Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

sponges posted:

I tried to play FO 1 and 2 and they move so slowly I thought they weren’t running correctly on my PC. Just unplayable.

You can change combat movement speeds in settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

vandalism posted:

Look... we can say graphics don't matter all day, but we know that's only true up to a certain point. I am rimworld like it's my second job. However, fnv looks like horse poo poo compared to 4. If they ported new Vegas to the engine they used for 4, I would jizz myself. Also, new Vegas looked amazing and was fun as hell when it came out and I'm sure still fun. My guy just looks like beef jerky. Game still owns.

Oh no, it looked like poo poo when it came out. Uglier than Fallout 3, which was already ugly. Well the securitrons looked cool

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

vandalism posted:

poo poo. I fired up New Vegas. The textures look like the results of a wet fart. My guy's face looks like hamburger. gently caress. I bet the gun play would give me a seizure. Time to keep playing fallout 4.

Check out the character creator in Morrowind.

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
I've been playing new vegas for the first time and something bizzare just happened. I'm like 10 hours in, I just walked into silver rush for the first time, and the second I stepped inside everyone went hostile and now upon leaving they're chasing me around freeside. What the gently caress is this in aid of? Unfortunately my last autosave was on walking out so they're just hostile now and I've got no idea why. They're pretty tough and I've just died for the first time - 3 times, trying to get away. Is this a bug?

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
Do I seriously need to loose 3 hours of playtime to stop these loving dickheads from chasing me around with energy weapons?? This is such a huge pile of poo poo.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

Oblivion engine makes all characters look like potatoes, no matter how much they gussy it up. It just needs a little help.

cubicle gangster posted:

I've been playing new vegas for the first time and something bizzare just happened. I'm like 10 hours in, I just walked into silver rush for the first time, and the second I stepped inside everyone went hostile and now upon leaving they're chasing me around freeside. What the gently caress is this in aid of? Unfortunately my last autosave was on walking out so they're just hostile now and I've got no idea why. They're pretty tough and I've just died for the first time - 3 times, trying to get away. Is this a bug?

The first time you enter Silver Rush a scripted event occurs between Gloria and a customer who owes them money. Four guards block the walkways to the inner room behind the fence. Any attempt to move past the guards prior to the completion of the scripted event will result in all Silver Rush inhabitants becoming hostile.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Jul 1, 2018

cubicle gangster
Jun 26, 2005

magda, make the tea
There were no guards - there were some people inside a cage/fenced in area and I was walking around it while listening to the conversation inside, but absolutely nobody stopping me from going anywhere. E: did my companion try and go inside? I have Victoria with me.
Is my game hosed? If I somehow get lucky and manage to run out of the area have I lost out on a ton of side quests?
Why on Earth did they think it was a good idea to have a condition like this?

I thought everyone starting shooting was part of the scripted event which is why I hoofed it out of there, unwittingly overwriting what I have now realised is the single, lone autosave this game keeps. For how much it popped up that it was saving that was possibly the biggest surprise.

cubicle gangster fucked around with this message at 08:15 on Jul 1, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

hawowanlawow posted:

it was definitely my first thought as soon as the pod re-froze, and I'm sure it was everyone else's

but that's that people want, predictable boilerplate. any kind of unconventional story/twist would just confuse people, and when people feel confused they get angry

When you talk to Nick about Shaun and Nick tells you that Kellogg came into Diamond City with a ten year old, you can immediately jump to that conclusion and then start tracking Kellogg? So... you realizing that was explicitly written into the story?

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

cubicle gangster posted:

There were no guards - there were some people inside a cage/fenced in area and I was walking around it while listening to the conversation inside, but absolutely nobody stopping me from going anywhere. E: did my companion try and go inside? I have Victoria with me.
Is my game hosed? If I somehow get lucky and manage to run out of the area have I lost out on a ton of side quests?

I thought everyone starting shooting was part of the scripted event which is why I hoofed it out of there, unwittingly overwriting what I have now realised is the single, lone autosave this game keeps. For how much it popped up that it was saving that was possibly the biggest surprise.

Did you not talk to the guard out front and do his quest first?

Otacon
Aug 13, 2002

My SimSettlement's Starlight Drive-In finally hit level 2, and it's looking insane. Still waiting on Sanctuary to hit level 3 (it's at 90%, almost there!)

Yes, that's a battle-dome at the top of the Nuka Cola cylindrical base. Two settlers enter, one settler leaves.

