Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
Cyber-Monocle sporting Space Billionaire
Gumballs & Dungeons is very playable without dropping any cash. It's the only gacha game I've stuck with for any length of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Roach
Nov 23, 2007
Can't touch this

mrkillboy posted:

Supercell's Brawl Stars is finally out on Android if you live in the following countries:

Canada
Sweden
Norway
Finland
Denmark
Ireland
Hong Kong
Macau
Malaysia
Singapore

Why do they hate the US

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

Roach posted:

Why do they hate the US

Do you really have to ask these days?

Zotix
Aug 14, 2011

What should I know about jurassic world alive? Is the spawning like how Pokémon go was? Certain areas will have certain monsters?

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Washout posted:

Is Fire Emblem Heroes the most generous Gacha around? What other gacha games are close to as generous? I tried playing two of the final fantasies and kings raid and they seemed so stingy.

In the last 3 weeks of the quarterly FFRK festival I've gotten gauranteed 23+ free 5 and 6 star relics thru free gacha pulls. I don't think I've seen anything that comes close.

mrkillboy
May 13, 2003

"Something witty."
Pokemon Quest is out for Android.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

mrkillboy posted:

Pokemon Quest is out for Android.

Who the gently caress thought voxel Pokemon was a good idea?

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
In Jurassic World Alive looks like Echo isn't going to be very useful, low health, slow, no pounce. Seems to have a moveset for a dino that needs at least twice the health to be effective.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
AHHHH PIKACHU
________/

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Paper Kaiju posted:

Who the gently caress thought voxel Pokemon was a good idea?

let me tell you about minecraft

(minecraft is popular among kids and so is pokemon)

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

SpaceGoatFarts posted:

let me tell you about minecraft

(minecraft is popular among kids and so is pokemon)

Yeah, I get that, but I would have thought that Pokemon was popular enough that it wouldn't need to pull the 'what are the kids into these days' gambit.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Voxeled pokemon also don't need very much animation. Having a full 3d model of Bulbasaur that just bounced around without animating would look weird - a voxel bulbasaur doesn't look strange doing the same thing.

JeffT417
Oct 15, 2012
Pokemon quest is dumb and good. As with typical Nintendo, it is immaculately polished.

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"

Roach posted:

Why do they hate the US

Pretty sure they test in smaller markets to try and get rid of bugs before it hits bigger ones.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

JeffT417 posted:

Pokemon quest is dumb and good. As with typical Nintendo, it is immaculately polished.

I played this a bunch on Switch, I'm bummed to say there doesn't appear to be a way to link accounts. I progressed pretty far there before realizing this would be much better suited to have on a cellphone. My only concern when I played on switch is there doesn't seem to be much to the "end game" unless some poo poo opens up after beating all the islands. After a week or so without putting any money into it I had a team of level 70 guys and there was only a handful of levels I couldn't beat that had ridiculously high recommended power. I guess like most Pokemon games the "end game" is just to catch em all?

Edit: I do notice a Data Backup option.. I don't think this was on the Switch version but I'll have to check. I'd love to get that progress back!

explosivo fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jun 27, 2018

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

explosivo posted:

I played this a bunch on Switch, I'm bummed to say there doesn't appear to be a way to link accounts. I progressed pretty far there before realizing this would be much better suited to have on a cellphone. My only concern when I played on switch is there doesn't seem to be much to the "end game" unless some poo poo opens up after beating all the islands. After a week or so without putting any money into it I had a team of level 70 guys and there was only a handful of levels I couldn't beat that had ridiculously high recommended power. I guess like most Pokemon games the "end game" is just to catch em all?

There's a Transfer Data button in the app - does that only work for phone data?

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

Zotix posted:

What should I know about jurassic world alive? Is the spawning like how Pokémon go was? Certain areas will have certain monsters?

