Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

qkkl posted:

The UK has 227 main battle tanks. There are 48,317 cities, towns and villages in the UK. There no way the UK military at this time could deal with a massive insurrection where every non-military citizen revolted.

They could launch a successful blockade of the ports, since Britain is wildly non-selfsufficient, and spend their sweet time weeping out from those areas.also most of those villages are straight up villages lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think the ratio of tanks to towns is actually worse for the us. I just checked and America only has something like 1400 or so active tanks (lots more inactive but so what, they need crews) and Britain has the land area of, like, one or two relatively small U.S states.

The US has a lot of tanks in inventory (because we can't stop producing them thanks to Congress) and National Guard depots have inventories of things that technically wouldn't be considered 'tanks' but fit the bill of 'able to crush insurrections with'.

I mean, poo poo, there's a place literally 5 minutes from me where you can rent a SPG/APC to crush cars with for $300

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Party Plane Jones posted:

The US has a lot of tanks in inventory (because we can't stop producing them thanks to Congress) and National Guard depots have inventories of things that technically wouldn't be considered 'tanks' but fit the bill of 'able to crush insurrections with'.

I mean, poo poo, there's a place literally 5 minutes from me where you can rent a SPG/APC to crush cars with for $300

Yeah, but they need crews. Infinite physical tanks doesn't really mean anything if you don't have infinite trained crews to match, and the us military doesn't.

Dumb argument anyway because infantry suppresses rebellions not so much massed armor. Armor can't navigate us streets without doing catastrophic damage to said streets. Move a tank column through modern Atlanta and you're functionally a new Sherman because you've destroyed the infrastructure that lets the city function.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer
Yeah but what about the infinite black helicopters Big Government would suppress Freedom Loving Americans with if it wasn't for our cult 45s and automatic rifle 15s?

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
You forget our police are armed like they too want to go out and fight a warm. Tanks but no tanks!

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Zanzibar Ham posted:

Yeah but what about the infinite black helicopters Big Government would suppress Freedom Loving Americans with if it wasn't for our cult 45s and automatic rifle 15s?

lt stooge mckillovich sighed and drew his semiautomatic government issue gluck

“how do you like 19 rounds of freedom”, he yelled as he shot a sovereign citizen

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments
I hope this is just trolling because I don’t know how else someone can take the “all military vs all civilians” concept seriously.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

archangelwar posted:

I hope this is just trolling because I don’t know how else someone can take the “all military vs all civilians” concept seriously.

service guarantees citizenship

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

Guns are first and foremost a disease of the mind

Y’all’s media is so saturated with guns everywhere, and violence (ie guns) used as a way to solve any problem, that your solution to the proliferation of guns is... wait for it... more guns

In fact I blame American gun culture for the increased militarization of our police, just because your hideous culture of guns and fear has been seeping into our collective unconscious

gently caress you very much, Americans

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
But didn't you hear?? That one guy who thinks trump has some great ideas totally foiled a robbery once with his tactical operator pistol. So clearly we need to let him buy 90,000 more guns.

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
It would take like one APC to crush the 2nd ammendment rebellion because none of them are actually going to resist anything and if they got their guns and went out to fight it would be to join the military in shooting minorities.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

you really should go away for life if it's your gun and this happens.

Two-Year-Old in California Dies From Self-Inflicted Gunshot Wound

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/07/two-year-old-in-fresno-california-dies-from-self-inflicted-gunshot-wound.html

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Groovelord Neato posted:

you really should go away for life if it's your gun and this happens.

Two-Year-Old in California Dies From Self-Inflicted Gunshot Wound

https://slate.com/news-and-politics/2018/07/two-year-old-in-fresno-california-dies-from-self-inflicted-gunshot-wound.html

Agreed. They really need tougher storage laws. Canada doesn't have nearly the amount of accidental firearms deaths (per capita) as USA.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Laws concerning safe storage are incompatible with the narrative that you need to be able to defend yourself with a gun, because a gun that is safely stored cannot be accessed in time should you encounter a situation where you need to use that gun to defend yourself.

As soon as gun people concede safe storage, the game is up, because they've at that point admitted that their action hero fantasies are just bullshit.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

suck my woke dick posted:

service guarantees citizenship

Not in America! We deport those who serve too!

KingFisher
Oct 30, 2006
WORST EDITOR in the history of my expansion school's student paper. Then I married a BEER HEIRESS and now I shitpost SA by white-knighting the status quo to defend my unearned life of privilege.
Fun Shoe

PT6A posted:

Laws concerning safe storage are incompatible with the narrative that you need to be able to defend yourself with a gun, because a gun that is safely stored cannot be accessed in time should you encounter a situation where you need to use that gun to defend yourself.

As soon as gun people concede safe storage, the game is up, because they've at that point admitted that their action hero fantasies are just bullshit.

Agreed I keep my revolver in my nightstand ready to go. If I had to unlock a case it would defeat the purpose on having it at bed side.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

PT6A posted:

I don't think that is necessarily true. Someone paranoid or living in a high break in area could easily store a pistol beside in a electric lockbox that takes all of 1 second to open.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

Yeah my dad bought an under-the-bed safe that opens with a touch combo for when he finally gets a chance to live out his suburban action hero fantasies

Canned Sunshine
Nov 20, 2005

CAUTION: POST QUALITY UNDER CONSTRUCTION

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Move a tank column through modern Atlanta and you're functionally a new Sherman because you've destroyed the infrastructure that lets the city function.

