Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

norp
Jan 20, 2004

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

let's invade New Zealand, they have oil
Predicated upon the LNP not kicking some giant own goals in the meantime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

bandaid.friend posted:

bugger crimes against humanity, the government squeezing the young and the poor and the ever-present threat a foreign orange-painted urine enthusiast is champing at the bit to start a pointless war we'd be obligated to join in on it's time for the REAL NEWS

https://www.kotaku.com.au/2018/06/the-senate-will-consider-a-motion-to-investigate-loot-boxes-tomorrow/

This is actually really good. Some of the most popular games, particularly on mobile, have highly predatory gambling systems in the form of microtransactions and lootboxes. And unlike the traditional gambling industry, which is bad enough, there’s basically no regulation or oversight stopping developers from using highly exploitative systems to get people hooked.

Arguing that good things shouldn’t happen because there are more pressing issues is some dogshit level analysis.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Our media landscape is hosed and Conroy should have gone full Stalin when Newscorp was labelling him as such anyway.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

AgentF posted:

Our media landscape is hosed and Conroy should have gone full Stalin when Newscorp was labelling him as such anyway.

MEANWHILE

Sean Ashby sold his house to start making underpants.

In the 17 years since, the personal trainer-turned businessman has worked to build a thriving empire, selling his iconic underwear and swimwear label aussieBum in stores throughout Australia and to loyal customers in 120 countries around the globe.

But a decision by Opposition Leader Bill Shorten to put a $20 billion tax hike on companies like aussieBum has the Sydney businessman questioning future investment, and pay rises for his 35 staff.

"There is no motivation to grow your business if all you are doing is paying more tax," he said.

"Where it is going to hit is wages. You can kiss bonuses goodbye."

The business - headquartered in the Labor stronghold of Grayndler, held by frontbencher Anthony Albanese - has an annual turnover of between $10 million and $50 million, making it one of the 20,000 companies which would have a tax cut legislated by the Coalition withdrawn by a Shorten-led government.

The repeal, which came as a surprise to Mr Shorten's own MPs and has set up a high-stakes contest at the impending round of 'Super Saturday' byelections, will apply to small to medium sized Australian companies including local supermarkets, service stations, manufacturers and builders.

"There is never a shortage of politicians wanting to shake my hand at our success," said Mr Ashby.

"I just wonder if they would be so forthcoming if they had to explain how repealing the tax cut is going to benefit my business and more importantly my suppliers and my staff."

Labor frontbencher Ed Husic - one of four shadow ministers forced to defend the policy on Wednesday - said there will always be "some businesses that will be upset and uptight".

Labor has argued tough decisions are needed to fund hospitals and schools, and cuts for companies with an annual turnover above $10 million are unaffordable.

KPMG enterprise tax partner Brett Mitchell said repealing the cuts from 30 to 25 cents in the dollar would hit the sector of the economy "most vulnerable" to tax change.

"It is quite regrettable. It does lead to confusion in the mid-market and that market does require certainty," he said.

Labor is undecided over whether to repeal tax cuts for up to 100,000 businesses earning between $2 million and $10 million, but it is understood this is now very unlikely.

Mr Mitchell said businesses in the $10 to $50 million turnover bracket had to assess whether they would take a risk and expand to become a significant player or play it safe at a lower tax threshold.

That decision is particularly important for exporters like Mr Ashby, who need to take into account international markets like the US, where President Donald Trump has slashed the company tax rate to 21 per cent.

"Cash flow is very important to that size of business," Mr Mitchell said.

"It leads to their investment decisions and recruitment plans. Having the goal post move like that puts their planning into disarray."

PricewaterhouseCoopers Australian tax leader Pete Calleja warned the repeal would put future record employment growth at risk.

He said it was critical MPs on both sides gave business a predictable tax position.

"To take those tax cuts away from small business means they will have less capacity to invest and less capacity to grow," he said.

Mr Ashby said he would now have to bank on “the worst rather than best case tax scenario” and the uncertainty would restrict his investment decisions.

“It’s like a backhanded slap by someone that doesn’t even know our business.”

