Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I enjoyed XIII overall. Never played the sequels and I'm pretty okay with that, but I also dig Lightning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Renoistic posted:

To be fair to Snow those people would have been killed if they didn't fight.

For sure but it's pretty bad imo to be so chill about it and calling them idiots

e: Especially when you don't shut the gently caress up calling yourself everyones' hero and how you will protect them all

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

EmmyOk posted:

I just got to the part where Snow ramps in on Shiva and thought he was finally going to be cool and he was for a while. Then he calls resistance fighters dumb and Hope asks him if people who fight are dumb and he's like "you're a really FREAKING bonehead if you die fighting the baddies lol". Even if you don't know this is the son of a woman you helped get killed did you really forget about the whole bunch of people you lead to their deaths like a day ago after convincing them to fight? Also I thought he should take off the bandanna and then I saw a picture of him from XIII-2 :whitewater:

fwiw i THINK they were trying to go for snow on some level knowing he had got hope's mom killed and was trying to die but that whole sequence is not done very well so I don't have a clue

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dawgstar posted:

I enjoyed XIII overall. Never played the sequels and I'm pretty okay with that, but I also dig Lightning.
Have you heard the Good News? Lightning has Returned and is absolving us of our sins (using a sword).

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Dawgstar posted:

The sequels take a hit in production values but the team got more comfortable with the gameplay/game engine and did some crazy things with it.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Leal posted:

YOU ARE THE HOPE IN OUR PARTY ALSO YOUR NAME IS HOPE ARE WE BEING TOO SUBTLE

Also your mom shares the name of the rebel group who got her killed what the coincidence

I lost touch with a friend of mine from childhood named Isis and now I'm wondering if I should make sure she's okay. :thunk:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

zedprime posted:

Have you heard the Good News? Lightning has Returned and is absolving us of our sins (using a sword).

Sunning posted:

The sequels take a hit in production values but the team got more comfortable with the gameplay/game engine and did some crazy things with it.

Doesn't the second one trick you into thinking it's about Lightning but it's actually about her sister and Some Dude?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Renoistic posted:

To be fair to Snow those people would have been killed if they didn't fight.

Don't be fair to Snow. gently caress him.

Remember that everything he says is stupid shounen anime hero posturing bullshit and Vanille correctly identifies him as being all talk within the first few minutes of seeing/meeting him.

His only redeeming quality is that he genuinely loves Serah and he's a legit good boyfriend. I have no idea what she sees in him though.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Dawgstar posted:

Doesn't the second one trick you into thinking it's about Lightning but it's actually about her sister and Some Dude?
It's a double double cross, 13-2 is actually about Caius.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

My pal said she loved XIII-2 and Noel is one of the best FF characters so I'm excited to get to it. Her fave FF is IX so her opinion is reliable imo.

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

Dawgstar posted:

I guess it was if you went on a media blackout. Serah and Noel were heavily advertised so it wasn't a Raiden situation. They even did a Rockstar North style tour: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptwWx34mDfg

Barudak
May 7, 2007

EmmyOk posted:

My pal said she loved XIII-2 and Noel is one of the best FF characters so I'm excited to get to it. Her fave FF is IX so her opinion is reliable imo.

Get ready for Academia!

Also if youre enjoying FFXIII combat prepare for some dissapointments on that front

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Lightning Farron and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Birthday

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

zedprime posted:

It's a double double cross, 13-2 is actually about Caius.

The worst timeline

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

I just got Reddas in my party as a guest (spoiled for Elentor's sake) and am now going to go hunting for everything possible :black101:

Imagine the feeling when I printed off like 20 pages of stuff to take home from work to help me with this and it took forever for my printer to start so I thought I sent it to the wrong one for a minute :lol:

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
A Yuel who loved J-Pop...

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
A Yeul that platinumed Knack 2
A Yeul that could do that whistle thing where you put both fingers in your mouth
A Yeul that was allergic to circus peanuts. Not like real peanuts, but those orange confectionery ones from the candy store that they call 'circus peanuts' because they kinda look like peanuts I guess but they usually just look like orange blobs.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Saint Freak posted:

Lightning Farron and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Birthday

Lol

Ventana
Mar 28, 2010

*Yosh intensifies*

mandatory lesbian posted:

fwiw i THINK they were trying to go for snow on some level knowing he had got hope's mom killed and was trying to die but that whole sequence is not done very well so I don't have a clue

I don't think that was the indication at all. I think it was simply that he couldn't come to grips with his actions, while being just or well intentioned, could still end up with people dying because of him.He pretty much says this directly said afterwards, where he says that he knew what he was saying was hosed up, but he went with that mentality because he thought that he couldn't make up for it, so why bother trying to beg for forgiveness when you can't make up for it. And it was Hope that showed him that it was all just excuses to run from his own guilt. Basically, Snow has some real hosed up ways of thinking when you combine it with his "Heroes never die!" and "There's got to be a way to still save Serah!" strongly naive beliefs that he needs to be snapped out of (by Lightning punching him).

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Man, I'm having way more fun playing FFXII than I expected.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

Elentor posted:

Man, I'm having way more fun playing FFXII than I expected.

Were you ever able to decide on what you wanted your party to be?

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CeallaSo posted:

Were you ever able to decide on what you wanted your party to be?

So far of the characters I have I went with:

Vaan: Monk
Balthier: Bushi
Fran: Time Battlemage
Penelo: White Mage

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

EmmyOk posted:

Playing XIII and Hope and Lightning are good actually

I really think that part of the game could have been improved by introducing Fang earlier and put her in that party. So Lightning could be the one saying "maybe chill out a little and don't murder my brother in law" and Fang would be all "yeah fuckin shank the oval office mate"

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
The only thing that would have been better than Lightning punching Snow is Fang murdering him with a spear through his sinuses.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!
I'm glad that even in 13-3 lightning still gets to beat up snow

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

Elentor posted:

Mega64 you're a smart guy, you know that I cannot do that.

bullshit i know you have a d20 somewhere

anyway the only thing you need now is to look up if there are any quickenings you should get lest the game lock you out of each respective class's ultimate weapons

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Ventana posted:

I don't think that was the indication at all. I think it was simply that he couldn't come to grips with his actions, while being just or well intentioned, could still end up with people dying because of him.He pretty much says this directly said afterwards, where he says that he knew what he was saying was hosed up, but he went with that mentality because he thought that he couldn't make up for it, so why bother trying to beg for forgiveness when you can't make up for it. And it was Hope that showed him that it was all just excuses to run from his own guilt. Basically, Snow has some real hosed up ways of thinking when you combine it with his "Heroes never die!" and "There's got to be a way to still save Serah!" strongly naive beliefs that he needs to be snapped out of (by Lightning punching him).

Yeah you basically got it.

People rag on XIII a lot but I feel like it does a good job of focusing on its characters and their problems and development. I will always defend Hope as a good character. He's a kid who watched his mom fall to her death and gets stuck with Lightning who is arguably even less well-adjusted than he is about dealing with her problems and emotions. Hope eventually does get over this though and Lightning as well realizes she's kind of a lovely person and tries to dial it back.

Everyone is cool and good in the game and I await the inevitable "Vanille is terrible you have bad opinions" response.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

I think my tour of FFT has come to an end. Again. This time at Riovanes castle. I honestly have no idea what the game expects of me here.
The first part was fine and I got to the Wiegraf fight problem free. After five or so attempts I managed to set up an ability combination on Ramza that outdamaged him and I got to Belias. Who murdered my whole team immediately. I said gently caress it, reloaded, did some errands, random battles, shopped for equipment and upgraded some jobs. I'm now back at Belias and he's still wrecking me before I can take him down.
Why the gently caress is it designed like this? Am I a moron? What am I missing? Chapter 3 was going fine up until this point. I don't understand how you're supposed to be prepared for this. Why the insane upswing in challenge? It's not even challenging, just... unfair and unfun.
It's a shame really, I like the setting and story of the game, the music, the job system. I like a good SRPG, but that FFT is not.
Oh well, I'm just venting, I'll probably pick it up again in the future sometime.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Let me demoralize you further.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Thanks.
All of that, besides an element of luck, is based on knowing what's coming and having a deep understanding of the games system. I don't, I'm just playing blind and Belial hates me for it.

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
That's the worst fight in the whole game and you're right. It's badly designed, unfair, and not fun at all.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Attitude Indicator posted:

Thanks.
All of that, besides an element of luck, is based on knowing what's coming and having a deep understanding of the games system. I don't, I'm just playing blind and Belial hates me for it.

It's not like you can't learn from your mistakes, reload an earlier save, and change things in order to win.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
, he said, about the same game that lets you overwrite your save before velius

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I haven't played it in a long time but I'm pretty sure the game warns you about not being able to back out at that point so maybe make a second save file?

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

Nap Ghost
FFT was the game that taught me the lesson about multiple saves being mandatory for every RPG.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

I haven't played it in a long time but I'm pretty sure the game warns you about not being able to back out at that point so maybe make a second save file?

The game actually doesn't warn you, but I rotate saves so that's not an issue, and I did back out, but apparently I didn't learn anything because he kicked my rear end when I came back.
Even though I said I'd leave it I went back because I'm stubborn and he's dead now. Set up Ramza as a ninja with regenerate and lifefont, so I could survive the first part, and ran around using focus and tailwind untill I had speed and attack at 50. It was boring and dumb but it worked. Kind of funny if you envision it from Wiegrafs point of view though; he's prepped for a duel and Ramza just takes off, running around the room faster and faster, with frequent short fart breaks that apparently build muscle.

Aaaaand now I'm on a rooftop on another "protect the idiot AI" mission. what fresh hell is this?

E:

Elephant Ambush posted:

That's the worst fight in the whole game and you're right. It's badly designed, unfair, and not fun at all.

thank you!

Attitude Indicator fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Jun 26, 2018

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

People really love throwing around words like "unfair" or "badly designed" when they can't easily steamroll something but never seem to go into specifics. What about the fight do you think is unfair?

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

Auto-potion trivializes Weigraf, and also, most of the game.

Attitude Indicator posted:

Aaaaand now I'm on a rooftop on another "protect the idiot AI" mission. what fresh hell is this?

This fight is more bullshit than the other one, "requiring" even more advance knowledge.
You only need to knock one enemy into critical health to win.
The enemy AI will go after the most easily-killed unit first. Send someone in unarmored.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
the fact that rafa has best zodiac compatibility with one of the assassins is the cherry on the poo poo sundae lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Fister Roboto posted:

People really love throwing around words like "unfair" or "badly designed" when they can't easily steamroll something but never seem to go into specifics. What about the fight do you think is unfair?

In short; you're set up to lose.
FFT does this a lot, where you start a battle, get hosed by factors you couldn't see coming, reload and adapt. It's often annoying, but managable. In this fight, it's not so much adapting and learning from mistakes as trying to find that one trick (Lucavi hates it) and then even that might not be enough due to stat differences.
Look, I'm not a game designer, so don't know the specifics about designing a difficulty curve, but apparantly neither does the FFT team.

aegof posted:

This fight is more bullshit than the other one, "requiring" even more advance knowledge.

I noticed. Game over in two turns.