A few people have posted about it here. It was days/weeks ago so you might need to search to find posts. I haven't played it but I remember at least one person saying that it didn't have the bad part of Pokemon Go where (at launch, when I played) rural areas are crap to play in.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Morpheus posted:

There's a Transfer Data button in the app - does that only work for phone data?

Looks like it's phones only, there's no transfer option on the switch version. :smith:

Polyseme
Sep 6, 2009

GROUCH DIVISION

Took me about 5m to turn off the music. Missed every tutorial.

Washout
Jun 27, 2003

"Your toy soldiers are not pigmented to my scrupulous standards. As a result, you are not worthy of my time. Good day sir"

Lutha Mahtin posted:

A few people have posted about it here. It was days/weeks ago so you might need to search to find posts. I haven't played it but I remember at least one person saying that it didn't have the bad part of Pokemon Go where (at launch, when I played) rural areas are crap to play in.

Haha I live on the oldest island in Hawaii and you can imagine the unit variety I had available. Even the power station had magikarps.

Det_no
Oct 24, 2003

Washout posted:

Is Fire Emblem Heroes the most generous Gacha around? What other gacha games are close to as generous? I tried playing two of the final fantasies and kings raid and they seemed so stingy.

Been playing Girls Frontline ever since I realized Granblue is a living nightmare so I'll shill for that. The fact that rolling for new units or equipment doesn't require real money is amazing to me, the gacha is limited to entirely cosmetic stuff.

Budgie
Mar 9, 2007
Yeah, like the bird.
I've been playing Darkness Rises which just released last week. They seem pretty generous with gems and stuff so far. Graphics are amazing for a mobile game and it has a big focus on realtime pvp which is kinda fun. Haven't got into the 10v10 guild battles yet but it sounds like chaos!

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Polyseme posted:

Took me about 5m to turn off the music. Missed every tutorial.

It should be illegal to bury app settings behind an unskippabe tutorial. Nothing gets me to uninstall faster.

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Hey goons, I've got a couple 8 hour trips coming up over the weekend, and I'm looking for something to play. Can anyone recommend me a couple of games that are free to play, that don't require an internet connection, and aren't really restricted by having to wait long periods of time? I'm looking for something that's either casual enough that I can jump in and out, or at least something I can play at my own pace, where I'm not hurrying up to wait for long timers. I'll keep an open mind about the rest so long as I've got some variety to play around with.

gwrtheyrn
Oct 21, 2010

AYYYE DEEEEE DUBBALYOO DA-NYAAAAAH!
Shortyz and download as many crosswords as you can ahead of time

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
picross apps are a good travel timekiller

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I've got a picross game, but I've never been good at crosswords.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got
Shortyz and only download the Monday crosswords :v:

I don't know how easy it is to jump in and out but Xcom is a pretty good time killer (and battery killer).

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Solitairica, Shattered Pixel Dungeon

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

Xcom seems to be pay to play? At least the version I found. I grabbed Shattered Pixel Dungeon though.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

"pixel dungeon" is the original in that series. it's a roguelike. it's also open source. this is why different variants exist, such as the "shattered" one

also has anyone heard of this game Eternium it claims to be offline-mostly and free

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.makingfun.mageandminions

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Shattered is pretty widely considered the best one, with a very active developer who is constantly updating balance and content.

ponzicar
Mar 17, 2008
Microgue, Hoplite, and Auro are great little tactical puzzle games. Horizon Chase is a good Outrun style racer. Pinout is a fun endless pinball game.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007
I've been playing a weird rpg called Chimera Recollect that's pretty unique and passably translated from Japanese. Basically you have 3 body parts that you mix and match that determine your active/passive skills and you flick your guy around the screen to smash up the pixels on your enemies. You have to actually hit and destroy all the pixels, and your stats determine how many pixels you knock off, etc. It's not the first phone game to do that kind of battles but it's not a gacha hell and the only ads are optional.

