Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
-Blade
Trump
Doctor
Sex
Cake
View Results

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

goddamn the guy who coined "i regret that i only have one livelihood to give for trump's presidency"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Lol my mother fought cancer into total poverty for five years before signing up for the ACA

Sometimes you just gotta sacrifice a little for the benefit of our oligarchic class good-ole 'murican values

You absolutely cannot fight stupid

Jikes
Dec 18, 2005

candy of the ocean
womp womp

quote:

If Republicans succeed in their multi-front campaign to cut back on food stamps, the burden will fall heaviest on the working-class, rural white voters on whom President Trump has staked the future of their party.

House Republicans on Thursday passed legislation that would require Americans ages 18 through 59 to either work part time or enroll in 20 hours per week of workforce training to receive food stamps.

On the same day, the White House unveiled a proposal to consolidate the public safety net -- including the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) -- under a revamped health department. The program, my colleagues Amy Goldstein and Caitlin Dewey write, “has an explicit aim of building standardized requirements that people must work or prepare for jobs to qualify for government help.”

On the surface, these efforts seem like they will affect Democratic voters the most. The highest rates of food-stamp assistance tend to be in the most Democratic areas. But that’s a superficial reading of the numbers.

Yes, the most Democratic-leaning fifth of counties tops the rankings in terms of reliance on food stamps -- there, 14 percent of all households got SNAP assistance, based on 2012-16 data. But the most Republican-leaning fifth runs a close second at 13.5 percent. All groups are adjusted for population so that they're not distorted by the large Republican advantage in thousands of low-population counties.

A deeper look at the numbers helps explain why. In the Trump era, the Republican Party has relied heavily on rural voters. And the most rural fifth of the population is also the most likely to live in a household that receives food stamps.

The distribution of food stamps isn't uniform across the urban-rural spectrum. It depends on the policies of the states that administer the program as well as the poverty of residents. But food-stamp use is particularly high in key Trump strongholds such as rural Appalachia, the Ozarks and much of the rural South.

The huge five-percentage-point gap between the Trumpiest and Romniest counties shows -- perhaps even more clearly than the contrasting politicians themselves -- that the party now leans heavily on the support of poor, working-class areas. And many people in those areas? They lean heavily on the support of the federal government.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...m=.ac5e78b729f5

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Are there American families which aren't multi-generational? I guess technically yeah, but I think most people imagine some kind of parent-child relationship when they think of families.

The Puppet Master
Apr 9, 2005

Would you fuck me? I'd fuck me. I'd fuck me hard.

Meldonox posted:

poo poo, about now I'd even settle for George W. Bush.

i know a million dead iraqis who might disagree with you

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.

WeAreTheRomans posted:

Are there American families which aren't multi-generational? I guess technically yeah, but I think most people imagine some kind of parent-child relationship when they think of families.

Kira Yamato, who we made in a vat, is not an American citizen.

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

I kept misreading "rural filth"

Seriously need to chill out.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Pauperizing and immiserating my family to own the libs

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

gutting SNAP to own the libs

getting my business shuttered to own the libs

making easier for a bank ive never done business with to kick me out of my own home to own the libs

dying starving and alone on the streets, to own the libs

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

with very few exceptions, most rural regions in the US at the moment would basically be drought stricken wild west towns with gravel main roads if not for massive federal subsidies in a hundred different ways

if all of this goes through, we'll probably see in the next year or two every rural hospital shuttering and waves of starvation as SNAP gets gated behind working a lovely job for just enough to put you outside of the upper limits for SNAP and child care subsidies

Father Wendigo
Sep 28, 2005
This is, sadly, more important to me than bettering myself.

Harley Davidson will be moving production overseas to avoid European tariffs.

America Greatness +1!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

spank me, daddy

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
Annnnd Gov. Walker just announced Dairy Farmer grants in WI. I'm guessing to offset the tariff losses.

Jesus christ.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Zeroisanumber posted:

Xi is a pile of poo poo.

tfw Europe devolves into fascism due to political dependence on the United Snakes of Amerikkka but it's ok because 1B1R returns China to it's natural place as global Hegemon

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Epic High Five posted:

with very few exceptions, most rural regions in the US at the moment would basically be drought stricken wild west towns with gravel main roads if not for massive federal subsidies in a hundred different ways

if all of this goes through, we'll probably see in the next year or two every rural hospital shuttering and waves of starvation as SNAP gets gated behind working a lovely job for just enough to put you outside of the upper limits for SNAP and child care subsidies

Good. Not the redistricting I was hoping for, but it'll do.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Philthy posted:

Annnnd Gov. Walker just announced Dairy Farmer grants in WI. I'm guessing to offset the tariff losses.

Jesus christ.

But see this is different from what Trump is complaining other countries do because

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

WeAreTheRomans posted:

They mean they've had the same farm for multiple generations.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Philthy posted:

Sometimes I wonder if this country is so loving dumb they have GOP confused with DNC. How the hell do you pull the red lever thinking it's the party of environmental protections.

Cultural identification mostly.

Trump is just like me: a loud ignorant racist with problems respecting consent. A guy like me must intrinsically understand me and care about what I care about : protecting the bayou from the fat cat oil and gas CEOs. Because he gets me.

Same reason farmers who wanted a businessman president just like them who will govern in their businesses' interests because he's just like them voted for the guy promising ag-crippling trade wars with the rest of the world.

VitalSigns has issued a correction as of 16:24 on Jun 25, 2018

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Cultural identification mostly.

Trump is just like me: a loud ignorant racist with problems respecting consent. A guy like me must intrinsically understand me and care about what I care about : protecting the bayou from the fat cat oil and gas CEOs. Because he gets me.

Same reason farmers who wanted a businessman president just like them who will govern in their businesses' interests because he's just like them voted for the guy promising ag-crippling trade wars with the rest of the world.

You're making my head hurt that anyone could identify with Trump outside of wanting to do terrible things to minorities. For Bush, it was "yeah, I could have a beer with this guy, he might say one or two sentences before he ran out of small talk and we would high five and chug" but for Trump it's like... "Lets go hang black people?????"

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
trump thinks just like them, ie like fox news so he feels very familiar, almost familial. they have the same bad arguments and brain worms

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Philthy posted:

You're making my head hurt that anyone could identify with Trump outside of wanting to do terrible things to minorities. For Bush, it was "yeah, I could have a beer with this guy, he might say one or two sentences before he ran out of small talk and we would high five and chug" but for Trump it's like... "Lets go hang black people?????"

It's Louisiana

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

JER GEDDA FERDA RADDA ARA!

WeAreTheRomans posted:

They mean multiple generations of capital and land ownership as farmers.

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

Lol if u don't own property strap the gently caress in cuz inflation is gonna be wild for the next 5 years

HobbitGrease
Jul 24, 2001

Young Orc
it's going to be real funny if the trade warring causes the dairy tariff to go up even more

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Crazyweasel posted:

Lol if u don't own property strap the gently caress in cuz inflation is gonna be wild for the next 5 years

I am going to hunt men for sport and food.

The real losers are my rapidly weakening to nothing grandparents, who plan to sell their home and rent. Their home with a monthly mortgage lower than any rental price in the area. They are gonna get hosed.

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
[muffled Tom Selleck reverse mortgage commercial playing in the distance]

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Going into bankruptcy to trigger the liberal snowflakes.

KiteAuraan
Aug 5, 2014

Volcott posted:

[muffled Tom Selleck reverse mortgage commercial playing in the distance]

LOL my grandma already took out equity to put in fake wood flooring, so she can sell it and rent.

She controls the finances and is very, very bad with it, and just assumes since I am a poor millennial, I know less.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

etalian posted:

Going into bankruptcy to trigger the liberal snowflakes.

Just remember: no matter how bad things get, any Democrat is always worse! :v:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1011360410648416258

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
What chuds can even afford a harley davidson

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

Kurtofan posted:

the ones who really want a lifted pickup but cant afford them

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Kurtofan posted:

the ones who have a mortgage on a house they cant afford amd really want to look tough

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.missourinet.com/2018/06/22/southeast-missouri-nail-company-gets-hammered-by-trumps-tariffs/

Hopefully they save enough nails to hammer their coffins shut after Trump takes away their SNAP benefits and kicks them off Medicare.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Crazyweasel posted:

loving good. I've got student loans I need to lower the real cost of.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

your typical chud is actually going to be a relatively rich middle-aged white person and can afford big lifestyle purchases like a harley or a fancy car or a boat (until they are inevitably bankrupted by medical bills like everyone else in the country)

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Kurtofan posted:

Mad suburban dads. The kind who walk around strapped on a trip to Dairy Queen.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Shear Modulus posted:

your typical chud is actually going to be a relatively rich middle-aged white person and can afford big lifestyle purchases like a harley or a fancy car or a boat (until they are inevitably bankrupted by medical bills like everyone else in the country)

don't forget the wall of guns @ about $800 a pop at the absolute minimum

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
https://twitter.com/AnaSwanson/status/1011032273871888384

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

lmao in hindsight trying to take on the whole world wasn't the best plan especially how the EU system means every European country will abide by the punitive tariffs.