Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen
He's done well in the sense that he's transitioned from being a bad winger to a decent full back but he's quite far away from being actually good in the position.

And he's old. Him and Valencia both turn 33 this summer and both are fairly reliant on their pace and stamina. United have signed Dalot at right back but it would be a mistake to not buy a new left back as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Maybe behind closed doors Mourinho's tough hate with Shaw is working and he's going to get another go? I've not heard much on the transfer front with him.

Who knows with Mourinho.

TBH, I'd rather the squad shows more cohesion and Mourinho a little more attacking adventure in midfield and unless City have some huge "ugh can't get up for it again" collapse after last season, we're not winning the title and I'll be quite content with an improvement over last season's capitulation.

That gap isn't being fixed in a single world cup off season without some serious input from City, as much as I hate to say it.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Ninpo posted:

TBH, I'd rather the squad shows more cohesion and Mourinho a little more attacking adventure in midfield and unless City have some huge "ugh can't get up for it again" collapse after last season, we're not winning the title and I'll be quite content with an improvement over last season's capitulation.

Absolutely. For me progress isn't a question of "did United get more points than last season Y/N? Is the gap to City smaller than last season Y/N?" as that's not really my problem with Mourinho.

My problem is that at pretty much no point has it looked like his team are playing with any kind of system. At times it looks like the players on the pitch have met for the first time shortly before stepping on it, and United's attacking play has been loving DIRE for ages now. I don't want the plan to be for Young and Valencia to whip desperate crosses into the box, or for a couple of players to individually force goals.

So I guess like you I want to see more cohesion, and I want to see some signs that Mourinho is building towards something and has some kind of workable plan. If that's the case, the results will come. If not, no amount of millions will help. That's also why it's so worrisome when Mourinho keeps saying things like Young can play 50 games next season. If he really is content or even happy with Young and/or Valencia as his number one choices, it's a pretty glaring sign that United are miles off track.

Ninpo posted:

He's been bloody good since nailing down a place there under Mourinho after Shaw had inexplicably failed to impress

I think "bloody good" is a bit generous. He's been solid defensively, but increasingly hopeless going forward, which is a huge problem when Mourinho's philosophy places a lot of responsibility on fullbacks to push up and support the attack (until it suddenly doesn't and Mourinho sprints down the sidelines to yell abuse at Shaw for daring to make a run and hit the post) and for that a 34 year old Ashley Young isn't who you want.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

lmao Rooney to DC United what a joke

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

2.5 years is a great deal when you’re shrek and past it

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Napoli are replacing Reina with Meret and Karnezis from Udinese. Meret has quietly become a big deal, mostly due to Donnarumma being in the press all the time. Karnezis was decent for a while but he fell off a cliff; he'll probably be the backup.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Gigi Galli posted:

Napoli are replacing Reina with Meret and Karnezis from Udinese. Meret has quietly become a big deal, mostly due to Donnarumma being in the press all the time. Karnezis was decent for a while but he fell off a cliff; he'll probably be the backup.

Where is Reina going?

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe

Brony Car posted:

Where is Reina going?

Milan

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015
boro signed aden flint who is a big lad at the back, and paddy mcnair who is a permacrock from sunderland

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

boro signed aden flint who is a big lad at the back, and paddy mcnair who is a permacrock from sunderland

Swansea fans are crying because Championship rivals are making all these great signings lmao

Graham Potter's first act in charge has been to sack all the scouting staff that kept recommending Bony and the Ayews. His 32 year old assistant is now head of recruitment.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Wilshire had a medical with Fenerbahce and will be announced Monday, according to the Turkish media.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

trem_two posted:

Wilshire had a medical with Fenerbahce and will be announced Monday, according to the Turkish media.

loving lol

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

trem_two posted:

lmao what a career trajectory

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Turkey is the place footballers go to die (or China).

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.

trem_two posted:

What an end, amazing.

Ciprian Maricon posted:

He knows there are multiple NY and LA based teams right? Poor choice.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

cheese posted:

He knows there are multiple NY and LA based teams right? Poor choice.

unfortunately for him 3 of those teams are comparatively well-run, and the 4th has ibra

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Newcastle are going to sell Matt Ritchie for some reason

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004

trem_two posted:

Hands in the air!

