Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

To be fair, I do enjoy Mega Diancie's shiny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Robindaybird posted:

And as noted, Gym Leaders, and especially E4 are like the closest thing to a governmental body we seen in Pokemon world so A: how did a bunch of orphans apparently locked away in an orphanage become them, and B: how did Dr. Spark McEvil not get taken down.

Dr Electric Evil posted:

"Is that all? Well, then. Indeed, there are some particularly gifted individuals in our care.Several of them were able to inherit or earn high- ranking positions. You must have some degree of confidence in your skill as well. Hrm."
No comment on how some of them earned it, but apparently gym leader positions can be inherited.

I guess there's some basis for that in the games(Falkner never shutting up about his gym leader dad, Janine taking over for Koga) but it's never stated it's just handed to them, so...

Arkanian
Sep 18, 2013

Epicmissingno posted:

I actually kind of get the idea of shiny regular Diancie. It's your standard colourless diamond instead of the usual pink one. Shiny Mega Diancie looks pretty good, too.
It has Carbink's color scheme, and apparently Diancie is a mutant Carbink or something. So it's another case of "swap its color scheme for its pre-evo's/a related pokemon's."

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
The bigger questions are how they were in a position to accept placement as gym leaders, considering they're currently in a place they can't travel freely or at all from, and how this league, which is touting itself as a newly reformed big loving deal, can function when a good handful of its leaders are institutionalized.

Pieuvre
Sep 19, 2010
Thanks for the answers, everybody!

Also: I would be willing to bet money that a lot of their RP focused on the... "patient care unit," we'll call it, so one way or another we'll be getting some really choice, edgy views on mental health.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Haifisch posted:

No comment on how some of them earned it, but apparently gym leader positions can be inherited.

I guess there's some basis for that in the games(Falkner never shutting up about his gym leader dad, Janine taking over for Koga) but it's never stated it's just handed to them, so...

Flannery kind of implies it at least.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
Despite all the mediocrity and terribleness so far, Reborn does have good artists. That Mega Diancie is amazing.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I'm legitimately on the side of the big bad, at least with the motivations he's just given us. The city deserves it on several levels.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

megane posted:

Amethyst's pixel art skills are legitimately quite good.

I thought somebody else did the sprites?

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Oh, I guess I don't really know. Whoever makes the sprites is good.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I will give Amethyst one thing; getting pokemon from side-quests instead of catching them is a legit good idea and does a lot to break up the gameplay. It's something the real games should do more of as well.

They need to work on their maps though cause oooooof.

GeminiSun
Feb 16, 2011

hahaha oh boy yup let's use an outdated portrayal of electroconvulsive therapy as our one, single representation of what a psychiatrist does, that's definitely 100% on the up and up

:doh:

ECT is still used today, but:

(1) it wouldn't be a psychiatrist's favored go-to treatment for everything, it's mostly used in specific cases when other treatments haven't worked or can't be used
(2) it wouldn't be done without informed consent
(3) it wouldn't be done WITHOUT ANESTHESIA

I don't hate the idea of using electric Pokemon to administer ECT. There are definitely ways you could execute it that wouldn't be a complete tonal clash with Pokemon; like maybe it turns out a Dedenne given appropriate clinical training gets even better results than the best and most careful human technicians because it's got a really good intuitive sense of how the electricity affects the brain, or whatever. But this is just ignorant and lazy as poo poo. THE DOCTOR DO THE SHOCKS BECAUSE HE BAAAAAAAAAD.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I love Return to Oz as much as anybody but why the gently caress is Dr Sigmund and the Electric Orphanage a thing

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I'd like this boss more if he wasnt basically Giovanni by design and Cyrus by attitude

Explopyro
Mar 18, 2018

I actually think the Hidden Power fuckery isn't a bad idea, at least in theory. The game engine doesn't support getting it into enemy movesets properly, and this is a decent enough workaround. Now, Reborn doesn't really know what it wants to be, but if it were actually a fangame that wanted to make ingame encounters more like competitive ones, movesets with coherent choices of Hidden Power type would be a good thing to put on them and this isn't a bad way of implementing that without having to alter the engine (wow, that's a lot of ifs). It's definitely a very fangame thing to do, but I don't think that's inherently bad - official Pokemon games are not going to send you up against opponents packing Hidden Power, so it could be a decent twist on encounters.

