Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Dunno if anyone's been following this, but for the last few months Amplitude has been running a series of polls to determine the theme of the new espionage faction for Endless Space 2. Basically we settled on ancient alien space ghosts.

But they're also having a closed beta for another Endless Space 2 expansion that will come out before the espionage faction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yeah, I'm looking forward to finding out what this next expansion will actually involve- there have been zero hints so far.
I'm glad they've gone with the user-submitted poll for espionage faction names, because the names Amplitude came up with were baaaaad.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I'm hosting a multiplayer game with map goons tomorrow at 8pm gmt (saturday) if anyone's interested. We've had some decent internal interest and might run a regular Saturday game if that sticks. Tomorrow is endless legends and it will be a three hour session.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
If anyone is following the thread and been waiting for a decent discount, the ~digitial deluxe~ edition of Endless Space 2 is 60% off at Fanatical for the next ~30 hours or until keys "run out" (lol).

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

I'm hosting a multiplayer game with map goons tomorrow at 8pm gmt (saturday) if anyone's interested. We've had some decent internal interest and might run a regular Saturday game if that sticks. Tomorrow is endless legends and it will be a three hour session.

Disappointed I missed this. Are you guys doing it again next week?

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Yes I'm hosting another one next Saturday.

We had a good time in chat trying to figure out how the drat game works but I couldn't figure out how to set the game pave to quick and I picked a normal size map for 5 people so nobody ever fought either. Next time will definitely be a quick, small map and hopefully a lot more competition once people get comfortable with the game.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

Demiurge4 posted:

Yes I'm hosting another one next Saturday.

We had a good time in chat trying to figure out how the drat game works but I couldn't figure out how to set the game pave to quick and I picked a normal size map for 5 people so nobody ever fought either. Next time will definitely be a quick, small map and hopefully a lot more competition once people get comfortable with the game.

Ah yeah, I think I can help with that. It was probably more the game speed than the map size- we found previously in Goon games that Game Speed = Fast and turn timers (if only for the jackass that wanders off to make a sandwich without hitting end turn) are a must for the game to go anywhere.

Pedestrian Xing
Jul 19, 2007

I do speed: fast for every game personally, lets you get past that boring end-of-early-game phase where you're waiting on system improvements and research to get more expansion done.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I went with a 60s turn timer that starts once only one person is left to do a turn, that seemed to work out alright.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Gonna be another game on the Mapgoons discord tonight in about 8 hours. If you need the link you can find it in the private games sub forum.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008
Wow, that game was fantastic. It was probably one of the most rewarding and enjoyable experiences of my adult life.

I feel terrible for anyone who couldn't make it, and hope they don't suffer such terrible misfortune again.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I napped too long. :(

OzFactor
Apr 16, 2001
I picked up EL in the Steam sale because it's always looked really interesting to me. I haven't played a Civ game since 4 (and I really didn't play much of that, even) but I've always loved Alpha Centauri and I was told that this was similar. Mostly I'm just bookmarking this thread by posting in it, but here's a question: I ran through the tutorial and it was very informative... except it never actually told me what the winning conditions are. Are they unique to particular factions? And are the Vaulters supposed to be the newbie faction? That's what the tutorial uses.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008

OzFactor posted:

I picked up EL in the Steam sale because it's always looked really interesting to me. I haven't played a Civ game since 4 (and I really didn't play much of that, even) but I've always loved Alpha Centauri and I was told that this was similar. Mostly I'm just bookmarking this thread by posting in it, but here's a question: I ran through the tutorial and it was very informative... except it never actually told me what the winning conditions are. Are they unique to particular factions? And are the Vaulters supposed to be the newbie faction? That's what the tutorial uses.

The main win condition is "complete your quest", which has different goals for each faction. You can also kill everyone else, but eh.

I would say Wild Walkers would be the best newbie faction, they are basically just production centered elves. Vaulters are the main science faction and kind of the posterchild for the Endless games, hence the use of them in the tutorial, but they have some more complicated mechanics.

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

OzFactor posted:

Much like Civ, there’s multiple victory conditions. Iirc they are:
Score - have the highest score at turn N (200 on normal speed, I think?)
Economy - make X amount of Dust, total. Doesn’t matter if you’ve spent some, just that you’ve earned it, so spend away.
Expansion - own a certain amount of regions.
Supremacy - be the only one left with their original capital.
Conquest - wipe out all other factions.
Technology - research 4 of the era 6 techs.
Wonder - complete your storyline quest and build the Wonder unlocked by doing so.
Quest - complete the quest unlocked by completing the storyline quest.

I might be wrong on some of these, not at my comp to check.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

OzFactor posted:

The actual victory conditions themselves are available to every faction (though some are better than others at specific conditions); the main difference is that each faction has their own personal quest line, which gates the Wonder and Quest victories.

You can check the win conditions (and turn them on/off) in the Advanced Settings menu when creating a game, or in the Empire Management/Status screen in-game.

Brief summaries:
Elimination/Supremacy - be the last surviving faction, or control all the capital cities (you can tell if a city is a capital by the little crown by its name).

Expansion - settle/control 80% of the map's regions.

Economic - Acquire a lot of Dust over the course of the game (you can spend it freely).

Diplomatic - Acquire a lot of Diplomatic Points over the course of the game. These are not the same as Influence; you acquire these Diplomatic Points by maintaining positive relationships with other factions (i.e. Cold War/Peace/Alliance). You also get points for brokering contracts which the other party willingly accepts (more points per Influence spent on the contract).

Scientific - Research 5 of the 6 technologies in Era 6 of the tech tree.

Wonder - Build a very expensive structure which you unlock after completing your faction's main quest.

Quest - After you finish your faction's main quest, you'll unlock another quest line which will win you the game if you finish it. This quest is the same regardless of faction.

Score - Have the highest overall score by the end of the game.

Wild Walkers, Vaulters, and Drakken are all good to start with; Wild Walkers have silly amounts of Industry, Vaulters are good all-around and get big bonuses for using Strategic resources in the same manner as Luxuries, and Drakken can force other faction into various diplomatic states (including Truce, which is helpful if you get overwhelmed by war).

Grab the Guardians, Shadows, Shifters, and Tempest dlc while it's on sale; you can turn it off before setting up a game and add it in as you feel more comfortable.

Generic Octopus fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Jun 27, 2018

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

How's the combat in Endless Space 2? Entertaining or just 'my bigger econ lets me kill the other dude'

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

victrix posted:

How's the combat in Endless Space 2? Entertaining or just 'my bigger econ lets me kill the other dude'

It's intentionally mostly hands off. You decide a tactic and then your ships act based on that order plus whatever they've been equipped with.

Fleet makeup is what matters most, really and that's not solely an economy thing.

Avasculous
Aug 30, 2008

victrix posted:

Bad as of a year ago, though it might have improved.

I was mostly unimpressed with the fact that it felt like a layer of customization and micromanagement that still overwhelmingly turned into "stack with higher numbers wins, +/- rock paper scissors bonuses' (i.e. Civilization). That, and the almost total lack of faction-specific anything.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Cripes another deep discount for Endless Space 2 over at Fanatical if anyone is interested. This time it's a "collection" bundle type thing, but both the vanilla and digital deluxe versions without DLC are on sale too if you search for them there.

The collection includes the Digital Deluxe Edition, Vaulters DLC, Untold Tales DLC and Lost Symphony DLC for $18.

Overminty
Mar 16, 2010

You may wonder what I am doing while reading your posts..

Well this was unexpected

https://twitter.com/Amplitude/status/1017413833541861378

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
I'm looking forward to seeing what's in this expansion. I'm not a fan of the ocean one as it seemed super imbalanced from my few multiplayer games with it. But I'm hopeful they can make a new race just as fun as the stealth guys and moth guys

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
Thought they were done with Endless Legend now that they moved onto Endless Space 2.

Guess they're not as done as I thought.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

Neat. I was just thinking about getting back into EL.

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
As someone who only ever played the base game a few years back, are the the expansions for EL worth picking up? I'm thinking about starting up a game.

Generic Octopus
Mar 27, 2010

I dont know posted:

As someone who only ever played the base game a few years back, are the the expansions for EL worth picking up? I'm thinking about starting up a game.

Tempest and Shadows probably add the most content (oceanic gameplay and espionage, respectively, plus a new faction in each). Guardians adds the eponymous unit type (big elemental giants that are essentially armies by themselves) as well as Legendary Deeds (objectives & buildings that can only be achieved/built by one empire). Shifters adds a faction and greatly enhances the Winter aspect of the game.

They're all definitely worth it at sale price, and they go on sale often. Content-wise I'd say they all make the game much better than just using the base, so it might be worth the full price to you. When Inferno releases they'll likely put everything on sale again since they've done that historically.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

I dont know posted:

Absolutely, each adds in new things that make it worthwhile and interesting (plus each has a new faction that takes advantage of the new mechanics, except Guardians, which instead has giant monsters and world wonders and competitive global quests, all very nice)

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Whaaa???? I fully thought they were done with EL. Hype as gently caress. though I'd prefer a sequel with a complete combat revamp.

Also they've become a lot less forthcoming with dlc details lately and it's annoying.

Chadzok fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Jul 12, 2018

I dont know
Aug 9, 2003

That Guy here...
Ah, thanks. I'm in no rush, so I'll probably just wait for the next big sale and get them all at once.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Amplitude really are the best, aren't they...

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

"The world is a hellish place, and bad writing is destroying the quality of our suffering."
Jeez I had no idea that they were working on another add-on for EL. Doesn't seem like there's any more information besides that Twitter post, though? I wonder when it's slated to be released...

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!
We'll have information on the 23rd, as the devs are taking a vacation.

Rhjamiz
Oct 28, 2007

I'm hoping this is going to be their crack at revamping the combat system in EL as a sort of test for whatever they're working on for EL2.

A man can dream.

The Deleter
May 22, 2010
I hope they remove the combat entirely and laugh at people who complain.

The Human Crouton
Sep 20, 2002

I'm going to guess that Inferno has an underground theme of some sort.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

It adds disco functionality

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Bushfires and each race has new unique firefighting unit

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

They're retconning the whole Winter is Coming global cooling bit and replacing it with global warming instead.

Xik
Mar 10, 2011

Dinosaur Gum
Cracks open up in Auriga to hasten core cooling, lava pours out etc. Could be interesting in terms of landscape changes and it might bring deposits of dust and other interesting things/interactions to the surface. I'm just stoked EL is getting some more love.

The Deleter posted:

I hope they remove the combat entirely and laugh at people who complain.

Also this is a bad opinion. I wish the combat in ES2 was slightly more like EL and less like ES. I mean it's space, so it can't be a carbon copy, but just a bit more tactical would have been nice. Instead of just choose a formation and watch it go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Deleter
May 22, 2010

Xik posted:

Also this is a bad opinion. I wish the combat in ES2 was slightly more like EL and less like ES. I mean it's space, so it can't be a carbon copy, but just a bit more tactical would have been nice. Instead of just choose a formation and watch it go.

Tactical combat in 4x games sucks because it is almost always a crappier second game hidden inside the first game, with less thought put into it. There's hardly any actual tactical thought required for most of them. Space 4X games suffer the most because it's hard to actually include things like terrain or meaningful manoeuvres in an infinite 3D space, so they don't bother. There's no excuse when something like Sorcerer King or Stardrive's ground combat doesn't even try and just puts everyone on a flat grid.

I can count the tactical combat systems I've enjoyed in 4X games on one hand - Sword of the Stars 1 is Total War in space and the tactical combat is basically the entire point of the game, and Age of Wonders is so insanely detailed that you can have weird interactions complicate things constantly. Endless Legend's combat is inoffensive but I would rather they committed to it with either full micro or total hands off, and not the half and half we have.