Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

I figured out it wasn't going to be a year was when I checked how many numbers you could enter. It was pointlessly obtuse and they could've at least added the letters to the keypad to make it a bit more obvious that it could've been a word instead of a series of numbers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OutofSight
May 4, 2017

Paul Zuvella posted:

I mean, I think it is safe to say no. LiS was one of those things that just come together to be such much better than the sum of its parts. They struck lightning in a bottle between the look, music, characters, and themes.

Dontnod's output has always been... lets say mixed, so there really is a not insignificant chance that they just got really, really lucky with season 1 and season 2 could just be middling.

Pretty much.

Also lets not forget that some nerds can be a pretty unpleasant bunch. They expect fictional works to consistently hit the same emotional high for them like it was the first time, even when it may not be fault of the product.
(In some longer running franchises some people's favourite title is pretty much the first they played. After that is was always chasing that first hype.)

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The “word being the phone pin” thing is stupid because literally no one thinks about how phones used to have letters on the number pad anymore, especially not a drunk, angry dad

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

That aside, while I know the pin code for the phone now ("hawtdawg" spelled out using the numbers on a phone), is there any actual way for the player to figure it out on their own (like something around the house you can look at or something)?

You aren't meant to solve the phone pin code on your own.

The developers said that there were going to be things that the players had to work on together to solve. My guess is they were hoping it would take us longer to solve the phone pin code than it did. People figured it out the day it came out.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Yeah, they could have made it a bit more obvious (like putting letters on the numbers as suggested) or at the very least just made it a little easter egg you could find and not one of the objectives listed in the log. The minigame itself is kind of a fun diversion though so there's that at least.

I think the fact that it's listed as one of the optional objectives is what annoys me the most (though I guess I could give them credit for going against the natural instinct of your average LiS player), but it's not that big a deal in the long run and I doubt any of the mandatory puzzles in LiS 2 will be quite that irritating.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Jun 26, 2018

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Orange Sunshine posted:

The developers said that there were going to be things that the players had to work on together to solve. My guess is they were hoping it would take us longer to solve the phone pin code than it did. People figured it out the day it came out.

You need to create a really insane layered puzzle if you want players to solve the thing faster than in a day. The WoW devs have been trying to do this recently with their hidden stuff this expansion. Most of the stuff takes a day or two, but I think a recent one ended up taking like a week. It's a fun idea for a bunch of people playing a game to collaborate on a puzzle but it needs to be more than a single thing you have to figure out.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Larryb posted:

the graffiti on Eliot's wall in BtS Episode 2 for example)objectives you can complete.

Speaking of graffiti on the wall - what's been scrawled and then hurriedly painted over on the side of the house is really depressing.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

glad she is dead posted:

Speaking of graffiti on the wall - what's been scrawled and then hurriedly painted over on the side of the house is really depressing.

I think I missed that, what's it say?

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

Larryb posted:

I think I missed that, what's it say?

Wino, Chris says a lot of people like to go to the bar anyway.

Eshettar
May 9, 2013

*whispers*

yospos, bithc

exquisite tea posted:

My proudest accomplishment in all of video games was figuring out the D'ni counting system and fire marble puzzles in Riven over the course of several months. Last night I just googled the combination for the dad's locker because that's how little patience I have left now.

I remember an old Amiga magazine which would tantalize me with screenshots of the Kings Quest games. I gazed at them longingly, desperately wishing for the chance to roam that breath-taking fantasy realm myself. With the benefit of hindsight, I was too young to know any better. Those graphics were beautiful for the era but their enchanting loveliness served to disguise the brutal reality of a place where life was so cheap that merely standing in front of a rock while you tried to move it would lead to your death. My spirit would have been crushed along with Sir Graham's skull if I tackled one of those games.

I was given Simon the Sorcerer for my birthday which was a much better deal because it was a delightfully fun game that took the mickey out of epic fantasy sagas in general. The Legend Of Kyrandia and the the Gobliiin series though...oof.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Orange Sunshine posted:

Lmao that's so dumb. The PIN code isn't even a good puzzle. It's a simple puzzle made hard by being obtuse. Spelling something with phone keys is fine, it's well within the realm of sensible videogame puzzle logic imo. But how do you get to hawtdawg man without guessing?

LiS is no stranger to bad puzzles but wowee.