Again, this is all SimSettlements - Rise of the Commonwealth preplanned bases. I barely did anything to build this. It's all auto-generated by the mod.

cargohills
Apr 18, 2014

frajaq posted:

The real reason New Vegas is the best Fallout yet is because the opening sequence doesn't take for-loving-ever and it only takes 2 or 3 minutes before you're out and free on the open to do whatever the gently caress you want and go wherever you want

It might not have an explicitly mandatory introduction, but it still has an introduction. If you try to stray from the path of the first quest you'll find instadeath Cazadors and Deathclaws. If you specifically try to avoid following the path you can, but if you're desperate to do that in 3 or 4 then you can just save at the end of the intro and start again from there.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

That poo poo is really cool man

I feel like Bethesda's vision for Fallout gets redeemed when I see those really cool settlements

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

When you talk to Nick about Shaun and Nick tells you that Kellogg came into Diamond City with a ten year old, you can immediately jump to that conclusion and then start tracking Kellogg? So... you realizing that was explicitly written into the story?

what the gently caress are you talking about? realizing you could be frozen for any length of time at the beginning is written into the game... because the game tells you later?

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

"hey, I bet the old guy who talked about his retirement in this buddy cop movie dies, lol"

*he dies*

"no poo poo he dies, idiot. they just showed it!"

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

frajaq posted:

I feel like Bethesda's vision for Fallout gets redeemed when I see those really cool settlements

I wished that they had included something like that when I played FO4, then again the lack of successful settlements in general bugged me, sure, the Institute is loving over anyone who can threaten them, but there should at least be some more than 4 places that consists of more than a single family.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

frajaq posted:

Also forget the stuff that no one really cares about like story, setting, cohesive narrative or choice & consequence.

The real reason New Vegas is the best Fallout yet is because the opening sequence doesn't take for-loving-ever and it only takes 2 or 3 minutes before you're out and free on the open to do whatever the gently caress you want and go wherever you want

4 isn't that much longer really, it's Bethesda's most mercifully short intro since Morrowind

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

cargohills posted:

It might not have an explicitly mandatory introduction, but it still has an introduction. If you try to stray from the path of the first quest you'll find instadeath Cazadors and Deathclaws. If you specifically try to avoid following the path you can, but if you're desperate to do that in 3 or 4 then you can just save at the end of the intro and start again from there.

This is one of the things that pisses me off the most with the Fallout 4 intro on Survival; can't save without sleeping, and the game won't let you sleep in the vault because 'MY SHAUN' so you can't make a save that you can use to try out alternate builds without going through the whole intro again.

E: Oh hey, somebody made a Fallout 4 mod for Heavy Rain.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DAhG9D9UO7c

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

goatsestretchgoals posted:

This is one of the things that pisses me off the most with the Fallout 4 intro on Survival; can't save without sleeping, and the game won't let you sleep in the vault because 'MY SHAUN' so you can't make a save that you can use to try out alternate builds without going through the whole intro again.

fallout 4 automatically makes a save right before you get on the elevator out of the vault and have the opportunity to change everything

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
There sure is a lot of dogs for sale in the Creation Club now, I guess if you wanted Sanctuary staffed with nothing but dogs then now you can?

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

Cyberpunkey Monkey posted:

iirc if you have the super mutant bro with you at the time, you can win without anyone dying.

Without DLC, he refuses to go in because it's "your moment" even though he's immune to radiation. It was the absolute dumbest thing about F3, and that's saying a lot.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Kaal posted:

You can change combat movement speeds in settings.

And change running to always on, but neither of those will save you from the sheer horror of watching combat play out if you start a fight on the streets of New Reno. So many fleeing beggars...

goatsestretchgoals posted:

Like the other guy said, the game saves right before or after opening the vault door at the beginning. It also makes a hard save whenever you switch to survival, so what I do is play through the intro on normal, then switch to survival five feet from the already open elevator, and bam, instant start spot.

It was always weird when they did this in 3 because you make a couple pretty substantial choices prior (saving Butch's mom, sparing the Overseer, etc). Whereas in 4 the only choice you make is whether or not you flirted with your husband and how polite you were to the vault salesman.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

frajaq posted:

I feel like Bethesda's lack of vision for Fallout gets redeemed when I see those really cool settlements

Fixed that for you.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

chitoryu12 posted:

Even then, the incident is basically a random day in your life. Couriers have delivered plenty of packages, of course. To you, that day was just another package. It bears no more meaning on the Courier you create than whether or not the Vault Dweller from Vault 13 once stole a bottle of beer five years before being sent out to find the water chip, unless you decide that it matters after finding out.

"For you, the day a Courier graced the Divide was the most important day of your life. But for me, it was Tuesday."

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

cubicle gangster posted:

This happened too me too the first time I played, but I can't offer you to much help on how to fix it because I just reloaded an old save and then watched the cut-scene while standing perfectly still.

