Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

Anne Whateley posted:

it's called a meat diaper or meat pad if you want to google more

Wow that's like the worst name for that that anyone could possibly come up with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

:nms: one interview with a butterball hotline phone worker mentioned a senile grandmother who put a baby's dirty diaper on the cooked and cooling bird

The caller wanted to salvage it :barf:

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!
I seared a Chuck roast once and a meat diaper had stuck to the bottom. Yeah, it's a bitch to get off an iron skillet. Didn't hurt the roast though.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
We got a head of romaine in our latest farm box and when my wife chopped off the base there was a milky white residue on the leaves where the cut was made. I don't think I've ever noticed that before and my wife is convinced that something is wrong with said romaine. Does it normally do that or should we be worried?

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.

C-Euro posted:

We got a head of romaine in our latest farm box and when my wife chopped off the base there was a milky white residue on the leaves where the cut was made. I don't think I've ever noticed that before and my wife is convinced that something is wrong with said romaine. Does it normally do that or should we be worried?

It's the sap. Perfectly safe to eat the lettuce. If you have enough sap you can even try to get high.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

effika posted:

It's the sap. Perfectly safe to eat the lettuce. If you have enough sap you can even try to get high.

:eyepop: brb gonna go harvest a whole field of romaine.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

:eyepop: brb gonna go harvest a whole field of romaine.

poo poo man I'm gonna stash the rotten romaines at work. Gonna trip balls in the back :2bong:

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Don’t do it. I lost a friend to romaining.

He lettuce all down.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Dont do it. I lost a friend to romaining.

He lettuce all down.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHoNWwhzh3M&hd=1

DasNeonLicht
Dec 25, 2005

"...and the light is on and burning brightly for the masses."
Fallen Rib

He lettuce all down.

:golfclap:

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

effika posted:

Holy poo poo, learn something new every day I guess.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

He lettuce all down.

He romains forever in our memories

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
What's your best recipe involving string beans

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Jeb! Repetition posted:

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2015/03/20150305-sichuan-dry-fried-green-bean-broiled-food-lab-recipe.html

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
I have 10 habanero peppers that I need to use before they go bad.

Do any of you have a simple recipe for a hot sauce that will keep? I have made jalapeno jelly but I think I want a hot sauce with the habanero.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.
The silicone bulb of my baster always seems to absorb too much of the smell from wherever it's stored. Is there a way to stop this?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The silicone bulb of my baster always seems to absorb too much of the smell from wherever it's stored. Is there a way to stop this?

Store it in a ziploc? Alternatively, don't leave it in your fart jar.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

goodness posted:

Do any of you have a simple recipe for a hot sauce that will keep? I have made jalapeno jelly but I think I want a hot sauce with the habanero.

I just split and dehydrated some habs that weren’t gonna keep. Now I have crushed habanero that should keep a bit longer.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

goodness posted:

Chop fine, put them in a clean mason jar with enough 5% brine to cover, wait a couple weeks, blend well, put the mash through a fine strainer, add about half again as much vinegar as you have filtered mash.

This fermentation strategy works fine most of the time by itself, but if you use an airlock lid on your jar it's pretty much foolproof.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Jeb! Repetition posted:

I really like this one: https://www.tastecooking.com/recipes/long-cooked-green-beans/

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

SubG posted:

Chop fine, put them in a clean mason jar with enough 5% brine to cover...

This. I've made 2 batches of hot sauce, one fermented, one not, the fermented is definitely better. I didn't add vinegar. I think mine were 3.5% brine. Matter of fact, think I'll start another batch tomorrow.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Candied habanero is pretty amazing

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

spankmeister posted:

Candied habanero is pretty amazing

Just be careful when pouring hot sugar syrup over the habaneros. Wear a mask or at least a bandana tied around your face.
I pepper gassed myself pretty badly one time making them.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

SubG posted:

Chop fine, put them in a clean mason jar with enough 5% brine to cover, wait a couple weeks, blend well, put the mash through a fine strainer, add about half again as much vinegar as you have filtered mash.

This fermentation strategy works fine most of the time by itself, but if you use an airlock lid on your jar it's pretty much foolproof.

I have ordered some airlocks, but for this first batch do I need to burp the mason jars if they just have regular tops?

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

Thumposaurus posted:

Just be careful when pouring hot sugar syrup over the habaneros. Wear a mask or at least a bandana tied around your face.
I pepper gassed myself pretty badly one time making them.

What is your technique here? When I made candies habaneros, I added the sliced chillies to the syrup, cooked them for a bit, then pulled them out to dry. The other way round sounds deadly!

wormil
Sep 12, 2002

Hulk will smoke you!

goodness posted:

I have ordered some airlocks, but for this first batch do I need to burp the mason jars if they just have regular tops?

