Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

THE FIGHTING AMERICAN SUPER-MAN

Please don't doxx me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
To offer an explanations about those profiles, I think LnL did some fundraising thing and you could get your picture on a card/counter if you donated a certain amount. They're pretty funny though.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Beyond is Finster's mad vision of Earth transformed.

Dadbod Apocalypse posted:

To offer an explanations about those profiles, I think LnL did some fundraising thing and you could get your picture on a card/counter if you donated a certain amount. They're pretty funny though.

those are why I thought LnL did Heroes of Normandie

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

COOL CORN posted:

THE FIGHTING AMERICAN SUPER-MAN

Did they get these from the ICE Linkedin profiles?

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Viticulture clearly did the same thing with the visitor cards. Those have anachronistic hair and glasses, yet they're easier to let slide conceptually. Those LnL counters remind me of the dorky photos my dad and his pals took when they did Civil War reenactments 20 years ago.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Panzeh posted:

IMO cataclysm is way more open than T&T. It's just straight up better than T&T, though a bit more random.

Play time is a huge selling point for me as T&T's can be knocked out in 2 hours or less. Where does Cataclysm sit.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

al-azad posted:

Play time is a huge selling point for me

huh? idgi

*sets up a quick game of World at War*

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

al-azad posted:

Play time is a huge selling point for me as T&T's can be knocked out in 2 hours or less. Where does Cataclysm sit.

I don't know how you manage T&T in 2 hours. Cataclysm is significantly longer than that.

If you're getting T&T done in that kind if playtime i'd stick with it.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

A lot of them are just well-known people in the wargaming community. The one I posted is David Heath who owns LNL, Heroes of North Africa is Sal Vasta who designed Unconditional Surrender: Europe... uhhh... and others who I don't know.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Panzeh posted:

I don't know how you manage T&T in 2 hours. Cataclysm is significantly longer than that.

If you're getting T&T done in that kind if playtime i'd stick with it.

By playing aggressively. Most of my games end in a military victory. Occasionally things will draw out to 1946 but not often.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

al-azad posted:

By playing aggressively. Most of my games end in a military victory. Occasionally things will draw out to 1946 but not often.

Same here. Once you’re used to the game of a war breaks out it goes pretty quickly. half the time the third party scrambles for nuclear bombs and just wins.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

I'm still curious how T&T plays compared to Cataclysm, from anyone who's tried both. Cataclysm won out for my preorder but I'd definitely like to check out the competition.

Also: Besides T&T and Hitler's Reich, what are some other recent WWII grand strategy games with area control and other less-wargamey mechanics?

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Panzeh posted:

Combat Commander is the light.

Also Cataclysm news:

Managed to get another turn in of our cataclysm yesterday. There’s two more left and things are looking very grim. The US and UK failed an alliance roll at the beginning of the turn and it shaped the war- the UK actually briefly took over most of Germany but lost two fighters and two armies doing it, though the German air force got attrited quite heavily by me. A communist coup got me Denmark and i decided to put an army there to try to invade Germany but it didn’t work out and he got me(also after I put my fighters in Mongolia to threaten the Japanese presence in China).

The Axis are in a good situation but a lot of things can happen in two years. US is at very low stability but I think they really have to try the alliance again to keep this game close.

A lot of crazy stuff happened- the initial surprise attack on the USSR gleaned… Romania and never entered Soviet territory. Tank armies are super important.

Yeah I think my worst move as Democracies was whiffing that alliance roll and then not saving flags for another one. You did have some pretty minimal presence in the German homeland, I think things could have gone very differently there if I'd gotten a little luckier. I'm still crying about the 1-1-1 roll for my carrier hunting that subpack (vs the German 6).

D-Day could still happen (again?) but if I'm to win the US will need to make Japan surrender too which is a long shot all its own.

Vivian Darkbloom fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Jun 23, 2018

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

I'm still curious how T&T plays compared to Cataclysm, from anyone who's tried both. Cataclysm won out for my preorder but I'd definitely like to check out the competition.