Side note: I really don't get why people call Max a "blank slate". Boring or bland maybe, but I can't see her as just a blank player avatar.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

LoseHound posted:

Lmao that's so dumb. The PIN code isn't even a good puzzle. It's a simple puzzle made hard by being obtuse. Spelling something with phone keys is fine, it's well within the realm of sensible videogame puzzle logic imo. But how do you get to hawtdawg man without guessing?

LiS is no stranger to bad puzzles but wowee.

Side note: I really don't get why people call Max a "blank slate". Boring or bland maybe, but I can't see her as just a blank player avatar.

Fair, Max isn't exactly a blank slate per se and has a defined personality but her only interesting quality is that she's a bit of a dork and can be kind of a huge bitch when she stops playing nice (that's not always a bad thing mind you, the sassy Max we see at the Vortex party in Episode 4 is probably my favorite incarnation of the character).

Otherwise she's kind of bland and nearly every other character is far more interesting than she is. It also doesn't help that we learn more about Chloe in the first game than we do about our actual main character. I just hope that the LiS 2 protagonist is a bit more interesting, that's all.

But yeah, the whole phone puzzle thing was just poor decision making on DontNod's part (I understand what they were trying to go for but it didn't work). As has been mentioned, previous LiS games have trained players to immediately start searching the area for potential numbers when they come across puzzles like this, all they had to do was give some sort of visual indication that the code could be the telephone equivalent of a word or phrase.

As you said, there have been some annoying puzzles in LiS games (bottle hunting, having to fail once in order to get the solution, some of the photos, thinking to look at Eliot's slate again after snooping through his room, etc.) but I think this one went a little too far.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Jun 27, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
I think Max's main problem was that there wasn't anyone around who knew her well. Chloe'd been separated from her for too long. I think if Max had come with her parents and we'd gotten some family scenes we would've gotten to know her a lot better.

LoseHound
Nov 10, 2012

Viridiant posted:

I think Max's main problem was that there wasn't anyone around who knew her well. Chloe'd been separated from her for too long. I think if Max had come with her parents and we'd gotten some family scenes we would've gotten to know her a lot better.

I feel like Ep1 did a pretty good job of showing Max's personality. She's a well-meaning but socially anxious dork. I enjoy games where the protagonist isn't put on a pedestal and the great savior of all, so I really liked that Juliet's first response to Max trying to help is "hey Main Character, please solve this" but "i don't even know you, do you actually care". The skaters and Brooke seem to love calling Max out as a poser who doesn't know as much as she thinks she does. To everyone else, Caulfield is the phony because nobody actually knows her. I also loved how her being an adventure game protagonist was incorporated into her character by making her a snoop.

If you that's bland or generic then I can see that, she's not the most exciting. I like her though.

Larryb posted:

But yeah, the whole phone puzzle thing was just poor decision making on DontNod's part (I understand what they were trying to go for but it didn't work). As has been mentioned, previous LiS games have trained players to immediately start searching the area for potential numbers when they come across puzzles like this, all they had to do was give some sort of visual indication that the code could be the telephone equivalent of a word or phrase.

As you said, there have been some annoying puzzles in LiS games (bottle hunting, having to fail once in order to get the solution, some of the photos, thinking to look at Eliot's slate again after snooping through his room, etc.) but I think this one went a little too far.

The problem with the puzzle wasn't the phone key thing, that just requires a little bit of lateral thinking. What's weird is that the phrase in question is hawtdawg man, something we have no real reason to associate with the Dad.

LoseHound fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Jun 27, 2018

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Max is a great fully realized character and the best possible lead for the entire central conceit of Life is Strange 1.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

True, while I'm a bit more partial to Chloe personally I like that Max isn't really presented as a "hero" in the traditional sense (in fact, only a handful of people in the game actually like her at first) and that she has plenty of her own flaws (which have started to become a lot more apparent to me after playing Before the Storm). She also does clearly develop more as the game goes on (the Max from Episode 1 and the Max from the last two episodes are almost completely different people).

Late game Max is fine, it's the early stuff that feels kind of rough in parts and I do wish we'd been able to learn a bit more about her such as actually getting to meet her parents outside of text messages (hell, you don't even find out their names unless you happen to look at a postcard in the alternate timeline).

