Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Lurking Haro posted:

I thought hard how a gas spring can fail like this until it dawned unto me that it was the seat that was the weak point.

I think in this situation the anus was the weakest point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I think in this situation the anus was the weakest point.

Sir_Lagsalot
May 6, 2007

Connection error
If I recall correctly, the chair story is the gas spring was contaminated with flammable vapors. When the person sat down, the cylinder either sparked or acted as a fire piston. Vapors ignite, cylinder gets blown apart, and the sitter gets torn a new one.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Every chair I've ever sat in is contaminated with flammable vapors.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Kibayasu posted:

Wasn’t there a short lived TV series about a nuclear train?

Not short-lived enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUERtAe73NI

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

That's a top quality prank. No harm done, the operator lifted the bucket so it wouldn't hit the patsy, and it looks nice and hot there so he'll dry off quickly.

I initially thought that the big lad doing pull ups first was going to cause the whole thing to tip over.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I'm glad that no-one got bonked on the head and ended with spinal damage. A+ harmless gag

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop
Anything is better than Nuclear chat:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozz-llhD9Fc

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Classic.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Hellooo new fetish

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Can't see her shoes, assuming dead

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Every chair I've ever sat in is contaminated with flammable vapors.

:same:

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

Lazyhound posted:

Supertrain. It was a clusterfuck.

Real talk, I was a kid in the 70s and watched the big 2 hour premiere of that POS. It was Love Boat on rails. At least Love Boat was often entertaining.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Messadiah posted:

If your shoes are in your locker is that like some kinda horcrux?

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

Messadiah posted:

Schrodinger's Shoes, they are both on and off at the same time.

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013
Making a post about how their shoes fell off? I see what you did there. *tips fedora, adjusts male ponytail, vapes*

thatbastardken
Apr 23, 2010

A contract signed by a minor is not binding!
vaguely relating to nuclear chat, what are the OSHA risks like for working in renewable energy? I guess you get people falling off roofs installing solar panels and general electrocution hazards?

Pseudohog
Apr 4, 2007

thatbastardken posted:

vaguely relating to nuclear chat, what are the OSHA risks like for working in renewable energy? I guess you get people falling off roofs installing solar panels and general electrocution hazards?

Falling off wind turbines, getting trapped by fire on top of wind turbines, that kind of thing...
https://gineersnow.com/industries/renewables/two-mechanics-died-wind-turbine-fire-helped-wind-industry

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
For solar thermal, blindness/burns from reflected light if you're working on the tower and some dipshit aims the mirrors at it, I guess

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
https://i.imgur.com/25J89Kl.mp4

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost
https://i.imgur.com/d6kKa2z.mp4

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

Looks like I missed my turn! There's only one thing to do! A WHOLE LOT OF FLOORING IT!

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
This almost always happens because of someone mistaking the accelerator and the brake pedal.

It probably went like they put it in reverse, backed up a bit to make the turn, then go to stop themselves to put the car back in forwards gear again. Except their brain misses the "move foot from gas to brake" step, and they end up pushing the accelerator again instead. And then the car isn't stopping, so they keep stomping hard on what they think is the brake until it eventually crashes into something and stops on its own.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

P00H indeed.

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest

Jabor posted:

This almost always happens because of someone mistaking the accelerator and the brake pedal.

It probably went like they put it in reverse, backed up a bit to make the turn, then go to stop themselves to put the car back in forwards gear again. Except their brain misses the "move foot from gas to brake" step, and they end up pushing the accelerator again instead. And then the car isn't stopping, so they keep stomping hard on what they think is the brake until it eventually crashes into something and stops on its own.

well the car stopped so i guess the "brake" worked

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://i.imgur.com/CZas84A.mp4

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

:psyduck: There are so many bad decisions leading up to that.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

Were they falling asleep at the wheel or were they trying to pass the trailer because it sort of looks like both at the same time.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Looks like they're trying to pass on the right side, goes too far out (maybe loses grip?), then overcorrects and slams into the trailer.

DrPossum
May 15, 2004

i am not a surgeon

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A VHS INTO THE SLOT. ITS STAPLERFAHRER KLAUS AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, KLAUS.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

The number of times I've seen this happen on my normal commute is pretty amazing. People just assume that the lane they're changing into on a blind move is always clear. I've been running a dashcam (which captures both the view over the hood, and myself) for the last 4 months and of course, they've been boring commutes.

Same here. I’ve only seen it cause an accident once but the speed differential was only like 15 mph rather than 60+ so it was just a fender bender.

People are stupid assholes.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Would. Looks fun as hell

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
So does the bit with the fire extinguishers and the platform.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
I'm curious as to what your terrible opinions about the Culture series are.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

GotLag posted:

I'm curious as to what your terrible opinions about the Culture series are.

Me too. I really like the books and Banks was one of my favorite authors and I'm sad that he died so early, I guess that could be it?

mostlygray
Nov 1, 2012

BURY ME AS I LIVED, A FREE MAN ON THE CLUTCH

Jabor posted:

The only time I've done this is when I've gone from driving a fork truck to driving a car with an automatic.

It goes like this: Get in the car, put it in reverse, back out of the spot, turn your right blinker on with the throttle still depressed, then stomp on the gas again to stop and reverse direction. If it was an electric fork truck, it would work perfectly via "plugging".

In a car, bad things happen. You do realize it right away though. If plugging isn't working in a forklift, you switch your foot to the brake automatically.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

mostlygray posted:

The only time I've done this is when I've gone from driving a fork truck to driving a car with an automatic.

It goes like this: Get in the car, put it in reverse, back out of the spot, turn your right blinker on with the throttle still depressed, then stomp on the gas again to stop and reverse direction. If it was an electric fork truck, it would work perfectly via "plugging".

In a car, bad things happen. You do realize it right away though. If plugging isn't working in a forklift, you switch your foot to the brake automatically.
Never had this happen, but I imagine if it did, instinctively you might freak out "why does the brake not brake" and try to press it harder. I did once have the mat get stuck over the gad pedal somehow but just immediately pressed the clutch and that was that.

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
Getting a can perfectly wedged behind my brake pedal in the interstate was one of the scariest moments of my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Awesome. She just looks so happy!