That’s what I’m wondering too. I think it’s a bit of a tough choice since cataclysm is perceived to be similar enough to compare and thus nobody should get both to compare if that makes sense. I’d probably be more interested if I didn’t also have unconditional surrender.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
Cataclysm finished. I think the game state got out of control in 1939-40, and where most other games have a pretty easy sudden death condition, Cataclysm let us play on, and the democracies never really got the rolls they needed to turn things around, and my communists got just enough rolls to stay alive the whole game.

Game ended with a UK home front check causing a UK and US collapse, but the risk had to be taken at low stability to even have a chance.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I gave Pendragon another go, playing the Barbarian Conspiracy short scenario. Up until the first Epoch, I played all 4 bots against each other (to better understand intended strategies), then the rest of the game I played each faction myself. The Scotti eked out a single point victory over the Romans. If Civitates had managed to flip to Civilian Dominance (they were 1 wealth short), they would have run away with the game. The Saxons were a distant 4th.

This still feels too random for a COIN game. Dropping from Roman Rule to Autonomy made victory much easier for Rome (and the Civitates), which seems bizarre to me, but maybe that's not the case when you play a longer campaign. These are by far the most tedious bots to manage. Overall, it felt like an interesting experience, particularly once I stopped using the bots, but it's so fiddly and there's so much bookkeeping that I'd rather play any of my other COINs instead. As a multiplayer game, the Civitates would probably be really boring (Trade+Rule is almost always their best move) and the Scotti would not be much more fun. Maybe I'll try the Petty Tyrants scenario next to see if it changes things significantly, but once ADP, Ariovistus, and the revised CL/FITL bots arrive, those will definitely bump Pendragon down my list of priorities.

SavageMessiah
Jan 28, 2009

Emotionally drained and spookified

Toilet Rascal
I've been reading the infantry combat narrative in the back of the Lock and Load rulebook and this seems pretty good. There's a sale on right now (30% off most of the modules) so I might pick a few things up. The fact that there's apparently an updated solo system and a scenario generator that will work for all the modules (rather than one generator per) coming is encouraging. The forthcoming audio version and the video bootcamp demonstrate a pretty serious commitment to making the accessible that deserves some respect too.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Got through the first couple “small” NWIP scenarios, and now tackling the full map standard scenario. Started reading through the advanced rules and it’s almost literally a different game. Everything about the air system is totally different. I’m excited to dive into it after this though.

Setup and pre-game moves done. The IROP forces in Lahore blew 2/3 of the bridges going into the city, which will be a risky gamble.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
The air war is almost a game unto itself. Advanced rules are dope as hell even though the supply rules are tedious as all hell

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Phi230 posted:

Advanced rules are dope as hell even though the supply rules are tedious as all hell

"War as hell." -- William Tecumseh Sherman

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

Got through the first couple “small” NWIP scenarios, and now tackling the full map standard scenario. Started reading through the advanced rules and it’s almost literally a different game. Everything about the air system is totally different. I’m excited to dive into it after this though.

Setup and pre-game moves done. The IROP forces in Lahore blew 2/3 of the bridges going into the city, which will be a risky gamble.

Oh man, I need to get this game, I love maps with terrain that fucks with everything and that terrain looks super fucky.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Finster Dexter posted:

Oh man, I need to get this game, I love maps with terrain that fucks with everything and that terrain looks super fucky.

Yeah, all the white terrain on the right is "high mountain" which is completely impassable except by roads, and totally impassable to any air units. And the surrounding mountains (dark brown) have reduced stacking limits, and basically take a unit's whole movement allowance to go one hex. So that whole Kashmir valley is VERY hard to attack.

edit-- and then all the terrain on the left is funneled around major rivers (impassable) and marsh (takes almost all MP to go one hex).

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Brian Train's newest COIN - "Thunder Out Of China"

1937 China, factions are Nationalists, Communists, Japanese, warlords.

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf
Might just be because of the early build, but it appears to have:
-No city spaces
-Two types of LoC (canals and roads?)
-A Japanese permanent-removal mechanic
-A Communist temporary-removal mechanic
-No Japanese bases
-Mountainous and clear terrain

I remember hearing the idea for this one a while ago, assumed it had vanished. It's cool to see it's still going.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Finster Dexter posted:

This is the aspect of Tunisia II that looks most interesting to me. But every time I consider diving into OCS, I remember all the unplayed wargames already on my shelf.

