Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

old.flv posted:

Obama certainly was not infallible but I liked him and definitely wish he was somehow still President :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
poo poo, about now I'd even settle for George W. Bush.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
we tortured some folks

no no we aren’t gonna prosecute

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Meldonox posted:

Gonna take a while for Trump to catch up to his bodycount

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

shirts and skins posted:

Gonna take a while for Trump to catch up to his bodycount

If he doesn't it won't be through lack of effort and desire, that's for drat sure.

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

old.flv posted:

Obama certainly was not infallible but I liked him and definitely wish he was somehow still President :shrug:

Obama was good as far as US presidents go, yeah.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Sometimes I wonder if this country is so loving dumb they have GOP confused with DNC. How the hell do you pull the red lever thinking it's the party of environmental protections.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Obama voters realizing they were gonna die itt

funeral home DJ
Apr 21, 2003

Pillbug

Philthy posted:

Sometimes I wonder if this country is so loving dumb they have GOP confused with DNC. How the hell do you pull the red lever thinking it's the party of environmental protections.

The Carlin quote regarding how dumb the average guy is applies in the US, except the average guy in the US makes poo poo-throwing apes at the zoo look like rocket scientists. Nobody in this world is less informed and as intellectually stunted as your GOP voter and the GOP wouldn’t have it any other way.

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

Meldonox posted:

Bring back Taft and whoever the other fat idiot who fornicated himself to death was.

JUICY HAMBUGAR
Nov 10, 2010

Eating, America's pastime.

ikanreed posted:

Obama voters realizing they were gonna die itt

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

Meldonox posted:

yeah let's not go overboard just yet

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Quicksilver6 posted:

Bring back Taft and whoever the other fat idiot who fornicated himself to death was.

donald j. trump???

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy
it's an open question whether trump will ultimately do more damage than 8 years of bush

but i can definitively say that if trump is president during a 9/11 type attack, the survivors would envy the dead

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

it's an open question whether trump will ultimately do more damage than 8 years of bush

but i can definitively say that if trump is president during a 9/11 type attack, the survivors would envy the dead

We're dumb enough to re-elect him if it happens in his first term. He'd probably have an 80% approval rating while hurling nukes at random countries.

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

I have friends who want me to go to work in Germany with them but I've been resisting moving all the way to Europe. But if another 9/11 popped of I'd be over there tomorrow.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Zeroisanumber posted:

I have friends who want me to go to work in Germany with them but I've been resisting moving all the way to Europe. But if another 9/11 popped of I'd be over there tomorrow.

Lol Europe won't save you

Embrace Xi or perish

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Dreddout posted:

Lol Europe won't save you

Embrace Xi or perish

Xi is a pile of poo poo.

Jedi Knight Luigi
Jul 13, 2009

Zeroisanumber posted:

I always wonder how people do this without marrying. Are you dating these friends? Tourist visas are 3 months max.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
usually it takes getting a job there that's willing to sponsor you for a resident visa of some sort

and depending on where you go that'll be time limited in some way or just tie you to your employer super hard

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Quicksilver6 posted:

That one British king with the custom gently caress chair?

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Jedi Knight Luigi posted:

I always wonder how people do this without marrying. Are you dating these friends? Tourist visas are 3 months max.

French girlfriend.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Edward VII!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

yeah obama couldn't have passed medicare for all but there are many things he could have done as president that he just didnt want to.

the decision to not prosecute a single bank executive for any of the uncountable instances of outright fraud and instead enshrine a doctrine that says executives are above the law was an executive decision. any of those cases would be an open-and-shut RICO case where the government seizes their assets and throws them in jail.
the decision to bail out the banks by buying all their toxic waste poo poo assets at the bullshit valuation was a decision of the Fed, whose governors are entirely appointed by the president (and fireable by the president). the government under obama could have instead let the banks fail and make the shareholders and bondholders eat poo poo.
related to the above, instead of buying the banks' worthless garbage assets, the government could have bought the banks themselves (for cheap, once they had failed). now the banks are under government control. then, under government management, the banks are directed to actually lend to businesses, infrastructure investments, green energy R&D, and other things that would make the economy actually function instead of the only investments being made from 2008 to present having been in speculative bullshit.

