Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Experience Bijou!

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Tunicate posted:

phlox is it.
:wrong:

WampaLord posted:

Pulaski.

Come at me, haters.

The correct answer is Bashir. Without Garak, Jadzia, or O'Brien to bounce off of he's incredibly boring. Honorable mention to Crusher since the writers never knew what to do with her.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

I don't know how anyone can think that the doctor from Discovery was anything less than the second most boring main character in all of Star Trek.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I don't know how anyone can think that the doctor from Discovery was anything less than the second most boring main character in all of Star Trek.

I don't even count him since he was barely in any of the episodes before being fridged for no reason.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

The correct answer is Bashir. Without Garak, Jadzia, or O'Brien to bounce off of he's incredibly boring.

To be fair, McCoy was incredibly boring without Spock and to a lesser extent Kirk to bounce off of. About his only character trait beyond that was that he likes to drink.

I see Quark and Odo on DS9 the same way, very weak characters on their own with great chemistry and interesting relationships with most of the rest of the cast.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Cythereal posted:

To be fair, McCoy was incredibly boring without Spock to bounce off of. About his only character trait beyond that was that he likes to drink.

Also, clearly McCoy likes to gently caress.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
McCoy is an awesome character, whatever. He’s crotchety ole boy who doesn’t trust any of the magical future tech or pointy eared green devils, and isn’t afraid to say so. He likes dames and booze but his life is full of regrets. Basically a country music song protagonist in space. He wasn’t even in the pitch and Kelley made him the most important of the supporting chars in like, half a dozen episodes and played him into a lead role within a season. I have no idea how anyone finds him boring.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.
I can kind of understand why someone would view McCoy as being a bit dry since he’s the TOS audience insert. He has more charisma and personality than anyone else on the show though, so I’m not sure how the hell anyone would find him boring.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I can kind of understand why someone would view McCoy as being a bit dry since he’s the TOS audience insert. He has more charisma and personality than anyone else on the show though, so I’m not sure how the hell anyone would find him boring.

I only find him boring in isolation, he has great chemistry with the other cast.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Pulaski was just McCoy written as a woman most of the time.

I still have to rank Phlox lower, considering he participated in genocide.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

WampaLord posted:

That one doctor whose research ended up saving Worf from a life of being a vegetable, but she discovered it unethically or something so she's the bad guy.

The "or something" was that she was testing drugs/procedures on people without their knowledge or consent and got caught letting someone die earlier in the episode to further her research.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Cat Hatter posted:

The "or something" was that she was testing drugs/procedures on people without their knowledge or consent and got caught letting someone die earlier in the episode to further her research.

Look she may not play by the book but she gets results, god drat IT!

*slams hand onto police chief's desk*

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Drink-Mix Man posted:

"Federation" I think. There's a bit where the Warbird cloaks as they ram them and the bridge crew sees the cloaking effect ripple across their bodies.

Nah that's a bit earlier. There are two warbirds, one's manned by only a few people and defecting, and the Enterprise flies in between the defecting one's double hulls and it cloaks them both.

It fucks up the Enterprise's warp core and they have to shut it down, and they're about to be detected, and without the warp core they'll be hosed in battle, so they supercharge the structural integrity field and shoot out at full impulse and ram the other warbird before it has a chance to react. The Enterprise only survives because their core is turned off.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

mycomancy posted:

"He had the hands of a surgeon" -Dax

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

skasion posted:

McCoy is an awesome character, whatever. He’s crotchety ole boy who doesn’t trust any of the magical future tech or pointy eared green devils, and isn’t afraid to say so.

Which doesn't make sense to me unless he lived in a luddite community until he went to Ole Miss (so more of the same*), and then onto Starfleet Academy where he was suddenly surrounded by tech and aliens.

* Hi, I went to LSU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Worst doctor is Voyager's, fucker died in the first episode

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

Didn't even try healing himself.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

The_Doctor posted:

Physician, heal thyself.

No, seriously, heal thyself, you have a cerebral hemorrhage and multiple thoracic contusions.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Cythereal posted:

To be fair, McCoy was incredibly boring without Spock and to a lesser extent Kirk to bounce off of. About his only character trait beyond that was that he likes to drink.

I see Quark and Odo on DS9 the same way, very weak characters on their own with great chemistry and interesting relationships with most of the rest of the cast.

How often are any of these characters on their own, though? I don't know how you can judge them by the 10% they're "boring" and ignore the 90% where you admit they have great chemistry and relationships.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

The_Doctor posted:

Which doesn't make sense to me unless he lived in a luddite community until he went to Ole Miss (so more of the same*), and then onto Starfleet Academy where he was suddenly surrounded by tech and aliens.

* Hi, I went to LSU

His parents probably just didnt have a tv

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

A.I. Borgland Corp posted:

I always feel a little bad for characters written expressly to be killed off.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
Worst doctor is the Dr Mengele Cardassian Nazi that was made by Voyagecrew.

Second is the evil EMH on BADASS MORALLY BANKRUPT VOYAGER, tied with the morally compromised Voyager EMH who biorapes Seven and wires her brain to sing as he does so.

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

FilthyImp posted:

Worst doctor is the Dr Mengele Cardassian Nazi that was made by Voyagecrew.