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

Krazyface posted:

Might just be because of the early build, but it appears to have:
-No city spaces
-Two types of LoC (canals and roads?)
-A Japanese permanent-removal mechanic
-A Communist temporary-removal mechanic
-No Japanese bases
-Mountainous and clear terrain

I remember hearing the idea for this one a while ago, assumed it had vanished. It's cool to see it's still going.

No cities seems like a weird choice for China though. Weren't there huge set-piece battles for some of the cities in the 2nd Sino-Japanese War? Well, I'm still interested to see what twists it will apply to the format.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

Brian Train's newest COIN - "Thunder Out Of China"

1937 China, factions are Nationalists, Communists, Japanese, warlords.

Forgive my ignorance of the historical context, but does COIN really fit here? I thought it was more of a conventional war scenario and not a grueling soul-sucking insurgency/counterinsurgency.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Finster Dexter posted:

Forgive my ignorance of the historical context, but does COIN really fit here? I thought it was more of a conventional war scenario and not a grueling soul-sucking insurgency/counterinsurgency.

I think COIN is getting shoved into a lot of things without much regard to how well the system does it- it's actually not all that good at insurgencies in general- a simplified model of politics did fine with the FARC in Colombia, but much less well with, say, the NLF in Vietnam or the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

Panzeh posted:

I think COIN is getting shoved into a lot of things without much regard to how well the system does it- it's actually not all that good at insurgencies in general- a simplified model of politics did fine with the FARC in Colombia, but much less well with, say, the NLF in Vietnam or the Taliban in Afghanistan.

Yeah that's kind of my thinking, as well. I'm half expecting a COIN game for Eastern Front WW2 because partisans! or some such nonsense.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
Speaking of which, there's 3 new OCS games being playtested at ConsimExpo right now.
- The Third Winter, which is an expanded version of Hube's Pocket, Ukraine, etc.
- Forgotten Battles, which is Army Group Center, the stuff going on north of Guderian's Blitzkrieg I think?
- an unnamed Bagration game, which is obviously Army Group North.

I'd post the maps, but just imagine a humongous blob of browns and greens and you'll have it.

Finster Dexter
Oct 20, 2014

COOL CORN posted:

Speaking of which, there's 3 new OCS games being playtested at ConsimExpo right now.
- The Third Winter, which is an expanded version of Hube's Pocket, Ukraine, etc.
- Forgotten Battles, which is Army Group Center, the stuff going on north of Guderian's Blitzkrieg I think?
- an unnamed Bagration game, which is obviously Army Group North.

I'd post the maps, but just imagine a humongous blob of browns and greens and you'll have it.

When these are all out you're going to need an empty warehouse to put them all together with Guderian and Case Blue.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
We should try a thing where all the OCS fans play Next War and all the Next War fans play OCS

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord
What would I play?!

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Phi230 posted:

We should try a thing where all the OCS fans play Next War and all the Next War fans play OCS

Speaking of operational my latest pick-up was Renegade Legion: Prefect. One of the few/if only operational games on invading a solar system and capturing a planet, with mechanics for both space and dirtside fighting. Had it recommended a while ago and had a chance to get it for a song so gently caress it.

It's apparently part of a role playing system so its got a ton of flavor and narrative bits built in (love the "Operational Briefing" booklet with detailed OOB for Strike Legions and Battleship Squadrons and stuff). The actual rules are, basic-ish, I guess would be the word? Or at least very much early 90's. It's not Squadron Strike + Next War/OCS in space but the uniqueness makes up for it some. It's also pretty huge with four counter sheets and maps for ships manuevering around planets and a mercator type projection for the planet itself. Anyway, it's different and creative I'll give it that.

Also I kind of want a Hard Sci-fi game that has modern mechanics like Strike/NW/OCS now.

Erghh fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jun 25, 2018

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

No cities seems like a weird choice for China though. Weren't there huge set-piece battles for some of the cities in the 2nd Sino-Japanese War? Well, I'm still interested to see what twists it will apply to the format.

Yeah, Shanghai, Nanking, Taierzhuang were all big ones. Later even got a Storm Over type game.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Erghh posted:

Speaking of operational my latest pick-up was Renegade Legion: Prefect. One of the few/if only operational games on invading a solar system and capturing a planet, with mechanics for both space and dirtside fighting. Had it recommended a while ago and had a chance to get it for a song so gently caress it.

It's apparently part of a role playing system so its got a ton of flavor and narrative bits built in (love the "Operational Briefing" booklet with detailed OOB for Strike Legions and Battleship Squadrons and stuff). The actual rules are, basic-ish, I guess would be the word? Or at least very much early 90's. It's not Squadron Strike + Next War/OCS in space but the uniqueness makes up for it some. It's also pretty huge with four counter sheets and maps for ships manuevering around planets and a mercator type projection for the planet itself. Anyway, it's different and creative I'll give it that.

Also I kind of want a Hard Sci-fi game that has modern mechanics like Strike/NW/OCS now.

This is awesome so I picked up a copy

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

Erghh posted:

Speaking of operational my latest pick-up was Renegade Legion: Prefect.
Holy blast from the past, Batman! I never played Prefect or Leviathan (the capital ship combat system), but we played the hell out of Renegade Legion: Interceptor and Renegade Legion: Centurion (grav tanks!), both of which were a ton of fun. The games were sort of designed as a spectrum where you could move from one game to another to play out various parts of a conflict. It shows its age in a number of ways, but it definitely had potential.

Centurion had the greatest intro tag-line: "You ride in 250 tons of molecularly aligned crystalline titanium wedded to a ceramic ablative shielding. You carry a 200mm Gauss Cannon, two massive 10 Gigawatt lasers, two SMLM fire-and-forget anti-tank missiles, a Vulcan IV point-defense anti-missile system, and a medley of other equally lethal weapons. Your vehicle is the ultimate product of 4,000 years of armored warfare. Your life expectancy is less than two minutes."

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

COOL CORN posted:

What would I play?!

ASL

Erghh
Sep 24, 2007

"Let him speak!"

Phi230 posted:

This is awesome so I picked up a copy

:hfive: space invader buddy.

Ilor posted:

Holy blast from the past, Batman! I never played Prefect or Leviathan (the capital ship combat system), but we played the hell out of Renegade Legion: Interceptor and Renegade Legion: Centurion (grav tanks!), both of which were a ton of fun. The games were sort of designed as a spectrum where you could move from one game to another to play out various parts of a conflict. It shows its age in a number of ways, but it definitely had potential.

It definitetly has chacracter yeah. I admit I'm not familiar with the setting/system but the name drop came from a trusted source so figured it was worth a look. Pretty pleasantly surprised so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

CaptainRightful posted:

I gave Pendragon another go, playing the Barbarian Conspiracy short scenario. Up until the first Epoch, I played all 4 bots against each other (to better understand intended strategies), then the rest of the game I played each faction myself. The Scotti eked out a single point victory over the Romans. If Civitates had managed to flip to Civilian Dominance (they were 1 wealth short), they would have run away with the game. The Saxons were a distant 4th.

This still feels too random for a COIN game. Dropping from Roman Rule to Autonomy made victory much easier for Rome (and the Civitates), which seems bizarre to me, but maybe that's not the case when you play a longer campaign. These are by far the most tedious bots to manage. Overall, it felt like an interesting experience, particularly once I stopped using the bots, but it's so fiddly and there's so much bookkeeping that I'd rather play any of my other COINs instead. As a multiplayer game, the Civitates would probably be really boring (Trade+Rule is almost always their best move) and the Scotti would not be much more fun. Maybe I'll try the Petty Tyrants scenario next to see if it changes things significantly, but once ADP, Ariovistus, and the revised CL/FITL bots arrive, those will definitely bump Pendragon down my list of priorities.

I still don't have enough plays of Pendragon to really get a handle on it, but yeah I do find the play a little one-dimensional for barbarians (both factions) and the Civitates. Like ARVN they need to spend some effort on defense but they are even more antagonistic toward the Dux than ARVN or Govt are toward their COIN friends, if that makes sense.

What I found somewhat different from your experience is that the shift from Roman Rule to Autonomy to Fragmentation seems pretty much inevitable to me, no matter how coordinated the Romans are in defending the isle. I think of the Roman factions as pretty much self-interested by design. Also didn't find the bots too hard to implement; what kind trouble were you running into with them?