There's a weird story and the mechanics are pretty solid, and I'm a three headed chicken with sword arms and four bee stingers that shoot themselves at monsters so what else could I possibly say in recommendation?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

SynthesisAlpha posted:

I've been playing a weird rpg called Chimera Recollect that's pretty unique and passably translated from Japanese. Basically you have 3 body parts that you mix and match that determine your active/passive skills and you flick your guy around the screen to smash up the pixels on your enemies. You have to actually hit and destroy all the pixels, and your stats determine how many pixels you knock off, etc. It's not the first phone game to do that kind of battles but it's not a gacha hell and the only ads are optional.

There's a weird story and the mechanics are pretty solid, and I'm a three headed chicken with sword arms and four bee stingers that shoot themselves at monsters so what else could I possibly say in recommendation?

Hell yeah, that's exactly up my alley. Been needing something to fill the weirdly translated, extremely Japanese game niche in my life lately. I had been playing Space Battleship Story RPG which is a pretty good game with an unconscionable amount of grind but no pay-to-win mechanics, and mostly optional ads. The description does a pretty rear end job of explaining it, but you build a fleet of auto-firing ships and send them up against waves of enemies, all of which are pretty clear send-ups to anime space opera series ships and mecha. You don't have a ton of control and it mostly comes down to letting things resolve themselves for a few minutes at a time, but there's something about watching two fleets of tiny ships smash against each other with bullets and lasers and missiles and explosions everywhere. I recommend it heartily for people who love to slowly climb a loot treadmill but also like engrish and putting their phone down for a minute or two at a time. I only really stopped playing because there's no save transfer and I had to go through a couple phone replacements.

IAmTheRad
Dec 11, 2009

Goddammit this Cello is way out of tune!

Lutha Mahtin posted:

also has anyone heard of this game Eternium it claims to be offline-mostly and free

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.makingfun.mageandminions

Once you download all the files, it's offline. It's also free. You get regular gems by playing it which is the "premium" currency. I stopped playing because it became just a slog.

SynthesisAlpha
Jun 19, 2007

The Muffinlord posted:

Hell yeah, that's exactly up my alley. Been needing something to fill the weirdly translated, extremely Japanese game niche in my life lately. I had been playing Space Battleship Story RPG which is a pretty good game with an unconscionable amount of grind but no pay-to-win mechanics, and mostly optional ads. The description does a pretty rear end job of explaining it, but you build a fleet of auto-firing ships and send them up against waves of enemies, all of which are pretty clear send-ups to anime space opera series ships and mecha. You don't have a ton of control and it mostly comes down to letting things resolve themselves for a few minutes at a time, but there's something about watching two fleets of tiny ships smash against each other with bullets and lasers and missiles and explosions everywhere. I recommend it heartily for people who love to slowly climb a loot treadmill but also like engrish and putting their phone down for a minute or two at a time. I only really stopped playing because there's no save transfer and I had to go through a couple phone replacements.

Why I also love engrish game with loot treadmills and something that I only have to poke every couple of minutes makes it the perfect game to leave on while I'm at work. Cheers!

neogeo0823
Jul 4, 2007

NO THAT'S NOT ME!!

I grabbed Microgue, Hoplite, Auro, and Chimera Recollect to try, since those seem neat. As for Eternium, what turned me off of that was the sheer size of the drat game. It was also dark as hell, and I couldn't see anything very well, but that might've been something with my phone.

So that gives me a bunch of stuff to try on a long ride to vacation. Cheers, thread, thanks!

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

SynthesisAlpha posted:

This is pretty sweet but it seems to have a really strange balance to it. I kinda dig it but it can get a bit too chaotic at times and it's super hard to dodge some attacks. I'm also not entirely sure I understand the way resting works. But whatever, I'm a beautiful 10 winged butterfly with an octopus head and a horse's tail.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

quite stretched out
Feb 17, 2011

the chillest
chimera is dangerous as hell because each individual battle takes such short time, just lost like 15 minutes to it unexpectedly