I would assume the Z-move interaction is a thing that isn't likely to come up unless you're hacking, but who knows what kind of weird movesets they've put on things in this, maybe they do have enemies that exploit this inconsistency. Honestly, I'm actually oddly impressed that they completely redid the game to incorporate gen 7 pokemon everywhere and add in Z-moves (though I'd also guess Essentials did more of the work there). It may not have been a good decision, but it makes it look like they care about something - just probably not the right things. They can put in effort to completely redo all the encounters, so why not some goddamn editing?

As for HP Fairy... that's also a pretty common fangame thing, I think. I know Uranium used a weird workaround which made it so that 1/4 of pokemon that would normally have HP Dark had HP Fairy instead (and also, as a consequence, perfect IVs gave HP Fairy in that). I can understand the impulse to make it a thing, even if Game Freak probably never will because they prefer to maintain backwards compatibility wherever possible.

I find myself with very little to say about the actual update, except that the writer(s) hating therapists may unfortunately explain a great deal. And the dialogue in this continues to be utterly painful. Arrgh, how does this bullshit have fans?

I think I like the Diancie shinies though.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Of course they hate therapists, their very existence suggests that they both need and are capable of self improvement.

soliam
Jun 24, 2018

Howzit?

PMush Perfect posted:

Of course they hate therapists, their very existence suggests that they both need and are capable of self improvement.

the tea is piping hot today

Mycroft Holmes
Mar 26, 2010

by Azathoth
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RSA8vwrfIPo

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

Miss posted:

I just binged this whole thread and what the gently caress

This is great

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Jun 27, 2018

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012
Oh this thread brings out the gems.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Azza Bamboo posted:

This is great

:eyepop:

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Azza Bamboo posted:

This is great

I assume at this point Raven is solely motivated over getting her drat fish.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Azza Bamboo posted:

This is great

:five:

Onmi posted:

Also this.

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Onmi posted:

It's not like the 'plot' is offering any other motivation. You should be trying to stop Team Meteor from... doing... something? They overclocked some Tangela and wanted a guy's ring, and poo poo. Of course even if you do stop them you'll still be living in a ruined dystopian hellscape full of edgelords, so it frankly makes more sense to let the bad guys nuke everything and start over. I've seen no reason to really care about any of this. Screw it, gimme my fish.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Azza Bamboo posted:

This is great

hell fuckin yeah

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Black Robe posted:

It's not like the 'plot' is offering any other motivation. You should be trying to stop Team Meteor from... doing... something? They overclocked some Tangela and wanted a guy's ring, and poo poo. Of course even if you do stop them you'll still be living in a ruined dystopian hellscape full of edgelords, so it frankly makes more sense to let the bad guys nuke everything and start over. I've seen no reason to really care about any of this. Screw it, gimme my fish.
Presumably eventually the train will be repaired and Raven can leave again.

With her fish.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Why would you even want a Reborn fish? It'd probably be weak and/or diseased. Or imported from a not-hellhole and sold at an exorbitant price.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

Miss posted:

I just binged this whole thread and what the gently caress

I hope you don't mind me borrowing your drawing for a bit.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Why would you even want a Reborn fish? It'd probably be weak and/or diseased. Or imported from a not-hellhole and sold at an exorbitant price.

It is the loving principle of the matter. We can't leave cause the trains are hosed, There's no reason to do the Gyms except "Just cause" Meteor has given us no reason to actually hate them, because we don't even know what they're doing, so how have we been actually slighted, how has someone directly hosed with us? Bitch stole our fish.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Geemer posted:

I hope you don't mind me borrowing your drawing for a bit.

:five:

I guess your Pokemon get taken to the Fiddy Raven Zone.

"Bitch took my Fish!"

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer
At least the skull was supposedly worth a lot of money, I can't even imagine what motivation a player could project onto this game's protagonist.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

At least the skull was supposedly worth a lot of money, I can't even imagine what motivation a player could project onto this game's protagonist.

A desire to experience pure, soul-searing regret.

