Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Kanish posted:

For a second I though June going through closets and looking for the mans wardrobe meant that she was gonna try and dress like a man to drive around (which I guess would only work if people spotted her in the car from a distance); but then it was clear she was just cold.
The whole time I was thinking "check for men's clothes you idiot". Same with the last escape attempt. Disguise yourself as a man. Especially when it's winter because you can wear a bunch of heavy clothes due to the cold to disguise yourself even more.

Kanish posted:

This also doesnt take into account that a RWD sports car would get absolutely nowhere in 2 feet of snow.
I was also surprised that it even started. How long had it just been sitting there unused?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rappaport
Oct 2, 2013

Loomer posted:

The whole ‘you raped her yesterday!’ ‘That was your idea!’ thing felt like surreal sketch comedy.

I agree, but at the same time I also felt like it underlined really nicely just how hosed up the Waterford lives have become. Tying into the 'Serena feeling dissatisfied with her role in Gilead' - storyline type thing. Also now that I think about it, it was a weird mirror to Serena's hospital bed "be a man" - quip.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I liked the whole scene when they dropped the Gilead lingo for a second. Instead of "Well she might have been angry about our speeding up of the birthing process via god's law..." it was just "you raped her yesterday." "It was your idea"

Deep down they know they are horrible people even if they drank the Koolaid super hard.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Even though the show isn't doing a great job of showing it, that's the issue with Nick's wife - she was raised in Kool-Aid. Kool-Aid is all she knows. If Nick were to say "I'm uncomfortable banging you because you're a literal child" she would 100% not understand.

The fact that he's an Eye and a pretty trusted one does make one wonder if it would even matter if she turned him in for it, but the point stands.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

resting mitch face posted:

On a somewhat related note, I had a hankering to watch Gypsy the other night. The one on prime (and netflix I think) is the one with Bette Midler that was done in the early 90s. Soon as the movie started I was like wait, that kid looks like Elizabeth Moss.

And yes, it very much is Elizabeth Moss as young Louise.

lmao yep

Also poo poo now I need to watch Gypsy this weekend

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

precision posted:

The fact that he's an Eye and a pretty trusted one does make one wonder if it would even matter if she turned him in for it, but the point stands.

The commander he reported to got blown up though, we don't know if his new superior has the same level of trust for him. We don't know what he actually did to earn that trust either. You'd assume it would be something pretty awful, which seems out of character as he seems to be a fundamentally decent enough guy who knows Gilead is hosed up.

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done

Wafflecopper posted:

The commander he reported to got blown up though, we don't know if his new superior has the same level of trust for him. We don't know what he actually did to earn that trust either.

Commander Price was Nick's job placement counselor pre-Gilead. He recruited him to sons of Jacob. (Season 1 episode 8, beginning of episode)

E: this is also the episode they come up with the idea of handmaids :rolleyes:

cocoavalley fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Jun 30, 2018

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

Yeah I remember the recruitment scene, but getting a job isn't quite the same as having the level of trust to be able to rock up to your boss and get reassigned and get protection for your low-caste lover no questions asked

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009
Why is Eden dressed like a Martha? She obviously outranks Rita as a married woman. I get that she is a lower level married woman, but even so, she should not be confused with a Martha. Would make more sense to dress her in a very pale green, a sort of "Wife in training" that would get darker if Nick got his own house or something?

Sweetwater Kill
Jun 7, 2006

La vierge Marie vous regarde.

BattyKiara posted:

Why is Eden dressed like a Martha? She obviously outranks Rita as a married woman. I get that she is a lower level married woman, but even so, she should not be confused with a Martha. Would make more sense to dress her in a very pale green, a sort of "Wife in training" that would get darker if Nick got his own house or something?

She's an Econowife like the Econopeople who helped hide Offred, so her clothing is kind of a combination of Wife and Martha.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

BattyKiara posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can only enter the Wife caste if you are married to a commander. Else you are an Econowife, which is a lower caste. Econowives are their own Marthas.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

On a somewhat related note, I had a hankering to watch Gypsy the other night. The one on prime (and netflix I think) is the one with Bette Midler that was done in the early 90s. Soon as the movie started I was like wait, that kid looks like Elizabeth Moss.

She was also in Picket Fences around the same time/age as a precarious child always getting into trouble.

Unzip and Attack
Mar 3, 2008

USPOL May

Wafflecopper posted:

The commander he reported to got blown up though, we don't know if his new superior has the same level of trust for him. We don't know what he actually did to earn that trust either. You'd assume it would be something pretty awful, which seems out of character as he seems to be a fundamentally decent enough guy who knows Gilead is hosed up.

If memory serves, there was a flashback in Season 1 where Nick is first recruited into the movement by the same Commander way before any of the poo poo started. It could be that Nick being such an early recruit is the sole basis for the commander's loyalty to him.

