Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Ilor posted:

Holy blast from the past, Batman! I never played Prefect or Leviathan (the capital ship combat system), but we played the hell out of Renegade Legion: Interceptor and Renegade Legion: Centurion (grav tanks!), both of which were a ton of fun. The games were sort of designed as a spectrum where you could move from one game to another to play out various parts of a conflict. It shows its age in a number of ways, but it definitely had potential.

Centurion had the greatest intro tag-line: "You ride in 250 tons of molecularly aligned crystalline titanium wedded to a ceramic ablative shielding. You carry a 200mm Gauss Cannon, two massive 10 Gigawatt lasers, two SMLM fire-and-forget anti-tank missiles, a Vulcan IV point-defense anti-missile system, and a medley of other equally lethal weapons. Your vehicle is the ultimate product of 4,000 years of armored warfare. Your life expectancy is less than two minutes."

Leviathan is pretty bad and imbalanced. It ends up being a slog or ends really soon, depending on how the missiles play out. The old Battlespace system for Battletech was basically a 2nd edition of Leviathan, and it's a much better experience if you can get a hold of the rules. I don't remember off the top of my head if the WarShip rules are part of the modern Battletech or not.

I never played Prefect but I have it and it does look super interesting. I wonder if there's a vassal module...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Also on "Thunder", I think it was said that the Japanese, KMT, and the warlords would all be cube-based COIN factions, while the communists are the guerrillas. There is going to have to be some new mechanic for cube-v-cube battles beyond what we saw in FitL, or things will be pretty ahistorical and strange.

Is there any new discussion of this game online, or was it only demoed at a con?

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 25, 2018

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

What I found somewhat different from your experience is that the shift from Roman Rule to Autonomy to Fragmentation seems pretty much inevitable to me, no matter how coordinated the Romans are in defending the isle. I think of the Roman factions as pretty much self-interested by design. Also didn't find the bots too hard to implement; what kind trouble were you running into with them?

I agree that the shift down feels inevitable, what's odd to me is that the shift away from Roman rule can make the game easier to win for Dux. That seems counterintuitive.

Some tedious aspects of the bots: You have to check the chart and calculate the results of each assault before even deciding whether to attempt it, and you have to work out all of your possible assaults for the turn before deciding which Feat you'll use. The battle system has a lot more steps and variables compared to other COINs and I'd keep forgetting things like "Oh, the raiders didn't assault, but the defenders withdrew, so the raiders can still siege." Should raider/militia value be halved? Depends on which stage of the assault you're on, which type of stronghold is involved, and if certain events have been played. The flowchart preferences are harder to internalize because some of the steps require a condition + a dice roll. This adds up to more work and less fun than previous COINs.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I'm learning Tenkatoitsu and right off the bat hire whoever wrote this rulebook because it's the single best rulebook I've seen for a wargame, let alone a board game, of this complexity. Full color, examples of everything, it's organized well, just bravo and this is coming from a French game.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

Also on "Thunder", I think it was said that the Japanese, KMT, and the warlords would all be cube-based COIN factions, while the communists are the guerrillas. There is going to have to be some new mechanic for cube-v-cube battles beyond what we saw in FitL, or things will be pretty ahistorical and strange.

Is there any new discussion of this game online, or was it only demoed at a con?

I was initially quite hyped for cube v cube battles but IMO it was severely limited and ended up kinda boring in play- it never paid off to have the NVA player to historical smaller infiltrations- it was All Easter Offensive All the time, because cubes were easy to remove, particularly in small numbers. Historically the NVA could make division level incursions and this required an incredible US effort to deal with- it wasn't just an air strike away to blam six cubes out.

The COIN activation system shows its creaks here.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I'm looking into air wargames again and while the Downtown umbrella is pretty much perfect in that regard I'm still looking for more.

It seems birds of prey and air war c21 are still the best options

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ilor posted:

Holy blast from the past, Batman! I never played Prefect or Leviathan (the capital ship combat system), but we played the hell out of Renegade Legion: Interceptor and Renegade Legion: Centurion (grav tanks!), both of which were a ton of fun. The games were sort of designed as a spectrum where you could move from one game to another to play out various parts of a conflict. It shows its age in a number of ways, but it definitely had potential.

Centurion had the greatest intro tag-line: "You ride in 250 tons of molecularly aligned crystalline titanium wedded to a ceramic ablative shielding. You carry a 200mm Gauss Cannon, two massive 10 Gigawatt lasers, two SMLM fire-and-forget anti-tank missiles, a Vulcan IV point-defense anti-missile system, and a medley of other equally lethal weapons. Your vehicle is the ultimate product of 4,000 years of armored warfare. Your life expectancy is less than two minutes."