Yes. Just loosen and retighten.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

goodness posted:

Yeah. Before I got airlock lids I'd just sit a delitainer lid on top of the jars and put the jars where they wouldn't get bumped, which works on the same principle. But just burping the jar by hand makes more sense if you've only got one jar going.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Jeb! Repetition posted:

Sauteed with butter, garlic, and almond slivers

No, more butter than you're thinking

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

Does restaurant/pub hollandaise ever have cream or skim milk powder as an additive or stabilizer?

The boyfriend wolfed down some hollandaise heavy brunch and I'm wondering if its the shitton of butter or something else that's bothering his lactose intolerant guts.
(Normal amounts of butter don't bother him, for reference)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Jyrraeth posted:

Does restaurant/pub hollandaise ever have cream or skim milk powder as an additive or stabilizer?
Yeah, if they're using a food service premade sauce or sauce mix. From scratch it's just egg yolk, butter, lemon. But some form of milk or cream shows up in the ingredients list of most of the premade poo poo.

Edit: or if they're serving fleurette as hollandaise.

SubG fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Jul 3, 2018

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw_niHJhXRY

Jyrraeth
Aug 1, 2008

I love this dino
SOOOO MUCH

SubG posted:

Yeah, if they're using a food service premade sauce or sauce mix. From scratch it's just egg yolk, butter, lemon. But some form of milk or cream shows up in the ingredients list of most of the premade poo poo.

Edit: or if they're serving fleurette as hollandaise.

That's probably it. It's not a place that I would expect to make their own sauces. I'm 90% sure that they don't make their own, they only offer brunch on weekends.

well at least we ate brunch 20 minutes after opening :v:

He laid down and is fine, so its not food poisoning

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
When we were in Hawaii we were served some onion on a kebab with other vegetables. The onion was, for lack of a better term, spicy. It really seemed to have some heat to it. We were told they were Maui onions.

Are there any other onions like this? I tried vidalia, but it doesn't have the kick.

Scientastic
Mar 1, 2010

TRULY scientastic.
🔬🍒

I’ve been volunteered to help my local Beavers group (6-8 year olds) learn about Indian food... I was thinking I could make samosas and pakora, but I was wondering if anyone had any other ideas for finger food?

Also, if anyone has a cold Indian dish that perhaps they could assemble themselves? There are too many of them to do cooking and keep them under control, but I’m sure we could get them mixing and putting ingredients together... There is no cooking on-site, unfortunately, so it would all have to come from my kitchen.

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

Scientastic posted:

What is your technique here? When I made candies habaneros, I added the sliced chillies to the syrup, cooked them for a bit, then pulled them out to dry. The other way round sounds deadly!

It was years ago I'm pretty sure I was following this guide.
http://www.fieryfoodscentral.com/2008/07/06/candied-capsicums/

They ended up turning out great and kept for a long time. I gave a bunch to a friend and he mixed it ground up with salt/sugar for rimming margarita glasses with.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Scientastic posted:

Also, if anyone has a cold Indian dish that perhaps they could assemble themselves? There are too many of them to do cooking and keep them under control, but I’m sure we could get them mixing and putting ingredients together... There is no cooking on-site, unfortunately, so it would all have to come from my kitchen.

I mean it's super simple but maybe raita? As for finger food there's always the restaurant staple of poppadoms and a selection of pickles and chutneys.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Beachcomber posted:

When we were in Hawaii we were served some onion on a kebab with other vegetables. The onion was, for lack of a better term, spicy. It really seemed to have some heat to it. We were told they were Maui onions.

Are there any other onions like this? I tried vidalia, but it doesn't have the kick.

Vidalia onions are known as sweet onions, so they would be the opposite of what you are looking for. Spicy onions are grown in soil with high sulphur content, thus why the Maui onions were so spicy. Anyway, here is a guide to onion types: https://www.saveur.com/article/Techniques/onion-guide

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest
I have a couple pounds of fresh cranberry beans and I'm looking for a dish that highlights their freshness and creamy texture. As I understand it they interchangeable with pinto beans so I've searched recipes for those too but nothing looks really different or exciting. How exciting are my beans allowed to be.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"
I have a bag of shrimp shells I've had in the freezer for god knows how long now, well over a year. Can I still make stock out of them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

AnonSpore posted:

I have a bag of shrimp shells I've had in the freezer for god knows how long now, well over a year. Can I still make stock out of them?

Yeah, frozen shells, no problem.