Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Agean90 posted:

because they're all insecure dweebs who lived in suburbs they're whole lives who think that facial hair and a motorcycle make them as tough as the memes they post of facebook make them out to be. the reality is, of course:

https://twitter.com/OregonJOBS2/status/1009609733316079617

The vid in the tweet is from several years ago. Just so folks don't get burned for fwding and laughing at the idiot emboldened trumper (though he obviously probably is one now)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

Dreddout posted:

I honestly think the suburban CHUD is so atomized that they can't concieve of society affecting them directly.

Even in their rahowa fantasies, its always individual thugs that threaten them.

they think their gated communities protect them from everything

on the contrary, it just gathered them all at one place with limited escape routes

:murder:

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Zeroisanumber posted:

Nah, they're just very willing to pay a small price if they think that brown people are getting hit way worse. When you hear them whine about it like MAGA-Soybeans from the article it's because they feel like the price that they're paying for satisfying their enormous sense of racial grievance is slightly too high.

Some people might call that stupidity.

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Some people might call that stupidity.
It's not though, it's just massively screwed up ideals. Voting for Trump though is pretty stupid, given just how hard he'd have to hit brown people to make up for the economic damage he'd clearly do. Despite everything, he's not likely to set up extermination camps for US citizens, which seems like the only thing that'd make up for destroying their businesses.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
I was behind four pages and fuckkkk me maannn I;m going to OD from this poo poo rifght here its da bommmmbbb

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

uhh the POTUS has historically cared about rich as gently caress people.

yeah but I dont think EU career bureaucrats or the Canadian prime minister give a poo poo about the president's golden toilets

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Dreddout posted:

I honestly think the suburban CHUD is so atomized that they can't concieve of society affecting them directly.

Even in their rahowa fantasies, its always individual thugs that threaten them.

This has always been my impression too: that redhats (among others) really don’t think of the President as someone who personally affects their, anyone else’s, lives. You vote for president to endorse a philosophy, which the election then manifests via mass hallucination. (The particular philosophy that excited them this time was racism.) This is why the idea of examining his statements to predict his actions is so alien and ridiculous to them - “seriously but not literally” and all that.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Opium was legal but it was a big problem. Also women used it a lot less, although not really sure why.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

nyt posted:

Nails

In the 2016 presidential election, George Skarich, the vice president of sales for the Missouri-based Mid Continent Nail Corporation, voted for Mr. Trump and hoped that he would use his business acumen to supercharge the economy.

The economy is booming, but Mr. Skarich said he was not reaping the benefits. Instead, as a result of Mr. Trump’s trade policies, Mr. Skarich said his nail company may soon be out of business.

Mid Continent, the largest American producer of nails, imports steel from Mexico to make its nails. That steel is now subject to the 25 percent tariffs that Mr. Trump imposed on dozens of countries, forcing Mid Continent to raise its prices by nearly 20 percent.

Orders have plummeted by 50 percent this month as the company tries to compete with cheaper foreign-made nails. Those foreign manufacturers are not facing higher steel costs, giving them an advantage over Mid Continent.

The company, which employs about 500 workers, has already cut 60 jobs. It could potentially cut 200 more in the coming weeks.

While Mr. Trump might propose that Mid Continent simply buy American-made steel, it might not be so simple: Mr. Skarich notes that the cost of American-made metal is much higher than what the company had been importing from Mexico, meaning it would still have to raise prices for its nails if it used domestic steel.

Mr. Skarich, a Republican, has lobbied Senator Claire McCaskill, a Democrat from Missouri, for help.

“He ran on ‘Make America Great Again,’ and the point was to defend and protect jobs in the United States,” Mr. Skarich said. “Now here is an action he decides to take that has the potential to cost 500 U.S. citizens their jobs.”
One of the few lols to be found in our current hellworld is the way that businessmen (who all think of themselves sharp and savvy and hard-nosed and clear-eyed) talked themselves into believing that Trump's campaign trade rhetoric was just hot air designed to rile up the rubes, and that he had no intention of ever following though on that - after all, he was a successful businessman, just like them!