Finance Minister Mathias Cormann has pursued all-or-nothing negotiations with the Senate crossbench over the remainder of the Turnbull government's signature tax cuts, which would lower the tax rate to 25 per cent for all companies. A vote on the package could occur Thursday.

The already legislated tax cuts for companies turning over $50 million will cost $29.8 billion in foregone revenue over the next decade if Labor is not elected next year, while the unlegislated cuts would sacrifice an extra $35.6 billion over the same period.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again
Watch Malcolm Turnbull go from zero to hero in no time flat. The media is really biting hard on this.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
It's official, the newest battle in the Great Australian Culture war is plastic bags, at least we aren't talking about the Ramsay Centre anymore.

quote:

The ban on plastic shopping bags just makes shopping a bigger hassle for all:

Mice, cockroaches, needles, razor blades, dentures and dirty nappies have been found by supermarket check-out workers in reusable shopping bags, with employees told they can refuse to pack unhygienic bags.

As Coles joins Woolworths in ditching the use of single-use plastic bags at check-outs, the supermarkets giants have moved to address employee concerns about packing dirty shopping bags. The companies have also sought to ­address staff concerns about customers being aggressive or abusive in response to the ban. Employees have expressed fear they could suffer injuries from lifting heavy reusable bags when customers insist staff overpack them.

Then there's the danger of food poisoning to shoppers packing their food in such filth.

We're told the ban will save some turtles from choking on plastic. But a few dead turtles seems a small price to pay for the convenience of a plastic bag.

Too shocking? But don't even greens think a few dead kangaroos and wombats is a small price to pay for the convenience of driving briskly at night on a country road?

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/blogs/andrew-bolt/checkout-staff-fear-dirty-green-bags/news-story/57beca8cac7e5e28f6cb9c54dd72611b

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
a few dead turtles seems a small price to pay for the convenience of a plastic bag - Winston Churchill

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
Hard left champion Albo calls on ALP to to get back in touch with the core constituency of... the dang Minions small business owners?!

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Killer Convenience, tonight on a Current Affair.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
People are loving disgusting animals that deserve nothing.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
It was interesting reading the actual Albo speech because he did use small business to distinguish his position, but not on the tax issue. He explicitly said that small business isn’t going to like the ALP tax position.

He actually mentioned people setting up businesses in the context of promoting internal reforms, more direct participation in party elections etc, in the context of the recent Right v Left, Swan v Butler contest for the party presidency. This component did try to stir dissent, but everyone seems to have missed the point.

Friendly Fire
Dec 29, 2004
All my friends got me for my birthday was this stupid custom title. Fuck my friends.

AgentF posted:

We've been using re-useable shopping bags in SA for a while now and it is the easiest goddamn thing in the world. Can you remember to bring your shopping list? Then you can remember to bring your bags. Anyone that complains about it is just being pathetic.

I forget mine all the time because I'm absent minded as gently caress about day to day stuff.

At 15 cents per reusable plastic bag, it's not enough of a cost to make me worry. Even if I need 10 of the drat things for a big grocery day it's only an extra $1.50 when I'm already spending at least $200 to fill them all. Price the loving things at a buck a piece and I might remember.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

JBP posted:

People are loving disgusting animals that deserve nothing.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Goddamn idiots. When you can scapegoat government intervention and environmentalism in order to charge for something you were previously giving away for free, it's basically peak neoliberalism.

:capitalism:

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Anidav posted:

"I just wonder if they would be so forthcoming if they had to explain how repealing the tax cut is going to benefit my business and more importantly my suppliers and my staff."

this is idiotic, the “tax reduction” for domestic entities is essentially a discount on the tax applied to retained earnings (profits not distributed to the owners)

payments to suppliers and staff aren’t affected by this at all.

profits paid to this guy as dividends will be taxed more highly because the franking credit for tax paid at the company level is reduced

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
How the gently caress are lower taxes going to increase employment when we’re already at just about full employment?* :psyboom:

*not including underemployment which is a separate issue do not @ me

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug

JBP posted:

People are loving disgusting animals that deserve nothing, except a bullet.

