Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Chandler Jones had 34 QB hits. .5 each gives him 17 pts over the season. .75 gives him 25.5 points extra.

Chris Long had 20. 10 or 15pts extra over the season.

Michael Bennett had 24. 12 or 18pts extra over the season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Spermy Smurf posted:

Double edit:

Did I get it?

This is right, yeah, I'm pretty sure. You always lose 2 points for fumbling the ball, you always gain 2 points for recovering a fumble regardless of whose fumble it was. The confusingest part is "Own" could refer to the player himself only, or to his whole team... but that description says it refers to his whole team.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Updated all salaries.

Incremented everyone by $1, that did 85% of them because up to $14 they all increase by 1.

Then went through everyone higher than $14 and used my excel sheet on the other screen to manually update them.

Edit: Emailed everyone. Hope I didnt miss anyone. It was my contact group from last year. We didnt lose anyone I don't think.

Spermy Smurf fucked around with this message at 14:35 on Mar 26, 2018

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I think I'm in favor of doing .75 for QB hits.

Is there any thing else we need to weigh in on at this point?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I need to update the rules doc, and we should consider when we want to open the league for drops and trades. I think Spermy is in favor of doing it sooner rather than later, and I don't really care, but I think the rule that you need to pay your dues before making draft pick trades still totally applies. The spirit of that rule is that we want owners to commit to a season before maybe screwing up the team for that season.

I think as I go through the rules to make updates, we have some items to consider that I'll bring up. Off the top of my head, the details of taxi squad theft seemed to be problematic last year, and we brought up the idea of compensatory picks.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

I need to update the rules doc, and we should consider when we want to open the league for drops and trades. I think Spermy is in favor of doing it sooner rather than later, and I don't really care, but I think the rule that you need to pay your dues before making draft pick trades still totally applies. The spirit of that rule is that we want owners to commit to a season before maybe screwing up the team for that season.

I think as I go through the rules to make updates, we have some items to consider that I'll bring up. Off the top of my head, the details of taxi squad theft seemed to be problematic last year, and we brought up the idea of compensatory picks.

Yeah, I'm in favor of opening it up sooner than we did last year.

We've got to do drops to get people under the salary cap limit. But before people do that I want to talk trades with a few people. They're going to be dropping people anyway, so lets trade.

Everyone needs to pay before they are allowed to do anything, that's a good rule and something I sort of assumed was already implemented.

The taxi squad stuff for sure needs to be changed. Rule update, not MFL update. We didn't specify, but requiring compensation won 6-4. I had attached the image from the other league as a guideline.

We'd just have to tweak that, cap it at like 4th or 5th round pick since we dont really draft past pick 4 or 5 anymore. Maybe it should have something about the "top 4 picks" because those are all $20 and the others in round 1 are not.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm a bit hesitant about this in that it means you effectively can't steal a taxi squad guy without paying your dues in advance for the following year, because you're giving up draft picks for future drafts in order to steal a player. I think in practice it'll mean nobody ever steals. Which... OK, if that's the way we want to go.

Actually wait, do compensatory picks came out of nowhere rather than from the stealing owner? So if I steal your third-round rookie in year 1, you get bonus 2019 pick(s) to compensate you, but I don't give up anything, I just get the player?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
It's paying dues in advance, you deal your future draft picks. Having people pay a year in advance isn't a bad thing, it assures that they are coming back.

It works well enough from what I've seen. We could lighten it a lot, I'm not opposed to that at all.

By week 3 there weren't any players at all on taxi squads. Right? None worth taking at least. Everyone just rushed to put in claims because there is absolutely no drawback to placing a claim.

I had claims on all 3 of my taxi guys by week 2. Leper had the same. McLean had two claims I think.

Making us give up something would prevent that.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Yeah that's fair enough. What do you think would specifically be a good price?

