at roulettes. Run them as a tank to get into the instance faster (though that means you have to have faith that you get paired with dps that aren't awful).

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Thundarr posted:

If you find PFs of people advertising first time unsynched clears of pre-SB trials or raids, join them. 100 poetics for a minute if work.

An active hunt group will also get you tomestones quickly if a bunch of A ranks are up and you make it in time to get a few hits in before they explode.

I've been looking for a hunt group on Siren and been having real poor luck. Any good alternatives to those two options?

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Roulettes and story primals like shiva and thordan.

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank
Main Scenario roulette is a decent chunk of poetics/effort since you get extras if there are actual newbies tagging along, plus maybe a third of a level. It's garbage for poetics/time since they take 30 or 50 min depending on which one you get, but you don't have to be tabbed in while the cutscenes play and you barely have to be tabbed in to beat stuff up. You can probably set up a macro with a proc-ignoring BLM rotation and an autohotkey script intermittently pressing it for the Praetorium boss rush and no one will notice.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Cabbit posted:

Solo HW and ARR A ranks. Very few people seem to care about them and they only get called out when someone comes across them hours after they've spawned, especially so during off-peak hours.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
It seems like Yiazmat's butter attack aims at the farthest person? The last two times I did Ridorana, he aimed at me every time.

Not that I'm complaining. It makes him incredibly easy to bait!

FrostyJones
Sep 23, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It seems like Yiazmat's butter attack aims at the farthest person? The last two times I did Ridorana, he aimed at me every time.

Not that I'm complaining. It makes him incredibly easy to bait!

This almost feels like confirmation bias, but he did it to me too! :argh:

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

Gah. Apparently Squeenix pushed an update to the android token app that seems to have been targeted to specifically disable the revoke-phone-permissions workaround that made it work on Project Fi (and other virtual networks). Heaven knows why anyone felt this was necessary, far as I know the app still works on tablets and other offline devices. It's not like it has an actual reason to care about having the phone permission or needs to use it in any way. I guess it's back to just a password...

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

I've done like 10 of the level 70 solo maps, generally costing around ~15k each, and each one has produced at least 30k gil in crystals alone-- the last few also with tradeskill mats or housing items worth ~40k.

Why don't these cost more? :psyduck:

Remilia
Jan 4, 2013

Cabbit posted:

I've done like 10 of the level 70 solo maps, generally costing around ~15k each, and each one has produced at least 30k gil in crystals alone-- the last few also with tradeskill mats or housing items worth ~40k.

The prices for them tend to drop around the weekend

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cabbit posted:

I GATHERED THE MATERIALS SO THE ITEM WAS FREE

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Leal posted:

Getting EVE flashbacks from this.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

Gah. Apparently Squeenix pushed an update to the android token app that seems to have been targeted to specifically disable the revoke-phone-permissions workaround that made it work on Project Fi (and other virtual networks). Heaven knows why anyone felt this was necessary, far as I know the app still works on tablets and other offline devices. It's not like it has an actual reason to care about having the phone permission or needs to use it in any way. I guess it's back to just a password...

Oh, is that why the app kept resetting on my phone? I didn't realize it was tied to the provider.

Why they don't just let you generate a QR code and add a token to your preferred authenticator, I'll never know.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Leal posted:

No, I mean, why aren't people buying these things and getting free money? I've been playing this game for a month, there's absolutely no way I'm first person who did the math and realized you pay 15k to make 45k.

Do maps just flow like water from gathering?

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Cabbit posted:

Pretty much, it's just limited to 1 every 18 hours. Normally doesn't take more than tapping nodes for 10 minutes to get one.

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Cabbit posted:

No, I mean, why aren't people buying these things and getting free money? I've been playing this game for a month, there's absolutely no way I'm first person who did the math and realized you pay 15k to make 45k.

Frankly 45k is just not worth the bother. My retainers bring me items worth 500k on a bad week and a few million if I get a minion or furniture. I'm sitting on a few hundred cracked clusters and grade V/VI materia which I'll turn into probably 20-50 million gil when the next raid tier comes out. If I felt like it I could run Canals groups for drops that sell for hundreds of thousands of gil at a minimum. Or I could gear up my crafter and make much more money than that. But frankly the only thing left that I want to spend money on is a Large house and I'm nowhere near done with decorating my Medium.

jalapeno_dude fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jun 23, 2018

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

DizzyBum posted:

Oh, is that why the app kept resetting on my phone? I didn't realize it was tied to the provider.

