Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Why not?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

BrightWing posted:

My main problem with SMN is Bahamut randomly deciding to not do what you tell him to and missing out on an Ahk Morn.

That, and the big number from Ahk Morn not showing up as if it were your own damage is a shame.

I get what they were going for with the wyrmwave mechanic, but it makes Bahamut so stupid if you start moving because since he has no regular auto-attack it seems #1 priority is STAY WITHIN 5 YARDS OF MASTER and will happily make sure he gets next to you before firing that Ahk Morn.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

You really want those fast shots to happen during your wildfire so that you can get in as many GCDs (or really, as many clean shots) in as possible. You've correctly identified that you want to get all of your poo poo in during wildfires, but that means get all of your poo poo in. Hypercharge and turret overload technically don't count for this since their damage isn't added to wildfire, but you absolutely want hypercharge's debuff to be active the entire duration. That part is easy because of how long hypercharge's debuff lasts.

I recommend this guide for machinist stuff. It's pretty good and isn't 75 pages long. It assumes you know the basics of the job.

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think there's a minor issue of phrasing going on too. "Don't use Rapid Fire before Wildfire" means "make sure you have the ability available," not "activate Wildfire, then Rapid Fire." I shoot things with Hot Shot, then Reload -> Rapid Fire -> Wildfire, then on the first GCD it's Split Shot/Gauss Round, second GCD is Slug Shot/Ricochet, third is another Split Shot/Reassemble, then I fire my guaranteed critical Clean Shot and hit Quick Reload, then fire Slug Shot. Wildfire usually goes off before I can get in that last Clean Shot, but I'm still 66 and don't want to invest a ton of time and money into loving around for the right gear.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

And the Lord Josh said, "Blessed are those cast away by Belichick, theirs is the kingdom of Denver." (Tebow 1:25)

MechaCrash posted:

I think there's a minor issue of phrasing going on too. "Don't use Rapid Fire before Wildfire" means "make sure you have the ability available," not "activate Wildfire, then Rapid Fire." I shoot things with Hot Shot, then Reload -> Rapid Fire -> Wildfire, then on the first GCD it's Split Shot/Gauss Round, second GCD is Slug Shot/Ricochet, third is another Split Shot/Reassemble, then I fire my guaranteed critical Clean Shot and hit Quick Reload, then fire Slug Shot. Wildfire usually goes off before I can get in that last Clean Shot, but I'm still 66 and don't want to invest a ton of time and money into loving around for the right gear.

You should avoid doing three oGCDs in a row. There's no chance you won't clip your GCD (it's hard enough with just two sometimes, or even one when you're using rapid fire). On every class in the game you do not want to clip your GCD if you can help it.

And yeah, that'll change at 70 when you have flamethrower and can manipulate when you overheat.

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh yeah, I use rapid fire before I throw the wildfire because it lasts 10ish seconds but disappears when you use the 3rd skill.

So I'm not using any of the ammo or rapid fire charges during that prep phase, and spend them all in the wildfire.

I thought you meant to use the rapid skill in the middle of the wildfire combo which just sounded like it would slow it down.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

I do mean that. Check out the three ammo opener in the doc I linked - the magic is that by doing it that way you end up using quick reload and gauss round before your wildfire, and then you use them again during your wildfire. You're guaranteed two clean shots during wildfire this way. Hopefully two heated clean shots, but that is harsh depending on skill speed and latency.

fake edits for phrasing

Sharkopath
May 27, 2009

Oh rad.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

You will definitely get two Heated Clean Shots in the 3 ammo opener (unless you completely flub Flamethrower and cancel it before at least 3 ticks have passed). The thing you might miss depending on latency/timing is the last boosted Cooldown and/or the Quick Reload Split Shot at the end of Wildfire.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

You will definitely get two Heated Clean Shots in the 3 ammo opener (unless you completely flub Flamethrower and cancel it before at least 3 ticks have passed). The thing you might miss depending on latency/timing is the last boosted Cooldown and/or the Quick Reload Split Shot at the end of Wildfire.

It wasn't until this very moment I realized I've been doing that opener wrong/differently. I was actually trying to fit in a third clean shot by quick reloading after the second clean and using slug shot. Which is almost definitely a terrible idea assuming I recall the potency of each attack right in my head. Whoops!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Alakaiser posted:

On every class in the game you do not want to clip your GCD if you can help it.

In this case for SMN, is it better to use your aether oGCDs after a ruin 3 or a ruin 2?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Control Volume posted:

In this case for SMN, is it better to use your aether oGCDs after a ruin 3 or a ruin 2?

