Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Nuclear War posted:

I'm really surprised people say the leads of Castle hated each other. I haven''t watched the last couple of seasons but they always seemed to have great chemistry. I also really loved the show as a background noise sort of thing - Nathan Fillion just does it for me.

It was probably mostly Stana Katic's coke habit and failed pregnancy that drove them apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

duck trucker posted:

Lovits playing a serial killer.

Now I want this.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Der Kyhe posted:

The last season of Scrubs was really just "we do something because we were told to report back to the studio", the second-to-last season even ended with a perfectly acceptable series ender for a comedy series.
I don't know how it holds up but I didn't mind the last season of Scrubs. I thought basically replacing the cast but keeping the old ones as secondary and background characters was a good idea.

food court bailiff posted:

Everyone always says Dexter started off great and got bad at the end but the very first season is all about Damaged-But-Still-Super-Cool serial killer Dexter fighting his long lost evil twin, it's like an edgy middle schooler's creative writing assignment.
The first season is more closely based on the books (which are terrible). Even so, they cut out a lot of the worst parts of the book, but there's only so much you can do - unless you do like the TV versions of Lucifer or iZombie and just take the name but ditch 99% of everything else.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Everyone always says Dexter started off great and got bad at the end but the very first season is all about Damaged-But-Still-Super-Cool serial killer Dexter fighting his long lost evil twin, it's like an edgy middle schooler's creative writing assignment.

"THEY WERE TRAPPED IN THERE WITH ALL THE BLOOD FOR DAYS!!!!"

the early seasons are still absolutely trashy as gently caress, it's just much better-executed trashiness

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

Tiggum posted:

I don't know how it holds up but I didn't mind the last season of Scrubs. I thought basically replacing the cast but keeping the old ones as secondary and background characters was a good idea.

I may have mentioned it before in this very thread but I found Sunny to be the only tolerable new character introduced and when she didn't come back I lost all interest.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Tiggum posted:

The new cast was horrible though. They tried to make James Franco's brother, who was immediately established to be a horrible sex monster, into a sympathetic poor smart guy ditz and it was not done smartly

londonarbuckle
Feb 23, 2017

Wheat Loaf posted:

What are the worst examples of tv shows that completely ran out of juice in their final seasons? You know, where the cast is visibly exhausted and everything and there's a pervasive sense that they just want to get it over with and go home?

This only kind of counts, but season 5 of SNL, the last season with the original cast, was very much this. I know season 6 with the all-new cast has a worse reputation, but it was still remarkably bad. Aykroyd and Belushi were gone, Murray and Gilda were both clearly exhausted and checked out, Garret Morris and probably Laraine Newman were more strung-out than ever, and pretty much all of it was a trainwreck. The only one who still seemed to care was Jane Curtin, she was delighted that Aykroyd and Belushi were gone and she tried out a lot of new characters. Also, Harry Shearer was there. The episode with David Bowie was cool though.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I would not have hated it, probably even liked it, if it were organized and marketed as a Scrubs spinoff or continuance series. I actually liked the new main character and they way it was interwoven into the original series. Because the original series it was not, but could have been a passable continuance of the story/franchise/whatever.

The way the network forced it to be the "New and Improved Scrubs, now with vitamin C!" was my key issue. Horrible IPR management followed by a cavalcade of idiotic executive-level decisions by the network.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
Season 4 of Dexter was the last one I watched, which made watching Trial and Error that much more fun. In T&E, Lithgow plays a former college professor in a small, South Carolina town who may have killed his wife, and plays the character so well that he keeps you guessing through the entire season.

Going from season 4 serial killer Lithgow to his goofy character in a sitcom about a murder gives it a fun sense of whiplash.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I'll never forget the scene in Dexter where John Lithgow calls his wife a oval office over dinner.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

Dexter eventually went down the road that his sister wanted to gently caress him. I don't remember if she ever actually told him but there were too many episodes where she dealt with that.

I like talking about Dexter. I got really into it from a short time where I had no cable or Internet and the first few seasons were the only DVDs I had.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Wasn't that after their IRL marriage had fallen apart? That's pretty funny.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

OutOfPrint posted:

Season 4 of Dexter was the last one I watched, which made watching Trial and Error that much more fun. In T&E, Lithgow plays a former college professor in a small, South Carolina town who may have killed his wife, and plays the character so well that he keeps you guessing through the entire season.