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I think it's just both Chloe and Rachel are just well defined characters, going back to LIS Max just kind of ends up feeling "eh"

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Macaluso posted:

I think it's just both Chloe and Rachel are just well defined characters, going back to LIS Max just kind of ends up feeling "eh"

Yeah, I think a lot of my current feelings regarding Max mostly come from going back to the original after playing BtS. Going from Chloe to Max just seems like a bit of a downgrade to me on some level and as I mentioned her flaws are a lot more apparent to me now.

She kind of comes off as, in her own words, a "self-righteous hypocrite" at times who doesn't want to get personally involved but isn't above tooting her own horn when she does and telling others what to do (though I suppose that's probably the point). Like I said, she does get better though and I don't outright hate her or anything, I just feel like Chloe is the more compelling character out of the two.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Jun 27, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Oh I don't think she was bland or generic, I was just talking about what they could've done to improve upon her for those that do.

I think she's an adorable dweeb who was thrown into a situation way outsized for her maturity level and I think it's pretty rad that she comes out the other end sane. Or at least she appears to be sane, I'm sure it traumatized the gently caress outta her. Whatever happens that's way too much weight for anyone to carry, let alone someone that young.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Viridiant posted:

I think she's an adorable dweeb who was thrown into a situation way outsized for her maturity level and I think it's pretty rad that she comes out the other end sane. Or at least she appears to be sane, I'm sure it traumatized the gently caress outta her. Whatever happens that's way too much weight for anyone to carry, let alone someone that young.

Don't forget the scene with the Maxes in the diner. She is definitely hosed up by it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Viridiant posted:

Oh I don't think she was bland or generic, I was just talking about what they could've done to improve upon her for those that do.

She's on the verge of losing it by the end at any rate, the Max we see on the cliff at the end is a broken child desperately clinging to the only thing that still matters to her at that point while Chloe is trying to be the voice of reason. It's kind of neat how the two of them gradually start to swap roles as the game goes on actually (and as much as I have problems with Episode 5, god drat do Burch and Telle manage to sell that final scene). The fact that Max essentially spent an entire week fighting a war against the will of the very universe itself and came out in (relatively) one piece at the end is impressive.

Of course, while Max's hell only lasted a week Chloe had basically spent the last 5 years there so it's kind of amazing that she was as well adjusted as she was too, right up to volunteering to offer up her life for the sake of her friends and family (a lot of that was probably due to Rachel's influence to be fair, who had her own problems but ultimately wasn't able to withstand them). It's kind of interesting how all 3 main girls served as both part of the problem and as victims of it (some more than others). I hope LiS 2's cast manages to be just as compelling.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Jun 27, 2018

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Chloe is a loving saint.

Literally, in one ending.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

VagueRant posted:

• Choices? Gone. (The neighbour is a cutscene!)

Mrs Reynolds? No she's not. You can either convince her nothing's wrong and she just offers a place to stay, or fail to convince her and she tells you she'll be back in a bit to take you out of there.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I completed all the tasks, but didn't get any scene in Mantroid's planet explaining that his name as a portmanteau of the streets the mom died at; did I miss something? I know there's a newspaper clipping in the garage that names the streets, but there was no indication in the planet cutscene.

I like that they explicitly namedrop Frozen, but he owns an off-brand Frozen toy. Also, I noticed that Chris' mom owns a creepy photo compilation by Mark Jefferson on the shelves.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)
Did you play in the car?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

Yeah, then I landed on the planet, and then there was just a bunch of Mantroid's voice making threats at Chris, then Chris passes out and wakes up next to the car saying Mantroid will pay.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Argue posted:

Yeah, then I landed on the planet, and then there was just a bunch of Mantroid's voice making threats at Chris, then Chris passes out and wakes up next to the car saying Mantroid will pay.
Wasn't there a street sign?

There totally are choices: all the character generation you do in the beginning. Mask or helmet?

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

That could be it. I was heading towards what looked like a lamppost and a mailbox, but Chris passed out before then.

Pladdicus
Aug 13, 2010

these games are misery engines that exist to make you feel lovely and the credit closer for BtS was vicious

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Pladdicus posted:

these games are misery engines that exist to make you feel lovely and the credit closer for BtS was vicious

:yeah:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Argue posted:

That could be it. I was heading towards what looked like a lamppost and a mailbox, but Chris passed out before then.

That was it, it shows you the street sign for a second or two before he passes out. You must have just missed it (as far as I know the costume itself is purely cosmetic and choosing different options for it doesn't really effect anything that much).

