Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

That and they don't LOS Propeller Wind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drizvolta
Oct 31, 2011

Alder posted:

A11n is the new pug killer.

A11N was always the worst pub killer of that raid tier I feel

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Leofish posted:

Huh, I always thought the dot was the killer. Those birds are bastards though.

The dot's more of the cream topping on top of the kicking-your-arse-cake that's all of the autoattacks in that pull. The Dhara's, the Zu and the big Rock beast all occasionally stop to cast AoE's (or Stone II's in the Dhara's case) but those birds just keep pecking and winging you until they or you are dead.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
When I was leveling warrior my rule was I'd only do a big pull there if the earlier pulls went flawlessly

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I just did a big pull every time. That pull is right before the dodge-boss so there's no good reason to save your cooldowns and it isn't like anything else in the dungeon requires it. Popping Hallowed Ground or Holmgang there is basically ideal.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The real problem is DPS. If DPS is lovely you don't have enough cooldown for the whole pull

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

Lets say I would like to have a tank ready for heaven on high at 61, The best way to level there from 34 is just spamming The highest level dungeon? Or do you suppose it would Be better to run it with a lvl70 job first?

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

I think you want to do your daily roulettes, but other than that, yeah, spam the highest level dungeon. As a tank, you can get in pretty much instantly. Once you hit 50, remember that the MSQ gives a big chunk of XP to make up for the duration and tedium of it, so that's a source of XP I wouldn't blame you for skipping.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

Leveling a tank is the easiest and fastest thing. Just spam the highest level dungeon. Post 51 you even get the fixed gear drops.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Patrocclesiastes posted:

Lets say I would like to have a tank ready for heaven on high at 61, The best way to level there from 34 is just spamming The highest level dungeon? Or do you suppose it would Be better to run it with a lvl70 job first?

Daily roulettes, followed by spamming the highest-level dungeon, will get you levels pretty quickly. That goes double for tanks, since Duty Finder queues are pretty much instant. As the tank, you can make dungeons go along even faster by going for big pulls, but it's kind of a thing you have to get a feel for. Grab too much for your healer and cooldowns to handle and you die, grab too little and nothing terrible happens but it'll take longer and any casters or monks in your party will hate you.

Speaking of monks, I finally got it to 60! Monk's kinda fun and, much more importantly, has :krad: artifact gear and poses. 10 more levels on it, and 9 more on WAR, and I can finally ignore them in favor of SMN and SCH have all of the combat jobs capped out!

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Speaking of monks, I finally got it to 60! Monk's kinda fun and, much more importantly, has :krad: artifact gear and poses. 10 more levels on it, and 9 more on WAR, and I can finally ignore them in favor of SMN and SCH have all of the combat jobs capped out!

Nice! I'm leveling Monk right now as well, then once that's done I just need to get SAM to 70 and I've gotten all classes to 70.

Psychedelic
Jul 31, 2009

Does anybody ever sell abandoned Fee Companies in here? On the Jenova server I have a rank 8 hingan mansion in TLB that we no longer use and I would hate to just demolish it to have someone drop 200,000,000 gil just on the plot

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Alder fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jul 1, 2018

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Hello FF friends. Third Party Tools still active and healthy?

I played through all of 2.x, Heavensward and part of Stormblood with them last year and had an amazing time (Sjan Sjet).

Didn't finish Stormblood and life has kept me busy, but it's been on my mind lately, game good, so I was thinking about coming back and trying to finish most / all of it.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I kinda wish SE would backport the separation of tank stuff from DoW stuff into the original ARR stuff that doesn't have it, I keep seeing tanks wearing DoW items at lower levels and it's getting frustrating trying to heal someone in half outdated tank gear and half outdated DoW gear through the big pulls they keep doing even after I ask them not to in Stone Vigil. :sigh:

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

anyone interested in potd? I have found 1 other person on aether DC.

Sunday Morning
Apr 7, 2007

Easy
Smellrose

victrix posted:

Hello FF friends. Third Party Tools still active and healthy?

I played through all of 2.x, Heavensward and part of Stormblood with them last year and had an amazing time (Sjan Sjet).

Didn't finish Stormblood and life has kept me busy, but it's been on my mind lately, game good, so I was thinking about coming back and trying to finish most / all of it.

They sure are. All 3 fcs are still active and doing well.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Next crafting question, is there a point in crafter levels where sale prices take a huge leap? Or is it a pretty linear increase? Just wondering if theres a big opportunity cost selling HQ velveteen rather than powering up to 50.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Control Volume posted:

Next crafting question, is there a point in crafter levels where sale prices take a huge leap? Or is it a pretty linear increase? Just wondering if theres a big opportunity cost selling HQ velveteen rather than powering up to 50.

On Excal I've sold hq rubber for 8000 each. It's all over the map.

a crisp refreshing Moxie
May 2, 2007

Higher level crafting materials tend to drop from treasure maps, which moderates their prices more than middle-of-the-curve crafting materials that are sourced entirely from crafters or are beastman tribe (time)-gated.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Phone posted:

On Excal I've sold hq rubber for 8000 each. It's all over the map.