The whole article is full of businessmen slowly realizing that electing a "businessman" (who inherited his money and has been to bankruptcy court six times, and is also a retard) might not have been their wisest move: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/22/us/politics/donald-trump-tariffs-trade-war.html

FMguru has issued a correction as of 17:55 on Jun 23, 2018

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Pick posted:

Opium was legal but it was a big problem. Also women used it a lot less, although not really sure why.

im guessing they drank laudanum (which contains opium) instead

smoking opium happened in dens which were off limits to women (because they were often also bordellos)

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

successful businessmen have two drinks then rant about how Hillary should go to prison for Benghazi. almost the entire party is fully radicalized on the same talking points regardless of class or wealth.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

FMguru posted:

One of the few lols to be found in our current hellworld is the way that businessmen (who all think of themselves sharp and savvy and hard-nosed and clear-eyed) talked themselves into believing that Trump's campaign trade rhetoric was just hot air designed to rile up the rubes, and that he had no intention of ever following though on that - after all, he was a successful businessman, just like them!

The whole article is full of businessmen slowly realizing that electing a "businessman" (who inherited his money and has been to bankruptcy court six times, and is also a retard) might not have been their wisest move: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/06/22/us/politics/donald-trump-tariffs-trade-war.html

Also how tarrifs aren't effective due to globalism since customers can easily find alternative suppliers.

chaleski
Apr 25, 2014

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

they avg trump voter doesn't care if he hurts them as long as he hurts non-whites even more. it really is that simple

You can easily replace 'Trump' with 'Republican' and it would still be just as true

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pick posted:

The British literally forced the Chinese to keep it legal at gunpoint.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Ghost Leviathan posted:

The British literally forced the Chinese to keep it legal at gunpoint.

It was the only export that the British could get the Chinese to buy in large quantities. Before discovering the Chinese appetite for opium the only thing that they could trade for Chinese goods was cold, hard cash.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Krankenstyle posted:

smoking opium happened in dens which were off limits to women (because they were often also bordellos)

im pretty sure most successful bordellos had at least a few women on the premises

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
lolouisiana fishermen

TCHAFALAYA BASIN, Louisiana — The men who rely on the waters here to make a living were confident that President Donald Trump and his administration would help them clean up their swamp.

But with Trump's EPA administrator, Scott Pruitt, facing a litany of ethics investigations and the administration moving to deregulate parts of the oil and gas industry, their hopes are shifting to an even higher plane.

"I put it in God’s hands," said Ben Bienvenu, a third-generation crawfisherman, from his fishing boat last week. "Nobody wants to listen. God will make them listen."
About 300 crawfishermen still work on these waters. Twenty years ago, there were more than 3,000. They bemoan the lack of action by state and federal government agencies to defend the natural swampland that oil and gas companies have disrupted over the last 60 years.
Meche is the de facto spokesman for the crawfishermen. He’s also the president of the Louisiana Crawfish Producers Association.

A month after the president's inauguration, Meche told NBC news that he thought the new president would be "bold enough to make the right changes to where we start taking care of our environment better."

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

A month after the president's inauguration, Meche told NBC news that he thought the new president would be "bold enough to make the right changes to where we start taking care of our environment better."

An utterly reasonable expectation given Donald's campaign promises.

Did these people listen at all?

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

TotalLossBrain posted:

You had us at "the swamp".

A Buttery Pastry has issued a correction as of 08:08 on Jun 24, 2018

Trazz
Jun 11, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

No, these are people who, when repeatedly warned that the stove was hot, slammed their palms down onto the stove and held them there until they started sizzling

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

TotalLossBrain posted:

these guys did listen and heard all his crap about small business so figured he must’ve meant removing all those limits on fishing when he talked about removing regulations

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

lolouisiana fishermen

TCHAFALAYA BASIN, Louisiana — The men who rely on the waters here to make a living were confident that President Donald Trump and his administration would help them clean up their swamp.

But with Trump's EPA administrator, Scott Pruitt, facing a litany of ethics investigations and the administration moving to deregulate parts of the oil and gas industry, their hopes are shifting to an even higher plane.

"I put it in God’s hands," said Ben Bienvenu, a third-generation crawfisherman, from his fishing boat last week. "Nobody wants to listen. God will make them listen."
About 300 crawfishermen still work on these waters. Twenty years ago, there were more than 3,000. They bemoan the lack of action by state and federal government agencies to defend the natural swampland that oil and gas companies have disrupted over the last 60 years.
Meche is the de facto spokesman for the crawfishermen. He’s also the president of the Louisiana Crawfish Producers Association.

lmao what the christ

jerry seinfel
Jun 25, 2007

I was at a bougie rear end brunch place near my house before the election and there was a mom and daughter arguing about trump

The daughter was a teacher saying how he was going to ruin the educational system, put her out of work, was a racist, and so on

The mom said he obviously didn't MEAN the bad stuff, he was just saying it to play to the rubes, he's actually going to stick up for workers and so on but he needs to get elected so he can #MAGA

these people heard what he said, but they all think someone else is getting conned and that they know what's really going on