AgentF
May 11, 2009
Vote 1 Misanthrope Party

Cartoon
Jun 20, 2008

poop

Zenithe posted:

I found it:
The most entitled boomer thing ever
Problem solves itself:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxaK6It5WEk

gucci bane posted:

you know those aren't real generals right buddy?
How can you tell?

The Arsetralian posted:

NATIONAL SECURITY

Five Eyes data detectives to keep watch over immigration The Australian12:00AM June 28, 2018 PRIMROSE RIORDAN Political reporterCanberra

Australia will host a major meeting of the Five Eyes security partners in August to be headlined by “trail-blazing” initiatives across immigration and national security, the head of the Home Affairs Department says.
The meeting of ministers from Australia, Canada, New Zealand, Britain and the US comes as a ­debate on immigration in Europe threatens German Chancellor ­Angela Merkel’s hold on power and amid tensions in the US. Home Affairs secretary Michael Pezzullo last week warned that the five countries were “doing much, but not quickly enough” to plug legal gaps in their approaches to immigration, intelligence, nat­ional security and diplomacy that could be exploited by terror groups and transnational crime networks. “In rethinking the security function of the state, we need to integrate all of our tools of national power, including the cloak and the dagger, the data scientist and the detective, the border officer and the diplomat,” Mr Pezzullo said.

Home Affairs Minister Peter Dutton and Attorney-General Christian Porter will attend the meeting in Sydney, which will also involve leaders from the US ­Department of Homeland Security. “This ministerial grouping has quickly established itself as the pre-eminent ministerial grouping within the Five Eyes architecture, and the meeting in Australia in August will be a trail-blazing one in terms of significantly advancing transnational security collaboration across a broad range of functional problems and mission areas,” Mr Pezzullo said. “This week I am consulting closely with senior US colleagues … and I am very confident that the meeting in Australia will be a ­pivotal one for the five nations ­involved and perhaps of interest to other like-minded partners who may wish … to join us in some of our initiatives.” In the colourful speech referencing Batman and evolutionary ­biology, Mr Pezzullo said data analysis was key to new approaches to halting crime and terrorism. “We are not rapidly enough integrating our efforts across agencies, sectors and vectors,” he said. “We have to rethink our approach to risk, building on the tremendous advances of recent years, but recognising that we are probably only at the base camp of the climb to the summit of best practice in data analytics and risk modelling.”

Debate over Australia’s immigration rate was rekindled this year when The Australian reported Mr Dutton had canvassed with colleagues changes to the intake. Australia’s intake is falling, and is substantially below the 190,000 planned figure this financial year. A recent poll of 1200 people has found for the first time that a ­majority of Australians oppose the current immigration rate. In Germany, Mrs Merkel’s ­coalition is in crisis talks over Interior Minister Horst Seehofer’s plan to reject migrants who have registered in other EU states, contrary to her prior open-door stance. Australia’s former Immigration deputy secretary Abul Rizvi says such pressures in ­Europe may see more nations look at Canberra’s approach, such as border protection, and migrant ­selection and processing. “There is discussion about Australia’s approach … exactly where they are up to in terms of picking those ideas up, I don’t know, I think we’ll see those emerge over a period of time. Certainly the pressures in Europe at the moment may accelerate decisions down that path,” he told The Australian.

Mr Rizvi was critical of Mr Pezzullo’s focus on threats rather than the social, economic and humanitarian aspects of migration. “Because of the decisions Mr Dutton has taken in terms of … the size of the program, he’s reduced it much more significantly than I think people have recognised,” he said.
The ~real~ national security issues :flashfap:

Which should probbaly make one more concerned by:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-06-28/military-call-out-powers-up-for-debate-legislation-in-parliament/9916636

Now it is a response to the Lindt seige findings but seriously, just how hard was it actually for the police to call in the army when they were properly motivated?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1949_Australian_coal_strike

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
bought 3 tickets to see The Undertaker in October at the mcg. i wanna take a train to melbourne from adelaide, is the overland any good?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
oh this is the politics thread

is this shitstorm about bags just a pundit thing or are the public unsure about how they work, weve had them in SA for ages

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Friendly Fire posted:

I forget mine all the time because I'm absent minded as gently caress about day to day stuff.