Lol what a coincidental price. I guess I'll keep gouging people on cotton and velveteen then.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?
Still waiting for Free Company Alliances. I have friends in all Free Companies and would like to talk to everyone at once. :smith:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

The Grimace posted:

Still waiting for Free Company Alliances. I have friends in all Free Companies and would like to talk to everyone at once. :smith:

Why not just make a group linkshell?

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Control Volume posted:

Lol what a coincidental price. I guess I'll keep gouging people on cotton and velveteen then.

The only people buying things are raiders (consumables) and other crafters. Making high quality middle-man materials is decent money. Better still? Target the leve turn-in items.

Basically the main driver of FFXIV's economy is laziness.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ImpAtom posted:

Why not just make a group linkshell?

Linkshells max at 128 people.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Shere posted:

The only people buying things are raiders (consumables) and other crafters. Making high quality middle-man materials is decent money. Better still? Target the leve turn-in items.

Selling some housing items that cost me a literal pittance to make for 200k plus and I can't loving even :psyduck:

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

Bolow posted:

Selling some housing items that cost me a literal pittance to make for 200k plus and I can't loving even :psyduck:

I made a couple million over a week on a lark selling loving marble flooring which takes about two minutes to gather the materials and make myself

it was a total accident too, just happened to have a second i didn't need and saw it went for 325k apiece so I did that maybe five times over a week when I was bored

housing items are the key to making bank via crafting

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

The Grimace posted:

They're all on Discord, but it's an imperfect solution.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Mordiceius posted:

Linkshells max at 128 people.

Yeah but if you just want to talk with friends it's fine.

I'd like to see FC alliance chat but I'd only use it for organizing groups and poo poo. The three FCs already have different cultures.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Argas posted:

Yeah but if you just want to talk with friends it's fine.

I'd like to see FC alliance chat but I'd only use it for organizing groups and poo poo. The three FCs already have different cultures.

Yeah, but it'd be nice to have a bigger community to talk to.

But that reminds me If you see this and you like running maps, message Mordiceius Ketsumei in game for an invite to the treasure hunt linkshell

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Control Volume posted:

Shere posted:

Absolutely. I'm not hurting for money, but there's a lot to be said for being able to take a couple of crappy low-level fish or NQ Silver Ores, turning them into HQ Fish Glue or Silver Ingots, and then selling that for 5000 gil each. It literally requires clicking the synthesize button, then clicking a macro button, then waiting 30 seconds! Incidentally, the macro generator's handy if you haven't discovered it yet.

Other than that, since I'm not sure where you are in leveling crafters, get CUL to 37 ASAP for Steady Hand II, which is mandatory, and then LTW to 15 for Waste Not so you can do those 40 durability crafts without going insane. Your Grand Company will sell some pretty solid crafter/gatherer outfits to use up to level 50. The actual job-specific gear you get at 50 is quite a bit worse than the GC stuff, though some of it looks fabulous. The inaccurately-named Alchemist's Trousers is the best skirt in the game and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

yes it's a thinly veiled excuse to post selfies, not that i've ever needed one

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

There is literally no reason to ever run 50/60DR. Literally no reason.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
I decided to dust off my WHM this weekend, which was still below 60, and holy poo poo (GET IT? HOLY!?) I had forgotten how much fun that job is.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Absolutely. I'm not hurting for money, but there's a lot to be said for being able to take a couple of crappy low-level fish or NQ Silver Ores, turning them into HQ Fish Glue or Silver Ingots, and then selling that for 5000 gil each. It literally requires clicking the synthesize button, then clicking a macro button, then waiting 30 seconds! Incidentally, the macro generator's handy if you haven't discovered it yet.

Other than that, since I'm not sure where you are in leveling crafters, get CUL to 37 ASAP for Steady Hand II, which is mandatory, and then LTW to 15 for Waste Not so you can do those 40 durability crafts without going insane. Your Grand Company will sell some pretty solid crafter/gatherer outfits to use up to level 50. The actual job-specific gear you get at 50 is quite a bit worse than the GC stuff, though some of it looks fabulous. The inaccurately-named Alchemist's Trousers is the best skirt in the game and anyone who disagrees is wrong.

yes it's a thinly veiled excuse to post selfies, not that i've ever needed one

Yeah, beyond a certain point (other than buying a house) gil becomes obsolete if you can craft most of the stuff that actually costs money, other than maybe map stuff to get the most up to date glamours. I have been making desynth books and bacon broth as my main way of making money with bacon broth HQ selling for 50k ea (which you craft 3 per time with a easy macro) and the books (which do require some difficult mats) for 500k ea. It's really not difficult to do.