The sad thing about Centurion was the absurdly low lethality. If you fire the biggest gun in the game at the smallest, weakest vehicle in the game, you have zero chance of one-shooting the poor thing. Combat with actual AFVs in it was a slog. Interceptor was cool as hell; although my buddy got dice hosed every single game: after we started keeping track, I won initiative 28 of 30 turns.

Phi230 posted:

It seems birds of prey and air war c21 are still the best options

My publisher puts out Birds of Prey, so I am obliged to say it's cool and good. Which it is. It's also a gateway drug to Squadron Strike.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

mllaneza posted:

The sad thing about Centurion was the absurdly low lethality. If you fire the biggest gun in the game at the smallest, weakest vehicle in the game, you have zero chance of one-shooting the poor thing. Combat with actual AFVs in it was a slog. Interceptor was cool as hell; although my buddy got dice hosed every single game: after we started keeping track, I won initiative 28 of 30 turns.

My publisher puts out Birds of Prey, so I am obliged to say it's cool and good. Which it is. It's also a gateway drug to Squadron Strike.

BoP only seems to do dogfights, no WVR or BVR, and no ground either which are all big minuses

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord
Y’all, Next War series has a complex air system with strikes, dogfights, AAA, SAMs, cruise missiles, you name it.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

To be honest, the only reason why I'm interested in Thunder is because it's being made by Brian Train, and he so far produced my two favourite COINs, so yeah, the chops for making good COINs are there IMO.

Also wonder if the Bagration OCS will allow you to join it with Baltic Gap. Also OCS Italy when

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

Y’all, Next War series has a complex air system with strikes, dogfights, AAA, SAMs, cruise missiles, you name it.

I launched 38 cruise missile strikes in one phase in NWT and did no damage. I think I got a strike 1 marker on an airfield

It's still too abstract for what I'm looking for. I want tactical.

I guess Downtown/Elusive Victory is all I got

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

mllaneza posted:

Sounds like my x-wing luck. Even in online matches, I routinely get hosed over by x-wing dice.

Interceptor is espcially awesome if you have the version that comes with the little cardboard boxes. I loved the stacking rule that says if you knock over a stack of boxes, you take collision damage. The few times I played we never got stacks big enough for it to be an issue, but it's still one of my favorite strategy game rules.

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"
I'll through out a link to http://warbirdsgs.com/

It's in the vein of Fighting Wings and entirely downloadable. It hasn't gotten to the modern era yet though. It started as WWI add-on to FW then grew into it's own thing. Thought it was pretty well done and/or labor of love for the guy behind it.

DJ Dizzy
Feb 11, 2009

Real men don't use bolters.

COOL CORN posted:

What would I play?!

Paths of Glory. God's Own Wargame.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

mllaneza posted:

The sad thing about Centurion was the absurdly low lethality. If you fire the biggest gun in the game at the smallest, weakest vehicle in the game, you have zero chance of one-shooting the poor thing.
I don't remember this being the case, but it's been probably two decades since I last played it. I remember getting hit with a THOR round was generally a good way to staple your tank to the ground.

tomdidiot
Apr 23, 2014

Stupid Grognard

COOL CORN posted:

Speaking of which, there's 3 new OCS games being playtested at ConsimExpo right now.
- The Third Winter, which is an expanded version of Hube's Pocket, Ukraine, etc.
- Forgotten Battles, which is Army Group Center, the stuff going on north of Guderian's Blitzkrieg I think?
- an unnamed Bagration game, which is obviously Army Group North.

I'd post the maps, but just imagine a humongous blob of browns and greens and you'll have it.

I think Forgotten Battles is the twin of Third Winter, covering the same Time period for Army Group Centre rather than South

Bagration is the twin of Baltic Gap, covering Army Group Centre while Gap covers Army Group North.

There's also obviously Hungarian Rhapsody (probably the next one to actually come out after Smolensk's release) - covering Hungary in the last year of the war,

Tekopo posted:

Also wonder if the Bagration OCS will allow you to join it with Baltic Gap. Also OCS Italy when

and Italy, which is still way behind all the Ostfront games. From my stalking of the devloper on CSW, he's still loving about with scenario setups and end dates. Testing hasn't even properly started.

tomdidiot fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jun 26, 2018

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I would love OCS but the entire Pacific war

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Real talk if anyone wants to learn or play Next War, I will walk that Vassal journey with you

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

COOL CORN posted:

Real talk if anyone wants to learn or play Next War, I will walk that Vassal journey with you

I'd be down to play any next war that isn't taiwan

Not that I hate taiwan, it's super interesting. But it's more of an expac for Korea

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
2ould you wanna use the supplementary rules

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
I have Taiwan and Poland coming in the mail, but India-Pak is a lot of fun, we could do that. And I'd be down to throw in some supplement rules.