Eh, not necessarily. A lot of roadway design now involves around HS-20 loading, so even in center centers, when roads are replaced, what is installed should be capable of short-term HS-20 loading (i.e. 32,000 lbs/axle, which equates to a point load of 16,000 lbs per wheel). By comparison, an M1 Abrams has a point load of about 10,300 lbs per track wheel.

This is why construction companies can bring in mobile cranes to city centers for various work - long term, they'll put down load spreading plates, especially when the crane outriggers are deployed, but for short-term circumstances, the roadway is generally fine.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.

SourKraut posted:

Eh, not necessarily. A lot of roadway design now involves around HS-20 loading, so even in center centers, when roads are replaced, what is installed should be capable of short-term HS-20 loading (i.e. 32,000 lbs/axle, which equates to a point load of 16,000 lbs per wheel). By comparison, an M1 Abrams has a point load of about 10,300 lbs per track wheel.

This is why construction companies can bring in mobile cranes to city centers for various work - long term, they'll put down load spreading plates, especially when the crane outriggers are deployed, but for short-term circumstances, the roadway is generally fine.

It's not the weight of the tank that ruins roads. It's the tracks tearing them up as they drive along.

vincentpricesboner
Sep 3, 2006

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Stretch Marx posted:

It's not the weight of the tank that ruins roads. It's the tracks tearing them up as they drive along.

I thought the real issue was all the cans of redbull, packs of darts and the tins of cope that are left behind.

archangelwar
Oct 28, 2004

Teaching Moments

zapplez posted:

I don't think that is necessarily true. Someone paranoid or living in a high break in area could easily store a pistol beside in a electric lockbox that takes all of 1 second to open.

You are aware that safe storage laws generally require gun to be stored completely empty and ammo to be stored separately in another safe location, correct? Loaded gun sitting in a box accessible within a second is not considered safe storage.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

archangelwar posted:

You are aware that safe storage laws generally require gun to be stored completely empty and ammo to be stored separately in another safe location, correct? Loaded gun sitting in a box accessible within a second is not considered safe storage.

Vastly dependent on the state.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

archangelwar posted:

Yeah but while brandishing an empty gun to deter a "home invader" is extremely stupid, it is still miles better than shooting a loaded gun at a "home invader" to deter them

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

guy who never experienced a home break in with kids in the house: "Heh no man it's cool come on in and do whatever. Oh those screams yeah that's my wife and kids just ignore them heh. Naw bro I'm chill I totally "get" your situation. Lay down on the floor while you duct tape my arms and legs? No prob I'm cool. I mean I guess you can go upstairs to where my family is panicking and calling 911 with that knife did I mention how chill I am?"

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

banned from Starbucks posted:

guy who never experienced a home break in with kids in the house: "Heh no man it's cool come on in and do whatever. Oh those screams yeah that's my wife and kids just ignore them heh. Naw bro I'm chill I totally "get" your situation. Lay down on the floor while you duct tape my arms and legs? No prob I'm cool. I mean I guess you can go upstairs to where my family is panicking and calling 911 with that knife did I mention how chill I am?"

You're one of those believes in "a good guy with a gun"?

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Is that how you reacted when you experienced a home break in with kids in the house?

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
I agree that rare edge cases are what should determine our laws, as opposed to what would reduce the total murder rate.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Wait so in your weird home protection fantasy even the dude invading your home doesn't have a gun? So you could just taze them or maybe even just block a bedroom door?

lol

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

yeah ok thanks for your contribution oscar pistorius

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I was really expecting more from a guy with the username "banned from Starbucks."

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Statistically you're much more likely to plug one of the kids when they're up late to go get a glass of water and they make a noise.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

gunfucker jerkoff fantasies are weird

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

guy who thinks his masturbatory fantasies will play out that way irl: "yo i got this gun....wait sorry it's upstairs....could you stop jacking my possessions so i can find my gun and load it? what's that? you're already gone? poo poo, another chance to be a hero lost"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Elizabethan Error posted:

guy who thinks his masturbatory fantasies will play out that way irl: "yo i got this gun....wait sorry it's upstairs....could you stop jacking my possessions so i can find my gun and load it? what's that? you're already gone? poo poo, another chance to be a hero lost"

"Oh, what's that? You stole my loaded gun and are going to shoot me with it now?"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

That's why you keep it loaded under your pillow so as soon as you hear a bump in the night you can be a superhero and totally waste that robber/motorist looking for help/your kid sneaking back in/significant other/etc

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

“oops i murdered my kids cause i thought they were a burglar” ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Jaxyon
Mar 7, 2016
I’m just saying I would like to see a man beat a woman in a cage. Just to be sure.
Nothing is more important to me than the safety of my kids, other than having loaded guns in the house, which is more important to me than the safety of my kids.

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

D&d goons can't possibly envision a scenario in which they aren't completely incompetent or their kids massively stupid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

D&d goons can't possibly envision a scenario in which they aren't completely incompetent or their kids massively stupid.
It's called "living in reality" where guns are rarely used for self-defense in home invasion scenarios. but please, continue with your fantasies. they're really entertaining.

link

• Locked thread