Going from season 4 serial killer Lithgow to his goofy character in a sitcom about a murder gives it a fun sense of whiplash.

That’s supposed to be a parody of the documentary series the staircase Which is up on Netflix now and worth a watch.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Nuclear War posted:

I'm really surprised people say the leads of Castle hated each other. I haven''t watched the last couple of seasons but they always seemed to have great chemistry. I also really loved the show as a background noise sort of thing - Nathan Fillion just does it for me.

Apparently the gossip is that Nathan Fillion was a massive douchebag to everyone on sent and her in particular. I haven’t heard anything above the tabloid-level though so take that information with a grain of salt.

Not Operator
Jan 1, 2009

Not A doctor, THE Doctor!

fruit on the bottom posted:

Apparently the gossip is that Nathan Fillion was a massive douchebag to everyone on sent and her in particular. I haven’t heard anything above the tabloid-level though so take that information with a grain of salt.

I follow him on twitter and at the very least he got along with the girl who played his kid.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I will defend the later seasons of Sabrina the Teenage Witch with this: When Harvey came back from his Hiatus, he became really funny and a lot more interesting because he got a lot of stuff to do due to finally being in on the secret. Standout Moments from Season 6:

1) Salem trying to convince Sabrina and her family to help let him help them cheat at poker. Sabrina turns him down flat, and Harvey does too, but then Josh proves to be a poor winner and Harvey gives Salem a small nod, and they start cheating like crazy.

2) Harvey and Josh discussing Sabrina in the coffee shop. Josh is annoyed and says that he thinks he knows why she and Harvey broke up - Harvey thinks he's figured it out, and during their conversation Josh thinks Harvey is speaking metaphorically about all the weird magic poo poo until this amazing exchange:
H: Well, that's nothing compared to the time she made me pregnant...
J: Wait, what are you talking about?
H: What are you talking about *flees in horror as he realises his mistake*

3) Harvey being in on the secret being discovered by the Spellman family's cruel matriarch, who tortures Harvey to prove his loyalty to the Spellmans and his resolve in keeping her secret. Harvey's final test is to tell her what he thinks of her (in a kind of teasing "Do you think I'm pretty sort of way), and the others are hoping to hell that he'll be complimentary. He summarises his feeling as such: "You are extremely pretty. However, you are also a horrible person." Her response is to admit "Yup, you nailed me. I'm a bitch. Well done, welcome to the family kid."

4) Sabrina's evil twin putting a spell on her via a email virus that turns Sabrina into an airhead. Harvey notices the situation and gets her straight to her aunts for help. Well done Harvey.

He just gets so much to do and it's kind of cool.

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

okay now that we have a baseline imagine how far it must've fallen to make the early seasons look like masterfully-crafted television

like, i don't think normal minds can comprehend that much suck in one sitting

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Not Operator posted:

I follow him on twitter and at the very least he got along with the girl who played his kid.

And she just came out as an alcoholic

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Daria's come up a lot in this thread for ageing scarily well in many ways. And weirdly enough for a 90s show there's even a plot point about Jane basically being a streamer back before streaming had a name. (though I think various odd camera sites were a very early internet thing, I remember some parody cartoons about them) Also the one where a private military contractor recruiting in the high school was rightly seen as morally abhorrent (hard to imagine that kinda thing after Iraq, though now they just have the real military) and Daria writes satirical ultra-violent right-wing fiction.

I don’t think PMCs ever recruit people with no military experience, they would have been better off just using the Marines.

But yeah I saw those episodes the other day and it’s very prescient. Daria intentionally stirred up right wing sentiment by basically trolling people, which she could now do from twitter instead of In person reading at a coffee house she was trying to get closed.

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

BioEnchanted posted:

4) Sabrina's evil twin putting a spell on her via a email virus that turns Sabrina into an airhead. Harvey notices the situation and gets her straight to her aunts for help. Well done Harvey.

Lmao someone actually succumbed to an email curse. She was supposed to forward it to 10 other people!!

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Calaveron posted:

The new cast was horrible though. They tried to make James Franco's brother, who was immediately established to be a horrible sex monster, into a sympathetic poor smart guy ditz and it was not done smartly

He was at least occasionally pretty funny, which is more than can be said about girl JD and the new male lead.

It was better than at least two of the other seasons of Scrubs, which was reheating the same pratfalls and loud non sequitors for over half it's lifetime, but not good.

Der Kyhe posted:

The last season of Scrubs was really just "we do something because we were told to report back to the studio", the second-to-last season even ended with a perfectly acceptable series ender for a comedy series.