Second is the evil EMH on BADASS MORALLY BANKRUPT VOYAGER, tied with the morally compromised Voyager EMH who biorapes Seven and wires her brain to sing as he does so.

My favorite part of that episode was Torres being willing to die to spite a hologram.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

mycomancy posted:

Man, I bet Nick Offerman could do a great job as McCoy.

poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008

The_Doctor posted:

“Have you tried healing yourself?”

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

BrandonGK posted:

My favorite part of that episode was Torres being willing to die to spite a hologram.

Torres was completely unlikable, she was too lovely to everyone all the time so even when you are meant to empathize with her you can't because she was a jerk to everyone about everything

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

From the graphic novel adaptation of Harlan Ellison's original screenplay for The City On the Edge of Forever.

I rather liked this story much more than what we got, although I agree that this would have required at least a two parter and would have reduced the rest of the season to clip shows for all the special effects that would have been needed.

Also, Roddenberry would have never let it film as is.. DRUG DEALERS ON *MY* ENTERPRISE? WELL I NEVER

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Crusher is good in episodes where she's a space detective (all two or three of them) and really bad in every episode where she's doctor mom, which is the rest

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Cythereal posted:

It gets dumber because that supposition is how Kirk is able to infiltrate the Borg homeworld and destroy the Collective. The book's logic goes like this:

* V'Ger was a Borg

* Spock mind-melded with V'Ger

* Spock's mind was assimilated by the Borg in the process and he spent the rest of his life as an unwitting Borg spy

* Spock subsequently mind-melded with Kirk

* Kirk's mind is not actually assimilated but the Borg think he's become one of them and Kirk can tap the Borg's collective unconscious to find the location of their homeworld and the off switch to the Collective, then walk freely among the Borg on their homeworld to reach the off switch and destroy them all

I don't think that's how it happened, though. I think you're sort of misremembering separate parts and blending them together into a Kirk-centric whole.

Which is a great way to describe the Shatnerverse novels, come to think of it.

Drashin
Feb 26, 2013
So I have been thinking about subscribing to CBS all access to watch Discovery and I was wondering what the general feeling of the show is? I haven't really heard much about the reception and I liked what I saw in the first episode that aired on TV but I was wondering if it was worth a subscription. Please try to refrain from spoiling me.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Drashin posted:

So I have been thinking about subscribing to CBS all access to watch Discovery and I was wondering what the general feeling of the show is? I haven't really heard much about the reception and I liked what I saw in the first episode that aired on TV but I was wondering if it was worth a subscription. Please try to refrain from spoiling me.

If you can get a 7 day free trial through Amazon Prime I'd recommend that for sure, otherwise I thought it was worth 9.99 to binge through and then cancel my sub. I wish it was a little more recognizably Trek (not sure wtf is going on with the uniforms given we are only supposed to be ten years off from Kirk and Co.)

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire

Drashin posted:

It's worth watching once just to see how ridic it is and how it kind of shits on the rest of Star Trek.

I dunno, the Greatest Gen guys kinda suck the dick of the show. I don't get it. I think it is highly polished but completely mediocre writing.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Drashin posted:

I found it un-fun to watch in the sense that almost everyone's an unrepentant rear end in a top hat, Hard Men Making Hard Choices. There are a few characters I really enjoyed, but the show revolves around Michael and her struggles, and I feel she's one of the biggest assholes on the ship - and more importantly that no one seemed to recognize Michael as an rear end. I also found the show hard to reconcile with the rest of Trek, given that it's supposed to be just ten years before TOS nothing looks or feels like it belongs in that era. Starfleet is super military, the Klingons are a mix of ISIS and North Korea and look nothing at all like they do anywhere else in Trek, the Discovery looks and feels ridiculously advanced, stuff like that.

My biggest issues with the show are the tone, and season one ends with the promise that the dark times are over and things will be better. We'll see. I have no confidence in the show, it seems too much in love with being a modern "prestige" drama that just happens to have the Trek name slapped onto it.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer

Drashin posted:

I strongly feel that it's not worth spending money to check out, I only saw it because it was on broadcast TV here in Canada. If the show improves enough to be worthwhile over the next season I'm sure you'll hear the buzz pick up.

Winifred Madgers
Feb 12, 2002

Drashin posted:

There isn't really a general feeling, as people's reactions seem all over the place; I personally thought it ranged from "meh" to "not worth it" and I gave up after 3 episodes. Some love it, some hate it, some are on the fence or cautiously optimistic. If you liked the first episode you might as well give it a shot, especially if you can get a free month.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
They say the gently caress word and there are naked titties and repeated flashbacks to a fairly graphic rape scene.

You know,

Star Trek

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

The Bloop posted:

They say the gently caress word and there are naked titties and repeated flashbacks to a fairly graphic rape scene.

You know,

Star Trek

And a brief scene of a Klingon pissing against a wall in a back alley.

And cannibalism.

And magic mushrooms that can destroy all life in every universe ever.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cythereal posted:

To be fair that sounds fairly Star Trek.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

Cythereal posted:

Okay I know you are trying to poo-poo but this is extremely loving Trek