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

jerry seinfel posted:

I was at a bougie rear end brunch place near my house before the election and there was a mom and daughter arguing about trump

The daughter was a teacher saying how he was going to ruin the educational system, put her out of work, was a racist, and so on

The mom said he obviously didn't MEAN the bad stuff, he was just saying it to play to the rubes, he's actually going to stick up for workers and so on but he needs to get elected so he can #MAGA

these people heard what he said, but they all think someone else is getting conned and that they know what's really going on

i laugh at these morons but then i remember how much i projected what i wanted onto obama in 2008

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Shear Modulus posted:

i laugh at these morons but then i remember how much i projected what i wanted onto obama in 2008

Trump pretty much just stole Obama's playbook and went nuts with it; say whatever poo poo you want, promise the moon, people are desperate and your opponent couldn't sell ice cream to arabs so they'll hear what they desperately want to hear

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Shear Modulus posted:

:same:

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

TotalLossBrain posted:

I guess he took cleaning the swamp literally.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
hillary clinton intentionally toned down her campaign rhetoric to avoid overpromising and underdelivering like obama

clockworx
Oct 15, 2005
The Internet Whore made me buy this account

As the very common saying goes, "God helps those who gently caress themselves."

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
Obama basically governed on his campaign platform though? Most of the deficiencies came from the deciding votes in Congress belonging to blue dogs and Joe Lieberman or people projecting their own agenda onto him. The idea that Trump and Obama are any way equivalent as bait and switch candidates is dumb as hell.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

whydirt posted:

Obama basically governed on his campaign platform though? Most of the deficiencies came from the deciding votes in Congress belonging to blue dogs and Joe Lieberman or people projecting their own agenda onto him. The idea that Trump and Obama are any way equivalent as bait and switch candidates is dumb as hell.

Bullshit. Do you not remember the "grand bargain" Obama tried to pull back in 2011? The one that didn't harm the poor enough?

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

The Dipshit posted:

Bullshit. Do you not remember the "grand bargain" Obama tried to pull back in 2011? The one that didn't harm the poor enough?

2009 obama pushed through healthcare reform, bank regulation, and a stimulus package that stopped us from hemorrhaging jobs

2011 obama was slobbin on gop knobs to make bad deals

its almost as if something happened in 2010 that vastly weakened his power to promote legislation

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007

2009 obama pushed through healthcare reform, bank regulation, and a stimulus package that stopped us from hemorrhaging jobs

its almost as if something happened in 2010 that vastly weakened his power to promote legislation

I love how many people pretend he didnt lose all support from the lower branches after 2010 but -shrug-

logikv9
Mar 5, 2009

Ham Wrangler
Trump make opioids free and easily available in Red States and you will be considered the best president of all time

DiscountDildos
Nov 8, 2017

https://mobile.twitter.com/diceman10000/status/1010164442749898752

trump plz stock pain pills at every country kitchen buffet and stuffed into the unlimited breadsticks at olive garden

https://twitter.com/diceman10000/status/1010712988595163136?s=19

Cryin like a baby black man over here

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

lolouisiana fishermen

The Midwest is literally poisoning the Mississippi down to the delta.
http://www.omaha.com/news/nebraska/...955c14948b.html

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Nothing was wayyy better than that "Grand Bargain" poo poo, he didn't have to play ball at all.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

AkumaHokoru posted:

I love how many people pretend he didnt lose all support from the lower branches after 2010 but -shrug-

trump and the republicans have already gotten more of their particular brand of corporate fascist agenda through than obama and the democrats even attempted to do in the two years they had an actual supermajority, lmao at anyone still defending the controlled opposition party

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
the grand bargain was garbage policy and garbage politics
that doesn't change that it came about in response to major dem loses in midterms after achieving a bunch of what obama campaigned on.

the bitcoin of weed posted:

trump and the republicans have already gotten more of their particular brand of corporate fascist agenda through than obama and the democrats even attempted to do in the two years they had an actual supermajority, lmao at anyone still defending the controlled opposition party

trump's done a bunch of executive orders and appointments, which is great if your goal is to sabotage government and gently caress over vulnerable people, not so useful for enacting progressive policies that the next guy can't just undo. obama used executive orders to protect dreamers and now they may be hosed.

anything that requires money must go through congress, which is why president bernie can't executive order medicare for all any more than trump can build his lovely wall

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.
Obama certainly was not infallible but I liked him and definitely wish he was somehow still President :shrug: