Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Beamed posted:

It used to be worse when you had no way of manipulating or changing it, it was just an arbitrary income you had no way of influencing. It's..okay, now, but as others have said, it's morphed into kind of a lazy catch-all abstraction.

Honestly, more kinds of mana is probably preferable to figuring out why reducing autonomy doesn't cost admin but coring does, or why it's diplo to reduce war exhaustion but admin to raise stability.

I much prefer it to resources that snowball, such Stellaris' resources. The whole "use points to build stuff that earns points so you can build more stuff that earns more points" is an unfun gameplay loop that I would like to see as little of as possible in Paradox's games. Ducats are like that in EU4 but the presence of limited monarch points keeps it in check.

What kind of replacement for monarch points would people want?

Beamed posted:

EDIT: People who shut down when they unironically hear "mana" are just really bad at discussing games and have no opinions with depth, hth.

Even the devs use it now. It's just a word. Anyone who lets it bother them so much has deeper issues.

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No, you are choosing to assign a dumb pejorative term and consider it clever and you expect people to engage in discourse while being ridiculous, it's not going to happen

You can call it fart poopy points because you're so mad at them and I'm going to call you ridiculous when I read you call them fart poopy points and assume that you are not worth talking to because your brain thinks "lmao, fart poopy points, this will make Johan realize how dumb he is"

dude, mana, just like final fantasy, wow paradox is console trash for kiddies :2bong:, what biting commentary thanks for this.

lmao. It's not even a pejorative in use by most of the people who use it. Like I said, even the devs use it now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

lmao. It's not even a pejorative in use by most of the people who use it.

The guy using it in this very thread explained it was because he hated mana points being console kiddie COD trash so much dude

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Ham Sandwiches posted:

The guy using it in this very thread explained it was because he hated mana points being console kiddie COD trash so much dude

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Let them have their fun and move on. It's not worth getting angry over.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
they call it mana in the code you absolute sperg

it is a joke, you see.

There's nothing wrong with mana, but hoi and eu4 both inherently use it pretty shittily. Eu4 has them tied into way to many features, military particularly, with no meaningful way to adjust how you get them outside of a bonus. (Which can be a pretty big bonus once you get really rolling, admittedly, but that's end game.) HoI both has it being way to important with you pulling teeth for every five points early on (with it also being pretty hard to actually get it) and then functionally worthless once you're done. Also lmao at ever getting naval XP, doubly lmao that once you're getting it it's to late to make those fancy boats. Phone-mana probably has it the worst of all, though, simply because it's actually pretty rare to have something to spend it on in the first place.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Even the devs use it now. It's just a word. Anyone who lets it bother them so much has deeper issues.

Just to be clear: I am not bothered when someone uses it. When someone uses it, it implies they hate everything about modern Paradox games and I can just skip their opinion because I'd actually like to talk about the games, not why they are bad "these days".

This thread is like the worst game of telephone because you can actually go back and re-read the original stated post but eh that's too much work.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

ExtraNoise posted:

Just to be clear: I am not bothered when someone uses it. When someone uses it, it implies they hate everything about modern Paradox games and I can just skip their opinion because I'd actually like to talk about the games, not why they are bad "these days".

This thread is like the worst game of telephone because you can actually go back and re-read the original stated post but eh that's too much work.

I use it and I really love modern paradox games.

Ham Sandwiches
Jul 7, 2000

ExtraNoise posted:

Yeah that's the whole point, it's a way that you can realize the person making that statement is dumb and chooses to be so, so it helps assign the proper weight to their statements.

Please continue to use it if you find it compelling, it really helps.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

I use it and I really love modern paradox games.

Yeah but you're a cool dude who makes my original argument hard as hell to follow-up on.

poor ninja edit: basically I don't think anyone is mad. except for the people unironically using the word "mana" when writing sperg posts about how they can no longer feel human.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

I much prefer it to resources that snowball, such Stellaris' resources. The whole "use points to build stuff that earns points so you can build more stuff that earns more points" is an unfun gameplay loop that I would like to see as little of as possible in Paradox's games. Ducats are like that in EU4 but the presence of limited monarch points keeps it in check.

What kind of replacement for monarch points would people want?

I don't know. It's not a solved problem, to be honest with you. I've said that before - Paradox is alone trying to make these sorts of games.

I do think something more like Victoria, where there are outside resources you can start wrestling with to influence things, would be better, but can you do that without the complexity?

Ham Sandwiches posted:

I've used it and don't feel that way at all? Maybe calm down before posting next time.

ExtraNoise posted:

Except even the devs use it, and they clearly think the newer games are better than the old. Do you assume devs have nothing worthwhile to say about Paradox games? Because, uh. Jeez.

ExtraNoise
Apr 11, 2007

Beamed posted:

Except even the devs use it, and they clearly think the newer games are better than the old. Do you assume devs have nothing worthwhile to say about Paradox games? Because, uh. Jeez.

I think they use it ironically.

Maybe not, who knows. It's actually not that important. I was just stating an opinion that I think using it as a term is dumb. You don't have to give any weight to my opinions, I'm just a rando internet guy.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

ExtraNoise posted:

I think they use it ironically.

Maybe not, who knows. It's actually not that important. I was just stating an opinion that I think using it as a term is dumb. You don't have to give any weight to my opinions, I'm just a rando internet guy.

I don't think it's ironic just because it is an encapsulation of what it is, right, just a ticking meter you can spend to do stuff. Which isn't a bad thing even as an abstraction, it's just useful shorthand (that's one character less than "power" :v:)

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Going forward instead of calling the resource mana I'm now going to refer to it as MP, short for Mana Points.

Takanago
Jun 2, 2007

You'll see...
Is the term "Mana" better than or worse than "Bonii" and "Malii"

Takanago fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Jun 25, 2018

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

Muffin Points

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!

Pakled posted:

I don't mind mana. What I don't like is the approach to mana Paradox took in EU4 DLC. They want all the DLC to be modular because they don't want you to have to buy ALL the DLC to enjoy the game, so they don't hook all the systems together too tightly. But the result of this is a thousand different point pools that only do one thing each and barely interact with each other.

Right. This.

Like, there are a bunch of different ticking religious point types, like Church Power, Fervor, Papal Influence, Patriarch Authority, Legalism/Mysticism. All of them are sort of the same thing, a kind of religious mana which can be used to influence your states relationship with your state religion, and yet have minimal relationship to your actual religious estate (bonus ticking points barely count). Seems like these could be consolidated in a broader religious influence point pool that EVERY religion could use to do (different) fun things, and you got points for your relationship with the church estate and doing things they liked (like converting heathens and spending your cash on churches and so forth).

Expand this to all the various ticking point pools. I wonder if there should be less unique point pools, and more of these things you have to buy with base monarch points. Making your choices harder.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?
Wait, back it up.

You can influence your Monarch Points influx in ways other than just your monarch stats now?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

Wait, back it up.

You can influence your Monarch Points influx in ways other than just your monarch stats now?

ever hire an advisor? they're pretty useful

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Redeye Flight posted:

Wait, back it up.

Advisors, national focus, estates, power projection, or if you're really desperate, humiliation wars.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Ham Sandwiches posted:

No, you are choosing to assign a dumb pejorative term and consider it clever and you expect people to engage in discourse while being ridiculous, it's not going to happen

You can call it fart poopy points because you're so mad at them and I'm going to call you ridiculous when I read you call them fart poopy points and assume that you are not worth talking to because your brain thinks "lmao, fart poopy points, this will make Johan realize how dumb he is"

dude, mana, just like final fantasy, wow paradox is console trash for kiddies :2bong:, what biting commentary thanks for this.

What sort of mana do I have to spend to pull the rod out of your rear end?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
Randomly assigned monarchs being the only thing that determined monarch points was a big issue back in the day but there's plenty of ways to influence that now, it's not really a problem anymore.

Fintilgin posted:

Right. This.

Like, there are a bunch of different ticking religious point types, like Church Power, Fervor, Papal Influence, Patriarch Authority, Legalism/Mysticism. All of them are sort of the same thing, a kind of religious mana which can be used to influence your states relationship with your state religion, and yet have minimal relationship to your actual religious estate (bonus ticking points barely count). Seems like these could be consolidated in a broader religious influence point pool that EVERY religion could use to do (different) fun things, and you got points for your relationship with the church estate and doing things they liked (like converting heathens and spending your cash on churches and so forth).

Expand this to all the various ticking point pools. I wonder if there should be less unique point pools, and more of these things you have to buy with base monarch points. Making your choices harder.

I kinda agree that consolidating these point types for the various unique religions or governments wouldn't hurt, but I also don't think they're the major problem--since they're unique to certain things, you only have to be interacting with a few of them in each run, and they don't add so much to the bloat. I think it's the superfluous global ones, like army professionalism and especially innovativeness, that are the real problem. Whoever said the issue is the three monarch points influencing too many different things at once, I completely disagree--I think the problem is the total opposite. There should be fewer major point types but with widespread effects; it's kind of the whole point of them even, isn't it? The advantage of "mana" is that it's a constraining resource that you can't snowball with. The more you spread what you can do with it, the deeper it gets with more opportunity costs; spreading it out into more different types is what turns it into just being tedious ticking bars.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I just remembered how back when the game first came out non-Europeans just got less monarch points for no reason.

For those who don't remember: nowadays, everyone gets +3 in each category as a base, but it used to be that Asians only got +2, Africans got +1, and Americans got 0. And that was on top of their tech penalties, which were much more harsh before institutions.

Fister Roboto fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Jun 26, 2018

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Prav posted:

ever hire an advisor? they're pretty useful

Man, that poo poo is expensive early on. I'm not good enough at this game to blob super good.

Advisors, national focus, estates, power projection, or if you're really desperate, humiliation wars.

But yeah, I lost track of all the expansions at some point and trying to get back in is frankly overwhelming with all the new mechanics. Sometimes I have to ask the stupid questions. Thanks!

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

Redeye Flight posted:

Man, that poo poo is expensive early on. I'm not good enough at this game to blob super good.

shake down the estates for a half-price rank 2 and you're looking at +2 MP for a duck and a half

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

There's also disinheriting. If you have Rights of Man, then at the cost of prestige you can toss all your terrible 1/1/1 heirs into the sea and hope for better ones.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Takanago posted:

Is the term "Mana" better than or worse than "Bonii" and "Malii"

extremely better

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Just let Wiz design any and all Paradox games thank you

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Crazycryodude posted:

Just let Wiz design any and all Paradox games thank you

yea cuz stellaris is the pinnacle of game design here

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Gamerofthegame posted:

yea cuz stellaris is the pinnacle of game design here

...do you know the history of his involvement in stellaris?

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love

Fuligin posted:

...do you know the history of his involvement in stellaris?

Stellaris is trash hth.

spectralent posted:

Okay, sure, development isn't DLC, but the only way the game lets you meaningfully interact with development is a DLC feature, so it can't meaningfully change due to the DLC model. Like, if another DLC or update was going to make development change with trade power, or something, it'd be altering a DLC feature. I don't think I've had horde razing come up in 90% of EUIV games I've played, so I feel like in spirit development changes end up being another orphan mechanic.

I feel like it'd obviously be better for immersion and a degree of historical accuracy if development changed. It feels kind of insane that, unless you want to waste a bunch of mana, you can dominate world trade in multiple goods and have undisputed hegemony of the world and your capital is probably still poo poo.

The way MP (magicka points) is used makes complete sense. At first you’re totally dependent on the rng of your government but as the state gets more and more massive your income gets bigger and you could invest the resources of your now massive state with massive resources into technology or infrastructure (development) if you don’t like that then you’re automatically a retard.

Why is everyone in this thread starting their sentences with “like,” that’s some little dick poo poo.

SnoochtotheNooch fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Jun 26, 2018

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Stellaris is trash hth.
So... you don't know the history of his involvement in Stellaris.

Someone else was in charge of making the game, and it was kind of a mess. Wiz was put in charge of it after release and has been fixing it with amazing results ever since.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

TBH I don't really view Mana as a simplification or "dumbing down" of Paradox games mostly because of what they're replacing. EU3's sliders were just as much as an abstraction as Monarch Points are now, as were Agents you sent to build buildings and so on. In terms of simulating real life its a lateral move, while in terms of fun gameplay mechanics its definitely an improvement.

Which is also why I don't want a similar power system to replace any of the unique simulation-y stuff if they ever make a V3.

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

Eiba posted:

So... you don't know the history of his involvement in Stellaris.

Someone else was in charge of making the game, and it was kind of a mess. Wiz was put in charge of it after release and has been fixing it with amazing results ever since.

Why am I not surprised, that's like Wiz's specialty.

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

SnoochtotheNooch posted:

Stellaris is trash hth.

like, that was not a post about the quality of stellaris, like, you seem like kind of a retard?? i dunno, hth

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Jackie D posted:

Muffin Points
I had to spend over a thousand diplomatic muffins to annex Naples.

Redeye Flight posted:

Why am I not surprised, that's like Wiz's specialty.
Maybe he should start life coaching. :v:

Potzblitz!
Jan 20, 2005

Kung-Fu fighter
Imperator’s pops look promising so far, but I wish they had some sort of patronage system. After all, it was the most important social dynamic of Rome and other republics and I think it could provide an interesting and fun way for characters and pops to interact.

Fuligin posted:

imperator might be the game that finally unleashes my inner pedant paradox forums-goer. "Citizen" being distinguished from plebs is gonna make me burst a blood vessel
It’s fine. It’s a decent abstraction of oligarchic societies. Certainly better than calling them patricians and plebeians.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
You know, with the moddability of pops according to that dev diary, you just know that the first mod that's going to come out is adding patricians and plebians as special rome-only pops that add a billion overpowered bonuses and as many unimportant penalties, plus probably some grafted-on romanization system that lets rome convert as many other pops to them as they want without paying or any disadvantages to doing so.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

ExtraNoise posted:

Yeah but you're a cool dude who makes my original argument hard as hell to follow-up on.

poor ninja edit: basically I don't think anyone is mad. except for the people unironically using the word "mana" when writing sperg posts about how they can no longer feel human.

I also use it a lot, we've appropriated the word now.

Though seeing a guy get gold on r/Paradoxplaza just for saying the same poo poo someone else said 6 years ago when we announced EU4 did make me scratch my head. The conversation hasn't moved and there's not a lot of substance to the "But EU3 did it better" (even though they're not that explicit about it anymore except the one guy who said Magisters were good :allears:)

e: also of course I am not slating things over saying there are zero improvements to be made. But armchair devs on internet seem to have a very binary look on how things are and what you should consider when you make features.

Groogy fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Jun 26, 2018

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

Groogy posted:

e: also of course I am not slating things over saying there are zero improvements to be made. But armchair devs on internet seem to have a very binary look on how things are and what you should consider when you make features.
You should consider making good games, and not bad games. And then when you've made a good game, you should consider making it better, not worse.

Groogy
Jun 12, 2014

Tanks are kinda wasted on invading the USSR

A Buttery Pastry posted:

You should consider making good games, and not bad games

Ooooh riiiight that's what I forgot. Snap, oh well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I've spent a little over 2000 hours in Paradox games and while occasionally frustrating the vast majority has been fun. :toot: