Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums

Pierzak posted:

is this bait

I don't think so but the minority report / shocking story would be if he DID enjoy it given the background imo :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

quote:

The format of the game, which is common among all of Alea’s “big box” games is similar to the Avalon Hill bookshelf games and there is a similar appeal to sophistication and a sense that the game is not one to be shelved along with your other board games, but rather to be put on a bookshelf alongside the works of Shakespeare, Plato, and Dante.
Splotter does this and it owns.

Mister Sinewave posted:

Gloomhaven is also 90-95% fantasy SWAT Team and like 5-10% RPG so that's another reason someone might legit bounce off of it if they think they're in it for the swordelf sim angle.
The funny thing is that it's actually BETTER for the imagined grognard swordelf sim angle that exists in many grognard minds, but it isn't D&D approved hostile-DM style.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

My character in Gloomhaven ate so many pies in a pie-eating contest that he lost character progression from the stomach ache, to the raucous cheers of the rest of the group when we got the prize money and rep boost. So I'm pretty into it.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

I'm excited for the potential of a Gloomhaven-inspired video game. But since it took five years to go from 4th edition D&D to a 4E-inspired video game (new XCOM), I doubt it will appear anytime soon.

EDIT: I mean video game. A board game inspired board game is just Inception.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jul 2, 2018

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

golden bubble posted:

I'm excited for the potential of a Gloomhaven-inspired board game. But since it took five years to go from 4th edition D&D to a 4E-inspired video game (new XCOM), I doubt it will appear anytime soon.

You mean aside from Founders of Gloomhaven?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
I assume they mean mechanically inspired

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

golden bubble posted:

I'm excited for the potential of a Gloomhaven-inspired video game. But since it took five years to go from 4th edition D&D to a 4E-inspired video game (new XCOM), I doubt it will appear anytime soon.

Gloomhaven inspired videogame is literally Vermintide. The only thing it really needs is to add events that happen between the scenario and your home base.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Lorini posted:

$400 for a game topper???

:cmon:

I'm very happy with my $10 dining room table cloth, works great.

As far as luxury items go, that company's table toppers are good work. In a hobby where people happily drop $10,000 and more on a custom piece of furniture they would be hesitant to use for anything other than its intended purpose (I refuse to believe anyone uses those things to eat off of), the table topper is practically indestructible, easy to maintain, and breaks into two pieces for portability in any hatchback or medium-sized sedan.

I have to give that company props for their business chops. Nearly every booth at Origins rented one of the toppers and walking through the dealer hall felt like everyone had a Geek Chic even though this thing is resting on a Costco card table. And every one of those drat things sold by the end of the con.

golden bubble posted:

On the other end, Gloomhaven took ideas from Desktop Dungeons, Darkest Dungeon, and Grimrock. And while I don't know if Childress has played it, I'm positive he's played Card Hunter because the combat mechanisms are very closely related.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.
For anyone interested in the beautiful beast that is Feudum, it's on sale today (like another 8 hours from this post) on Miniature Market for $45. Lots has been said about it in the thread before, but short version is it's got a lot of really clever & complex economic systems and actions, with some fiddliness, and some graphic design issues. With checking out at that price if you enjoy heavier stuff.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
One of my Gloomhaven group is convinced Isaac took a lot of inspiration from WoW, as he's said that a lot of the classes map 1 to 1 with WoW classes.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Merauder posted:

Feudum,short version is it's got a lot of really clever & complex economic systems and actions, with some fiddliness, and some graphic design issues. With checking out at that price if you enjoy heavier stuff.

I haven't heard anyone say it's worth all that effort though. A lot of people agree it's got some clever systems like the guilds but that in the end it's just woefully overcooked and needed a few rounds of development.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

I would only play Feudum at 4. Any less and the guild system just stops working and that's the heart of the game right there.

Merauder
Apr 17, 2003

The North Remembers.

Bottom Liner posted:

I haven't heard anyone say it's worth all that effort though. A lot of people agree it's got some clever systems like the guilds but that in the end it's just woefully overcooked and needed a few rounds of development.

I've only had a chance to play it once but we all enjoyed it, despite agreeing that it could have probably benefited from a little more development. It's on our list to play again soon, before we all forget how to play it. :v:

nomadotto
Oct 25, 2010

Body of a Penguin
Soul of a Hero
Mind of a Lazy, Easily Distracted, Waste of Space

pospysyl posted:

Finally got Sidereal Confluence to the table! At eight players, it was not the ideal introductory game, but it went well regardless. Incredibly, despite everyone picking out races based only on the art and fluff (which everyone was a huge fan of), only two people seriously bounced off of their splats. Set up was a bear and people were intimidated by the initial rules explanation, but once we got going everyone got super into it. My group ranges from serious boardgamers to Catan fans to Parker Brothers players, but when it came to scoring everyone was within shooting distance of each other. Everyone ended up feeling like despite the cluttered presentation, it's not as complicated as it seems. On a basic surface level, there are two goals on any given turn: getting the cubes to run the converters you want and getting enough cubes to invent the technologies that will give you lots of victory points. As long as you're doing that, you'll score fairly well relative to everyone else. Beyond that, I think everyone felt that there was plenty of room to grow in skill, which I think is exactly what you're looking for in a board game.

Glad you were able to get it to go with such a broad group. I agree that it's super hard to get set up and explained, but it's such a great game, plays very simply in practice and the skill ceiling is so high that I'm always happy to get it to the table.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

Some Numbers posted:

One of my Gloomhaven group is convinced Isaac took a lot of inspiration from WoW, as he's said that a lot of the classes map 1 to 1 with WoW classes.

I'd like to hear their opinion on 4ed DnD.

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy
and you see wow is literally evil so anything that resembles it is bad, fedoras or something

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Fellis posted:

It was more that you dropped your opinion with no quote or context to the rest of the page,

OK I hosed up. I shouldn't have Kramered into the thread with that hottest of takes without context.

So, if you give a poo poo, here's context. I hadn't looked at this thread for ages, so I read 1200 posts in one go. There were a shitzillion pages of uninterrupted Gloomhaven praise and as far as I could tell, no criticism. Almost anyone who wandered in and asked "what game should I play?" was responded to with Gloomhaven. In my mind it made perfect sense for me to come in with a contrary opinion with the mentioned caveats as to why I didn't like the game. I even said:

Oldstench posted:

So, if you're the other person like me in this hobby, don't buy Gloomhaven.

Meaning: if you don't like these particular elements in games either, don't go for Gloomhaven.

So, yeah, sorry about the contextless threadshitting.

Bottom Liner posted:

"you cocksuckers

no offense"

:shucks:

KPC_Mammon posted:

So people who like Gloomhaven are cocksuckers, no offense meant?

Okay.

But gently caress this. That's not what I said or even intimated and you know it.

Stan Taylor
Oct 13, 2013

Touched Fuzzy, Got Dizzy
Holy moly remind me never to say Gloomhaven isn't great.

OmegaGoo
Nov 25, 2011

Mediocrity: the standard of survival!

Oldstench posted:

But gently caress this. That's not what I said or even intimated and you know it.

Oldstench posted:

I'm just offering a counterpoint to the constant knob-slurping this thread gives the game.

e: No offense to all y'all who love the game. Keep on keeping on.

:shrug:

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Oldstench posted:

OK I hosed up. I shouldn't have Kramered into the thread with that hottest of takes without context.

So, if you give a poo poo, here's context. I hadn't looked at this thread for ages, so I read 1200 posts in one go. There were a shitzillion pages of uninterrupted Gloomhaven praise and as far as I could tell, no criticism. Almost anyone who wandered in and asked "what game should I play?" was responded to with Gloomhaven. In my mind it made perfect sense for me to come in with a contrary opinion with the mentioned caveats as to why I didn't like the game. I even said:

Meaning: if you don't like these particular elements in games either, don't go for Gloomhaven.

So, yeah, sorry about the contextless threadshitting.

You're getting poo poo because your opinion isn't actually backed by anything except personal preference. It's just another "fun" argument, that a bad game can be enjoyable but that doesn't change the fact that it's a bad game.

There have certainly been criticisms of Gloomhaven, usually targeting how much work you have to do behind the scenes to make it run smoothly, but the game's praise is well deserved. It's the best of its genre to the point that when people come in this thread saying "I want a 1-4 player fantasy dungeon crawler" the best answer is Gloomhaven.