Edit: beaten like Serena

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Girl on the right looks like a tiny Bette Midler

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

clown shoes posted:

She was also in Picket Fences around the same time/age as a precarious child always getting into trouble.

HOLY poo poo

I loved that show and even rewatched season 1 recently and never noticed.

clown shoes
Jul 17, 2004

Nothing but clowns down here.

precision posted:

HOLY poo poo

I loved that show and even rewatched season 1 recently and never noticed.

I've been rewatching the series and noticed her in an episode where her mother made her put a shoe in her mouth. She's in a good portion of seasons one and two.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
Ill always hate Josh Lyman but goddammit I love me some BWhit

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Show sucks gently caress this show

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
eden and isaac officially more hardcore than june and nick

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

i heard some leaks the other day and i hope they're true bc lol

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

esperterra posted:

i heard some leaks the other day and i hope they're true bc lol

just post them this show bloooooooows I want some good news

datajugend
Jan 15, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
man i wish that baby would have been born at the beginning of this season so stuff could happen, i wanna see the fall of gilead before season 8 please.

the gilmore girls woman coming to a new "weird" house is the most interesting thing that has happened in this season and its episode 12.
well eden actually turning out to be good and hardcore was the second best thing and it surprised me in a good way.

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

lol nice one June

"Yeah you go girl, have an affair, love will prevail. I'm sure Gilead won't mind."

cocoavalley
Dec 28, 2010

Well son, a funny thing about regret is that it's better to regret something you have done than to regret something you haven't done
I like how it took seeing a girl drown for Serena to realize June's baby wasn't just a doll for her to play Mommy with.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

datajugend posted:

the gilmore girls woman coming to a new "weird" house is the most interesting thing that has happened in this season and its episode 12.

Seriously why didn't this happen at least 6 episodes ago?

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
Lol at Aunt Lydia's wtf face at Emily's new commander's art collection

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts

datajugend posted:

man i wish that baby would have been born at the beginning of this season so stuff could happen, i wanna see the fall of gilead before season 8 please.

well eden actually turning out to be good and hardcore was the second best thing and it surprised me in a good way.

I can't believe they dragged out the Emily storyline for 12 loving episodes before she ended up in an actually interesting setting. They should have cut out the first escape attempt, had a couple of episodes of June super pregnant at the beginning of the season, and then had the meeting with her daughter happen in episode 3 or so. That way they could draw out her escape attempt and actually build up some tension, with an interesting contrast in Emily's situation playing out in parallel.

How did they take 12 hours of TV and somehow make only half of it interesting or memorable?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Reminds me of a zany sitcom where wild stuff that happens always neatly resolves itself by the end so any episode could come next.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

withak posted:

Reminds me of a zany sitcom where wild stuff that happens always neatly resolves itself by the end so any episode could come next.

Exactly, if the show keeps doing the “June escapes but gets recaptured lol back at the Waterford’s” every 4 or 5 episodes I think I’m done with the show. Elizabeth Moss is great but if everything just resets constantly then there aren’t any stakes. You can only spin your wheels so long before people just tune out.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Lots of folks are behaving in ways that don't make too much sense on this show. Or at least that are inconsistent with their near previous behavior.

CelestialScribe
Jan 16, 2008
Really enjoying long shots of people's faces while they take 30 seconds to respond to someone's question.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Looking forward to the Harlem Globetrotters Episode.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Owlbear Camus posted:

Looking forward to the Harlem Globetrotters Episode.

Nick thinks he can make the team, but he won't get very far without June's help!

*flashback to June's college basketball day*

*training montage set to "You're the best around"*

Nairbo
Jan 2, 2005
What a stupid loving ending to a mediocre season

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Godinster posted:

What a stupid loving ending to a mediocre season

Finale is next week here's the trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fm7UvvUZZTo

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I like this season just fine, but it is very different from the book and season 1 and I can see why some people are put off by it.

remigious
May 13, 2009

Destruction comes inevitably :rip:

Hell Gem
The look on the baby’s face when Serena put her tiddie in her mouth was priceless!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I didn't hate this season, but I've been increasingly less motivated to watch each new episode. It's gonna take a hell of a finale for me to get excited for season 3 in any way. I feel like there is a pretty high chance of me tapping out after this one is over.

remigious posted:

The look on the baby’s face when Serena put her tiddie in her mouth was priceless!

Yeah that was great.

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

Did June roll her eyes when Eden started reciting that I Corinthians poem? It looked like that to me. I burst out laughing. As horrifying as that all was, they did nail the "dumb teenager in true wuv" thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Bug Hug
Nov 19, 2002
I'm with stupid*

cocoavalley posted:

I like how it took seeing a girl drown for Serena to realize June's baby wasn't just a doll for her to play Mommy with.

"Hey, uhh... are we the baddies?"

Big Bug Hug fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Jul 5, 2018

• Locked thread