Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

HIJK posted:

I'm watching Babylon 5. It's weird but I like it. There's a giant rear end space cricket just hanging out in the smoke machine room what the eff. Many people in weird make up sitting around conference tables yelling at each other so it's peak Trek.

At times it really does remind me of the TOS movie era, especially later on when they change up Medlab and show the bridges of some Earth ships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It took me so long watching B5 to realise that some of the paintings decorating their offices and stuff were meant to be scenery out the window.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

It took me so long watching B5 to realise that some of the paintings decorating their offices and stuff were meant to be scenery out the window.

I prefer to view B5 like a taped stage play, on account of some budgetary limitations, but who cares, the writing is stellar.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Pick posted:

It is good in season 1, but it takes off in season 2. I'm a fan of Star Trek (obviously) but my great sci-fi love is Babylon 5.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpb1OXvNNMc

I think its fine.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Pick posted:

I prefer to view B5 like a taped stage play, on account of some budgetary limitations,

And also the mild overuse of the monologue.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
watching ENT: Fusion and holy gently caress this guy has the most punchable face in star trek history

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Low Desert Punk posted:

watching ENT: Fusion and holy gently caress this guy has the most punchable face in star trek history

ahem

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Yeah Keevan is the undisputed champ

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

MikeJF posted:

And also the mild overuse of the monologue.

<:saddowns:> look we all love space stations, let's just be friends

Pick fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Jun 24, 2018

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Pick posted:

:five:

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005

Pick posted:

That is choice

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Pick posted:

:vince:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pick apparently the next episode of Greatest Gen has a guest and they talk about Babylon 5 a little? They teased it earlier this week. Mind if I tweet that at them when it airs? (credit: Pick of SA forums? Twitter handle?)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Pick apparently the next episode of Greatest Gen has a guest and they talk about Babylon 5 a little? They teased it earlier this week. Mind if I tweet that at them when it airs? (credit: Pick of SA forums? Twitter handle?)

Sure but it's not done yet. I intend to finish it up and color it late today probably.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Cool

Bohemian Nights
Jul 14, 2006

When I wake up,
I look into the mirror
I can see a clearer, vision
I should start living today
Clapping Larry
Someone recently mentioned Sector General in the thread, and it just popped into my head, making me google it

and wow, how on earth hasn't this been adapted to television already- especially during that flood of hospital tv dramas we had a while ago.

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

Bohemian Nights posted:

Someone recently mentioned Sector General in the thread, and it just popped into my head, making me google it

and wow, how on earth hasn't this been adapted to television already- especially during that flood of hospital tv dramas we had a while ago.

it's too "intellectual", the only sex is Conway/Murcheson (and all the stuff the sentient crystalline methane creatures get up to), CGI/special effects will cost too much, and our heroes don't shoot bad guys with laser beams?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Bohemian Nights posted:

Probably the same reason Lensman wasn't - because the aliens are actually real loving alien, and it's not like you can just crank 'em down to guys in makeup.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

The Dennis System posted:

This has probably been discussed before, but I just saw an episode of Deep Space Nine where some sort of high level Bajoran guy was doing some important negotiating with a Cardassian, and he was in a accident that almost killed him. To keep the Bajoran alive and functional, Bashir has to replace part of his brain with some sort of artificial positronic implants. Bashir worries that a special "spark of life" will be lost when he puts these artificial brain areas in the Bajoran guy's brain and, sure enough, when the Bajoran is conscious again he says that everything feels different and off. Later on, the Bajoran has some sort of stroke and is near death. Kira wants Bashir to replace the guy's entire brain with a positronic brain, but Bashir says that if he did that the spark of life would be entirely gone from the guy and that they should just let him die. And, sure enough, they just let the guy die. Uhh...that's a pretty big gently caress you to Data, who apparently doesn't have this magical spark of life because his brain is a completely artifical positronic brain. Granted, Data didn't start off as an organic person and then get changed into an artificial person, he was artificial from the start, but still. It's also a pretty big rebuke to people who want to upload their consciousness to a computer or the cloud or whatever, since they wouldn't have this spark of life anymore either. I mean, replacing someone's brain with an artificial brain is problematic, but the whole story line had a little too much of a religious feel for a star trek ep.