Also for the moment I'm assuming Bae is canon solely because of the Mark Jefferson book on the shelf (as mentioned earlier, unless it'd just been sitting there for a while I doubt you'd keep the photo collection of a convicted felon around for very long), not to mention the fact that the upcoming comic seems to be going in that direction as well..

And yes, this series is basically a tribute to human misery (yet at the same time also goofy as gently caress), that's part of the reason why I love it so much.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jun 27, 2018

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

There's also a letter where the crossing is spelled out because the dad was looking for CCTV footage.

Larryb posted:

And yes, this series is basically a tribute to human misery (yet at the same time also goofy as gently caress), that's part of the reason why I love it so much.
I'd love a Dontnod Plague Dogs game.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Pladdicus posted:

And that's all fine with me, there are plenty of games I can play for more a more cheerful mood, I like the tone these games set. The stinger at the end of BtS though was completely unnecessary. I still hate it

Orange Sunshine
May 10, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Larryb posted:

That was it, it shows you the street sign for a second or two before he passes out. You must have just missed it (as far as I know the costume itself is purely cosmetic and choosing different options for it doesn't really effect anything that much).

Also for the moment I'm assuming Bae is canon solely because of the Mark Jefferson book on the shelf (as mentioned earlier, unless it'd just been sitting there for a while I doubt you'd keep the photo collection of a convicted felon around for very long), not to mention the fact that the upcoming comic seems to be going in that direction as well..

Not necessarily. The book is sitting on a bookshelf, where it could have been basically forgotten. It belonged to Chris' mother, who is dead. Chris' father may not know anything about the book. Given that he downs a bottle of whiskey first thing in the morning, he's probably not too focused on the little details.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Orange Sunshine posted:

Not necessarily. The book is sitting on a bookshelf, where it could have been basically forgotten. It belonged to Chris' mother, who is dead. Chris' father may not know anything about the book. Given that he downs a bottle of whiskey first thing in the morning, he's probably not too focused on the little details.

True, that doesn't mean much as that book could have been sitting there for years. I am sort of curious if they're going to give a definite answer to that in LiS 2 or leave it purposefully ambiguous. I'd prefer the latter to be honest as canonizing one ending over another in a game like this is probably going to piss some people off no matter which direction you go.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

There is literally no way they even slightly allude to one direction on the ending of LiS. The only thing that will accomplish is piss 50% of fans off.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Obviously the solution is to go Deus Ex 2 and make both endings canon: Both Cloe and the town die.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

In fact, I don't think they could even bring back a character from the previous game without hinting at a "canon" ending in the process (maybe Max herself but even that's a little iffy). Plus, to anyone not named Max Caulfield all that happened in the Sacrifice Chloe timeline was that Chloe got shot, Nathan and Jefferson were arrested and Rachel's body was discovered by the police.

Most likely LiS 2 is more or less just going to be it's own self-contained thing with maybe a few vague allusions here and there and I'm fine with that to be honest. Max and Chloe have already served their time in Hell, now it's somebody else's turn. I suppose it's possible they we could wind up in Seattle and meet Max's family/former friends at some point though. I imagine that the unexplained deaths and teenage freight hoppers they mentioned may factor into the plot somehow as well.

Aside from that, I like that there are certain events in Captain Spirit that happen in real time and hope we get a bit more of that in LiS 2 proper.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 21:02 on Jun 27, 2018

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Paul Zuvella posted:

There is literally no way they even slightly allude to one direction on the ending of LiS. The only thing that will accomplish is piss 50% of fans off.

Thinking about it more I suppose if they really wanted to acknowledge the ending they could present it as an in-game choice. For example, somebody could bring up Arcadia Bay at some point and your character could respond that they'd heard that either a girl once got shot there or that the town was destroyed.

This might be too much work but they could also possibly give the player a customizable story experience by asking questions at the start like "Have you played Life is Strange before?". "What did you choose at the end?", "Have you played Before the Storm?", etc (or just have it read your save data from those games). That way you could potentially satisfy both groups.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Jun 27, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Stare-Out posted:

Oh, anyone scan the QR code that was on the little flyer in Chris' room? I tried it just to try it and it actually works! It says

A ragged colt may make a good horse

Whatever that means.

Has anyone figured out if this means anything? It’s hella weird and has nothing to do with the flyer the code is on.

• Locked thread