Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil
http://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/245436

W&G preview. Not a lot of stuff but still posting it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you
Well, that certainly is…yeah. :geno:

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The Scum objective thing looks like some baked-in world building, but it might just be lifted whole-cloth from another game.

That possessed mortal illustration is profoundly amateurish. Like, why would you show that page?

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

so basically nah gently caress this game right?

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

MaliciousOnion posted:

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/m/product/245436

W&G preview. Not a lot of stuff but still posting it.

Almost certainly posted because Ross was adding Plaguebearers to the fight in the quickstart module. They seem pretty tough but not overwhelmingly so.

Enentol
Jul 16, 2005
Middle Class Gangster

moths posted:

That possessed mortal illustration is profoundly amateurish. Like, why would you show that page?

It also doesn't help that the ad on the third page looks like something thrown together in a high-school computer class.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Yeah, that seriously looks like a poster for some dude's car stereo installation service.

I can't understand how the art is so bad. Do they somehow not have access to the tens of thousands of 40k images already out there?

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Viva Miriya posted:

so basically nah gently caress this game right?

No the game still looks interesting.

It just has some Mediocre Art Pieces.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

No the game still looks interesting.

There it is fellas, the kiss of death

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
A friend is running a Dark Heresy 2nd game are there any good character builders out there? The only thing I could find was a long abandoned spreadsheet.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

That's pretty much it for character builders, yeah. It's not like D&D, sadly. I think there's one or two more updated spreadsheets, but iirc even those don't have everything you can get.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

You're basically up a creek when it comes to 40k character building. Start paddling.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
I was afraid of that but I had a shred of hope that somewhere out there was a good builder.

But you know what they say; "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Werix posted:

Well since I planned to buy this at Gen-Con anyway, I did the pre-order to make sure I had a copy there to pick up. And that $100 is for a preorder that comes with three decks of those cards (talents, gear, and psychic powers) plus a set of dice. I'm sure once the game is released, the core book itself will be less than $100.

Plan on picking up a copy at GenCon as well. I've kind of went all-in, having faith that this will be a suitable successor to Dark Heresy, which I loved. Even if the campaigns aren't as good as FFG, if the system is more streamlined I can always convert the Dark Heresy Adventures over to Wrath and Glory.

I want this game to succeed so badly...

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
There IS a pretty good comprehensive spreadsheet for all items and weapons and such from across all games, if your character shopping list is the problem, and not the stupid , unintuitive point cost system.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
What's his face (the dm)of the original scrunt game had or distributed to us a really handy excel key for Only War if you need one for a different game. Did skills and experience and everything

moths
Aug 25, 2004

Uroboros posted:

I want this game to succeed so badly...

robziel posted:

But you know what they say; "Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment."

Track down the Free RPG Day module and ask yourself if you really want a hundred dollars more of it.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

moths posted:

Track down the Free RPG Day module and ask yourself if you really want a hundred dollars more of it.

More like 60 it seems. The Add Ons just add 40 more dollars. Which is still super expensive. But at these point I feel Warhammer fans are used to high prices.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

He indicated that he was going all-in.

I feel like it's going to be big at first just from name recognition, then end up in clearance / used bins after unfavorable comparisons to FFG.

I'm just basing this on how 40k nerds work, not any actual appraisal of the system.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

robziel posted:

A friend is running a Dark Heresy 2nd game are there any good character builders out there? The only thing I could find was a long abandoned spreadsheet.

I've got a link to an experience cost calculator in the OP, afaik it's completely up to date.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

robziel posted:

Dizelabs made a character sheet app that does make it easier to build and manage your PC, but it isn't free.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

MaliciousOnion posted:

I've got a link to an experience cost calculator in the OP, afaik it's completely up to date.

Oh slick that'll definitely help thanks!

MizPiz posted:

Dizelabs made a character sheet app that does make it easier to build and manage your PC, but it isn't free.

I checked it out because I'd never heard of such a thing and; their license with GW ended so they had to pull it from everywhere and than shutdown because it was never profitable in the first place. :capitalism:

Electric_Mud fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Jun 30, 2018

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'd be down to upload it somewhere if that's a thing I can actually do

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
I would absolutely appreciate that.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I'll try to figure something out. If anyone knows how to do it, I'd appreciate the info.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Took me longer than it should, but here it is. Let me know if the supplemental books are included.

https://www107.zippyshare.com/v/AkjyRMx2/file.html

Edit: Should note it will only work for android

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

moths posted:

For me the $100 buy-in, awful cover art, and gimmicky cards are all pretty huge red flags.