Of course on another occasion, Bashir is totally cool mindwiping Worf's brother and reprogramming him with memories of being an entirely different person, thereby killing the actual man who walked into his operating room.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

VitalSigns posted:

Of course on another occasion, Bashir is totally cool mindwiping Worf's brother and reprogramming him with memories of being an entirely different person, thereby killing the actual man who walked into his operating room.

Turns out there's a reason all those Khan style genetic upgrades are hated and feared, eh?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

jng2058 posted:

Turns out there's a reason all those Khan style genetic upgrades are hated and feared, eh?

Is it because they're wildly inconsistent and have bad character arcs

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Pick posted:

Is it because they're wildly inconsistent and have bad character arcs

It's because they'll break out into song at the drop of a hat.

Ceti Alpha V was poo poo to live on, but they had some great singalongs in their cargo containers. :allears:

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Astroman posted:

It's because they'll break out into song at the drop of a hat.

Ceti Alpha V was poo poo to live on, but they had some great singalongs in their cargo containers. :allears:

just think of what Hamilton would have been like if Khan had successfully taken over Earth

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

warden dean stockwell owns

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

which star trek captains would eat rear end

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Low Desert Punk posted:

Kirk, Sisko, Janeway, Lorca

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Low Desert Punk posted:

how do you think you get the gig

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Low Desert Punk posted:

AbsolUTELY Picard. My God, he'd write a sonnet about it.

To what shall I compare this lovely rear end?
No two moons are anywhere akin
in loveliness and roundness or gas pass'd,
as this I chance to place my tongue within

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Low Desert Punk posted:

to quote a popular twenty-first century comedian

"if you don't eat rear end, grow the gently caress up"

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Watched the one with the Albino.

Even though you don't see him till the final act they do a great job of establishing how competent and dangerous he is in one small scene. When everyone starts breaking into his base he pretty much immediately knows what good evening are doing, where they will be, realizes immediately what they've done to their weapons. Here's pretty great

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

I watched the TNG episode where the little girl has the imaginary friend. I love how they jump back and forth between people on the bridge being amazed by the stunning view of the nebula while they are rocked back and forth, to Ten Forward where people are just sitting around bored (and they avoid showing the windows)

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Brawnfire posted:

:five:

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Brawnfire posted:

:ck5:

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Brawnfire posted:

Tell me more!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

CPColin posted:

Tell me more!

You'll have to call again!

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

the ep of enterprise where they accidentally murder an entire planet-full of colonists owns

I love how frequently this crew makes enormous, horrible mistakes that kill thousands

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Just wait til the episode in season four where Enterprise encounters space Nazis and winds up getting 6 million Jews killed.

Archer spends a whole Captain's log dispassionately listing the items that cost him Jewish lives. Like he's proud of it.

Sarcastr0
May 29, 2013

WON'T SOMEBODY PLEASE THINK OF THE BILLIONAIRES ?!?!?

Bohemian Nights posted:

Sector General

No bad guys. All violence is misunderstandings, bad biology, or solved by doubling down on being super-duper nice.

More Trek than Trek?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

"Life Support" (DS9 S0313) was underwhelming because Vedek Bareil hadn't even been mentioned since The Collaborator, which ended with Kira and Bareil embracing like they were now a couple, after having overcome a major test in their relationship. They spent all that time on that build-up, only to send off the relationship with an "I love you" while he's comatose and dying in the next episode. It seemed like Bareil having his brain fully replaced was something that Bashir and Bareil would have previously discussed like a "Do Not Resuscitate" order in our time, but that would have denied Bashir a moral dilemma for the third act. All the previous episodes were great, though.

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 07:07 on Jun 26, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Bajorans all run together.