Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Cowcaster posted:

i can see money being a lot tighter over the course of the game if you don't immediately superglue the badge that autopicks up money for you to your lapel permanently but no one would be crazy enough not to do that right

It isn’t, unless you literally just leave money lying on the ground

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

skasion posted:

It isn’t, unless you literally just leave money lying on the ground

that's what i meant. if you literally stop and pick up every piece of money the pickup badge is functionally useless anyway.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

also you'd be a crazy person

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Oh my god there's a thread.

Just beat it and now I need to 100% it. It's everything I wanted in a game.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Over There posted:

Oh my god there's a thread.

Just beat it and now I need to 100% it. It's everything I wanted in a game.

Ah yes, one hundred... :getin:

e: wait can I change my post to just say "you fool"

Books On Tape
Dec 26, 2003

Future of the franchise
Played a good bit over the weekend. I'm trying to pimp my guy out as much as I can before going after the tougher bosses. Have only beaten False Knight and Hornet so far, but I bought all the map markers and mask/vessel shards, got one extra health thingy, dash and wall jump, and upgraded my nail twice. I tried going after the Crystal Heart but I couldn't beat the boss in that area to unlock the bench, and that was just too frustratingly long a walk after dying there so much.

I've also beaten a couple Dream Nail bosses and have done the tree thing with it a few times. Very fun mechanic. I tried to go beat the Failed Champion, but he absolutely slaughtered me. I'm thinking that's about all I can do at this point without progressing so I'll probably do the mantis boss and City of Tears boss next.

For those of you looking for more Geo (non-story spoiler), there's a place in City of Tears where you can turn in items for geo.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
I would have never have beaten the White Palace last night if it wasn't for the breakable wall underneath the spear hallway.

What the hell was that about.

FruitPunchSamurai
Oct 20, 2010

I didn't notice the thread for this until now, but I just wanted to say this game is awesome. I got it on Switch the other day, and I haven't been able to stop playing. I just beat the boss of the Grimm Troupe DLC and I feel like a boss. The exploration and the combat in this game are top notch, and it has a surprising amount of content for a 15 dollar game. To top it all off the devs are still making even more content for it. This game is ridiculously good and I'm almost ashamed it took me this long to get around to it.

I am also one of those people who pretty much never takes off the money pickup badge except for bosses. It only costs one notch anyway and it saves a lot of time scrounging for money. Picking up money is for losers.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I thought it was silly for geo pickup to not happen by default but it actually encourages you to reconfigure your charms before boss fights which is a fun part of the game that would be easy to overlook otherwise. So i approve.

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001

Books On Tape posted:

I tried going after the Crystal Heart but I couldn't beat the boss in that area to unlock the bench, and that was just too frustratingly long a walk after dying there so much.

I also had a whole lot of trouble with this dude, so here's my advice: don't fight him. You can come back later when you have more tools. There's no other boss to fight to get the Crystal Heart, so just take your time and be careful and you'll get there without needing the second bench.

naM sdrawkcaB
Feb 17, 2011

END CHEMTRAILS NOW posted:

I like to bring an area damage charm to help clear the little spikes. Defender's Crest, Spore Shroom, and/or Thorns of Agony would be good. Aside from that, I try to get to mid range where her attacks are easier to avoid. Take it slow and careful, only going for an attack when there's a clear opening. She's not too hard to dodge once you get a good read on the tells for each of her attacks.

Got her eventually.
Hornet? More like HorNOT :smug:

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Yeah, that crystal boss is an rear end in a top hat. It was super satisfying to beat his rear end. He's one that definitely makes you walk a line between being too passive and too aggressive.

The way the game encourages you to re-gear for bosses is definitely one of the better parts, be it Lifeblood heavy for more aggressive bosses, leaning on spells for more deliberate fights, or just going in strapped with damage and reach. Or minions, all the minions! Mwahaha, etc.

I managed to totally miss Brooding Mawlek, he ended up being my second to last mask shard before a certain quest I managed on my first try.

I'm currently on the march to full completion, I think I'm currently at 103%. "All" I have to do is take down Soul Master and Nightmare King Grimm, find Mr. Mushroom a few more times, then go for the endings.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Echophonic posted:

find Mr. Mushroom a few more times, then go for the endings.

I didn't even know this was a thing and I have max completion so I don't think it counts towards it. That said I definitely need to go back and do this.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

PantsBandit posted:

I didn't even know this was a thing and I have max completion so I don't think it counts towards it. That said I definitely need to go back and do this.

I don't think it counts for percentage, but there's an achievement. Clearly important.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Watcher Knights is such a brutal fight. Last time I think I just played well enough to beat them -- though it took me a lot of tries, as I recall -- but this time I couldn't be bothered. I tried a spell build with Soul Eater and Shaman Stone, but it didn't work for me, although I got close. Ended up just equipping Quick Slash and Stalwart Shell, plus Quick Focus for healing and facetanking them while slashing as fast as possible and that saw me through. I did make use of Shadow Dash to avoid damage from the rolling Knights, and I definitely healed when I could.

I still kind of think that fight is a bit too brutal. But hey, it's done again.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

If I'm thinking of the right fight, just before it there's a breakable wall. If you go up there and break down the chandelier it kills some of them and makes the fight easier.

Dancer
May 23, 2011

guppy posted:

Watcher Knights is such a brutal fight. Last time I think I just played well enough to beat them -- though it took me a lot of tries, as I recall -- but this time I couldn't be bothered. I tried a spell build with Soul Eater and Shaman Stone, but it didn't work for me, although I got close. Ended up just equipping Quick Slash and Stalwart Shell, plus Quick Focus for healing and facetanking them while slashing as fast as possible and that saw me through. I did make use of Shadow Dash to avoid damage from the rolling Knights, and I definitely healed when I could.

I still kind of think that fight is a bit too brutal. But hey, it's done again.

Next playthrough you should do glass soul :v: .

Ambivalent
Oct 14, 2006

Watcher Knight fight can be brutal depending when you take it. In the glitchless speedrun you fight them with no extra masks and 0 or 1 nail upgrade and it is a harsh skill check in terms of combat especially since youre trying to be fast.

Fight is a little easier if you use the secret passage outside their room to drop a chandelier and kill one off instantly . That was a really cool secret

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
So far, most of my problems in Hollow Knight have been solved by Flukenest. I suspect this will be unsustainable for the late game boss fights, but I'm going to ride this wave while I can. This gross, squirmy wave.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

YggiDee posted:

So far, most of my problems in Hollow Knight have been solved by Flukenest. I suspect this will be unsustainable for the late game boss fights, but I'm going to ride this wave while I can. This gross, squirmy wave.

bear in mind that this is after it was nerfed in the lifeblood update

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
I just double-checked. Turns out Soul Master isn't completion percentage. The Trial of the Fool is, though. :negative:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Echophonic posted:

I just double-checked. Turns out Soul Master isn't completion percentage. The Trial of the Fool is, though. :negative:

I could have sworn all the dream refights were completion percentage.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva

SirSamVimes posted:

Apparently not. Turns out I'm at 105% and it's just that trial and Nightmare King Grimm.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth
Oh ym god finding Marissa was such a treat

Dancer
May 23, 2011

SirSamVimes posted:

I think that was true on release when there were less of them in the game. If you wanted enough essence for dream nail lady to go away, you could only afford to miss one of the warrior tombs, and even that could only be achieved by acquiring almost all other sources of essence.

Echophonic
Sep 16, 2005

ha;lp
Gun Saliva
Oh my god, The Radiance is SUCH a dick. I mean, I understand it's the logical conclusion of the boss design, but holy poo poo.

I know, I know:

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
Trying to tie up some loose ends, I noticed a secret room and a shaft left of the elevator in the city of tears on some jpg online.Cannot seem to figure out how to get there.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Boosh! posted:

Trying to tie up some loose ends, I noticed a secret room and a shaft left of the elevator in the city of tears on some jpg online.Cannot seem to figure out how to get there.

That may be the spa in the city of tears, there's a simple key door in the big open area left of the king's station

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
That is exactly it, thank you!

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Is there anything I need from the Dream White Palace, other than presumably some story? I don't feel the need to bash my dick against this mapless area.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox

Bogart posted:

Is there anything I need from the Dream White Palace, other than presumably some story? I don't feel the need to bash my dick against this mapless area.

Did you get the item from the king? If so, you're good. You still can go back and do the Path of Pain though.

Darox
Nov 10, 2012

I actually forgot that there's no map for the white palace because it really doesn't matter. It's almost entirely linear and only branches out in a couple simple paths that loop back to their origin, and once you do them once there's no reason to go back and it even blocks off half of them for you. Once you reach the end it even teleports you back to the entrance. Unless you're trying to find the path of pain there's basically no way to lose your bearings.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Bogart posted:

You need to reach the end to see the true ending and fight the real last boss

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
There are also some lore bits hidden around White Palace if you're interested in that sort of thing, though I think some of them are a little hidden.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

C-Euro posted:

There are also some lore bits hidden around White Palace if you're interested in that sort of thing, though I think some of them are a little hidden.

Like throughout the parkour parts or the hub?

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Oh, right, I need the other half of the thing, right? Ughhh. Where's the king?

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Bogart posted:

Oh, right, I need the other half of the thing, right? Ughhh. Where's the king?

At the end of the parkour

I'll save you a headache, when you get to a hall with spikes that seem almost impossible, there's a breakable wall underneath to pass it.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

So I’ve been spoiled on the bank. In that I know she takes your money and runs. Is it still safe to stash it as long as you find her? I’ve got a ton of geo and everything I want to spend it on is out of reach atm.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Yup. She also gives you a nice ROI afterwards too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Sweet thanks