Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.

Friendly Fire posted:

To be fair, that's still better than 95% of our sitting politicians.

I mean yes, but talk about a low bar

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

JBP posted:

She was loving annoying initially but settled into her job and is pretty good now imo.

Would you say she was a bit hysterical,

Also, I'm loving pissed because the HK-based grey import site I used to buy all my electronics from (cheap android phones, headphones, earbuds, etc) from just shut down because loving Morrison's one-eyed insistence on enforcing a lovely regressive tax, rather than actually tax people on what they earn like we loving should.

So now we have to pay ridiculous gently caress you margins to Gerry "Scumfuck" Harvey, or which ever gouging gently caress owns JB Hifi (who have jacked their prices WAY up since Dick Smith shut down or am I crazy?) rather than getting poo poo from the source.

GOOD JOB.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
I always thought I was about to have a schizoid embolism when SHY was on because it was like being mentally assaulted by every single student politics lecture invader at once.

Jonah Galtberg
Feb 11, 2009

Solemn Sloth posted:

I mean yes, but talk about a low bar

the height of the bar is irrelevant when you're talking about a double standard hth

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
there were some posts a while back about how SHY was trying to do SPLITS in the greens or something but compared to the rhiannon and bhathal splits shy’s looked like a non-event

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?

Dude McAwesome posted:

Littleproud or Lionhat?

The Lib Dem.

Also he publicly accused her of sleeping with someone and NAMED him on radio. So that’s two people who can sue him. And the 2 SKY people who sniggered along with him.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Jonah Galtberg posted:

the height of the bar is irrelevant when you're talking about a double standard hth

She’s easily the worst in the current continuing greens crop with the possible exception of Peter whish Wilson who is basically just a liberal voter who cares a bit about trees

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Is there anywhere you can actually watch that Sky segment or the part in question?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Probably not anymore, ABC articles declined to publish the transcript or the video for decorum's sake. If it's potential jury fodder in the future then it might cause complications for media who publish it as well.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Les Affaires posted:

Probably not anymore, ABC articles declined to publish the transcript or the video for decorum's sake. If it's potential jury fodder in the future then it might cause complications for media who publish it as well.

For all of these reasons I went and checked his youtube channel for it, but it isn't up there either.

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

I am boggled with how stupid leylandbus is for him to repeat comments like that outside of the bubble of protection that parliament affords its members.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Les Affaires posted:

I am boggled with how stupid leylandbus is for him to repeat comments like that outside of the bubble of protection that parliament affords its members.

Are you though? It’s not like he’s ever bristled with intelligence or even rat cunning, he’s just a very dumb very bald man who lucked into a high paying job

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Are you though? It’s not like he’s ever bristled with intelligence or even rat cunning, he’s just a very dumb very bald man who lucked into a high paying job

I am actually, because he's been in parliament for a while now and most people after sitting in that place for long enough learn how it works and how to play the game. Even if he has seen the writing on the wall and that he's not going to last for very long, why the gently caress would he just throw it all away along with a pile of money that SHY is probably now entitled to just to get a few likes for his facebook page?

He's managed to rally most other parliamentarians behind SHY, even if they're using reserved language that doesn't specifically name her or the Greens. The ones who may agree with him are smart enough to keep their mouth shut both in and out of parliament.

Zenithe
Feb 25, 2013

Ask not to whom the Anidavatar belongs; it belongs to thee.

Solemn Sloth posted:

just a very dumb very bald man who lucked into a high paying job

He was a proper vet. Which boggles my mind, and he's easiest the dumbest vet I've heard of.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

When the Cory hotline says you hosed up, you hosed up bad.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

quote:

The new system will require welfare recipients, including those in receipt of the age pension, disability pension and rent assistance, to take a photo of themselves using a camera or mobile phone and upload it to the government site.

It will then be compared to an official form of ID, such as a passport or driver’s licence, to confirm the claimant’s identity and allow the user to access their online account in order to claim their benefits. Government officials also hope it will make it harder for anyone attempting to fraudulently claim benefits to do so.
Anybody else see a flaw in this plan?

quote:

Minister for Human Services Michael Keenan said: “As a nation, we are already a long way down the road toward becoming a truly digital government and we should be proud of what we have achieved so far.

“We are already three years into a seven-year program to digitally transform the welfare payment system which will eventually enable all benefit types to be claimed and processed online. The advantages of achieving this goal are enormous. 

“Digitisation will also deliver significant cost savings for Government. At present, a traditional over the counter transaction such as registering a business name costs taxpayers $17 to process on average. By enabling transactions to be conducted entirely online, the cost of processing can drop to as little as about 40 cents.

1st, holy poo poo wtf else are they planning if this is only halfway and

2nd, Q: Why is registering a business name their example if they're talking about centrelink?
A: Because they have no examples of it working for the services centrelink provides.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

Les Affaires posted:

I am actually, because he's been in parliament for a while now and most people after sitting in that place for long enough learn how it works and how to play the game. Even if he has seen the writing on the wall and that he's not going to last for very long, why the gently caress would he just throw it all away along with a pile of money that SHY is probably now entitled to just to get a few likes for his facebook page?