We can't ignore that there's a limit to the usefulness of future draft picks, especially early-round ones, because they have a significant hit on your cap space. If I have three taxi guys stolen in a year, and I wind up with 5 extra picks for next year, there's no way I'm ever gonna be able to use all those picks. They have trade value, but only with other owners who have paid for next year's draft, and they all know I have no choice but to dump picks or wind up just not using them and that lowers the picks' trade value.

I suppose if the taxi squad is less prone to theft, then it becomes easier to use your extra draft picks because you can stash guys on your squad and avoid the salary cap hit...

Yeah just thinking it through I guess it might work, and it's worth giving it a try.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

We can't ignore that there's a limit to the usefulness of future draft picks, especially early-round ones, because they have a significant hit on your cap space. If I have three taxi guys stolen in a year, and I wind up with 5 extra picks for next year, there's no way I'm ever gonna be able to use all those picks.

With the proposed changes (whatever they end up being) you could actually keep a $20 top 4 pick on your taxi until he develops a bit. WR's don't do much the first year or even two, so letting him develop and not bust your cap would be helpful. Keeping $40 on your taxi squad will be pretty normal if we implement some fair way to balance compensation.

Corey Davis. Corey Coleman. Samjae Perine. Zay Jones.

Those guys can sit on taxi squads. They aren't startable (yet), and they're only rostered because of the fear of stealing. They all cost $18-22.

There are a lot more of them too.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Right. Last year there were a ton of theft attempt and none were successful. Meanwhile, lots of folks had non startable rookies sitting on the roster. By the end of the season most ts were barren, because of the theft rules.

I think that those comp are a bit high, but losing at least the original pick in value, probably plus a round, is reasonable.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
How about limiting taxi squad theft attempts per year (2 sounds like a good number), and also on a squad claim the owner has the option to keep with a choice - add to the main squad OR upping their salary by an amount to keep them in the taxi squad ($10 increase?). This would allow for more taxi squad usage without hurting the owner too much to keep a player there.

Another thought is to use FA auction money to effectively try to buy a taxi squad player off another roster - you have to pay existing salary plus some percentage or number to try to steal, and if you do steal the bought salary is now that player's true salary.

Tossing pasta at the wall here!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Limiting the number of thefts does seem reasonable. I'm not sure if upping a taxi squad player's salary would matter too much, since they count $0 against the cap, but I guess it matters in future years. I do like the idea that one of the things we can use to compensate for a theft aside from draft picks is FAAB dollars.

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
The thought about upping salary of a taxi player is that you are compensating for perceived value, as the claim is to start that week on another roster or move to the main squad WITH EXTRA SALARY ADDED, which could make for salary cap implications. Essentially isn't the idea of the taxi squad to have developmental players there? If a player is getting stolen I would think that means the player is probably good enough to be on a main roster somewhere. Also there is (and I am surprised this has not happened IIRC) the possibility of trading the taxi player while the claim is ongoing.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
I don't hate the idea of bidding with FAAB on taxi players. If you want him, pay for him. That's interesting.

Make it salary+5 or something so it's not stealing the $1 guys.

I guess I would rather stick to comp picks since you basically lose one by losing a taxi player though.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We have 45 days before preseason games start. We can't wait as long as we did last year, plus this year we need to implement changes before unlocking. The league needs to be open for trading before the rookie draft, and we need to figure out the rookie draft order.

Lets get the commish's together on a group chat and nail down the changes.

Anyone else want to weigh in before we randomly decide based on all of the input from the polls and chatter here?

Edit: And we've got a few busted salary caps that could be brought down via trades (to me).

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

Spermy Smurf posted:

We have 45 days before preseason games start. We can't wait as long as we did last year, plus this year we need to implement changes before unlocking. The league needs to be open for trading before the rookie draft, and we need to figure out the rookie draft order.

Lets get the commish's together on a group chat and nail down the changes.

Anyone else want to weigh in before we randomly decide based on all of the input from the polls and chatter here?

Edit: And we've got a few busted salary caps that could be brought down via trades (to me).

Caps don't need to be unbusted until the FA acquisition, no?

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Zauper posted:

Caps don't need to be unbusted until the FA acquisition, no?