At 15 cents per reusable plastic bag, it's not enough of a cost to make me worry. Even if I need 10 of the drat things for a big grocery day it's only an extra $1.50 when I'm already spending at least $200 to fill them all. Price the loving things at a buck a piece and I might remember.

Yeah, I often do my shopping on the way home from work (my bus stop is next to the supermarket and it's a waste to walk home then get in the car to drive back) and I'm not carrying around bags all day just to save 30 cents in the event I need to get some stuff for dinner.

That said all in favour of the disposable bag bans because it makes Bolt sad.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Reclines Obesily posted:

is this shitstorm about bags just a pundit thing or are the public unsure about how they work, weve had them in SA for ages

I was gonna say, I was getting reeeeeal confused because I thought this happened ages ago

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reclines Obesily posted:

bought 3 tickets to see The Undertaker in October at the mcg. i wanna take a train to melbourne from adelaide, is the overland any good?

Just how fat are you??

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
if south australians have this figured out the rest of the country surely can

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Just how fat are you??

extremely, that's the reason i'm going to see the undertaker

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
I assume Bolt is connected via the IPA to the plastic bag manufacturers because he’s going really hard trying to sell reusable bags as murder machines.

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Weirdly, at the bottlo I work at people have started refusing bags and even boxes. It’s completely at odds with the hysteria i witnessed in the lead up to the plastic bag ban.

In my opinion, all of societies ills can be traced back to the participation ribbon

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Oh god one of those employment agencies is advertising their podcast on the podcast i'm listening to.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Oh god one of those employment agencies is advertising their podcast on the podcast i'm listening to.

What? An agency is running a podcast? Do they announce whether you have a shift on the podcast rather than paying money for text messages?

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

Schneider Inside Her posted:

Weirdly, at the bottlo I work at people have started refusing bags and even boxes. It’s completely at odds with the hysteria i witnessed in the lead up to the plastic bag ban.

In my opinion, all of societies ills can be traced back to the participation ribbon

Bottle-os should offer their empty cartons to people because I need them for my empties :argh:

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

AgentF posted:

How did people do their shopping at ye olde markets in the millenia before plastic was invented? Just fuckin dying of E coli all the time.

When I was a kid the supermarkets used paper bags. But they’d always tear and they would be chucked after one use and people were worried about the impact on the planet of cutting down native forest to build pine plantations used for paper, so eventually the supermarkets switched to plastic because it was reusable.

And 30 years later, here we are.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You never needed ten shopping bags back in the olden days because you had the time and mental capacity to head out to a market or whatever and do your shopping with a pull cart or a basket.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

JBP posted:

What? An agency is running a podcast? Do they announce whether you have a shift on the podcast rather than paying money for text messages?

Welcome to your dystopian future.

https://www.acast.com/focusonability

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Schneider Inside Her posted:

The local greengrocer I go to has started offering free empty produce boxes in the lead up to the ban. For this purpose they are better in every way, you can fit more in and there's almost no risk of squishing things. Yes, old people are still real mad.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Did anyone catch that Christian Porter wants the army to be able to deploy on Australian soil and shoot people during "terrorist attacks" or "riots"?

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Reclines Obesily posted:

extremely, that's the reason i'm going to see the undertaker

Is Paul Bearer still a thing? or has the Undertaker accepted his fate and got himself a Niles instead?

e. guess so

CATTASTIC fucked around with this message at 02:50 on Jun 28, 2018

Other
Jul 10, 2007

Post it easy!

QUACKTASTIC posted:

Is Paul Bearer still a thing? or has the Undertaker accepted his fate and got himself a Niles instead?

e. guess so

Paul Bearer is dead, like real life, not storyline, dead

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

JBP posted:

Did anyone catch that Christian Porter wants the army to be able to deploy on Australian soil and shoot people during "terrorist attacks" or "riots"?

Who's Christian Porter?

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde

Other posted:

Paul Bearer is dead, like real life, not storyline, dead

get a load of this mark :smug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Reclines Obesily posted:

I'm sorry for your loss.