So yes, if you don't like fantasy dungeon crawls then Gloomhaven probably isn't for you. I say probably because the core tactical combat gameplay is satisfying enough for people who don't otherwise care about tabletop RPGs in the same way that Smash Bros. is both a good fighting game and a good casual party game.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

I played Game of Thrones for the first time yesterday. Half of us had never played it, and we were doing the 7 player variant, so it took the entire afternoon and evening, but I still enjoyed it throughout. The state of the board, player strengths, and alliances fluctuated enough throughout the game that I didn't feel it ever got stale, or at the point where anyone's victory or loss was inevitable. I played Lannister, had a truce with Baratheon and Tyrell which formed a buffer zone while they hammered it out with Arryn and Martell, and mostly fought with Greyjoy while everyone else tore each other down. I ended up eking out a win on a tiebreaker in the last round by backstabbing Tyrell and invading Highgarden, while their armies were off handling Martell.

It was fun, would play again. The main problem is finding five other people who have enough free time for a game.

fozzy fosbourne
Apr 21, 2010

I am in the middle of a move and found my GoT Feast of Crows expansion that makes it playable at 4. I should play that.

edit:

G L O O M H A V E N
L
O
O
M
H
A
V
E
N

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I have a friend who loves Zombicide. I've never played it, but from what I understand (mainly from this thread), it's garbage.

Can someone provide the quick bullet points of why it's so bad? I'm not trying to get in an argument with my friend, but I'm genuinely curious since the game and its expansions are so ubiquitous.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
So, apart from Gloomhaven, Food Chain Magnate, and Advanced Squad Leader, what would the thread's recommendation be for a game I could get a six year old to keep him from falling into the Yu-Gi-Oh! sinkhole?

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

Hannibal Rex posted:

So, apart from Gloomhaven, Food Chain Magnate, and Advanced Squad Leader, what would the thread's recommendation be for a game I could get a six year old to keep him from falling into the Yu-Gi-Oh! sinkhole?

Magic: The Gathering.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

I have a friend who loves Zombicide. I've never played it, but from what I understand (mainly from this thread), it's garbage.

Can someone provide the quick bullet points of why it's so bad? I'm not trying to get in an argument with my friend, but I'm genuinely curious since the game and its expansions are so ubiquitous.

It's not bad, it's just a very bog standard scenario based action game in an oversaturated market filled with far more interesting titles. It's basically a good version of the old game Zombies!!! but you're turning a horrible board game into something that is just playable.

CMON are master marketers and Zombicide was one of their early successes. It's pretty easy to see what that game is still popular even though the zombie genre is pretty dead in pop culture.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad
I found spirit island for like half the price I'd seen it anywhere, and then that site was having a discount. I love coop games, but mostly I love asymmetry, and the theme seemed cool AND you guys have been raving about it, so I picked it up. Looking through the rules, (and some of the reminders in the rules) it looks like it gets pretty complex once you get into it. Y'all had the hookups on info for gloomhaven and Robinson Crusoe (which I loving LOVE btw), anyone got any "Good to know in advance" tips for spirit island?

Man, Robinson Crusoe, I love how brutal it is! We actually beat the first mission on our third attempt, but getting knocked down doesn't feel disparaging, it always feels like victory is in sight (even if it's probably sometimes technically impossible). When you lose its usually quite abrupt and CRUSHING, but you always think, "if I'd prepared better, I'd have been fine!". When you ARE prepared, and hell comes knocking, it's immensely gratifying weathering the storm.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'd like to hear their opinion on 4ed DnD.

He says it was the best version.

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Allow me to clarify.

D&D 4e is the best D&D because D&D is a trash RPG so you might as well focus on it's strength as a tactical dungeon crawl.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Hannibal Rex posted:

Indonesia. Bonus: also helps with multiplication and addition.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I adore 2p co-ops and was really disappointed in Spirit Island.

People complained the arc of the game is anti-climactic, and that really did it for me. The best part of Pandemic is getting down to the end of the game and realizing that if the next card is New York you lose and if it's anything else you win. Then lingering over flipping that last card. Turning the formula around made the game feel too overtly like a puzzle for what we wanted from that class of game.