obama taking any sort of this kind of action (that was entirely within his constitutional powers) that actually fucks the rich and makes the economy function for normal people again (which it hasnt since carter) would have led to absolute Democratic control of the government for fifty years.

and im not even mentioning the things he could have got through congress if he was willing to campaign for them. in early 2009, when the stimulus was being negotiated (the stimulus that ended up being half tax cuts, that were useless as stimulus at best and actively harmful to investment and productivity at worst), obama had just been elected in the bigliest blowout in 30 years. any republican at that point would have rolled over for fear of losing their seat.

Shear Modulus has issued a correction as of 06:35 on Jun 25, 2018

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Philthy posted:

I mean, that's not limited to the US. I recall someone posting a survey of (a specific type of) voters in the UK, where IIRC a large majority identified the policies of Corbyn's Labour (significantly to the left of someone like Bernie) with the Tories (essentially the GOP). Apparently a lot of people are just monumentally misinformed.

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

Shear Modulus posted:

yeah obama couldn't have passed medicare for all but there are many things he could have done as president that he just didnt want to.

the decision to not prosecute a single bank executive for any of the uncountable instances of outright fraud and instead enshrine a doctrine that says executives are above the law was an executive decision. any of those cases would be an open-and-shut RICO case where the government seizes their assets and throws them in jail.
the decision to bail out the banks by buying all their toxic waste poo poo assets at the bullshit valuation was a decision of the Fed, whose governors are entirely appointed by the president (and fireable by the president). the government under obama could have instead let the banks fail and make the shareholders and bondholders eat poo poo.
related to the above, instead of buying the banks' worthless garbage assets, the government could have bought the banks themselves (for cheap, once they had failed). now the banks are under government control. then, under government management, the banks are directed to actually lend to businesses, infrastructure investments, green energy R&D, and other things that would make the economy actually function instead of the only investments being made from 2008 to present having been in speculative bullshit.

obama taking any sort of this kind of action (that was entirely within his constitutional powers) that actually fucks the rich and makes the economy function for normal people again (which it hasnt since carter) would have led to absolute Democratic control of the government for fifty years.

and im not even mentioning the things he could have got through congress if he was willing to campaign for them. in early 2009, when the stimulus was being negotiated (the stimulus that ended up being half tax cuts, that were useless as stimulus at best and actively harmful to investment and productivity at worst), obama had just been elected in the bigliest blowout in 30 years. any republican at that point would have rolled over for fear of losing their seat.

Shear Modulus posted:

i laugh at these morons but then i remember how much i projected what i wanted onto obama in 2008

you're right, you were projecting as bad as a trumpanzee if you thought obama campaigned on any of that.

also, this is political fan-fiction. the key bank bailouts were put in place by gw bush, not obama; the idea of just letting banks fail is a rightwing pipe dream, when bush tried it in 2008 it greatly accelerated the economic freefall; there was no legal mechanism for the government to seize a failing bank and screw the shareholders until the financial reform bill passed by dems in 2009; the president can fire the fed board (in the middle of an historic economic crisis), but any replacements need senate confirmation; finally, "any republican...would have rolled over" lol, just lol

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

A Buttery Pastry posted:

I mean, that's not limited to the US. I recall someone posting a survey of (a specific type of) voters in the UK, where IIRC a large majority identified the policies of Corbyn's Labour (significantly to the left of someone like Bernie) with the Tories (essentially the GOP). Apparently a lot of people are just monumentally misinformed.