Is "success" a trademarked term? Why are they calling success "icons" and "exalted icons"? It's jargon for jargon's sake.

I've been trying to read the free RPG day module, and I just cannot dig it. Also we're still using grid maps in 2018, apparently.

Grid maps for a miniatures combat game? :monocle:

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10

MizPiz posted:

Took me longer than it should, but here it is. Let me know if the supplemental books are included.

https://www107.zippyshare.com/v/AkjyRMx2/file.html

Edit: Should note it will only work for android

Sadly I can't get it to work in BlueStacks but it works on my phone so score, thank you!
Supplement wise it looks like only Enemies Within is included. Weirdly I have to enter in things like; home world (eg. I have to manually type in "Forge World), and background.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

robziel posted:

Sadly I can't get it to work in BlueStacks but it works on my phone so score, thank you!
Supplement wise it looks like only Enemies Within is included. Weirdly I have to enter in things like; home world (eg. I have to manually type in "Forge World), and background.

I asked because you do have to buy the other two in app. Maybe someone who can actually code can figure out a way to unlock them.

Edit: If you haven't already, go under "Manage Supplements" and click "Restore Purchase". Probably won't work but worth a shot.

MizPiz fucked around with this message at 19:58 on Jul 1, 2018

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
Yeah it wants a code or to connect to a server that no longer exists. Still, super handy

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

I had an interesting idea for a WH30K RPG campaign.

It's sort of DH, but starting at an Ascension/Deathwatch power level, and you work for Malcador as either the Knights Errant or the people who get sent to recover things like the actual Rosetta Stone. You could legitimately mix Astartes and normal humans in the same party.

It's on a literally galactic scale. You could be on the first diplomatic mission to Ulthwe craftworld, agents and assassins influencing the politics of the Imperium at the highest levels, going after touchstone cultural or scientific relics of antiquity, or a kill team tasked with taking out a heretic primarch.

Or, "everybody make a Space Wolf, we're going to go hang out with the Khan."

Rockopolis
Dec 21, 2012

I MAKE FUN OF QUEER STORYGAMES BECAUSE I HAVE NOTHING BETTER TO DO WITH MY LIFE THAN MAKE OTHER PEOPLE CRY

I can't understand these kinds of games, and not getting it bugs me almost as much as me being weird
Or Warhammer 25K and play as :rock: Thunder Warriors :rock:
Join the Emperor at the dawn of the Great Crusade as you fight the techno-barbarians to unify Holy Terra!

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

Just ran the quickstart for some friends after cookout. I will do a fuller rundown later, but I just wanted to note that any worries about a Guardsman and a Marine being unequal even with Ascension are completely gone. The Guardsman was as effective as the Marine on average even with her bayonet.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

PantsOptional posted:

Just ran the quickstart for some friends after cookout. I will do a fuller rundown later, but I just wanted to note that any worries about a Guardsman and a Marine being unequal even with Ascension are completely gone. The Guardsman was as effective as the Marine on average even with her bayonet.

I think the bigger fear is that because of how the 40k setting works, there is such a huge thematic and social difference between a guardsman and a marine that they aren't super compatible in the same story.

Elukka
Feb 18, 2011

For All Mankind
I just wouldn't mix them, at least in a combat-focused game. It's no fun if some players are vastly more powerful than others, but making guardsmen and space marines equal just robs both of what's thematically attractive about them. (regular human beings vs the horrors of the galaxy, and giant warrior-monk angels of death)

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

PantsOptional posted:

The Guardsman was as effective as the Marine on average even with her bayonet.

:yikes:

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Yeah, having a Guardsman perform as well as a Marine in the same fight just fucks with them both. Marine gets to look weak because a regular dude is keeping pace with him and the Guardsman is robbed of the feeling that he's overcoming this huge uphill struggle with faith, brains, and high explosives.

Or at least that's my take on it.

PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

To be fair: they were borh effective at different things. The Guardsman was great at taking down single targets or multiple soft targets but was a glass cannon, while the Marine was probably better at clearing out rooms of minions as well as individual enemies that were slighlty tougher than the ones that the Guardsman could solo.

The Marine was also very hard to hurt. In fact in true fashion the most damage dealt to him was when he jammed a krak grenade into a daemon’s mouth and hurt himself, the daemon, and two other PCs.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Yeah 'the guardsman' is a character with a long, long history of combat, worked with the Inquisition, as well as Inquisitorial upgrades like subdermal armor plating and their weapons and talents make them effective at different things

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

oh ok whew you should have said Stormtrooper or something, because "Guardsmen" brings to mind lovely flak armor carrying a basic lasgun average joe ok