Ruin II (or IV ideally) every single time. While burning Aether stacks you want to go Ruin II/IV - Fester (or whatever) - Ruin III - Ruin II/IV - Fester - repeat.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

(80+ heat) Reload - 1 - Gauss Round - 2 - 1 - Wildfire - Flamethrower - 3 - Quick Reload - Rapid Fire - 2 - Reassemble - 3 - Ricochet - Cooldown - Gauss Round - Cooldown - (1/2/3) x2/3 - (3 seconds to Barrel reset) Hot shot - Gauss Barrel - Barrel Stabiliser - (1/2/3) - Reload

All the 60 second and 30 second skills line up quite nicely. The Gauss Round timing can be pretty tricky when it comes to doing one just before wildfire and just before the end of it.

Ibblebibble fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Jun 28, 2018

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

jalapeno_dude posted:

Ruin II (or IV ideally) every single time. While burning Aether stacks you want to go Ruin II/IV - Fester (or whatever) - Ruin III - Ruin II/IV - Fester - repeat.

Is there a place to check out the animation time for oGCDs? or do people just figure this poo poo out through sheer brute force testing?

jalapeno_dude
Apr 10, 2015

Control Volume posted:

Is there a place to check out the animation time for oGCDs? or do people just figure this poo poo out through sheer brute force testing?

No idea, but AFAIK single-weaving is never a problem and double-weaving is only a problem if you have high ping, which suggests animation time is a second or less.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Brute force but almost every OGCD animation lock is in the 0.7-0.75 seconds range. A handful of things are longer (DRG jumps and potions are the only thing I can think of that still lasts longer than usual) or shorter (NIN Mudra).

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
Today I learned that Lalafell tank mounts look hilarious and that Lalafell are the size of minions.

Also, the Wind-up Sadu and Wind-up Magnai fight each other.

Alakaiser
Jan 3, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

Brute force but almost every OGCD animation lock is in the 0.7-0.75 seconds range. A handful of things are longer (DRG jumps and potions are the only thing I can think of that still lasts longer than usual) or shorter (NIN Mudra).

Yeah, the only time I worry about single weaving is during rapid fire, and even then it's mostly fine. I do get suspicious that Ricochet is a bit worse than average though.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Had a fresh-faced 60 tank doing his first Thordan a few weeks ago request that he be allowed to main tank. He had 14k HP.

I really really really wanted him to get obliterated by twin blade dance, but unfortunately the rest of our group had to be good and killed one of them before they were able to get it off.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

please understand that bahamut-egi has extreme separation anxiety, despite being derived from a world rending dragon

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I've been away for a while, and I just hit an ilevel block in the 4.3 story.

I'm sitting at ~315, I think, I need about 330. Am I just supposed to do this Eureka business to grind up ilevels? I don't have a lot of interest in digging back into the Omega/Delta/whatever-else-escape train for gear.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Alaemon posted:

I'm sitting at ~315, I think, I need about 330. Am I just supposed to do this Eureka business to grind up ilevels? I don't have a lot of interest in digging back into the Omega/Delta/whatever-else-escape train for gear.

I'd just do dungeons myself. Do your highest dungeon which should also give you tomestones for 330/360 gear.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

KoB posted:

I'd just do dungeons myself.

Oh, I think I missed new dungeons because I was shotgunning MSQ. That's always a valid thing.

KoB
May 1, 2009

Alaemon posted:

Oh, I think I missed new dungeons because I was shotgunning MSQ. That's always a valid thing.

at 310 you can do Hells' Lid and Fractal Hard which give 325 stuff i think. Theyre not very long dungeons and theyre fun. Both unlocked with sidequests.

https://ffxiv.consolegameswiki.com/wiki/Dungeons#Stormblood_Light_Party

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Alaemon posted:

If you have cash or friends, you can also buy i350 gear from the market board.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

If I had friends, I wouldn't be playing MMOs!

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't

Alaemon posted:

Rabanastre (requires 305, drops 330) and Sigmascape (requires 325, drops 350) are the most efficient options other than dungeons and tomes. All the roulettes that give creation together are worth about 1000 tomes.

e: One full day of roulettes, (lv70, leveling, alliance raids, trials, MSQ, normal raids), 4 runs of Deltascape 4, and 1 run of Rabanastre will get you a 340 weapon

Sade fucked around with this message at 05:07 on Jun 29, 2018

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

rabbit season

https://twitter.com/cat_redux/status/1012550710775468033

Alloran
Dec 30, 2014

I think this line is mostly filler.
So. My pc just poo poo the bed. To confirm, to play this on the ps4 I'd have to rebuy the game to be able to log in and play?