Yeah, whenever Fi (or whatever MVNO you use) switched to some other underlying carrier the token app will think you are on a new phone, forget all its settings and make you reregister. Before today you could trick it to not do that by going in to the Android app permissions and forbidding the token app from making calls or otherwise using phone functionality, so it just wouldn't know when that happened and happily carried on thinking it was on an offline device. Now the token app just refuses to start until you enable that, for some unfathomable reason.

It's a real poo poo system. It's unfortunately not the only Android 2FA I've come across with that problem -- the other one is honestly worse as it is the main identity provider for the Swedish government and banking system, which I really need as a Swedish citizen even though I live in California. Without it I'd need to file my Swedish taxes on paper, like some sort of backwards colonial plebe, eww, that might taken up to an hour. Fortunately I can at least work around that on Project Fi by dialing the "force switch carrier" code (*#*#FINEXT#*#* if that ever becomes relevant to you) to go back to whatever carrier the app first registered with and to make that particular 2FA app happy. That approach doesn't work for the sqex token app which just totally resets whenever your phone carrier hops.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
All my retainers ever bring me is NQ holy rainbow gloves and fish.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Xerophyte posted:

Yeah, whenever Fi (or whatever MVNO you use) switched to some other underlying carrier the token app will think you are on a new phone, forget all its settings and make you reregister. Before today you could trick it to not do that by going in to the Android app permissions and forbidding the token app from making calls or otherwise using phone functionality, so it just wouldn't know when that happened and happily carried on thinking it was on an offline device. Now the token app just refuses to start until you enable that, for some unfathomable reason.

It's a real poo poo system. It's unfortunately not the only Android 2FA I've come across with that problem -- the other one is honestly worse as it is the main identity provider for the Swedish government and banking system, which I really need as a Swedish citizen even though I live in California. Without it I'd need to file my Swedish taxes on paper, like some sort of backwards colonial plebe, eww, that might taken u! to an hour. Fortunately I can at least work around that on Project Fi by dialing the "force switch carrier" code (*#*#FINEXT#*#* if that ever becomes relevant to you) to go back to whatever carrier the app first registered with and to make that particular 2FA app happy. That approach doesn't work for the sqex token app which just totally resets whenever your phone carrier hops.

Well goddamn, I learned a lot about my provider today, thanks for the infodump!

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

FiSwitch will just copy the code to your clipboard and open up the dialer so you can paste it, so you don't even have to manually dial it.

Mymla
Aug 12, 2010

Cabbit posted:

If I wanted to make 30k gil, I'd sit down and craft for half an hour and accidentally make 1 million gil.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
Aether goons: I asked a while ago, but Gelmorra Public Radio is still looking for a couple of subs to help fill out its roster, and might consider making room for a good BRD. We're marginally more reliable at clearing O5S-O7S than random Party Finder guys! Hell, we even managed to make it to this ugly dude for the first time earlier tonight.

the real dark souls starts here

Anyways, I have 10 levels to go on WAR and 15 levels to go on MNK and I'll finally have every combat job capped out. WAR is fairly self-explanatory, but Monk seems like it has a lot of tricks it can pull off with its ignore/skip form buttons. I did figure out that I can very quickly get three stacks of Greased Lightning by popping Perfect Balance and spamming Snap Punch/Demolish/Rockbreaker, but are there other things to know at this level? I managed to outdamage an RDM in Dusk Vigil, so that's good at least.

I saved the best /vposes for last.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

Cabbit posted:

People mostly do maps, because there is a chance an item that sells for millions will drop and they will get it. But it takes time and it's basically a slot machine on top of a slot machine. Also - on my world, gazelleskin maps sell from 25k to 55k, 15k is quite cheap (and I probably already made millions just from selling maps).

Dwesa fucked around with this message at 10:16 on Jun 23, 2018

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cabbit posted:

It's just a huge waste of time to run them for a 30k profit because of the reasons aforementioned by Mymla. The joke you missed about the "I gathered the items therefore it was free" is because your math is not accounting for time spent much like the people who think gathering mats themselves for a crafting made the item free.