I did enjoy the production value and liked what the game was doing in theory, and I really loved that I sold it for about 50% more than I paid for it.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Corbeau posted:

Allow me to clarify.

D&D 4e is the best D&D because D&D is a trash RPG so you might as well focus on it's strength as a tactical dungeon crawl.

I thought I was the only one who liked the Blood-Bowl-ification of 4E. At the same point, holy gently caress they didn't playtest the numbers enough and absolutely everything takes way too long to kill.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

!Klams posted:

Man, Robinson Crusoe, I love how brutal it is! We actually beat the first mission on our third attempt, but getting knocked down doesn't feel disparaging, it always feels like victory is in sight (even if it's probably sometimes technically impossible). When you lose its usually quite abrupt and CRUSHING, but you always think, "if I'd prepared better, I'd have been fine!". When you ARE prepared, and hell comes knocking, it's immensely gratifying weathering the storm.

The problem I have with Robinson Crusoe, besides the terrible manual, is that victory or defeat felt like a matter of luck rather than strategy. I could have made every single choice correctly, of which there really aren't that many, and just got hosed over from RNG. Gonna go hunting for some food oops found a croc guess nobody eats. Gonna go draw from this pile that bafflingly has both good and bad events in it oops keep drawing bad events. Gonna go see if I can do these two things oops fubared both die rolls.

Robinson Crusoe isn't a game where you strategize your way through poo poo, and the only decision is which RNG I wanted to subject myself to.

Corbeau posted:

D&D 4e also has the benefit of not being designed by a dude who supports toxic gamer personalities that drive people away from the hobby/internet.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

Pseudoscorpion posted:

Magic: The Gathering.
reported for child abuse

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Hannibal Rex posted:

You can check out some living card games if you need to hit the ccg itch without the money pit aspect. I play VS 2pcg which is mostly Marvel stuff. They just released a set with pictures from the movies if the kid is into them.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

CaptainRightful posted:

The base game is just running through the map, searching through a single massive deck one card at a time for the card you need, and running to the exit. Combat is bog standard, roll a bunch of dice and hope you roll high enough to kill the zombies. But you can't reliably mitigate randomness with equipment, because all the equipment comes from the single random deck. Even the enemies aren't that interesting, because the stronger zombies are just grunt zombies with more hp or grunt zombies that can take two actions instead of one. Pretty much the only interesting decision is the noise mechanic, which changes where the zombies move on their turn.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Oldstench posted:

I'm not aware of anybody who said they hated tactical combat, fantasy settings, etc who was recommended Gloomhaven tho...? Also, "I didn't like it" is kinda weak, if you wanted a good hot take you could talk about why you didn't like it.

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010
Why isn't :gloomhaven: a thing yet?

apart from "because smilies have limited space that won't fit the enormous box"

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

!Klams posted:

I found spirit island for like half the price I'd seen it anywhere, and then that site was having a discount. I love coop games, but mostly I love asymmetry, and the theme seemed cool AND you guys have been raving about it, so I picked it up. Looking through the rules, (and some of the reminders in the rules) it looks like it gets pretty complex once you get into it. Y'all had the hookups on info for gloomhaven and Robinson Crusoe (which I loving LOVE btw), anyone got any "Good to know in advance" tips for spirit island?

Doing good things occasionally is often better than doing bad things consistently, but the converse is also true.

Slow powers can be better than fast at dealing with the explorers. You know they're coming, and there's only a few options for Invader cards drawn each turn. If you deal with those explorers, that can prevent a build and a ravage.

You're going to feel like you're losing, until you realize you're actually about to win.

The best thing about England is that once you stop, everything else feels so good and fair. The best thing about all the other adversaries is that they aren't England.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

GrandpaPants posted:

The problem I have with Robinson Crusoe is that victory or defeat felt like a matter of luck rather than strategy. Gonna go hunting for some food oops found a croc guess nobody eats.

Huxley posted:

The best part of Pandemic is getting down to the end of the game and realizing that if the next card is New York you lose and if it's anything else you win.

I love that there's a game out there for everyone, lol.

/edit:

rchandra posted:

Awesome spirit island tips

Sick man, cheers!

This sort of stuff is super useful, as I'm fully expecting my group to lean on me hard for strategy at first.

!Klams fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Jul 3, 2018