If you do what conventional wisdom tells you is necessary to be informed, eg reading the local newspaper and/or watching the evening news, it's basically impossible to come into any contact with any actual facts and instead you get an unending torrent of bullshit

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

you're right, you were projecting as bad as a trumpanzee if you thought obama campaigned on any of that.

also, this is political fan-fiction. the key bank bailouts were put in place by gw bush, not obama; the idea of just letting banks fail is a rightwing pipe dream, when bush tried it in 2008 it greatly accelerated the economic freefall; there was no legal mechanism for the government to seize a failing bank and screw the shareholders until the financial reform bill passed by dems in 2009; the president can fire the fed board (in the middle of an historic economic crisis), but any replacements need senate confirmation; finally, "any republican...would have rolled over" lol, just lol

were you not around in october 2018-early 2019? the received wisdom among our nation's Thought Leadership was that the republican party was close to dead as a going concern. you had a 30-year republican senator literally switch parties and vote party-line democrat out of a transparent and ultimately vain attempt to stay employed.

the idea of "letting the banks fail" is not restricted to "just let the banks fail and hope the free market, peace be upon Him, sorts it out." in 2009 under the auto bailout (one of the most significant positive actions of the obama presidency), the government purchased a controlling share of a bankrupt GM, managed it to not be a financially-bloated PoS speculative bubble company (a significant part of pre-crash GM's assets were lovely auto loans which is largely why it went bankrupt), and kept a large part of america's manufacturing economt intact. if the government had applied the wall street model to GM the company would have shut down all its factories and sold all its toxic waste not-going-to-be-repaid worthless auto loans to the fed at par. there is no reason why the government couldnt have done the same to the big banks except for political decisions.

the fact that the president needs senate confirmation of fed board of governors appointees is immaterial in 2009. the democrats had a 60-seat majority.

im well aware that the idea of obama taking decisive action to fix the economy and not just bail out the rich is fan fiction, yes.

with regards to what i projected onto obama it was mostly that i believed it when he said he would take action on global warming and withdraw troops from iraq.

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
Get this succ zone poo poo out of here.

Edit:

http://business.financialpost.com/transportation/its-a-nightmare-scenario-industry-experts-warn-of-effects-of-trumps-auto-tariffs

quote:

Desrosiers estimates that such tariffs could lead to job losses of between 300,000 and 500,000, with most of those being in the U.S. A Petersen Institute for International Economics report estimates that 195,000 U.S. workers would lose their jobs if the tariffs are imposed. The figure would jump to 624,000 jobs if other countries retaliate with their own tariffs.

The_Politics_Man has issued a correction as of 08:23 on Jun 25, 2018

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

Shear Modulus posted:

were you not around in october 2018-early 2019? the received wisdom among our nation's Thought Leadership was that the republican party was close to dead as a going concern. you had a 30-year republican senator literally switch parties and vote party-line democrat out of a transparent and ultimately vain attempt to stay employed.

Either give us access to your time machine, or a few months to get there. Just don't spoil the deathcount ahead of time.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

More Trump voter tears less rehashing of feuds

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Shear Modulus posted:

If you do what conventional wisdom tells you is necessary to be informed, eg reading the local newspaper and/or watching the evening news, it's basically impossible to come into any contact with any actual facts and instead you get an unending torrent of bullshit
True, but the ideologies of the mainstream parties as presented in mainstream news are still generally true to the ideology of those parties, it's just that their ideologies are lies. These people seem to be too thick to actually understand the ideological programming coming out of mainstream news, except for the base level of "This party good, this party bad" and then just fill in what they intuitively think of as good. Intellectually, that's definitely a level below the people who are tricked into believing an ideology that goes against their interests.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
The UK literally has a law requiring the media to give equal and accurate coverage to major parties in elections in the week leading up to them, and Corbyn's approval ratings skyrocketed during that week. Aggressive disinformation is the norm for media when not actively forced to cover what's in front of them.

420 Gank Mid
Dec 26, 2008

WARNING: This poster is a huge bitch!

https://twitter.com/FernRiddell/status/904618882861817856

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Imagine the smell of that thing

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Nah, french president Félix Faure

https://fr.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%A9lix_Faure

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1011207375989207041

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

Finally, more of that good poo poo. :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lmao

https://twitter.com/RawStory/status/1011209185877544960