Also as my thinly veiled excuse to post my character, can I say how nice the clothing for the new crafter/gatherer sets are, they are really well done and very understated pieces of gear. If only I could glamour them on to something else. :negative:

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bolow posted:

Again, it's a case of being lazy. There are people in PBC who years ago spent like 200m gil to gear up their crafters because they didn't want to craft the items themselves. When decorating their house and they want to take their time playing The Sims the last thing that person wants to do MB hunt for the materials to craft a piece of furniture, especially if it's a one-off thing they're finally attending to and they're gonna be placing items by the dozens/hundreds.

If the prices were all like 100k, 200k, 100k, 50k, 200k, 500k, 200k times 100 they might give pause to plan it out, but when you're bulk buying poo poo to play barbie and it's 100 gil, 200 gil, 1k gil, 100k gil, 2k gil, 50 gil the jump may be jarring but you can just shrug it off as part of the expenses depending on your budget if that's the convenience price not to bother having to check.

Also not everyone who's rich is a crafter and some people don't even want to look at the crafting screen with a ten-foot pole.

This question keeps popping up from time to time so here's the answer: There's no gil dump in this game. There are people in WoW with mad surplus complaining about having nowhere to spend it and in WoW you can buy extremely expensive mounts, BoE heroic/mythic drops from raids that are rare and possibly BiS, or buy prestige stuff at the black market auction house for up to 1m gold. There's no equivalent in FFXIV, this game has no real gil dump. After a very low threshold there's no point in hoarding gil anymore and since as far as having money goes, glamour/housing is one of the endgames, so there's also no reason to be cautious with gil if it's not gonna break your bank.

If you found an item that costs 5k to make and sells for 200k enjoy your money and your ride towards the realization there's nothing to do with it.

Elentor fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Jul 2, 2018

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

I have been slowly leveling my crafting - so far I have been doing them altogether (so that they share mostly the same gear). Should I be targeting a few of them specifically for the cross-class skills?

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Weissritter posted:

I have been slowly leveling my crafting - so far I have been doing them altogether (so that they share mostly the same gear). Should I be targeting a few of them specifically for the cross-class skills?

Yes, for early levels, Careful Synthesis I and II is a huge help which is from weaver level 15 and 50 respectively as well as Waste Not (Leatherworker 15). Steady Hand II (Culinarian 37) is also handy when you start needing to make things high quality, Comfort Zone (Culinarian 50) and Byregot's Blessing (50 Carpenter) are also really helpful.

Weissritter
Jun 14, 2012

Samael posted:

Yes, for early levels, Careful Synthesis I and II is a huge help which is from weaver level 15 and 50 respectively as well as Waste Not (Leatherworker 15). Steady Hand II (Culinarian 37) is also handy when you start needing to make things high quality, Comfort Zone (Culinarian 50) and Byregot's Blessing (50 Carpenter) are also really helpful.

So Weaver, Culinarian and Carpenter to 50 first?

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
For trying to craft seriously, I'd get everything to 15, then CUL to 37 for Steady Hand 2, CRP to 50 for Byregot's Blessing, WVR to 50 for Careful Synth 2 and then whatever. You can do 1-15 pretty quickly with normal recipes, then move to Ixal dailies + leves + GC turnins. Switch dailies to moogles at 50, then namazu at 60. If you have the gil to spare, you can do many of the GC turnins the lazy way by buying NQ gear from vendors (exceptions: jewelry, food, gatherer mats and fish after level 20).

And to me, spending more on finished items that can be made cheaper is about deciding to spend my time on something else. I was just catching up on some crafting quests over the weekend, and sure I could make most of the stuff cheaply with enough patience and luck, by tracking down the lowest price base mats and hoping the RNG doesn't gently caress me over too much (I don't have gatherers over 40 or HQ/melded crafting gear to help with those parts). Or I spend what I realize is way too much gil in isolation, but it's basically a one-time fee and I don't have to HQ a bunch of intermediate 40 durability crafts.

Mordiceius posted:

This is true if XP is the only metric someone's interested in, because the daily XP bonus sucks. Otherwise, 50/60 DR is cool for more poetics by running content that's not syncing your abilities too much, and it's largely painless because a lot of the dungeons can be finished in 10-15 minutes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer

Mordiceius posted:

:wrong:

- If you remember to get the daily quest for it, you can use it to work towards some HW relics on the side
- It's the best and safest way to level a tank (and to a lesser extent healer) on the side, since you're guaranteed to get into a dungeon where your ironworks/shire gear is near top of the line - no landing in Bardam's with unaugmented shire tank gear and dying three times on the way to the first boss. No intermediate gearing up neccessary when leveling 50->70.
- Good and inoffensive source of poetics when you've already exhausted your other roulettes and still need more

Now, expert roulette on the other hand... It feels like months since i've queued for that. I can count the number of times i've been in Hell's Lid and Swallow's Compass combined on one hand, and i'm p. sure the number of times i've queued ExDR at all in Stormblood is still in the single digits.
Literally no reason.