Here's the thing about the Van Graffs: They're rear end in a top hat and killing them is probably the right move (it's normally a good idea to hold out a little longer because you can get some neat free stuff and learn WHY they're assholes, but it's no big deal really if you don't). However, at low levels killing them and their crew is going to be really hard. I do have one thing that you could try though, but it all depends on you already having a strip passport: kite them over to the securitrons guarding the strip entrance, then the robots will start attacking them when they try to enter. The bots should be able to beat, or at least severally injure, them.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
Shotgun slugs and explosives are probably the cheapest way to deal with armored enemies early in the game.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

"The warmth of life has entered my tomb!"

chitoryu12 posted:

The worst part is that when you find Kellogg and plunder his mind, you outright see Shaun as a child! It should be completely obvious that years have passed, but the Sole Survivor will keep asking people about their baby and be surprised when Shaun isn't an infant.

I have to admit I was rolling my eyes at The Sole Survivor for thinking Shaun was a baby even after meeting Kellogg but I was actually surprised when you find out he is an old man. I give them credit for that at least. Too bad they didn't do anything interesting with it.

Just started playing Fallout 4 again after the 76 announcement and I've decided to just ignore the main quest entirely for as long as I can. Is there a way to get the Prydwen to fly in that doesn't involve doing the main story? I'm guessing no.

What's the best source of .44 ammo? I'm wanting to play through using pistols and I keep running out of .44 and 10 mm ammo. I got plenty of .45 ammo but I think the pipe revolver looks like garbage. To be fair it is made from literal garbage but still.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Just started playing Fallout 4 again after the 76 announcement and I've decided to just ignore the main quest entirely for as long as I can. Is there a way to get the Prydwen to fly in that doesn't involve doing the main story? I'm guessing no.

Nope. The Prydwen doesn't show up until after you kill Kellogg.

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

SwitchbladeKult posted:

The best you can do is go straight to Vault 114 and rescue Nick without any direction, then start the Reunions quest. You can skip Pogmeat, Preston, Piper and potentially Paladin Panse.

SwitchbladeKult posted:

What's the best source of .44 ammo? I'm wanting to play through using pistols and I keep running out of .44 and 10 mm ammo. I got plenty of .45 ammo but I think the pipe revolver looks like garbage. To be fair it is made from literal garbage but still.

Merchants only, unless you want to use the Contraptions crafting stuff from Nuka-World.

Jeff Goldblum fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jul 1, 2018

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Jeff Goldblum posted:

The best you can do is go straight to Vault 114 and rescue Nick without any direction, then start the Reunions quest. You can skip Pogmeat, Preston, Piper and potentially Paladin Panse.

Merchants only, unless you want to use the Contraptions crafting stuff from Nuka-World.

Awesome! I'll try doing that then. I had a momentary lapse of judgement and actually helped Preston in Concord although I still haven't completed not will I ever competed Meet Preston in Sanctuary.

Hobo on Fire
Dec 4, 2008

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Is there a way to get the Prydwen to fly in that doesn't involve doing the main story? I'm guessing no.

If you are on PC and open to mods, here is one that you could use:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28006/

With this, finishing the Arcjet quest and recovering the deep range transmitter for Danse sets a timer of one in-game week. After that, the blimp shows up, and the BoS will start sending their forces out into the commonwealth.
The mod author does say that you should kill Kellog before taking the vertibird up and meeting Maxon, because not doing so would break things.

SwitchbladeKult
Apr 4, 2012

Hobo on Fire posted:

If you are on PC and open to mods, here is one that you could use:
https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/28006/

With this, finishing the Arcjet quest and recovering the deep range transmitter for Danse sets a timer of one in-game week. After that, the blimp shows up, and the BoS will start sending their forces out into the commonwealth.
The mod author does say that you should kill Kellog before taking the vertibird up and meeting Maxon, because not doing so would break things.

Speaking of Maxon, will shooting him in the face the moment I meet him break anything besides Danse and BoS quests?

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

chitoryu12 posted:

Nope. The Prydwen doesn't show up until after you kill Kellogg.

Really? That's when it's supposed to show up? Geez, I must have accidentally screwed something up, it didn't appear for me after that for some reason.

Jezza of OZPOS
Mar 21, 2018

GET LOSE❌🗺️, YOUS CAN'T COMPARE😤 WITH ME 💪POWERS🇦🇺

SwitchbladeKult posted:

Speaking of Maxon, will shooting him in the face the moment I meet him break anything besides Danse and BoS quests?

You can’t actually hurt Maxon for most of the brotherhood storyline iirc, I got really bored during his speech and started firing bullets point blank at him and he didn’t seem to care

Parkour Lewis
Apr 10, 2002

Yes I wanna play.
I really really do.
Are there any images anywhere showing what this F76 Tricentennial edition stuff is going to look like? I can easily imagine it looking like idiotic crap and I'd really like to verify that before deciding if I want to drop 20 extra bucks on what are likely just some crap skins done in mspaint and a Fortnite dance.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

...Well now I want to see the various Power Armor frames rigged to Fortnite's animation skeletons and made to dance in ways armor was not meant to dance

The clipping will be glorious

TEENAGE WITCH
Jul 20, 2008

NAH LAD
dab on u brotherhood of steel fuckboys

Jeff Goldblum
Dec 3, 2009

TEENAGE WITCH posted:

dab on u brotherhood of steel fuckboys

upcoming thread title, pls

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008
In 4, do containers inside of settlements reset? Not like, the workbench storage, but if I just put things in like, the toolbox near the workbench in sanctuary?

