Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Krankenstyle posted:

Right I mixed up gunchika with the real goonette, but i do think "gunchika" did a teary confession after about how it took over and they had to explain themselves after they were made? id love a link to that post

as for why would they do it? ca 2003 i talked to folks on aim pretending to have lost my legs on 9/11 (as evidenced by me in a wheelchair on webcam wrapped in an american flag) except the story was i was run over by a cabbie in queens and i didnt lose my legs. also i only did it for a weekend some hours at a time

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654252&pagenumber=102&perpage=40#post449464047

There ya go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caganer
Feb 15, 2018

Pham Nuwen posted:

I've always wondered how they got the knives on the plane, did he tell you how they were planning to do it?

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

:tutbutt:

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

hahaha yes thank you

gonna quote for possibly easier future retrieval:

GunChicka posted:

I'll explain, but it's really stupid. Didn't intend to make up a character at first, just registered for LP's and stuff but my life is really boring and I liked reading E/N so I had an idea for a crazy e/n thread I planned on stretching out for a long time. I just googled for pictures to use (which is really inconsiderate in hind sight but I figured I was just making up a story and it was harmless as they were public) as I wanted to lay some groundwork so when my story started becoming unbelievable and people dug up posts it'd seem more believable. Anyhow I got carried away with posting and shouldn't have used someone else's pictures. It was all a dumb idea anyways and I regret it. Everyone return to normal and I'll do better things with my time and just feel really embarrassed about this whole thing from and never post again.

thread post history:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3654252&userid=212964

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I was doing a handstand on floor 93 and BOOM....kneecapped by a jetliner

lmao

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
Was it here or somewhere else where the guy had the story where he'd been worried he wouldn't be interesting enough when he went to college but he was good at accents so he pretended to be Australian and was now freaking out over introducing his girlfriend to his parents since he'd been keeping up the act during their relationship?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

I remember that, that was definitely someone on here. Ages ago, maybe 10 years even?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
I... don’t remember, I had to check my own regdate but yeah it literally could have been ten years ago. Might be goldmined but I’m on my phone and it’s hard to scroll through the whole goldmine on the app.

Veni Vidi Ameche!
Nov 2, 2017

by Fluffdaddy

Pirate Radar posted:

Was it here or somewhere else where the guy had the story where he'd been worried he wouldn't be interesting enough when he went to college but he was good at accents so he pretended to be Australian and was now freaking out over introducing his girlfriend to his parents since he'd been keeping up the act during their relationship?

I think there was eventually a confession that the whole thing had been a wind-up.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

i think i found it! it was seven years ago, and also I forgot and just now remembered that E/N ops had to compare their life situation to a Darfur war orphan or get banned.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3383209

op only posted that once in the thread under that account, but still posts to this day so... :shrug:

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Veni Vidi Ameche! posted:

I think there was eventually a confession that the whole thing had been a wind-up.

Ahhhh, cool. I hadn’t seen that but the memory of the original post flitted into my head when I was reading about other situations where people pretended to be someone else.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
IRL sitcom plots never work out quite as well.

The r/relationships thread has pretty much replaced the old E/N peanut gallery, since goons are mostly savvy now.

Theotus
Nov 8, 2014

Solice Kirsk posted:

Get beefy bitch!

Super late, but this is the best one forever.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

The best part of the Gunchicka thing was the people piling in telling him they respected the confession

pixelbaron posted:

*with hope still in his heart that gunchicka might just be a bored hot babe that was posing as another equally hot babe, he closes his eyes thoughtfully* i...i forgive you. heck i even respect you..

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Proteus Jones posted:

Isn't that the clip Paul Rudd would play every time he was on Conan when he was doing to the rounds to promote a movie?

maybe

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK has a new favorite as of 14:29 on Jun 30, 2018

neonbregna
Aug 20, 2007

Mac and me. A truely misunderstood masterpiece

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There was a goon who was cursed toxxed so that each of his posts has to mention how great the Seattle Seahawks were, especially in comparison to the San Francisco 49ers. This was apparently the result of losing a bet in the football threads and he had to keep it up for 1,000 posts or eat a ban. One of the mods took pity on him and liberated him some months later but that dude had been pretty diligent towards his gimmick, and it was amazing/baffling in the non-football related forums.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

That was excellent work, yeah.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Remember when talking about Groverhaus was banned, as were some people who talked about it, and even permabanned? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410173&pagenumber=13&perpage=40#post391409448

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Mod sass. Truly a dark time.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

YggiDee posted:

There was a goon who was cursed toxxed so that each of his posts has to mention how great the Seattle Seahawks were, especially in comparison to the San Francisco 49ers. This was apparently the result of losing a bet in the football threads and he had to keep it up for 1,000 posts or eat a ban. One of the mods took pity on him and liberated him some months later but that dude had been pretty diligent towards his gimmick, and it was amazing/baffling in the non-football related forums.

may contain peanuts is a goon of their word

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3411101

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

Didn't someone call Microwave's mom? Or was that just Diet Pill and Sister's Panties-Sniffer?

Diet pill guy was alias777, who did quite a few more dumb things.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/dictionary.php?act=3&topicid=1727

timefly
Apr 29, 2008

Oh wow, I can't believe I never realized that. IIRC the writing style was different and HumperMonkey seemed dumber. I just remember HM's son and girlfriend trying to stealthily smoke "oxycotton" in the backseat of his car.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Wasn’t the official canon that 50 foot ant was humpermonkey’s younger brother and humpermonkey had died at some point?

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Wasn’t the official canon that 50 foot ant was humpermonkey’s younger brother and humpermonkey had died at some point?

Thought it was the other way around but something along those lines

BogDew
Jun 14, 2006

E:\FILES>quickfli clown.fli

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

More like 50Ft's severe case of Walter Mitty that seems to have been inspired by having an older brother who served, but certainly not one who had the adventures of Humper.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Now that's dedication

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

GWBBQ posted:

Remember when talking about Groverhaus was banned, as were some people who talked about it, and even permabanned? https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3410173&pagenumber=13&perpage=40#post391409448

The people that got banned and permabanned had been doxxing him on the forums.

Rev. Bleech_
Oct 19, 2004

~OKAY, WE'LL DRINK TO OUR LEGS!~

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

The people that got banned and permabanned had been doxxing him on the forums.

Not true. Hell, I got a ban for posting one of Grover's own photos.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Making it forbidden just made Groverhaus even funnier.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Was Grover the mod that also had some GiP scandal? Like he pretended to be military but actually worked some stateside contractor desk job that was Totally the Same You Guys

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Was Grover the mod that also had some GiP scandal? Like he pretended to be military but actually worked some stateside contractor desk job that was Totally the Same You Guys

yeah. he claimed that his civilian contractor rank made him the same as an active service full bird colonel.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

What, by comparing salaries? So I could claim I'm a Brigadier General?

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Solice Kirsk posted:

What, by comparing salaries? So I could claim I'm a Brigadier General?

I think his logic was that he was a certain number of steps up the civilian contractor salary ladder, so that made him equivalent to the number of steps up the salary ladder for the army, since folks in the army often use the salary ladder code (E-2, O-4, whatnot) as shorthand for the rank.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Teddybear posted:

I think his logic was that he was a certain number of steps up the civilian contractor salary ladder, so that made him equivalent to the number of steps up the salary ladder for the army, since folks in the army often use the salary ladder code (E-2, O-4, whatnot) as shorthand for the rank.

GS does not quite work the same way.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Using the rank codes in the military afaik is to make it simple to compare ranks across branches and even across NATO countries. A US Army Captain, a Navy Captain, a german Hauptmann, and a french Capitaine are not necessarily the same rank (especially the navy guy) but may well work jointly. If you’re a contractor you’re uh... probably never ever going to be giving commands to any military’s personnel so... kinda seems like Zuckerberg pretending to be a four star general.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Using the rank codes in the military afaik is to make it simple to compare ranks across branches and even across NATO countries. A US Army Captain, a Navy Captain, a german Hauptmann, and a french Capitaine are not necessarily the same rank (especially the navy guy) but may well work jointly. If you’re a contractor you’re uh... probably never ever going to be giving commands to any military’s personnel so... kinda seems like Zuckerberg pretending to be a four star general.

hence why GIP got so pissed at him for making the claim

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
I loved it when grover was finally not a mod but stayed a mod since the powers that be didn't want to let gip think that they could control who mods were.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Third World Reggin posted:

I loved it when grover was finally not a mod but stayed a mod since the powers that be didn't want to let gip think that they could control who mods were.

grover saga [everything about it]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Even in the US, it’s not like GS has separate officer and enlisted ranks, just steps and grades.