Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee
Seems extremely petty and childish to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

I like that football weekly has just slowly become a Barry ASMR podcast

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did jimbo really leave over some refused travel?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

julian assflange posted:

Did jimbo really leave over some refused travel?

No

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I have a vague recollection of Jimbo making a joke about the Guardian not sending him anywhere in an interview with someone, but I'm pretty sure they were in Brazil in 2014 so I assumed it was a joke?

e:

I mentioned this in the match day thread:

Ninpo posted:

Jimbo on TFS podcast had the balls to raise this question after all the others I listen to have varied between not mentioning it AT ALL to heavily veiled comments about Russia's performance. The guests on the pod clearly felt their inner lawyers clench up and quickly dismissed it.

I was wondering if any of them would raise the question, slightly surprised the Ramble didn't at least joke about it.

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 16:57 on Jun 25, 2018

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.
Barry made several references to Russia making a "surprisingly improved" performance at a sporting event held in Russia, and mentioned Spain in the same sentence. Someone even noted it on the previous page here.

I'm fairly sure the Ramble has alluded to it as well, but in a very veiled fashion and moved on very quickly

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

webmeister posted:

Barry made several references to Russia making a "surprisingly improved" performance at a sporting event held in Russia, and mentioned Spain in the same sentence. Someone even noted it on the previous page here.

I'm fairly sure the Ramble has alluded to it as well, but in a very veiled fashion and moved on very quickly

I think yesterday he was talking about their "injection of enthusiasm" as well.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Pete Donaldson on the Ramble started saying he was fed up of all the talk about Russia’s ‘energy’ for a few seconds before Marcus shut him down a few episodes ago.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

generally I prefer posted:

I think yesterday he was talking about their "injection of enthusiasm" as well.

Phillipe Auclair said that and a few other similarly thinly disguised references

Dirk Pitt
Sep 14, 2007

haha yes, this feels good

Toilet Rascal
I've been enjoying TFS, I miss Barry and Jimbo, but like the editing on TFS much better.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I don't think TFS came out of the "which regulars on FW followed them" part as well as FW did.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!
I’m just glad I don’t have to listen to bloody Ian Macintosh on FW ever again and Max is doing a good job. I miss Jimbo’s puns and that’s about it. Also TFS has Julien Laurens who is also insufferable.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

julian assflange posted:

Phillipe Auclair said that and a few other similarly thinly disguised references

Phillipe Auclair loving rules.

generally I prefer
Apr 17, 2006

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

I’m just glad I don’t have to listen to bloody Ian Macintosh on FW ever again and Max is doing a good job. I miss Jimbo’s puns and that’s about it. Also TFS has Julien Laurens who is also insufferable.

blue footed boobie posted:

These are both good and correct opinions.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

The answer is, mate, because I want to do you slowly. There has to be a bit of sport in this for all of us. In the psychological battle stakes, we are stripped down and ready to go. I want to see those ashen-faced performances; I want more of them. I want to be encouraged. I want to see you squirm.

blue footed boobie posted:

Agreed, I think he's the best pundit across any of the podcasts I've listened to. Just wish he was on more often.

Jimbo's puns were great, but the best thing was his unexpected grime knowledge

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

webmeister posted:

Agreed, I think he's the best pundit across any of the podcasts I've listened to. Just wish he was on more often.

Yeah, he's great. Knowledgeable without coming off too smug, virtually impossible for a Frenchman...

I understand people not liking Macintosh, but the major bonus of the split for me is that never have to listen to Rafa Honigstein on it again. I remember hearing on one of the pods back at Euro 2016 that he, Marcotti and Gium loving Balague were sharing a flat together for the tournament *shudder*

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
James horncastle is the worst and looking at him makes me feel physically ill

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

RideTheSpiral posted:

James horncastle is the worst and looking at him makes me feel physically ill

I can see that, but never found him too bad. He reminds me of some sort of Enlightenment explorer who gets really immersed foreign cultures, but still acting and sounding like a public school boy.

From memory, he doesn't seem to take himself too seriously, either.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

Remember that time Rafa Honigstein had a weird-rear end meltdown about teams constantly changing managers and then not getting invited back on the pod for a year

Good times

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

Baz both forgetting about the game he live blogged and then dropping in hints about crossing paths with AC Jimbo was quite good.

I should really tune back in for the Ramble too because I'm sure the lid is completely off for the England hopes this time after the 6-1.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

webmeister posted:

Remember that time Rafa Honigstein had a weird-rear end meltdown about teams constantly changing managers and then not getting invited back on the pod for a year

Good times

Was that during the period where they were all saying the only right thing was for Leicester to go down with Ranieri rather than save themselves with a manager change? That I think was the time the pod was as a collective its dumbest about a football related topic.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Max couldn’t think of a single great keeper who wears short sleeves.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bobby Digital posted:

Max couldn’t think of a single great keeper who wears short sleeves.

I can see two in my head but sadly can't remember their loving names. As a third didn't Higuita wear short sleeves?

Ninpo fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jun 29, 2018

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

Ninpo posted:

I can see two in my head but sadly can't remember their loving names. As a third didn't Higuita wear short sleeves?

Think Higuita just pushed his sleeves up to his elbows

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bobby Digital posted:

Think Higuita just pushed his sleeves up to his elbows

Well this embarrassingly makes 5 because I forgot about Gigi and Casillas lol

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me

Ninpo posted:

Well this embarrassingly makes 5 because I forgot about Gigi and Casillas lol

I like where this thread is going

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

Xabi
Jan 21, 2006

Inventor of the Marmite pasty

paddyboat posted:

I like where this thread is going

I remember Reina was subbed on as a midfielder in a summer friendly. In a normal kit he looked massive compared to the others.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

He said "great keeper"

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

Xabi posted:

I remember Reina was subbed on as a midfielder in a summer friendly. In a normal kit he looked massive compared to the others.

There was a match where David James played outfield in the last few minutes trying to equalize. He also looked out of scale to all the other players.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The Argentine woman with the cartoonish English accent is really bad.

Sneaks McDevious
Jul 29, 2010

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Seltzer posted:

Idk she sounds like she is hot actually OP

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

julian assflange posted:

Idk she sounds like she is hot actually OP

The euro leagues football podcast host is a woman with an Instagram full of her glamour shots. It was not what I expected from her voice.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
Does anyone actually listen to both FW and TF during the world cup?

Seltzer posted:

I have been having the time of my life op,

And I have never felt this way before

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The Argentine woman sounds really hot but she’s not as hot as I, a morbidly obese neckbeard, expected.

webmeister
Jan 31, 2007

algebra testes posted:

Does anyone actually listen to both FW and TF during the world cup?

I’ve largely kept up with the Ramble and FW during the cup, but I’ve been doing a huge amount of driving so it hasn’t been too difficult. I’ve actually been prioritising FW because it’s out in the morning, even though I think the Ramble has actually had really good analysis - much better than usual.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
The Ramble is always by far the best podcast for talking about England.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The Ramble is my favourite podcast precisely because they don't take themselves too seriously and Pete is a yogurt munching nutter.

Jippa
Feb 13, 2009
Yeah the ramble has always been the best because they can seamlessly have fun mixed with actual decent opinions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Luke can very occasionally go off on one leaving me a bit :stare: but what fat passionate football fan doesn't? Peep my post history for examples