It's a good way to make money if you're super low and I got to the 10ks like twice in the history of this game. Opportunities like this are plenty on the AH and I'm glad you found one, they're good to get out of the red, so whenever you find one exploit it as far as you can. But after you cross a certain threshold 30k is just not worth the time.

Banjo Kaczynski
Jul 26, 2016

watch as I pass you by

RME posted:

i have no idea what your gear looks like, but assuming its basically the highest NQ crafter gear you can have + ixal gloves try something like this

[a very nice macro]

thanks a bunch! I'm finding it tough to work out what the "optimal" rotation for a crafter is just because there seem to be a bunch of different paths and every single post has a different one.

Unrelated, how many bad guys have to be in a cuddle puddle for Total Eclipse to be a DPS gain?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

pupuru posted:

thanks a bunch! I'm finding it tough to work out what the "optimal" rotation for a crafter is just because there seem to be a bunch of different paths and every single post has a different one.

Unrelated, how many bad guys have to be in a cuddle puddle for Total Eclipse to be a DPS gain?

Fast blade = 160
Savage Blade = 210
Halone = 270
Riot Blade = 240
RA = 360
Total Eclipse = 110 per target

Pre-60: (160 + 210 + 270)/3 = about 213.333 potency per GCD
TE with 2 targets: 2*110 = 220 potency per GCD
60+: (160 + 240 + 360)/3 = 253.333 potency per GCD
TE with 3 targets: 3*110 = 330 potency per GCD.

Conclusion:

Total Eclipse outDPSes single target at 2 targets before Royal Authority.
Total Eclipse outDPSes single target at 3 or more targets.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 13:34 on Jun 23, 2018

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

pupuru posted:

Pre-70, pre-Byregot's, your rotation is mostly spamming Hasty Touch with Waste Not + SHII, trying to get around 2 Tricks off per craft, and using Rumination once you can't Waste Not + SHII again to finish off the craft. Once you get Byregot's, you replace Rumination with Byregot's + Great Strides to finish off a craft. For 40 Durability crafts pre-Byregot's, you can use Basic Touch instead and pray for a lot of Good procs to try and propel your Quality up; realistically, you need HQ components to HQ 40 Durability consistently before Byregot's.

As you may have noticed, Byregot's is really, really important. Byregot's Brow can sort of replace it, but Blessing is straight better past around 6 or 7 Inner Quiet stacks. Once you get it, HQing crafts becomes ridiculously trivial.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I don't know how my race chocobo keeps getting worse as it ranks up, but at least Zero Fuchs is a good name.

TooManyUzukis
Jun 23, 2007

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Fast blade = 160
Savage Blade = 210
Halone = 270
Riot Blade = 240
RA = 360
Total Eclipse = 110 per target

Pre-60: (160 + 210 + 270)/3 = about 213.333 potency per GCD
TE with 2 targets: 2*110 = 220 potency per GCD
60+: (160 + 240 + 360)/3 = 253.333 potency per GCD
TE with 3 targets: 3*110 = 330 potency per GCD.

Conclusion:

Total Eclipse outDPSes single target at 2 targets before Royal Authority.
Total Eclipse outDPSes single target at 3 or more targets.

You forgot Goring Blade exists.

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Leofish posted:

I don't know how my race chocobo keeps getting worse as it ranks up, but at least Zero Fuchs is a good name.

That's a good name.

Do you want tips on leveling Chocobos if you're planning to race or are you kosher

Jose Valasquez
Apr 8, 2005

Are there many aether goons? Most people are on primal or chaos.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

The real reason not to spam Total Eclipse, ignoring total potencies, is because not a single loving melee DPS in either 4-mans or 8-mans knows what Goad is.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.

Vermain posted:

The real reason not to spam Total Eclipse, ignoring total potencies, is because not a single loving melee DPS in either 4-mans or 8-mans knows what Goad is.

And this may or may not have something to do with the fact that not a single loving tank knows what Total Eclipse or Overpower are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Vermain posted:

Most melee DPS don't even know how to push their own aoe buttons, using Goad so you can spam yours is way too hard.