edit-- I haven't even played a full game with advanced rules, but I'm always one for biting off too much.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The first time I played with full rules it took 6 hours for turn 1. It's a huge process

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Phi230 posted:

The first time I played with full rules it took 6 hours for turn 1. It's a huge process

Take this journey with me, friend

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
So i've played about 8 hours of sessions and i'm not done with vietnam summer 65 first turn, so, i kinda want to suffer with y'all at next war.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Phi230 you don't have PMs, so if you (or anyone else) wants to set up a game sometime, shoot me an email at coolcornsa at gmail

unicr0n
Sep 8, 2003
Any chance those of you going to play Next War over Vassal could be encouraged to record it for YouTube? I know I’d watch it.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Tekopo posted:

To be honest, the only reason why I'm interested in Thunder is because it's being made by Brian Train, and he so far produced my two favourite COINs, so yeah, the chops for making good COINs are there IMO.

Yeah this is my feeling on it, Brian Train seems to really know what he's doing when it comes to the COIN system.

On a similar subject I also played a solo game of Pendragon, but stopped around the third epoch round because it just got to be too much to keep track of - however, this was because of a capability card I drew in the first round, otherwise the bots were fairly easy to handle although the game does seem to have some serious flaws here and there. I imagine playing it with four people is a much different experience.

The shift down from Roman Rule to Autonomy then Fragmentation is supposed to be inevitable, the sliding victory conditions is just one of those things to make it actually possible to win the game. Although there might be something said about just changing the victory conditions to something else because the sliding victory conditions consumed a great deal of my time trying to calculate what not to do so I didn't accidentally lose the game.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Pendragon has one of the worst score-tracking problems in the entire genre, for a genre known for its boring and time consuming score-tracking.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Tekopo posted:

Pendragon has one of the worst score-tracking problems in the entire genre, for a genre known for its boring and time consuming score-tracking.

I feel like making the Dux and Civitates the same until Fragmentation is a real problem in this regard. Maybe just cut down on the -prestige events and make Dux win a straight Control + Prestige. No idea for the Civitates though, that faction is just weird. In solitaire they mostly just sit around and take events with occasional Trade + Rule, but somehow that's still enough for them to win despite doing gently caress all. The only other real problem is that the Scotti are really reliant on one event card that completely changes how they play. The reason I had to stop was just because I drew Mariners capability early for Dux (Intercept can use one coastal move per command) and that just made things ... difficult. I forgot about it so often that I decided to simply scrap it. Otherwise, it was fun and I did enjoy it despite its issues and at the very least it feels thematic - which is my main complaint against some of the other COIN games. That being said I'm looking forward to Ariovistus.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

Those are basically my issues with it from the start. It's too thematic for its own good and the Civitates were really boring to play.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Going on right now at CSW Expo - Death Ride Kursk: Southern Flank

23,000 counters :pusheen:

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

wait wheres the hexes

guys seriously where the gently caress are the hexes

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

That board is beautiful for subtle hexes the same way NT has subtle positional lines.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Tekopo posted:

wait wheres the hexes

guys seriously where the gently caress are the hexes

they're quite faint

btw i figured out Next War: IP, but i'm just waiting for the game to be delivered

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Panzeh posted:

they're quite faint

btw i figured out Next War: IP, but i'm just waiting for the game to be delivered

You can get every rulebook and play aid for all the NW games in a OneDrive folder the developer has shared...

...except for the CRT! Cheeky game companies, insuring that people actually BUY their products...

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

COOL CORN posted:

You can get every rulebook and play aid for all the NW games in a OneDrive folder the developer has shared...

...except for the CRT! Cheeky game companies, insuring that people actually BUY their products...

Yeah, that's why i'm getting it for real, haha. I had CSI store credit from being good at filthy casual trash like x-wing so it didnt cost me much.

NC Wyeth Death Cult
Dec 30, 2005

He lost his life in Chadds Ford, he was dancing with a train.

COOL CORN posted:

Going on right now at CSW Expo - Death Ride Kursk: Southern Flank

23,000 counters :pusheen:

I think ADG's "World in Flames" with the expansion kits would lap this, especially if you hate yourself and start with WWI.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Yeah that board is dwarfed by a lot of things I can think of. But maybe there's an asterisk on that for like "largest boardgame in one box" or something.

I don't think WiF beats 23,000 counters, though.

e:also they look corner-clipped!

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
But yeah i'm down for a learning game of NWIP with whoever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athaboros
Mar 11, 2007

Hundreds and Thousands!

I also want to get into NW eventually. If y'all would be open to someone watching to learn alongside you, hit me up when you get a game started and I'll watch and keep my mouth shut.