He's managed to rally most other parliamentarians behind SHY, even if they're using reserved language that doesn't specifically name her or the Greens. The ones who may agree with him are smart enough to keep their mouth shut both in and out of parliament.

Because he's a privileged idiot who has become so accustomed to never facing consequences for his actions that he simply never considered that he had to moderate them.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Les Affaires posted:

I think he probably thought that there’s more people who would choose to vote for him specifically due to this (the idiot PC GONE MAD reactionary crew) than have ever actually voted for him based on his policies (I think he’s actually right about that).

Based on that he reckons doubling down is his best shot to get re-elected, and completely failed to consider the idea of being held legally liable for it when speaking outside of parliament.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

Anybody else see a flaw in this plan?

1st, holy poo poo wtf else are they planning if this is only halfway and

2nd, Q: Why is registering a business name their example if they're talking about centrelink?
A: Because they have no examples of it working for the services centrelink provides.

Good luck with olds doing this.

Also good luck ever being compliant again if you have your payments cut off for 3 months and the only way to get them back is to take a photo of yourself and use the internet to upload it and you can't afford a phone with an internet connection, because you have no money.

Rather than implicitly trap people in inability to access welfare, lets explicitly trap them!

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

It might be that he's making a point about free speech or the onerosity of our defamation laws but it's a really risky and expensive way to make it.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

He really needed to watch the footage of Jeff Kennett calling someone a paedophile in parliament before deftly winking and smirking at cameras in public, while never mentioning what he actually said.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

What's the real reason? 50/50 favor to whoever is selling them the software/easy way to get all your undesirables facial recognition data

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN posted:

What's the real reason? 50/50 favor to whoever is selling them the software/easy way to get all your undesirables facial recognition data

It's 100% an easy way to bank the facial data of future enemies.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
nah it's just another built to fail compliance measure so they can kick people off for no reason and create more hoops to jump through.

I mean is anyone seriously impersonating other people to access centrelink voluntarily? I loving wouldn't' even access it for myself let alone for myself and someone else.

SMILLENNIALSMILLEN
Jun 26, 2009

Les Affaires posted:

It might be that he's making a point about free speech or the onerosity of our defamation laws but it's a really risky and expensive way to make it.

Iirc If you go back thru his Twitter etc you'll notice that he's into the "triggered?" style of comedy and is actually really dumb.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

I think it's a hoop jumping exercise, but it's also a good way to bank facial recognition data. If I were the Liberals, I would be going to great lengths to ensure police forces had access to data on poors.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Les Affaires posted:

Didn’t he also try to sue someone for defamation a while back?

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Im basically breaking Hanlon's razor here by the way. There's every chance he's just stupid, but sometimes it's nice to speculate on whether people like him are doing these things for some idiotic or principled reason.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Turns out being liked by internet edgelords isn't a good litmus test for being liked by the rest of society.

Who knew.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Hey boring rear end nerd accountant idiots in here, is it reasonable practice to apply depreciation to non physical assets?

Would it matter whether or not it has a defined useful lifetime(like a strategic document which is required to be done every X years vs something with a more nebulous lifespan like an ongoing policy doc)?

G-Spot Run
Jun 28, 2005
Isn't it just an easy way for Dept Homeland Security or whatever the Potato Reich is officially called to expand their purpose further and increase (or retain? I recall Vic biting back at the freedom of use they wanted to apply) the shared passport-driverslicence-etc system across states?

Edit: including pensioners is :discourse: levels of political suicide

fiery_valkyrie
Mar 26, 2003

I'm proud of you, Bender. Sure, you lost. You lost bad. But the important thing is I beat up someone who hurt my feelings in high school.

quote:

Journalists working for Australia's public broadcaster the ABC will not be issued visas for the upcoming Pacific Islands Forum in Nauru because of the broadcaster's "biased and false reporting", the Nauruan government said in a statement.

https://www.buzzfeed.com/joshtaylor/abc-banned-from-nauru-over-refugee-coverage?origin=shp&utm_term=.ygnbQxDVn#.ia6vwAZxj

Les Affaires
Nov 15, 2004

Solemn Sloth posted:

Hey boring rear end nerd accountant idiots in here, is it reasonable practice to apply depreciation to non physical assets?

Would it matter whether or not it has a defined useful lifetime(like a strategic document which is required to be done every X years vs something with a more nebulous lifespan like an ongoing policy doc)?

I'm assuming you mean intangible assets: https://treasury.gov.au/national-innovation-and-science-agenda/intangible-asset-depreciation/

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice

I wonder which Dutton staffer wrote that

CATTASTIC
Mar 31, 2010

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

https://twitter.com/SkyNewsAust/status/1013946229875593216

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy
Like it's not blatantly obvious what's going on here. We're hosed.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Similar, but that seems to limit to a defined class of assets such as patents and trademarks.

Don Dongington
Sep 27, 2005

#ideasboom
College Slice
These clowns are about a half step away from actually locking up Shorten on a trumped up charge.

gently caress, Cash already tried it on. If they weren't comically incompetent, we'd be in a full blown fascist regime now.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

so in short yes, but talking about “policy documents” in that context sounds wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

Solemn Sloth posted:

Similar, but that seems to limit to a defined class of assets such as patents and trademarks.

tell whoever’s idea this is that their brain is fully depreciated

• Locked thread