Ooooh lookee here! Little Mister Rule Reader is here! Everyone, look at the guy who understands how the league is run and doesn't just shitpost.

Yes, that's right, or something like 3 days in advance so we can all do that horrible blind-bid-programming-thing we did last year on the guys that are dropped.

And then the rookie draft.

Or vice versa.

I don't know, I dont read the rules and try not to abide by them if I can help it.

Either way: Lets get this poo poo sorted out becuase there are actual rule changes that require some consensus between the commish's if no one else has any other ideas. That's gonna take us 20 days anyway...

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I'm in the west coast, Pacific time, and am available for live chat from maybe 7pm to maybe 11pm, usually, but with a break for dinner and possibly anything else I want to do with my wife.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004

Leperflesh posted:

and possibly anything else I want to do with my wife.

Arguing about finances doesn't usually take me that long. You gotta step up your game.

Teemu Pokemon
Jun 19, 2004

To sign them is my real test

With full no movement clause
The hangout chat we had worked for me. I work from 9 to ~5:30 eastern but can check my phone intermittently during that time (usually around 1:30)

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Good. I spammed the chat. Someone respond so I know it actually works.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I don't know which chat you mean but I didn't get any notifications, and the league chat on MFL is empty, so I have no idea

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
There's a google chat titled "I Paid What Commish Chat" that I spammed.

It says you two are members so I dunno.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

For whatever reason I had to be re-added or something, maybe I "left the conversation" or who loving knows, but it's working now.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Alright all, here's the rule doc.

We've made the rule changes and I'll list them all here for discussion. I've highlighted all of the changes that we've made (I think). We can revisit them if needed but I think we did pretty good. It's going to be a yearly tune-up I think.

First and foremost: Everyone please pay your dues if you haven't already. We've got 2 months or something like that, but we'd like to unlock the league more than 3 days in advance of a draft like we did last year. Last year was hectic, I'm not doing that again.

Section 2 posted:

The annual purse is 12 teams x $25 = $300
First place gets $160
Second place gets $80
Third place gets $40
Fourth Place gets $20
Winner of the consolation bracket gets 1.13

We have changed so that 4th place gets $20 and the Consolation Bracket winner gets 1.13. It used to be that the consolation bracket winner got a bunch of poo poo and 4th got nothing.

Section 3.2 posted:

Rosters will consist of the following: 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 FLEX (RB/WR/TE), 1 LB, 1DB, 1DL, 3 FLEX (LB/DB/DL), 2 IR slots, and an active bench of 12 slots, for a maximum team size of 27 players. In addition are 4 slots for taxi squads. For more info on Taxi squads go to section 9.

Updated this to show 3 defensive flex, plus 4 taxi squad slots.

Section 4.3, consolation bracket posted:

We haven't updated this yet.

We talked about the consolation bracket being 2 weeks long and including 6 teams. We need to find a way to do the winner there. 2 week bestball maybe?

Section 5.3 posted:

QB Hits: .75 points
Fumble Recoveries: 2 points

Added QB hits and previously had changed Fumble Recoveries.

Section 7.1 posted:

After the first year (that is, beginning in fall 2016), prior to the beginning of the regular NFL season, there is an annual Rookie Draft, followed a few days later by a Free Agent draft.

Rookie draft first, followed by the FA auction. This is going to be a live auction for all of the free agents. That tiered-bullshit we did last year was terrible. Some people bid more on certain players but because of the odd tiering rules the highest bid did not win. We've decided it's better just to do a FA auction live, just like the rookie draft. It's going to be like 15 players so it'll be really quick.

Section 7.3.2 posted:

Just prior to the Rookie Draft, a Commissioner will add Four temporary bench slots to all teams unless their Taxi Squad is already full, then the commish will add just enough extra slots to fill your taxi squad.

Now that we have rookies and sophomores we'll need to add just extra slots for the empty taxi slots.