It was a full on schmaltzy farewell episode.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I've been rewatching it over the last week while my Prime runs out and there's a lot more homophobia and domestic abuse played for laughs than I remembered.

trickybiscuits
Jan 13, 2008

yospos

Ambitious Spider posted:

Now the xfiles revival... ugh

At least the second movie had the feel of a solid two parter
I watched most of the first season of the X-Files revival and it was all over the place. A few solid episodes, one I didn't like at all, but the one with Rhys Darby was brilliant and hilarious. The sad thing is that even mediocre episodes in the first few seasons were so enjoyable that they reeled me right in.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

This is so tone-deaf it blows my mind, and also underscores the problem behind that particular character trait:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PE_5_BbZlbI

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe
Simpson's Three kids and no money.

Homer slaps Bart right before he says it, and there's even a sound effect.

Most of the youtube versions actually edit out the slap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIEWgwRrY9s

ninjoatse.cx has a new favorite as of 21:31 on Jun 27, 2018

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Yeah just jfc if it got worse since the pilot alone was some of the worst tv I’ve ever endured.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

At least it didn't involve an evil spirit. Apparently the books get super weird

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
Do you mean his...

...Dark Passenger?

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Volcott posted:

Do you mean his...

...Dark Passenger?

Yeah. But in the books it's a literal demon instead of him rationalizing murdering people

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Moloch the demon! He was influencing Dexter the whole time! We learn that in the third book. After that, it's dropped like a sack of bricks and never mentioned again.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Leavemywife posted:

Moloch the demon! He was influencing Dexter the whole time! We learn that in the third book. After that, it's dropped like a sack of bricks and never mentioned again.

Sounds like the author had his own Dork Passenger.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That’s no way to talk about hemorrhoids

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

UltraRed posted:

Simpson's Three kids and no money.

Homer slaps Bart right before he says it, and there's even a sound effect.

Most of the youtube versions actually edit out the slap.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HIEWgwRrY9s

Huh? It's a well established thing that Homer strangles Bart on a pretty regular basis. I'm sure they've quietly retired that now, but this seems pretty tame by comparison.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

I also looked up a bunch of other clips on YT of that scene and they all had the slap in them :psyduck:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

trickybiscuits posted:

I watched most of the first season of the X-Files revival and it was all over the place. A few solid episodes, one I didn't like at all, but the one with Rhys Darby was brilliant and hilarious. The sad thing is that even mediocre episodes in the first few seasons were so enjoyable that they reeled me right in.

That episode was definitely the high point. Such a weird meta-commentary on how we didn't need an x-files revival. The transphobic joke at the end is a huge blemish though. "I might be a were-monster, but trans women are really weird! Waka-Waka!"

blech

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Wheat Loaf posted:

What are the worst examples of tv shows that completely ran out of juice in their final seasons? You know, where the cast is visibly exhausted and everything and there's a pervasive sense that they just want to get it over with and go home?

I wrote an article for Cracked, back 10 years ago when it wasn't horrible poo poo, that looked at exactly this:
https://archive.li/y0iw0

Basically

- Roseanne's last season was off the rails stupid
- Flintstones brought in time traveling, wish granting alien
- Family Matters turned into Urkel's sci fi wackyporium
- Felicity, freaking felicity, turned from romcom teen show to time traveling witch poo poo
- Airwolf lost the rights to use the helicopter, so it pieced together shows with archived footage of the Airwolf

hard counter
Jan 2, 2015

trickybiscuits posted:

the one with Rhys Darby was brilliant and hilarious.

the nod to one of x-files' biggest influences was also lovely :allears:

sadly because of quality shows like the x-files kolchak the night stalker feels super dated looking back now

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
Kolchak is still good stuff, though. I got the whole series for like, $17 at Wal-Mart. Easily one of the best purchases I've made there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drunk Nerds posted:

I wrote an article for Cracked, back 10 years ago when it wasn't horrible poo poo, that looked at exactly this:
https://archive.li/y0iw0

Basically

- Roseanne's last season was off the rails stupid
- Flintstones brought in time traveling, wish granting alien
- Family Matters turned into Urkel's sci fi wackyporium
- Felicity, freaking felicity, turned from romcom teen show to time traveling witch poo poo
- Airwolf lost the rights to use the helicopter, so it pieced together shows with archived footage of the Airwolf

I remember this article, good work.