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Alaemon posted:

A simple guide to catching up in ilvl:

Step 1: Create a character in Final Fantasy XIV Online: A Realm Reborn, and unlock the Disciplines of Hand and Land of Carpenter, Blacksmith, Armorer, Leatherworker, Weaver, Goldsmith, Alchemist, Culinarian, Miner, Botanist, and Fisher.

Step 2: Level each of those up to 70 and complete the Main Scenario Quest "Stormblood".

You are now ready to create your own ilvl 350 gear!

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Alloran posted:

So. My pc just poo poo the bed. To confirm, to play this on the ps4 I'd have to rebuy the game to be able to log in and play?

Yes.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Alaemon posted:

Come do maps with us and you'll get a bunch of creation and mendacity tokens so you can buy gear.

Also just run Sigmascape a bunch of times for 350 drops.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

What level should I start worrying about crafting my own HQ crafting gear, assuming I want to make my own HQ leve turn-ins? Right now at around level 25 I'm getting by just fine with unique crafts and grinding mats to put into those crafts, but that feels like its going to dry up real quick.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What level are your various crafters? Your DoW/M?

The real slog is 1-50, then you get Moogle beast tribes and Zhloe at 55 (also HW DoH was massively reworked fairly recently and they cranked up the quest rewards to lol%), then SB has Naago and the fishmans. The min/maxing for leave turn ins to boost up 30+ levels in the span of hours takes at least ~60 turn ins (all HQ). The slow and steady route includes doing GC turn ins every day (they give a lot of XP plus seals which can be turned into Ventures).

I can help you out, I'm in DGKK and have farted out a few 15-50 WVR levekits when given the mats.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Control Volume posted:

What level should I start worrying about crafting my own HQ crafting gear, assuming I want to make my own HQ leve turn-ins? Right now at around level 25 I'm getting by just fine with unique crafts and grinding mats to put into those crafts, but that feels like its going to dry up real quick.

You don't "need" to until level 70, but at level HQ gear is always helpful with crafting and gathering. I'd say the answer is "anytime you can". Not only do better stats have a very tangible effect on your crafting efficiency (more control = more quality = better chance of HQ and more EXP, but also more CP = better abilities for more of that as well as more craftsmanship = maybe one fewer synth ability = ten more durability = one more touch action = more quality and thus better chance of HQ and more EXP), but you'll probably want to craft those things eventually if just for the crafting log completion bonus.

In short, not only does crafting your own HQ gear as you level get you bonus EXP just from the act of doing so and filling in those challenge log slots, there's also a cascading effect on the EXP you gain just from crafting other things, and all of that is above and beyond the EXP you get from turning in HQ items instead of NQ ones. Go and do it.

When you do so, though, also check out the prices of some of the main pieces (tools and body especially) on the market board. You might be able to sell extra HQ ones at a profit in order to help finance purchasing of more obnoxious materials later. Actually, this also applies to leve turnins and any intermediate materials (threads, cloths, ingots, leathers, etc.) Mid level materials and products aren't the flashiest market but there's steady profit to be had if you're saving up for an apartment/cottage.

RME
Feb 20, 2012

i cant really remember exactly when it does start to get harder, but when you do care you can usually get there just making sure your MH, Chest, and OH are HQ and updated in that order

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Use levekits and gently caress respecting the content. 69 leves takes you from 15-50, another 15-20 or so are enough to get you to 60 which unlocks a ton of stuff. I'm pretty sure you can actually go 15-70 off an entire stack of 100 leves, or at least come damned close. 15-50 will usually run you about 150-200k on the MB using finished materials.

I'm in DGKK and can do ALC/CRP/WVR/CUL levekits easily enough.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Im focusing on leveling crafters so Id rather just craft my own stuff for the exp involved rather than wait 10 days for leves to recharge for the next class (also Im not on excal lol). Ill probably focus on BSM/WVR (or whoever makes most of the crafting clothes)/CRP/GSM immediately then and get a good set of equipment going from level 30, since I think I can still coast a bit more on unique crafts and Ixal quests.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
In that case, level CUL to 37(?) for Steady Hand 2, CRP to 50(?) for Byregot's Blessing. Do your GC turn ins every day (check vendors against the MB, half of the time people will list a 500 Gil item for 6k or something), do Ixals, and just power through.

You're going to quickly run out of inventory space and/or go broke if you're not gathering mats yourself. Being self sufficient is sounds good on paper, but there is a real cost both time and money wise (including real money if you buy more retainers), especially considering that a good % of the intermediate mats are sold for less than the sum of their components because "this is free because I gathered the mats myself :words:" types.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

I leveled up my miner/botanist before doing any serious (like 30+) crafting and it made the whole process like a million times easier.