Section 7.4.1 posted:

In the first round, the first four picks are paid $17
In the first round, the fifth through eighth picks are paid $15
In the first round, the ninth through twelfth picks, plus the compensatory 1.13 pick, are paid $13
In the second round, the first through fourth picks are paid $11
In the second round, the fifth through eighth picks are paid $9
In the second round, the ninth through twelfth picks are paid $7
All players drafted in the third round are paid $5
All players drafted in the fourth round are paid $3
All remaining drafted players (fifth and later rounds) are paid $1

:siren:This is the big one:siren:

We have changed the rookie salaries. Now it's a sliding scale starting slightly lower than before. It's more of a gradual decrease in salaries versus the large jumps we had before.

Section 9, Taxi Squads posted:

Rookies (as defined by the NFL) and sophomores (players who were officially NFL rookies the previous football season) that have never been started in a match by any Owner can be placed onto the Taxi squad. Once a player is activated (locked into a starting position at the beginning of a game their team is in) by an Owner, it cannot be placed back on a taxi squad.

I think I talked about this earlier. Taxi squads can hold rookies and sophomores. You can't put anyone who has started a game onto the taxi squad, that part hasn't changed.

"Section 9.10, Steals posted:

• To initiate a steal requires $5 FAAB to be removed by the commish once a steal goes through. No steal means no $5 fee.
  • You must also send a trade to the person you are stealing from consisting of a compensatory draft pick that aligns with when the player was drafted. Example: Stealing a player that was drafted in the 3rd round requires you to send next years 3rd round pick for that player as well as announcing the steal to the league in the aforementioned methods. Note: This requires you to pay your dues a year in advance.

So to do a steal you need to send a trade, announce it to the league, and if the trade goes through it also takes $5 from your FAAB. This is a compromise between steals requiring 2 picks, or later round picks or anything like that.

:siren:This means that you need to pay your dues for a year in advance in order to initiate a steal.
:siren:

Other than the consolation bracket I think that's it.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
We have dues from leper, zauper, chen (partial credit), epi lepi, zack, spermy, teemu
We need dues from stevie, swarmin swedes, vecna, bloody, and tyler

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
just to make sure I get it right, how much and to what PayPal address?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Dues are $30.83, and you can send them to my user name at gmail dot com, or I have another email address I've circulated to the league before which is also fine if you still have that around.

Chen Kenichi only needs to pay $10.83, because he applied last year's $20 winnings to the dues for this year.

Please do not mention or hint at fantasy football or sports gambling in the payment. Paypal still forbids this use of their service and two years ago I received a warning and temporary account suspension because someone mentioned fantasy football. They have scripts that scan all payment comments looking for keywords so as long as we avoid those keywords we're fine.

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
gambling debts sent

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Got it! Thanks

Chen Kenichi
Jul 20, 2001
Debt to society paid in full.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Received and recorded, thank you sir.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Is there still someone watching this thread looking for a team? I love the design of this league but am way too terrible to compete so I am considering bowing out

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Alfalfa was it?

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Bloody posted:

Is there still someone watching this thread looking for a team? I love the design of this league but am way too terrible to compete so I am considering bowing out

Spermy Smurf posted:

Alfalfa was it?

I’d be more than happy to take over.

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
The team is Garbage in division 3. You can rename it and I will make you a lovely graphic.

If you are both on board I can change the owner, just need an email for Alfalfa.

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

Alright! Alfalfa - best of luck with this trash fire; I'm excited to see what you do with it. Rest of the league - it's been a pleasure losing to yall!

Spermy Smurf
Jul 2, 2004
Welcome aboard Alfalfa.

I honestly forgot the league was open so I could fix my poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfalfa
Apr 24, 2003

Superman Don't Need No Seat Belt

Spermy Smurf posted:

Welcome aboard Alfalfa.

I honestly forgot the league was open so I could fix my poo poo.

Thanks

I’ll get paid in for at least 2018 tomorrow.

In the mean time, come get these contracts!!

Who wants a $59 Dez Bryant contract :lol:

Bloody your team wasn’t/isn’t that bad. I’ve taken over way worse orphans so thanks.