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Zanzibar Ham posted:

she paid 500 for that fish!

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Torchlighter posted:

she paid 500 for that fish!

I meant more as in, why would the protagonist come to Reborn in the first place? The place has no redeeming qualities. The only thing I can imagine is that Raven actually did die in that train that was heading to someplace worth visiting and Reborn City is Purgatory.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I meant more as in, why would the protagonist come to Reborn in the first place? The place has no redeeming qualities. The only thing I can imagine is that Raven actually did die in that train that was heading to someplace worth visiting and Reborn City is Purgatory.

This was intentionally left blank to allow the player to self-insert their own reason.

So I think that Raven has... done things. Things that normal society wouldn't look kindly upon. The kind of things you go to another country and start calling yourself Yohan over.

She made a pokemon fan game.

the Orb of Zot
Jun 25, 2013

Apport: the Orb of Zot
The orb shrieks as your magic touches it!
Yoink! You pull the item towards yourself.
You see here the Orb of Zot.

Onmi posted:

This was intentionally left blank to allow the player to self-insert their own reason.

So I think that Raven has... done things. Things that normal society wouldn't look kindly upon. The kind of things you go to another country and start calling yourself Yohan over.

She made a pokemon fan game.

What if she made Pokemon Reborn, and has to suffer through it herself as punishment?

What if Raven is Amethyst?

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
Raven came to Reborn City to hide from her nemesis: a crazed woman looking for her missing sweater. The twist is obvious when you know this, so they don't mention it in the game at all.

Azza Bamboo fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Jun 28, 2018

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

I love the fact that there's no real reason why Raven's doing all of this, because "the player should insert their own motivation".

I love it because there's a series that, for several years, had no plot whatsoever, no characterization whatsoever, this same gameplay, the same "the player is the protagonist!" mindset, and yet managed to make you fully feel as if there was a reason why you did what you did.

That series, of course...was Pokemon. And is Pokemon, only now there's a stronger interest in story with BW and SM (and uhh, XY tried I guess?).

For all the "mature" writing, Amethyst managed to utterly fail in something the main Pokemon games succeeded at without having to spare more words than absolutely neccesary. Impressive.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Blaze Dragon posted:

I love the fact that there's no real reason why Raven's doing all of this, because "the player should insert their own motivation".

I love it because there's a series that, for several years, had no plot whatsoever, no characterization whatsoever, this same gameplay, the same "the player is the protagonist!" mindset, and yet managed to make you fully feel as if there was a reason why you did what you did.

That series, of course...was Pokemon. And is Pokemon, only now there's a stronger interest in story with BW and SM (and uhh, XY tried I guess?).

For all the "mature" writing, Amethyst managed to utterly fail in something the main Pokemon games succeeded at without having to spare more words than absolutely neccesary. Impressive.

Eh I can see where she's coming from, Pokemon always has you start where you live, except SuMo, which has you move there, and it always spurs on your adventure through events, Oak sending you for a Parcel then asking you to complete the dex etc.

But that's the thing... it spurs on your adventure. There's nothing here that gives Reborn's protagonist a motivation, the ticket teller even tells them that Reborn is poo poo, and Ame on the train is just "Yeah we'll give you your starters and set you up for adventure."

It's I think one of those "I'm writing this for the community primarily" thing, where they all have their dumb backstories and they'd be taken out of the experience by being given something like... purpose.

It fails at what it's trying to do though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Black Robe
Sep 12, 2017

Generic Magic User

Onmi posted:

Pokemon always has you start where you live, except SuMo, which has you move there

So do Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald and the remakes, and X/Y.

But yeah, the point is you're already living there and have some reason to give a poo poo. Raven's pretty much just killing time until they fix the train and she can leave. Why would she give a poo poo about this place? Why would the player? Nobody's saying 'hi neighbour, let's go challenge gyms together/beat up bad guys together', or 'hi friend let's challenge each other for fun'. You can't go back and see your Obligatory Stay-At-Home Mom to heal up and show her your new pokeymans. Random neighbours aren't calling you to tell you pointless trivia. You've got no house in this empty shithole of a city, no connection to the region, and nobody knows you.