Myssu
Sep 19, 2012

Interesting, Ive also heard Fenerbahce in connection with both Sturridge and Ings this window. They seem to be really into broken Englishmen.

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

West007 posted:

Turkey is the place footballers go to die (or China).

Quaresma can only play well when he's in Turkey, in a weird twist of fate.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

trem_two posted:

I can't wait to see pictures of him and Erdogan smoking cigarettes and hanging out together.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
https://mobile.twitter.com/FabrizioRomano/status/1012445680659517441

Chelsea could use some lovin imo

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

sassassin posted:

Swansea fans are crying because Championship rivals are making all these great signings lmao

Graham Potter's first act in charge has been to sack all the scouting staff that kept recommending Bony and the Ayews. His 32 year old assistant is now head of recruitment.

to be fair, there's two ways out of the championship: pure shithousing it, ala burnley or cardiff and being really really good at football ala bournemouth and wolves. The first one is way cheaper but the second is more enjoyable.

It's also funny that half the championship transfer rumors are "GRAHAM POTTER WANTS TO SIGN X BLOKE FROM HIS PREVIOUS CLUB" because nobody knows anything about him.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Love that Wilshere had a social media meltdown about Emery telling him he wouldn’t be getting many minutes, loads of Arsenal fans (including my Step Dad) had a hissy fit about him leaving and the only offer of merit he received is Fenerbahçe :allears:

Gazidis said in a press conference the other day there are more signings to come, papers say Torreira and Sokratis imminent.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

Ciprian Maricon posted:

He's going to score 30

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Waroduce posted:

He's going to score 30

minutes into his first appearance and is never going to score again.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Love that Wilshere had a social media meltdown about Emery telling him he wouldn’t be getting many minutes, loads of Arsenal fans (including my Step Dad) had a hissy fit about him leaving and the only offer of merit he received is Fenerbahçe :allears:

Gazidis said in a press conference the other day there are more signings to come, papers say Torreira and Sokratis imminent.

Don't forget the meltdown about not being picked for the World Cup squad lmao

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/BBCSport/status/1012681595919138816

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Lmao

rocket_Magnet
Apr 5, 2005

:unsmith:

Thought for sure he was finally going :(.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Ninpo posted:

Relax, there's a world cup on, there's not going to be much going on with transfers while players are concentrating on a tournament.

I'm not exactly convinced we've been negotiating with Fellaini mid tournament either.

lmao

Paperhouse
Dec 31, 2008

I think
your hair
looks much
better
pushed
over to
one side
I don't mind Fellaini staying, he's a useful player and obviously isn't gonna be first choice.

West007
Apr 21, 2013

Everybody loves him when he scores winning golazos but start hating him when he makes one mistake.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

I heard that Fellaini is on more than Januzaj was, c/d?

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

rocket_Magnet posted:

Thought for sure he was finally going :(.

The guy has salvaged a ton of bad matches for your stupid club. You should be glad he’s staying.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

33 year old full backs firing high crosses in to Marouane Fellaini is the most Mourinho thing ever and I think it's wonderful

Bogan Krkic
Oct 31, 2010

Swedish style? No.
Yugoslavian style? Of course not.
It has to be Zlatan-style.

I think it's funny how everyone complains about how bad United were last season but they would have won the league if it wasn't for Pep being Pep.

Lot 49
Dec 7, 2007

I'll do anything
For my sweet sixteen

Brony Car posted:

The guy has salvaged a ton of bad matches for your stupid club. You should be glad he’s staying.

Want to list that ton of matches?

Fellaini off the bench for long balls and crosses has been Mourinho's plan B for two years and I can only recall it working once. Against that rubbish Arsenal team last season, normally he just fouls people.

He's not an especially bad player but United should never have bought him and he's increasingly become emblematic of their post-Ferguson decline.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Bogan Krkic posted:

I think it's funny how everyone complains about how bad United were last season but they would have won the league if it wasn't for Pep being Pep.

As an Arsnel fan I can categorically assure you there is no trophy for "would've"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
https://mobile.twitter.com/juventusfcen/status/1012698325806542848
These were expected, especially when Chiellini was named the new team captain even though he didn't have a contract.

• Locked thread