Gully Foyle
Feb 29, 2008

Zerilan posted:

In 4, do containers inside of settlements reset? Not like, the workbench storage, but if I just put things in like, the toolbox near the workbench in sanctuary?

If you put stuff in them, they won't. If they are empty, they can refill with random stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Some new F76 details that you can peruse at your own convenience, like players being immune to other players til level 5 (via reset era via reddit via multiplayer.it)

Imagine that I want to play alone. There will be no specific areas of the map or only PvE dedicated servers like for example with World of Warcraft?
    Not at the launch. When you come into play you can see the other players but you will not be forced to interact with them; you can play on your own. You can see them but you do not have to fight them. Maybe you can use them to exchange items, to join a team, or you can visit their camp. There are a lot of things you can do with other players that is not a comparison with weapons. However, one of our long-term plans is to have servers where you can live your lonely world. You alone. Or at the limit where you can invite only your friends; or you can apply mods and change the rules at your discretion. All of this is in our projects but there will not be at the launch of the game.

It's all very nice but how will you keep the spawn killer at bay or maybe groups of people standing outside the vault to keep the other players out? How will you try to limit those who want to make the experience of others frustrating?
    There are several tricks we are implementing to prevent the other players from doing exactly the things you describe. For example, at the moment you can not kill a player until he reaches level 5. Maybe we will change this rule, but we are aware of the risks because that stuff does not appeal to us either. But it does not scare us to try new things and leave the players the total freedom to fight at their discretion or to not do so if they are not interested.

Dying will not have much penalty but it is not clear to me what happens to your camp if it is bombed or the moment you unplug me.
    When you go offline, it disappears.

Ok, but can other players destroy it or steal something from you? Can you move it?
    Yes, other players can damage it, but only partially. But it costs very little to repair it. The reason we make it damaged is because it is possible to confine another player in the camp, if it can not break it becomes a problem. That's why we decided to make the camps destructible: not because we want to stimulate others to attack your shelter but to prevent players from using the camp to annoy other players. It's still very easy to repair and when you get disconnected, it disappears.

And what if someone builds his camp exactly where you put it?
    Theoretically it is possible but considers that the world is really huge. Now I'll explain something. Imagine that as soon as you leave the vault you want to build your camp in the immediate vicinity. Keep in mind that the construction and assembly module is mobile so you are continuing to play Fallout and you realize that at a certain distance there is a beautiful hill overlooking a valley with a splendid view and then you want to build there the your camp. And in a moment you can move it. If for some reason someone builds above your position, you can move your shelter somewhere else, or you can start damaging that camp until you persuade the other player to move. It depends entirely on you. But it's really rare, very rare, for two people to build at the same spot.

Will there be fast travel?
    Yes.

And what about vehicles or mounts?
    No. It's exactly like Fallout.

How does the quest management system work? Can we expect non-player characters that offer main and secondary missions?
    There are no non-player characters but only other players. There are robots, terminals, holotape. And there are events that appear periodically and can be joined by all the players. There are radio stations. These are all things you've already seen in previous Fallouts but for us the most interesting part is this replacement of NPCs with other players. It's a much more interesting dynamic in this game.

So will the other players assign you missions?
    Not exactly.

Can not you be more specific?
    Not now, we'll talk about it later.

Will there be the day / night cycle? And the weather will be variable?
    Yes.

But will everything be synchronized at the server level? Will all players experience the same conditions at the same time?
    On the server where you are, yes, but we have not decided yet if everything will be synchronized. Probably not because there are benefits to not having the whole map in sync.

I have read that it will be possible to sell equipment and items created to other players. How? Can I choose to be a merchant?
    Absolutely! This is our hope. Build your camp, collect resources, collect weapons and then you can place your robot to sell all the stuff until you choose to play a role in the role of a merchant.

But does this also apply to the materials and ingredients of crafting? For all the resources?
    Yes, you can sell anything except some quest items. Whatever you can produce or collect in the world, you can sell it to other players.

Can you tell me something more about the beta? I know you can not talk about the release date but what kind of content can we expect?
    I think it will be released in several stages and our hope is that the main beta is the full game.

Ah, so who plays it can bring his own character? There will be no classic pre-release cancellation of the game?
    We do not know yet. We do not want to reset the servers but we'll see. Our hope is that it is the complete game.